/* */

PDA

View Full Version : are we brothers and sisters?

Malaikah
04-09-2006, 05:07 AM
:sl:

i notices that it is common practise among muslims to call each other brothers and sisters, but i wanted to know, was this the practise of the prophet sws? does any one have an reference to the prophet sws actually calling his companions brothers? for example, a hadith. its not a big deal but im just curious as to whether he actually did this.

id really appreciate any help. :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
khurm
04-09-2006, 05:13 AM
yes we all are brothers and sisters in islam

Khaldun
04-09-2006, 05:43 AM

MashAllah thats a good question. :brother:

Allah says;

The believers are but brethren, therefore make peace between your brethren and be careful of (your duty to) Allah that mercy may be had on you. [Surah Hujurat Ayah 10]

Allah’s Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim, so he should not oppress him, forsake him, or despise him."

Malaikah
04-09-2006, 07:03 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies, but i think i should have been more specific in my question. I know that the prophet said we are a brotherhood etc...

but did he actually go around saying 'assalamalikum brother how are you today' etc... or, 'my sister could you please..'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
04-30-2006, 12:43 AM
yes there's many sentences in many hadiths that use that pharase 'bro' or 'sis'. But it's a term used normally when you don't know the name of a person, for xample you have a hadith where the prophet called someone "Ya Akhal '3arab" (Oh Arab Brother), infact, more commonly the prophet would call someone who he didnt nkow their name "Ya '3abdallah" (Oh servant of Allah), and he would call to a female 'Ya Amatallah' (O servant of Allah - amah is arabic word for servant).

And the companions use to call themselves by their nicknames (like Abu Hurayrah "Father of the kitten", Zayd-Ul-Khayr "the Zayd of good") or their full names (like Ali, Hamza, Umar), and the prophet use to adress people by their names. In fact i remember reading in hathal-habeeb ("This is the beloved" - very neat book) when Ali was describing the behaviour of the prophet to people who havnt met him, he mentioned how he use to face people when he spoke to them, and he use to call people by their nicknames. All this makes the person who is being adressed feel that htey are being valued by the prophet.

Infact, you are right we use the word bro/sis more than we do label people by their names or nicknames as was teh Sunnah of the prophet. But we definately are brothers and sisters and there's no problem in labelling each others so, its better than saying 'hey fella come here'.

Eric H
04-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Greetings and peace cheese; and thank you for starting this thread.

I believe in one God the creator of all that is seen and unseen, and when I walk through town I see a part of God’s creation. I see people who could be atheist, Christian, Muslim, Sikh and people with the freedom to have any type of belief all created by the same God.

In essence we are all brothers and sisters under one God, for peace on Earth to happen we need to look on people of all faiths as our brothers and sisters.

In the spirit of building interfaith friendships between brothers and sisters of all faiths.

Eric

NahidSarvy
04-30-2006, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
infact, more commonly the prophet would call someone who he didnt nkow their name "Ya '3abdallah" (Oh servant of Allah), and he would call to a female 'Ya Amatallah' (O servant of Allah - amah is arabic word for servant).
3Abd means "male slave"; the female equivalent of 3abd is amat.

lolwatever
04-30-2006, 07:07 AM
oh yeh ur right, '3abd is slave.. sorry i was wrong.

Malaikah
04-30-2006, 12:45 PM

thanks for the replies :) jazakallah khair

------
04-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Allah’s Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim, so he should not oppress him, forsake him, or despise him."
Jazakalah bro :D

- Qatada -
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
:salamext:

Al-Muwatta 2.29

Yahya related to me from Malik from al-Ala ibn Abd ar-Rahman from his father from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, went to the burial grounds and said,

"Peace be upon you, home of a people who believe! We shall be among you, Allah willing. I wish that I had seen our brothers!" The people with him (i.e. the sahabah/companions) said, "Messenger of Allah! Are we not your brothers?" "No," he said, "You are my companions. Our brothers are those who have not yet come. And I will precede them to the Hawd. (The Hawd: the watering place of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, from which he will give to the people of his community on the day of rising./al qiyamah)" They asked him, "Messenger of Allah! How will you recognise those of your community who come after you?"

He said, "Doesn't a man who has horses with white legs and white blazes on their foreheads among totally black horses recognise which ones are his own?" They said, "Of course, Messenger of Allah." He went on, "Even so will they come on the day of rising with white marks on their foreheads, hands and feet from wudu, and I will precede them to the Hawd. Some men will be driven away from the Hawd as if they were straying camels and I shall call out to them, 'Will you not come? Will you not come? Will you not come?' and someone will say, 'They changed things after you,' so I shall say, 'Then away with them, away with them, away with them!' "

wa Allaahu ta'aala a'lam. (and Allaah Almighty knows best.)

source: Al-Muwatta Hadith Book 2: On Wudu (Ablution) in General

:wasalamex

DaSangarTalib
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Yes we are In Islam! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.