/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Hadith and genetics

Abu Omar
04-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Assalaamu aleykum.

Some kuffar claims that this Hadith contradicts modern DNA and genetics studies. I'll insha'Allaah paste the whole Hadith here, and make the statement of concern in bold.

"Narrated Anas:

When 'Abdullah bin Salam heard the arrival of the Prophet at Medina, he came to him and said, "I am going to ask you about three things which nobody knows except a prophet: What is the first portent of the Hour? What will be the first meal taken by the people of Paradise? Why does a child resemble its father, and why does it resemble its maternal uncle" Allah's Apostle said, "Gabriel has just now told me of their answers." 'Abdullah said, "He (i.e. Gabriel), from amongst all the angels, is the enemy of the Jews." Allah's Apostle said, "The first portent of the Hour will be a fire that will bring together the people from the east to the west; the first meal of the people of Paradise will be Extra-lobe (caudate lobe) of fish-liver. As for the resemblance of the child to its parents: If a man has sexual intercourse with his wife and gets discharge first, the child will resemble the father, and if the woman gets discharge first, the child will resemble her." On that 'Abdullah bin Salam said, "I testify that you are the Apostle of Allah." 'Abdullah bin Salam further said, "O Allah's Apostle! The Jews are liars, and if they should come to know about my conversion to Islam before you ask them (about me), they would tell a lie about me." The Jews came to Allah's Apostle and 'Abdullah went inside the house. Allah's Apostle asked (the Jews), "What kind of man is 'Abdullah bin Salam amongst you?" They replied, "He is the most learned person amongst us, and the best amongst us, and the son of the best amongst us." Allah's Apostle said, "What do you think if he embraces Islam (will you do as he does)?" The Jews said, "May Allah save him from it." Then 'Abdullah bin Salam came out in front of them saying, "I testify that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah." Thereupon they said, "He is the evilest among us, and the son of the evilest amongst us," and continued talking badly of him." - Sahih al-Bukhaari

Please give some explanation of this insha'Allaah. Jazakum Allaah khayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sanaa'
04-09-2006, 02:52 PM
salam..
I have no idea. Someone please answer this brother!lol

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM
:sl:
Sorry for the delayed response - I don't usually check this section.

The hadith is narrated in Sahih Bukhari, in the book concerning the merits of the Ansar.

There are two possible responses to give to this issue, one of which I provided in a previous thread when this exact same question was raised and it relates to the actual meaning of the phrase in the hadith itself. The translation of the phrase can be constructed as
As for the child, if the man/male/masculine fluid/water/substance precedes the woman/female/femine fluid/water/substance, the child inclines/bears/attracts [resemblance] to it. [and vice versa].
Within the generality of such a statement, there are a number of possible interpretations and ideas one can draw from it including that relating to X and Y chromosomes.

The second possible response is provided here and operates on the common translation of the narration:
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...main_cat_id=31
Essentially, the point is that the relationship between genotype and phenotype is quite complex and not yet fully understood. Very few traits can be reduced to simple Mendelian cases. The reason as to why some genes appear to prevail over others relates to not only the interaction between two allelesm but between different genes as well as genes and the environment. It is entirely plausible that many of the environmental conditons surrounding and preceding the fertilization of the egg have an impact on the dominance of some phenotypes over others. Thus, there is nothing in modern science which can negate the above hadith. Consider also that the Prophet Muhammad pbuh was being asked a question by 7th century desert arabs which would entail an in-depth and drawn-out exposition from the basics of cellular biology to the details of advanced genetic architecure - a simple and very general response would be far more appropriate while still maintaining the required degree of accuracy necessary.

I hope this helps.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.