/* */

PDA

View Full Version : prayers

renak
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I've read about the five prayers in Islam. I was wondering if muslims pray in any other manner? Do you pray whenever you feel the urge to talk to God? Are the prayers always formal? Do you always recite verses?

Protestant Christians don't recite scripture during prayer, or have a mandated method of praying. I was just curious. Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
F.Y.
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, we pray 5 times and also whenever we have the need or feel the urge to talk to God. You can pray to God whenever you want. You dont have to recite scripture in these other prayers either - you can simply use your own language and praise God, thank Him, ask Him for things you need/want, pray for other people - its your own words, basically.

There are optional prayers which are highly regarded in Islam too, such as a prayer called Tahajjud - which is usually prayed in the last third portion of the night, when most people are asleep.

Mohsin
04-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah we have to pray 5 times a day, anything above that is allowed, and the more you pray the more beneficial it is.
We believe all Prophets PBUT payed like we do, from the text in the Bible it is implied Jesus PBUH prayed like us aswell

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi renak,
From one of my previous posts:
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
t should also be noted that when I speak about "prayer" I speak about the Islamic concept of Salat, which is the formal prayers offered at least five times during the day, consisting of recitiation of the Qur'an, as well as prostration, bowing and kneeling in a specified order.

There is also the other types of prayer, Dhikr and Dua. Dhikr refers to remembering God, and contemplating on His Love, Mercy, Wisdom, Power, and tahnking for all the blessings He has bestowed upon us, and praising and glorifying Him.

Dua refers to personal supplication made to God. It can be done whenever one wishes, and one can pray to God for anything, and some form of Dhikr is often included in the Dua.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.