/* */

PDA

View Full Version : why keep the eyes open during salah?

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:11 PM
dear :brother: & :sister: ,
:sl:
i was just wondering, when people meditate, they usually do it with their eyes closed...becoz it helps to concentrate...
so when we try to explain to non-muslims dat salah is similar to meditation, what do we say when they ask, "why do you keep your eyes open? doesnt it interfere with ur concentration?"
:?
my dear learned :brother: s & :sister: s plz try to give me an answer dat can convince...

wassalam,

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
gr8man
04-08-2006, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ridaa_islam
i was just wondering, when people meditate, they usually do it with their eyes closed...becoz it helps to concentrate...
so when we try to explain to non-muslims dat salah is similar to meditation, what do we say when they ask, "why do you keep your eyes open? doesnt it interfere with ur concentration?"
my dear learned :brother: s & :sister: s plz try to give me an answer dat can convince...

wassalam,
You can consider this thing as order of our Lord & Holy Prophet (SAW)

------
04-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Cant we close our eyes while praying...:?

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
well sis i have converted and when that question came to me and someone asked me all i said back was ''when i close me eyes i feel like more secure and also i want to have the right intention cause if me eyes are open then i will be looking around and god knows what i may think about, also i feel like i am close to god and i want to have peace and so i can concentrate much better when me eyes are closed''

take care

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Cant we close our eyes while praying...:?
well sis if you close your eyes then when you do the ''actions'' you might fall :rollseyes

take care

------
04-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Nah nt relli... I close my eyes .... :rollseyes

Ghazi
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Salaam

I keep mine open

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Nah nt relli... I close my eyes .... :rollseyes

so don't you fall :rollseyes :?

take care

------
04-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Nope :). Am used 2 it since i was 9/10 innit.

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Nope :). Am used 2 it since i was 9/10 innit.

ok sis no worries you know once people get the hang of it then am sure they will never stop, so don't worry sis it's all good :)

take care

Ghazi
04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Salaam

I was told to stare at the point of sujood

Muslim Soldier
04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
one
is
allowed
to
keep
eyes
open

keyboard
problem
space
not
working

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

I was told to stare at the point of sujood

what is sujood:?

take care

------
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Where u prostate on the ground sis :)

------
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
one
is
allowed
to
keep
eyes
open

keyboard
problem
space
not
working
LOLLLLL hahahaha :giggling:

ridaa_islam
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
one
is
allowed
to
keep
eyes
open

keyboard
problem
space
not
working
thanx for d reply bro wid such effort

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Where u prostate on the ground sis :)

ok thanks ever so much sis

and bro islamtruth when you do sujood what do you stare at tho :rollseyes

take care

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
wat i mean is, u ARE sposd to keep ur eyes open...look at different locations at diff tyms of the prayer...innit? but im askin y?

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:37 PM
stop jokin guys tell me

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
stop jokin guys tell me

sis please don't get angry we are not joking:heated:

sis we are helping you in every way we can :happy:

take care

------
04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Hld up sis brb gna go search :thumbs_up

Ghazi
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
ok thanks ever so much sis

and bro islamtruth when you do sujood what do you stare at tho :rollseyes

take care
Salaam

Nothing cause at that point my face is on the ground.

------
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
got it.

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
jazakallah sis :) im not angry tho
how cud i be?
;)

Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Nothing cause at that point my face is on the ground.

erm... don't you sit that time:? *confused*

take care

Little Muslimah
04-08-2006, 02:41 PM
i think that u r supposed 2 keep your eyes open and just look at the point were u are gonna put your forehead down (sujood)... u r not supposed 2 look aound... salam

------
04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
You should stand upright and your eyes should be focused on the spot where you make your Sajdah (Prostration).

Source

Stand upright. Keep your eyes open and look at the place of your prostration or sujud while your are standing. In bowing or ruku` look at your feet, in sujud towards the floor and in the sitting position at your lap or your hands.

Source

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:43 PM
excellent link sis
jazakallahu kaseeran kaseera :)
but som1 answer my original q :(

------
04-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Some MAKROOH ACTS in NAMAAZ are :

CLOSING the EYES, but if it is done to CONCENTRATE in Namaaz, it is ALLOWED.

Source

------
04-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh By the way for new converts or even Muslims, This Site has some excellent information about namaz

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 02:48 PM
u r marvellous sis kuri :)
exactly wat i m talkin abt

if its makrooh, there shud be som logic behind it...becoz evrything in islam has logic...
i dont deny it is an order from Allah,n i wud be d first to obey, but how to explain?

Umu 'Isa
04-08-2006, 02:53 PM
heres another one
The fiqh of closing ones eyes in prayer

------
04-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Question: I have heard that it is makrooh to close eyes in salat. I can concentrate only with closed eyes. What should I do?

Answer: There is no certain hadith that decides if you should open your eyes in salat. It is possible that you do what is convenient for concentration in salat.

Source

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 03:00 PM
jazakallah sis maryam,
dis is d kind of explanation i was talkin abt:

"Imam Buhuti also mentioned in his Kashshaf al-Qina` that a reason for its being disliked is that it can be a means for one becoming drowsy. [F: Such as when praying at night.]

Imam Kasani explained in his Bada’i` that the reason for looking at one’s place of prostration is that each limb of the body has a share in the prayer’s worship.

Imam Ibn Nujaym mentioned that one does not close one’s eyes in prostration, either, and mentioned that, “A number of Sufis (may Allah benefit us through them) said that one keeps one’s eyes open because the eyes too prostrate.”

ridaa_islam
04-08-2006, 03:03 PM
jazakallahu khairan kaseera, u are all marvellous, thanx ever so much
now i really hav something to state in defence, as the probable logic behind dis hukm

:)

Maimunah
04-08-2006, 03:41 PM
salaam
Closing one's eyes:
Some say that this act is disliked while others hold that it is allowed, though disliked. Those hadith which state it is disliked are not authentic.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: "The correct position is: if keeping one's eyes open does not affect one's attention, then it is preferred to keep them open; however, if there is something in front of the person, such as some ornament or decoration, which could affect his attention, then it is, in no way, disliked to close his eyes. In fact, under such circumstances, to say it is preferred to close one's eyes is more consistent with the principles and goals of the shar'iah than to say that it is disliked."

------
04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Now dats what i call....Wiked info.. but no source :(

Maimunah
04-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Now dats what i call....Wiked info.. but no source :(
lolz sorry
http://www.islamiska.org/e/p8.htm
hope its beneficial

------
04-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Yh mannnnnnnnnn das all gud Jazakallah! :p

hissa
04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Salamalikum everyone!

I'm just wondering... is it ok for one to close their eyes while performing salah?? I remember reading somewhere a while back that it wasn't allowed whilst one is praying. Personally I find it easier to concentrate in my salah when my eyes are closed, but I don't for fear that it's not allowed.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Salams :)

------
04-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Already a thread on this sumwhere sis :p

------
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Here we go sis

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...highlight=eyes

hissa
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Kuri
Already a thread on this sumwhere sis :p
Whoopsie.. I guess I should have searched a little more. :rollseyes

MusLiM 4 LiFe
04-23-2006, 06:45 PM
i always close ma eyes while prayn.. helps me focus..

Khaldun
04-23-2006, 09:50 PM

Threads Merged.

Please search before posting any posts/threads

Abdullah4ever
04-23-2006, 10:08 PM

wassalam,

In salah because when u are in ur qiyam position you have to be looking at the place were u are going to make sajdah and when u are making Rokoo' for ladies you have to look at ur feet and for men u have to look between ur feet were the space is.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: "The correct position is: if keeping one's eyes open does not affect one's attention, then it is preferred to keep them open; however, if there is something in front of the person, such as some ornament or decoration, which could affect his attention, then it is, in no way, disliked to close his eyes. In fact, under such circumstances, to say it is preferred to close one's eyes is more consistent with the principles and goals of the shar'iah than to say that it is disliked."

Maryam22
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mashaallah
salaam
Closing one's eyes:
Some say that this act is disliked while others hold that it is allowed, though disliked. Those hadith which state it is disliked are not authentic.

the reference to that is: Fiqh as-Sunnah, supererogatory prayers. by As-Sayyid Sabi,q p92, if anyones interested.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.