/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Virtues of Growing the Beard

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Virtues of Growing the Beard

It is mentioned in the collection of Ibn Maajah, that the Beloved of Allah, Hadrat Sayyidinaa Wa Mawlana Muhammad (PBUH] has said: Those who adopt the Sunnah of those who are not from us [Meaning the Disbelieves) are also not from among our group (Meaning Believers]. It is reported by Ibn Asaker that the Prince of Madina, Hadrat Sayyidina Wa Mawlana Muhammad (PBUH) has said: "Those who turn away from my Sunnah are not from my group (meaning not from my Ummah) Hadrat Abdullah Bin 'Umar has narrated that our Beloved master Hadrat Muhammad (PBUH) has said: Do the opposite of the Mushrikeen (unbelievers); Trim your moustache very short and grow your beards long. (Saheeh Bukhari). In the collection of Bayhaqi, it is reported that the Beloved of Allah, Hadrat Sayyidina wa Mawlana Muhammad (PBUH) has said: Trim your moustaches and grow your beards profusely. Do the opposite of the Jews and the Christians. Hadrat `Abdullaah Bin `Umar reports that our most Beloved Master Muhammad has said while talking about Majoosees (Fire Worshippers); "[These People] grow their moustache long and shave their beard. You must do the opposite of what they do" (Al-Tabarani) In the Bayhaqi collection, it is reported that the Beloved of Allah, Hadrat Sayyidina wa Mawlana Muhammad has said Trim your moustache and give profusion to your beards. Do the opposite of what the Yahood and Nasara do.

Importance of the Beard in the Words of Rasulullah :

Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection iwth one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication." - Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501
The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."
Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: "He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyâmat (Judgement)."
Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam) says: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow)." - Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498
"Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard" says Ibn Umar. - Muslim, Hadith no. 449
Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard." - Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500
Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard." - Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501
Rasulullah (SallAllâhu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allâh" - Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi
Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) used to cut that portion (which exceeds the grip of the hand) of the beard.- Tirmidhi

Concerning Adherence to the Sunnah in the Holy Qur'ân:

"O ye who believe! Obey Allâh, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you." [Holy Qur'ân 4:59]
"O ye who believe! Obey Allâh and His Messenger, and turn not away from him when ye hear (him speak)." [Holy Qur'ân 8:20]
"O ye who believe! give your response to Allâh and His Messenger, when He calleth you to that which will give you life; and know that Allâh cometh in between a man and his heart, and that it is He to Whom ye shall (all) be gathered." [Holy Qur'ân 8:24]
"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allâh an excellent exempler for him who hopes in Allâh and the Final Day, and who remembers Allâh." [Holy Qur'ân 33:21]
"What Allâh has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allâh,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; in order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger gives you, and refrain from what he prohibits you. And fear Allâh: for Allâh is strict in Punishment." [Holy Qur'ân 59:7]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
i can feel anothe argument starting when i get home.

me:"mum why cant i keep a beard"
mum:"BOY WHAT DID U SAY?"

its weird how sum parents think keepin a beard makes u an extremist :?

MetSudaisTwice
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
salam
i would love to keep a beard, like SST style
but patience is a virtue in my case
wasalam

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
i would love to keep a beard, like SST style
but patience is a virtue in my case
wasalam
lol beard duzt grow?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Islamicboy
03-22-2006, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
i can feel anothe argument starting when i get home.

me:"mum why cant i keep a beard"
mum:"BOY WHAT DID U SAY?"

Just parents lol my whole family and cousins tried stopping me from growing a beard. I still get picked on by my family members becuase they claim to be moderate Muslims but that still did not stop me from growing a beard :brother:

abdul Majid
03-22-2006, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy
Just parents lol my whole family and cousins tried stopping me from growing a beard. I still get picked on by my family members becuase they claim to be moderate Muslims but that still did not stop me from growing a beard :brother:

mashallah ahkee stay strong as you are, alhamdulillah

abdul Majid
03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
LOL,
for the record, beards are in mans nature to be grown, they shouldnt be cut off, the first people to

shave their beards i beleive were the people of LOOT....a homosexual town, and they did it to portray

the look of the woman !!!!!

Umm Yoosuf
03-22-2006, 10:16 PM
loq Mu'minah.

Nice post Masha Allah :)

A brother who doesn't grow a beard is lacking in iman. Insha Allah though once our brothers in Islam know growing the beard is wajib then they should act upon what they have learnt :)

abdul Majid
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
correct

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2006, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
correct
i second the motion of this good sir

do we have a third?

Falafel Eater
03-22-2006, 11:46 PM
My post is not in reply to anyone here, but just some points which i have noticed over the years about this issue and some practising Muslims particularly in the West.

Beard is important Sunnah for all men,

But, i feel sorry for those who are so shallow minded that they automatically think every Muslim man with a big beard is a good Muslim, and compare them to someone with no beard and think the latter is somehow inferior in Deen.

Its not a guarantee that person is even following the Sunnah properly, everyone has beards, he could be going home and doing some crazy "next level" Shirk!!

I do have a beard, but i also have Muslim friends with no beards and have known people with exceptionally large beards and equally large egos or bad personality/beliefs, and who the people pumped up to celebrity like da'ee status out of just broken arabic and thin air. - These same people often do not give salams or treat non-bearded Muslims with proper respect, or brotherhood. --

Also, a finer point to make, is making fun of Muslims who do not have beards or who do not practise. I have witnessed brothers give talks in which they make fun of people in the room who do not have beards, by saying they look gay, womanly etc... Making fun of people is not from the manners of the Salaf nor is it dawah.

This is a bad situation for our Muslims in the West.

- By the way, please read my post and understand what i say before replying, I am not saying anything against keeping the beard. It is the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW) and he commanded it.

However one must remember Islam is not just merely Beard and Niqab. It is Tawheed and Aqeedah and other issues too.

People have habit of simply focussing and critising the outside appearance whilst neglecting the inside, the heart of the person, his/her actual beliefs..

Most of what i said is common sense and any Muslim who is basing their attitudes and personality on Quran and Sunnah will understand that we should not be judgemental or prejudiced. However, I unfortunately know some brothers and sisters who would disagree with everything here, and who look down on other Muslims who do not conform to the way they should look and behave, as if they are perfecct.

abdul Majid
03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
salam alakum

very true brother, i understand you,

and would like to add, that alot people think only Imams grow beards....

Al-Mu'min
03-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Salamu Alaykum

I have two questions brothers and sisters:

1. Is it O.K to trim the part that rockets to the sides? So that the beard would grow straight down?

2. Is it O.K to trim the hair that grows on the cheeks?I have seen brothers
who have a bear but you can see thier facial shape because they trim the cheek hair.

Ghazi
03-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Salaam

I've got a question, Say If someones beard doesn't grow is it permissable for him to shave to grow the beard cause in my case it works the hairs come back thicker and more grow.

Z
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Salaam.

What do you shave if there's no hair?

Ghazi
03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

What do you shave if there's no hair?
Salaam

There's facial hair but It's kind of in a slumber, not growing after I shave it grows back thicker and more grow.

Z
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Salaam.

Umm if your beard is not growing because of your body and natural reasons, wouldn't it be better for you to leave it?

However hard you may desire for a beard, Allah may not want you to have a big one.

hamzaa
03-23-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

I've got a question, Say If someones beard doesn't grow is it permissable for him to shave to grow the beard cause in my case it works the hairs come back thicker and more grow.
salaam,

Bear in mind, its written to lenghten your beard and not you must grow your beard. Due to fact, many bros ie chinese origin etc, have no facial hair. How can it be mandatory upon them, to grow their beard.

salaam

Z
03-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Salaam.

How the heck am I putting him off? If nature says no, then it's a no. Why play with mother nature.

hamzaa
03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

If nature says no, then it's a no. Why play with mother nature.
:w:

"mother nature":rollseyes

abdul Majid
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM
ti just wanted to say for the record, in general, we dont grow our beards, lol...it grows naturally by ALLAH(swt), he(swt) created us like this....

so we dont grow our beards, rather we have to stop CUTTING THEM OFF...

wasalam

Z
03-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Salaam.

Maybe Allah only wants him to grow that little bit.

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
akhee islam-truth... i asked a knowledgable brother who runs this islamic course about your question. He will answer it on friday insha-Allah. I hope i can be of help.

Mohsin
06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
:sl:

A lot of bro's from certain parts of the world try to grow beards but they can't, so they resort to shaving. The prophet SAW never shaved in his whole life, bnot once, nor did the young sahaabah growing up during the time of Islam. My friends from Malysia for example often get down when their beards don't grow, but we should remember it is the intention that is important. I can't remember the name of the sahaabi, but he would try to grow his beard but he could only ever muster 3 hairs! Subhanallah, but his intention was one of a full beard, and for that reason alone Angels would visit him and do tawaaf around his 3 hairs on his face, subhanallah!

So we shoudl remember even if due to mother nature or whatever if our beards do not grow, we should not shave to make them grow faster as some bros do, rather we should let them grow slowly, as this way not only will our beards eventually look nicer as they wont be thick from constant shaving, but we are being patient for the sake of allah

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah, i forgot. The brother said to leave it, as it is a blessing.
W'salaam

Malaikah
06-22-2006, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
:sl:

tell me about it man its amazing

*.... no im not trying to grow a beard*:rollseyes

Ayesha Rana
06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
If you love the prophet you will follow his sunnah. Simple as that.:statisfie

Daffodil
06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
my husband asked this question n no ur not allowed to shave it just to make it grow longer, u just gotta leave it.

N yea theres a hadith about how the prophet sorta laughed at this paticular sahaba who only had three hairs as a beard n he got vexed n sed why u laughin at me n he goes that the angels were playing with ur beard awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww how sweet, can u imagine bless mashallah subhanallah thats just cute man.

Yes beards can be a bit itchy sometimes like one of the sisters sed, if ur married dnt forget to use ur wifes conditioner itll make it nice n soft n wnt scratch her face everytime u approach her. but it still does tickle. my husband loves his beard, its his pride n glory, he gets so vexed wen i yank it but doesnt mind so much wen i put my sweet wrappers in it. altho its annoying cuz wen hes done wudhu he comes up to me saying "soggy beard soggy beard" n wets my face with it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr annoying. i like picking bits of food out of it wen hes eating. bless. Mashallah beards are great.

Abdul-Raouf
09-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Masha'allah i have beard..

i stopped shaving my beard..7 months ago....

Thought of having a beard...

its quite thick but.. the sad thing is i trim it when it grows more than 15mm or so...

Insha'allah ..i will have a big beard..(one fist long)...soon

Thanks for the article

Jazakallah khair

zarhad
09-11-2007, 03:25 AM
If anyone tells you not to grow a beard its bad on them but in some cases men cant grow a beard like in certian work places atc or here in canada you can but depending on the area your in you may get alot of stares.

but i think its up to the man to choose either way or decide when to gorw a beard, no one elses choise not mother or wife or brother. etc.

:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.