/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to read the Quran ?

Anette
04-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I bought the Quran at my own language, a translation because I am curious. But I need some guidance.

If I like to know more about Islam by reading the Quran were to begin? Is it written like to begin from the beginning or is it part of the Quran that is written in different purposes.

What are your personal favourite parts (if you are allowed to have any)?

Is there anyone that have read it or looked at a Swedish translation? Is it any main differences regarding the original one? Is it big differences regarding different translations in general?

My intentions are not to find differences or contradictions etc. I want to read the Quran to learn more about Islam and hopefully learn something.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
04-01-2006, 05:20 PM
i think u can read the quraan in the english or other languages translation only. non muslim cannot touch the arabic form. the koran is organised in chapters. so u can start from any chapter u like. for more info abt the quraan check this link http://www.islam101.com/science/GaryMiller.html

itsme01
04-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Peace Be Upon You Sis. Annete,

You question is abit comical :X , start from the First Sura Fatiha (The Opening) and keep reading it just like any book - however do pay close attention to the meaning. If you have problem understanding anything I, and bros/sis. here will be delighted to help you.

Till Then,
God Be With You.

- Qatada -
04-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey.

On my opinion, reading the biography of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) will give you a more better understanding of the Qur'an.

This is because you'll see how the Qur'an was revealed (i.e. revealed within a period of 23yrs) you'll see what the society was like at that time, and how the Qur'an got revealed within that society, within different situations.

Also, i think that reading the biography will give you a better understanding on why the verses got revealed. You'll also understand how the sayings (hadith) of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) explain the verses of the Qur'an to mankind. So its important to read the sayings of our beloved Prophet (peace be upon him) along with the Qur'an.

And on my personal opinion, reading the Qur'an from the end, to the beginning may be more interesting. You might want to give that a try.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Anette
04-01-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by itsme01
Peace Be Upon You Sis. Annete,

You question is abit comical :X , start from the First Sura Fatiha (The Opening) and keep reading it just like any book - however do pay close attention to the meaning. If you have problem understanding anything I, and bros/sis. here will be delighted to help you.

Till Then,
God Be With You.
I was thinking about the Bible it is really different regarding were you beginning. The old part is very different from the newer part and there are different books. It is a jungle reading the Bible if you begin in the beginning you will be quite confused. :giggling:

Anette
04-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok, but forgive me not knowing - is the biography of Prophet Muhammad a part of the Quran or would I have to read about it at any other place? History is my main subject so I thing that understanding the culture at the time would help me personally.

abdul Majid
04-01-2006, 05:52 PM
salam annete,

do you want a bio on the Prophet (pbh)??

itsme01
04-01-2006, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anette
Ok, but forgive me not knowing - is the biography of Prophet Muhammad a part of the Quran or would I have to read about it at any other place? History is my main subject so I thing that understanding the culture at the time would help me personally.
Biography of Muhammad [Peace Be Upon Him]
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/prophet/

Its recommended that you read the biography of The Last Prophet (i.e. Muhammad [PBUH]) - However, you do not need to be good at knowing the biography of the Final Prophet [PBUH] - as Quran is self-explaintory.

Maimunah
04-01-2006, 05:54 PM
no read the quraan first coz its better to start with allah's words. its quite clear am sure u will enjoy reading especially the first few chapter!! then read the biography of mohamed peace be upon and other prophets in islam.
here's a link: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/prophet/
i hope that u find the true guidence:)

Anette
04-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Thank you for your answers. If I understand it right: some of you think that it would be helpful reading the biography first in order to understand the culture at the time the Quran was written and some of you think that it would be better if I read from the Quran first.

Maimunah
04-01-2006, 06:16 PM
sis get them both and choose whichever that pleases u. u will learn alot from both of them if god wills:)

abdul Majid
04-01-2006, 06:18 PM
the Quran will also give you lots of info, about life and its way, in general..

hope you learn more...

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.