/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shariah Vs. Islam

snakelegs
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
a different view.

http://www.countercurrents.org/faiz280306.htm

some excerpts:

"The Sharia law has been criticized due to its clash with the known and recognized global standards of human rights especially its clauses relating to blasphemy, Hudood, Qisas or Diyat issues. These clauses have harshly been used in many of the Muslim countries mostly to set personal scores against minorities, and to badly violate the minorities' and women's rights."

"Although it is considered that the Sharia law has been inspired by the Quran yet in fact it has been developed and evolved through medieval Islamic periods with the will and efforts of the then Islamic rulers. The Sharia as it developed in the first few centuries of Islam incorporated many pre-Islamic Middle-Eastern indigenous and tribal customs and traditions."

"The basic Islamic ideology in the Quran ensures freedom of religion: "Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and the converts; anyone who (1) believes in God, and (2) believes in the Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will receive their recompense from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve". 2:62] "Let there be no compulsion in religion" [2:256] similarly there is no death penalty for apostasy even: "Surely (as for) those who believe then disbelieve, again believe and again disbelieve, then increase in disbelief, Allah will not forgive them nor guide them in the (right) path" [4:137].

"It is important to note here that the Quran authorizes death penalty for murder and other horrendous crimes, not for apostasy: "You shall not kill any person - for GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice" [17:33]. Another Quranic verse states: "For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men" [5:32]. Similarly one can find numerous inconsistencies between the basic Islamic principles and the proposed Shariah law. For instance, Shariah sanctions stoning to death for both the adulterer and adulteress, while the Quran prescribes 100 lashes as punishment for adultery."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello Snakelegs,
With all due respect, the article you are quiting from betrays a blatant ignorance of very basic Islamic principles.

Shari'ah is not simply 'inspired' by Islam, Shari'ah is Islam. Shari'ah is the entire constituion of the religion. Everything in Shari'ah must have its roots in the Qur'an and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh. The entirety of Islamic laws are referred to as the Shari'ah in the Qur'an itself:
45:18 Then have We established you (O Muhammad) upon the Shari'ah from Our Command, so follow it and do not follow the desires of those who know not.

There are no 'tribal customs' in Shari'ah. If something does not have any basis in the Qur'an and Ahadith then it is not part of the Shari'ah.

As for the issues discussed, here are some links:
http://www.islamicboard.com/232188-post29.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...-apostasy.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ariah-law.html
http://blog.menj.org/wp-content/Lash...w_Barbaric.pdf
http://www.islamicboard.com/depth-is...ing-death.html

Regards

Nicola
03-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Another Quranic verse states: "For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men"

Would someone please explain what this scripture means?

azim
03-29-2006, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
Would someone please explain what this scripture means?
It is reffering to the story (I believe it's in Genesis in the Bible) of the two sons of Adam. When one brother killed the other over jealously.

Allah has ordained that if one takes a life, except for in the conditions prescribed, they are considered as if they have killed all of mankind. The same if one saves a life, it is written down as if they saved mankind entirely.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
03-30-2006, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hello Snakelegs,
With all due respect, the article you are quiting from betrays a blatant ignorance of very basic Islamic principles.

Shari'ah is not simply 'inspired' by Islam, Shari'ah is Islam. Shari'ah is the entire constituion of the religion. Everything in Shari'ah must have its roots in the Qur'an and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh. The entirety of Islamic laws are referred to as the Shari'ah in the Qur'an itself:
45:18 Then have We established you (O Muhammad) upon the Shari'ah from Our Command, so follow it and do not follow the desires of those who know not.

There are no 'tribal customs' in Shari'ah. If something does not have any basis in the Qur'an and Ahadith then it is not part of the Shari'ah.
hi ansar,
i am quite ignorant about islam. but one thing i have learned is that there is not one thing called "Islam". i have read in other places too how the hadiths are much more harsh than the qur'an, whether it comes to killing apostastes or listening to music and that some pay more attention to the hadees than to the qur'an.
the general view on this forum is much more narrow than i have run in to before.
thanks for the links. i will check them out when i have more time

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-30-2006, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
hi am quite ignorant about islam. but one thing i have learned is that there is not one thing called "Islam".
It is true that you will find in the world today different groups advancing their own views and saying, "This is Islam" despite vast differences. For a Non-Muslim it may be confusing and difficult to determine who is telling the truth. But the answer is really quite simple. As Muslims we are to follow Islam as it was revealed by God in the Qur'an, explained and implemented by the Prophet Muhammad pbuh, and as it was understood by his companions, the direct recipients of the message, because their understanding was the correct understanding.

The idea of rejecting Ahadith only comes about in Muslims who are, unfortunately, not well-educated about their religion and they read some ahadith that they find troubling or harsh and instead of seeking clarification from the hadith commentary and the scholars (because somethimes one hadith explains another) they simply decide to reject all of them. You can get an understanding of this issue from my recent discussion with some hadith-rejectors:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ith-women.html

Ninth_Scribe
03-30-2006, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
hi ansar,
i am quite ignorant about islam. but one thing i have learned is that there is not one thing called "Islam". i have read in other places too how the hadiths are much more harsh than the qur'an, whether it comes to killing apostastes or listening to music and that some pay more attention to the hadees than to the qur'an.
Oh! Oh! Thank you for this! It's been my problem all along! Not the Shari'ah itself, but the variety of interpretations. At first, I concluded that this is partly due to the tribal nature of the people, but have since decided that the lack of a Council (one that recognizes and is willing to be responsible for all the branches of the family tree), is the cause of the... unique interpretations. I've been collecting these disputes... a good 2500 years of them. It makes me feel overwhelmed at times. Sigh.

Thank you, the Mujahideen, for releasing my home girl, Jill.

Ninth Scribe

DaSangarTalib
03-30-2006, 07:48 PM
yep the Mujahideen are very nice ppl once you get to know them :)

nimrod
03-31-2006, 03:35 AM
Nicola the verse you are asking about means the exact same thing as when Jesus taught th principal.

Who ever does this for the lest of these does the same for me.

Anyone who kills an innocent man just as well have to killed Jesus.
Anyone who saves an innocent man could just as well saved Jesus.

Thanks
Nimrod

Al-Mu'min
03-31-2006, 03:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nimrod
Nicola the verse you are asking about means the exact same thing as when Jesus taught th principal.

Who ever does this for the lest of these does the same for me.

Anyone who kills an innocent man just as well have to killed Jesus.
Anyone who saves an innocent man could just as well saved Jesus.

Thanks
Nimrod
Yes but there is a huge difference in meaning. As Muslims, we believe Jesus to be part of makind. So if i save you for example, I'll be saving mankind, including Jesus. But if i kill you, it will be as if i killed the whole of mankind, includind Jesus, Muhammed and the rest of humanity.

That is why our prophet [pbuh] encouraged us to learn swimming( to help drowning people) and other methods of trying to save people.

nimrod
03-31-2006, 04:12 AM
Al-Mu'min, you and I are on the same page concerning the questioned verse. I can't disagree with your reply because we agree.

Thanks
Nimrod

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.