View Full Version : any medics?

broth3r Ali
04-05-2006, 01:33 PM
asalamalaikum

any medic students about? :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mohsin
04-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Salam i'm a first year medical student in Cardiff Uni, whats up?

broth3r Ali
04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
kOOOOL!

i told you there were medics out there!
im in my second year! hows it going m8?

Mohsin
04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Lol alhumdulillah not so good man!

I'm in cardiff, we have anatomy exam first day back. Its sooo hard man. so much stuff to revise, i got those dvds, but they're so boring. Wa uni do you go

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
broth3r Ali
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
im in d best uni in the inhabited world man! (DOWN SOUTH)

but im up north at the moment! I love anatomy!!

I must dedicate five years of my life to immense stress, pressure and hard work for the pure fact that I will dedicate the rest of my life working to save the lives of people in this country inshaAllah!!! (works for me!!) <haha!

I need a vacation!!!

Mohsin
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by broth3r Ali

I must dedicate five years of my life to immense stress, pressure and hard work for the pure fact that I will dedicate the rest of my life working to save the lives of people in this country inshaAllah!!! (works for me!!) <haha!

I need a vacation!!!

bro wa were ur revision techniques for anatomy

Kittygyal
04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
woow bro nice to hear your doing medics :)
and how are you finding it?

take care

Mohsin
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
and how are you finding it?
lol >>>>>:hiding:

na its ok just a lot of stuff to cover

Kittygyal
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
yea bro but it is handy in the future bro :)

take care

broth3r Ali
04-06-2006, 01:06 PM
salaam

The difficulty I had with anatomy is that there isn’t that much to really understand. it’s more a case of learning facts man. The big leaps come when you connect one area to another and see structures running through the length of a region. (like the ulnar nerve all the way down the arm). I tend to learn stuff better when I have a fuller understanding of them.

hence my revision stratergy for anatomy mostly involves locking myself in my room and writing revision notes out repeatedly until something finally goes in!!!! <<<hahaha!

Sometimes I emerge from my hovel for food and allow my housemates to quiz me!! and that’s about it in terms of technique.:X No ,mind mapping, no spider diagrams, no flash-cards!! Different people have different ways of working. I’ve never found any of the so-called advanced revision techniques have helped me at all. :grumbling

TIME OUT is essential!! keep in control of the stress m8, thats why i took up kung fu & kick boxing!! helps keep one focused!! <hahaha! and being regular in salaat helps me keep the mind invigorated!! :thumbs_up

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
its always nice to a see a brother striving to educate himself in islam aswell as science :)

keep it up bro :thumbs_up

:sl:

Kittygyal
04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
wow very nice bro and kung fu woow very intresting a scientist person LOL :p

take care

The Ruler
04-06-2006, 08:53 PM
woww!!! cooooll!! *awed*....i aint yet....but hope to be soon in da near future insha'allah :happy: :happy:

make dua's :) :thumbs_up

:w:

Ghazi
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Mashallah brothers keep up the work us muslims need medics, I guess you can heal my wounds in jihad ;D

Sis786
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Mashallah brothers keep up the work us muslims need medics, I guess you can heal my wounds in jihad ;D
Lol

Yeah we need more Bros and Sis in this field i mean you can do science yet respect the rules of God too. Some Scientist totall loonies!

extinction
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
ok theres people in medics anyone doing pharmacy undergrad or grad in america???

broth3r Ali
04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

haha! yeh man! inshAllah i will be with you in jihad and we wont be the ones that get wounded! ;D

“To go forth in the morning or evening to fight in the path of Allah is better than the whole world and everything in it.” - hadith report by Muslim

Those of the believers who are unhurt but sit behind are not equal to those who fight in Allah’s path with their property and lives. Allah has preferred those who fight with their property and lives a whole degree above those who sit behind. And to each Allah has promised great good.” 4:95

ALLAHUAKBAR! :thumbs_up

Shadow
04-07-2006, 07:08 PM
im not a medic but i am glad that there are people who enjoy the medical field

I would chose a religious doctor over a cultural one any day

broth3r Ali
04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shadow
im not a medic but i am glad that there are people who enjoy the medical field

I would chose a religious doctor over a cultural one any day
subhanAllah! Im doing it strictly for my mum. :) If i had it my way i'd be out there with my backpack travelling the world! ;D it's alll good, it's all good so i keep telling myself!! :grumbling <<haha!

broth3r Ali
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
excuse me! i am not a wanabe after reading the previous posts i know you do kung fu thats why i wrote it down Duh :p

i am a ''teacher'' :X

take care
ahan! what exactly do you teach? :rollseyes

Kittygyal
04-07-2006, 07:20 PM
ahan! what exactly do you teach? :rollseyes

i work with 6th forum ok anyway back on topic :p

take care

Sister_6038
04-07-2006, 08:19 PM
when the question of the thread is any medics? does that mean all who work or study within the medical field?

Mohsin
04-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I think he meant people who study medicine, ie going to become doctors

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
^^^ yeah thats right.^^^ come on where are you all?? :rollseyes

Mohsin
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
To be honest not many bros and sis come on education issues. I only saw this thread cos i saw it on the home screen page at new posts

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
To be honest not many bros and sis come on education issues. I only saw this thread cos i saw it on the home screen page at new posts

nonono! bro i do :rollseyes :happy:

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
ahan! oh come on bro, that cant be true :? such a shame!!

islamgyal that cat in your avi is freaking me out man!

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
islamgyal that cat in your avi is freaking me out man!

why bro:?

i love them to bits so don't say that bro :'(

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
why bro:?

i love them to bits so don't say that bro :'(

take care
i dont know, just take a close look at it yourself.:? looks like the photo has been taken at gun point!!:X

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
i dont know, just take a close look at it yourself.:? looks like the photo has been taken at gun point!!:X

no don't say that bro it looks well cute and i love cats i do i do! :)

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
no don't say that bro it looks well cute and i love cats i do i do! :)

take care
yeah cats are cats! I had a kitten a while back! but that pic is freaky! :heated:

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:26 PM
yeah cats are cats! I had a kitten a while back! but that pic is freaky! :heated:

well bro if you think about it fighters are freaky and not cats i love them alot :happy:

:offended: :offended: :offended: :offended:

anyway back on topic please

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
well bro if you think about it fighters are freaky and not cats i love them alot :happy:

:offended: :offended: :offended: :offended:

anyway back on topic please

take care
lol! that makes me a freaky fighter! thanks!!!! :offended: <<<haha!
sorry if i offended you! :uhwhat

tc

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:33 PM
lol! that makes me a freaky fighter! thanks!!!! :offended: <<<haha!
sorry if i offended you! :uhwhat

tc

o. sorry if i offended you and no worries bro it's all good :happy:

all that we can do is ''fear our lord''

take care

Arch_warrior
04-08-2006, 04:11 PM

LoooooL ha ha ha i get what you mean!!! im not a cat hater but i cant stand them when they are fighting outside my window!;D

Arch_warrior
04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Nice to see medic students on here by the way!!

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arch_warrior
LoooooL ha ha ha i get what you mean!!! im not a cat hater but i cant stand them when they are fighting outside my window!;D
yeah see he agrees with me!! or at least sees what i see innit!! :rollseyes nah man, i like cats but the cat in the avi, either someone was going to shoot it if it didn't have the pic taken or its suffering from severe constipation! ;D
next time the cats are fighting outside your house, open your window and start barking!! works for me everytiime!!! <<<haha!

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 07:44 PM
yeah see he agrees with me!! or at least sees what i see innit!! :rollseyes nah man, i like cats but the cat in the avi, either someone was going to shoot it if it didn't have the pic taken or its suffering from severe constipation! ;D

no bro and btw can we get back on topic please :)

take care

extinction
04-08-2006, 07:47 PM
no bro and btw can we get back on topic please :)

take care
In my 2 days here I already noticed anyone around you seems to have tendency to go off topic lol...........but luckily you try and put them back on it

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
In my 2 days here I already noticed anyone around you seems to have tendency to go off topic lol...........but luckily you try and put them back on it

yea well that's it then init bro!

back to topic please

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
chill chill! i bought up the cat topic :hiding: :hiding:
islamgyal the cat is gorgeous i was just messing! :)

anymore medical students in the forum? :?

extinction
04-08-2006, 07:55 PM

I'm a undergrad in pharmacy do I count?

extinction
04-08-2006, 07:56 PM
yea well that's it then init bro!

back to topic please

take care
what are you studying?

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 07:56 PM

ok thanks bro :)

take care

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm a undergrad in pharmacy do I count?
yeah man! hows it going?

extinction
04-08-2006, 07:59 PM
its ok......pretty easy so far...i need to get some more college credits but im in no rush so its all good.......

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
its ok......pretty easy so far...i need to get some more college credits but im in no rush so its all good.......
you currently doing your a levels?

extinction
04-08-2006, 08:07 PM
no here in america our system is different ........we dont have the whole a-levels like you guys stuff its called college crdits each class is worth a certain number of credits with a certain gpa(grade point average) the best being an A equal to 4.0 exam wise we have sat's act's and for pharmacy the Pcat then the state exams and so on for med students like doctors they do the usmle and another major exam......

extinction
04-08-2006, 08:09 PM
and uni is referred to grad school while you can still be in uni but really be doing undergrad work which really is college

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 08:13 PM
no here in america our system is different ........we dont have the whole a-levels like you guys stuff its called college crdits each class is worth a certain number of credits with a certain gpa(grade point average) the best being an A equal to 4.0 exam wise we have sat's act's and for pharmacy the Pcat then the state exams and so on for med students like doctors they do the usmle and another major exam......
seen seen! wish you all the best bro! how many credits do you need to get into pharmacy and over how many years? have you sat your exams?

extinction
04-08-2006, 08:18 PM
well basically its a 2 years undergrad like 63 creds or something some unis require more im doing a 3 yr undergrad though then you have to sit your pcat's I havent done them yet affter that you get into grad school and finish your four years finishing with the pharmD

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 08:34 PM
kool! one of the brothers i used to share a flat with was training to become a pharmacist Alhamdulillah. haha! he brings back some funny memories! ;D Your in the final year then yeah, when do sit your pcat's? :?

extinction
04-08-2006, 08:35 PM
oh Im not in my final year yet pcats in 08 inshallah

broth3r Ali
04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
oh Im not in my final year yet pcats in 08 inshallah
you got a few years yet then bro! inshAllah all will go well!! :thumbs_up

Malaikah
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM

im studying optometry.... does that count as a 'medic'? i dont think it does

broth3r Ali
04-13-2006, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

im studying optometry.... does that count as a 'medic'? i dont think it does
salaam

mashallah you going to be an optometrist or should i say an eye dactar!! >>spoken in strong desi aunt lingo<<
so hows it going, how far in training are you? etc etc....:?

Malaikah
04-14-2006, 03:30 AM
so hows it going, how far in training are you? etc etc....:?

training?:uuh: lol im only in first yr, just finished term 1 yesterday. um first yr optometry at my uni (the university of melbourne) is the pre-optom year.... which means its designed to get you ready for the later yrs (5 yrs in total) meaning that basically all we do it basic science subjects: chemistry physics biology and a vision subject... so yeh nothing spectacular yet lol ive still got a long way to go inshaallah but im loving it

Malaikah
04-14-2006, 05:13 AM

you guys might like to check out this forum: http://www.muslimmedic.com/

its a forum for muslims medics.. seems pretty cool except that its pretty uk based.

broth3r Ali
04-14-2006, 12:27 PM

training?:uuh: lol im only in first yr, just finished term 1 yesterday. um first yr optometry at my uni (the university of melbourne) is the pre-optom year.... which means its designed to get you ready for the later yrs (5 yrs in total) meaning that basically all we do it basic science subjects: chemistry physics biology and a vision subject... so yeh nothing spectacular yet lol ive still got a long way to go inshaallah but im loving it

seen seen! masAllah! :)
good to hear you are enjoying what you studying!!! :thumbs_up inshAllah you will do just fine! ah i just love physical anatomy!!! :skeleton:

muzna
04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
i just started my second year of med school..anatomy is hell..but i loved neuro anatomy..its too cool..physio and biochem are just plain boring..anatomy would be my favourite subject if it werent so hard..i played throughout first year and ended up having to read the whole first year anatomy syllabus in a week for my first year exams..:(..was not cool at all..

muzna
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM

I need a vacation!!!
assalam brother..
please tell me how you manage to love anatomy..i just cant remember all those courses and branches and innervations and anastomoses:hiding:

muzna
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
ya Allah..make me brainy..ameen

sabreen
04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
can i ask you medics wyhy u wanted to study medicine and wat grades did u get to get into uni and whcih uni's u applied 2? i don't want to do medicine, more keen on dentistry?

broth3r Ali
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
assalam brother..
please tell me how you manage to love anatomy..i just cant remember all those courses and branches and innervations and anastomoses:hiding:
hahaha! i figured that hating anatomy was not going to make my years ahead any easier, and the thought of graduating with virtually no knowledge of anatomy made me cringe man!!! :heated: i had no choice but to force myself to love anatomy!!! :X >>HOW??<< read read read and read!! Ask ask ask and ask more questions!! :okay: give me anatomy any time of the day!!! ;D

broth3r Ali
04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabreen
can i ask you medics wyhy u wanted to study medicine and wat grades did u get to get into uni and whcih uni's u applied 2? i don't want to do medicine, more keen on dentistry?
Salaam

why am i studying medicine??:? lol! :uhwhat i got forced into it man!! im doing it purely for my ammee (mum) :) i did not want to become a dactarrrr!! no no no, i did not! :offended: <hahaha nah, it aint all that bad! :hiding: i can cope with the intense pressure and stress? whats that?:? <<<haha! i am a fighter afterall!! :-\ I applied to 3 uni's down south, alhamdulillah i got my first choice! i got alevels; chemistry-A, biology-A, Mathematics-B, Psychology(AS)-A. i found that doing relevant a-levels (biology) made life easier in the first year of medical school as a lot of what was coverered was the same material!! :thumbs_up

so why dentistry and not a medicine sabreen? have you applied yet? :?

Halima
04-19-2006, 04:14 AM

How many years does it take to finish med school?

Safa
04-19-2006, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima

How many years does it take to finish med school?

in the u.s.?

Halima
04-19-2006, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa

in the u.s.?
yeah

Safa
04-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Four years, after u finish college, then you need 2+ yrs of residency at a hospital.

If you get into the 7yr program in college you can finish earlier.

Halima
04-19-2006, 04:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa
Four years, after u finish college, then you need 2+ yrs of residency at a hospital.

If you get into the 7yr program in college you can finish earlier.

It's kind of funny b/c I've heard all sorts of people get discouraged from being a medical doctor just b/c they have to sacrifice 10 more years of their education. To me, it depends on how much one loves it. If they love being a doctor unconditionally then I guess the 'quantity' of years doesn't really matter that much.

Safa
04-19-2006, 04:34 AM
No it doesn't, but some people are not aware of what it takes to be a doctor. You'll see many kids who before wanted to be a doctor but when they get to college they change their minds. And the accelerated programs have their advantages in preparing the students for whats to come ahead in med school.

muzna
04-19-2006, 04:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabreen
Assalam sister
i've always wanted to be a doctor..helping people is a gratifying occupation...i became more determined after reading Dr Ben Carson's Gifted Hands...
well..requirement grades differ according to colleges..most colleges ask for B or above in 3 science subjects and for some colleges Chemistry is compulsory...i think the requirements are almost the same for dentistry..
its better to work hard at AL and get straight As...i had a hard time getting into a medical college in Pakistan...although i had all As in Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths..
another key to getting accepted is being early in applying..
may Allah guide you along the path He chooses for you

Duhaa
04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
My brother's studying medicine at Liverpool.
He's in his 4th year now.
.....and yeah I hear him mention 'anatomy' a fair bit. :)

Mohsin
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Medicine takes 5 years at Cardiff

I think at other years it takes 6 though because they have to do interclated degree so they take year out in between

Sister_6038
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duhaa
My brother's studying medicine at Liverpool.
He's in his 4th year now.
.....and yeah I hear him mention 'anatomy' a fair bit. :)
ooh liverpool...thats where im heading...im not doing medicine....im leaving that for my little sister....my big sis is finishing her MSc in pharmacy this year...im going to liverpool for radiotherapy and my little sis wants to do medicine inshaAllah next year...gosh my mum should be glad..she wont need to go to the hospital the hospital will be there already.....

muzna
04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Medicine takes 5 years at Cardiff

I think at other years it takes 6 though because they have to do interclated degree so they take year out in between
assalam..
the 5-year medicine course across the world is the bachelors degree..or the MBBS..some universities offer a 4 1/2 year or 6 year MBBS..
the medicine degree is US is the MD..or doctor's degree..sah?

muzna
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
in US...i mean..

Duhaa
04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
ooh liverpool...thats where im heading...im not doing medicine....im leaving that for my little sister....my big sis is finishing her MSc in pharmacy this year...im going to liverpool for radiotherapy and my little sis wants to do medicine inshaAllah next year...gosh my mum should be glad..she wont need to go to the hospital the hospital will be there already.....

LOL ;D

extinction
04-19-2006, 08:18 PM

you guys might like to check out this forum: http://www.muslimmedic.com/

its a forum for muslims medics.. seems pretty cool except that its pretty uk based.

wow thanks for the link!!

extinction
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
It's kind of funny b/c I've heard all sorts of people get discouraged from being a medical doctor just b/c they have to sacrifice 10 more years of their education. To me, it depends on how much one loves it. If they love being a doctor unconditionally then I guess the 'quantity' of years doesn't really matter that much.
I can speak on this a little b/c I very much wanted to be a doctor pretty much all my life but then I got deterred by alot of ...*wait for it* doctors yes doctors ....kind of like the concept of how some smokers will tell you not to smoke yet they do it themselves....they said its wayy too much stress before and after its not like ok you finished now you can start reaping your rewards from your 7-10 year efforts its an on-going process....so I got totally freaked then went for pharmacy which was approved by people who have been down the road.....my outcome and conclusion came to...hard work requires time a brain and patience..very slack job..good pay..less risks contrary to docs...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.