/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beloved Prophet says Exercise!

Pure
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Sport is full of benefits, not only physical and social ones, but also essential and psychological consequences. It goes without saying that men and women are in need of sport and exercise in order to maintain physical fitness and to be in a more balanced emotional state.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) advised his followers to engage in many forms of sport, which are even today considered of the best form of exercise.

In the very beginning, we are to note that Islam sanctions anything that is pure and beneficial for man. It encourages a Muslim to be strong and to seek the means of strength. In his Hadith, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, commands us saying: “Teach your children swimming, archery and horse-riding.” This direct call to practice sports shows the great importance Islam places on sports in training the Muslims and making their bodies healthy and sound. It is no wonder also to hear the saying: “A sound mind is in a sound body.”

Muslims are commanded to be of sound bodies and sound minds in addition to having sound morals. In the Hadith, we read: “A strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak one.” (Reported by Muslim) A sound strong body is capable of fulfilling both the religious and the worldly duties. Islam never accepts anything that leads to neglecting these duties, save in some cases where some exemptions are made so as to make matters easy for believers.

The effects of sports on the body:

In his well known book ‘Zad-Al-Ma`aad’, Imam Ibnul-Qayyem states that movement is the core of sports. It helps the body get rid of waste food in a very normal way. It makes it active, enhances its immunity and protects it from diseases. Each organ has its own sport that suits it. As for horse-riding, archery, wrestling and racing, they are sports that benefit the whole body.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
03-29-2006, 01:56 PM
salam
jazakallah for posting sis
wasalam

mizan_aliashraf
03-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Salam
Jazakillah Khayr - A good article
Wassalam

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure
“A strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak one.” (Reported by Muslim) .
doesnt the above refer to iman and not the physical state of the body?

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
03-29-2006, 02:14 PM
its difficult for sisters to go swimming tho..we have the facility for a womens only session..however the lifeguard is a male..and the women have to wear swimming costumes..so i jus dont bother..tho i used to love swimmin wen i was a lil kid.. :(..oh well..
:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2006, 02:17 PM
^ we got places round peckham n stuff, no lifeguard but hey no witnesses :p

AhlaamBella
03-29-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijabi_19
its difficult for sisters to go swimming tho..we have the facility for a womens only session..however the lifeguard is a male..and the women have to wear swimming costumes..so i jus dont bother..tho i used to love swimmin wen i was a lil kid.. :(..oh well..
:w:
alhamdulilah there is a MUSLIM women's only session right near my house so I go every week. :bravo:

afriend2
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
salaam,

i love my exercise! i go to *coughaerobicsclassescough& ;D and mashAllah i do sports too! am glad they have women only classes mashAllah! :)
i wish i could grow taller for basketball :'(

lol jazakAllah for sharing the informative post! :)

wassalam

Maimunah
03-29-2006, 05:52 PM
mashaallah jazakaallah khayr for the info
i dont exercise bt am not obese alhamdulilaah:)

Pure
03-30-2006, 05:51 AM
Subhanallah, come on Muslim Ummah should not fall into the traps of the fast-food places, and the couch potato in front of the television

we are much more! Subhanallah the sunnah is filled with wisdom.. Let us be a healthy nation and be active in our community!

Mohammed Bilal
04-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I go to badminton, karate, football and many other sports. I have also heard that the holy prophet (PBUH) used to wrestle. Can anyone confirm this?

Mohammed Bilal
04-02-2006, 10:59 PM
If anyone can confirm this PM me thankyou.

Eliwen
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd love to do all that, but I never get a chance...

Thanks for posting sis :)

Mohammed Bilal
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
LOl

Pure
04-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Inshallah we can all begin with small actions such as

1) take a 15-30 min. bike ride, or roller blade around your local community.

2) buy a work out video ie. Pilates to use every other day for 20 to 30 minutes when coming from work or school.
3) Learn a couple of exercises from websites or magazines to do everyday or every other day.

4) Take up classes or join a gym!

*** Make sure to take steps to changing your diet by small steps as well, ie. smaller portions of junk food, and larger portions of vegetables, fresh fruit and dried fruits, whole grains through out the day!

akulion
04-03-2006, 02:55 AM
jazak Allah khair - thanks for the info :)

Snowflake
04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I prefer roller-skating, cycling, badminton & power-walking rather than exercising in a gym. And in my mid-teens, I used to exercise in the back-garden after fajr and watch the sunrise. I was super fit in those days. Then few years ago I got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and could hardly walk. I know that's due to having gone through a lot of painful emotional things and suffering alone. I believe that a person's mental wellbeing has a direct effect on their physical health. I only start recovering 2 years ago and getting better each day alhumdulillah. Extra vitamin C supplements are a blessing lol.

So apart from eating heathily and exercising, we should turn to Allah for help in hard times and get as much help and support from loved ones, instead of bottling things up and suffering from needless anxiety and pain. A troubled mind can play havoc with one's health. May Allah grant us all with good health, mentally and physically. Ameen.

Tnx for the post sis.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-03-2006, 08:58 AM
umm... excersize.... i guess i wrestle now and then :hiding:

lol naa i love boxing and joggin/swimmin etc plus da usual situps/pressups routineee n streeetching!!!

:coolbro:

:sl: :peace:

Pure
04-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Mashallah brothers and sisters, I am so happy to hear you guyz keeping yourselves fit, inshallah in the long run it will be all worth it, the feel good hormones are extreted inside the body, way better than binging on chocolate and ice cream.

I believe that a person's mental wellbeing has a direct effect on their physical health.
exactly sister! Right now I am reading a National Bestseller called When the Body Says No by Gabor Mate, M.D. The Cost of Hidden Stress

Subhanallah sister, stress, emotional problems, is the number ONE why people suffer health problems and diseases. We must understand that the mind and the body is not separable, they are in relation with one another, if you in emotional states, this affects the mind considerably and the mind is in control of your body!

I highly recommend the book!

Snowflake
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Sounds like an interesting read. Is it available online?

Pure
04-04-2006, 12:05 PM
No, but you can reserve it at the Library, or buy it online or maybe in a book store.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.