/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hijaab east and west

sheerheart1
04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
salaam aleykum wr wb,my sisters in islam:rollseyes
firts i thought i shoul not write about this topic then i thought why not because i have a efew friends and spoke to them about this subject a few who did not wear hijaab are now wearung through encouragement to wear it alhamdulilah :thankyou:

Many muslim sisters weather they are from muslim housholds or not and are reverts.
These days are finding it very hard to wear hijaab and islamic dress
(eg,loose clothing and scarf)
Sometimes through the lack of encouragement , lack of understanding and pride,and media and pop stars play a role also so friends who are not muslims(who can dress as they please)and even in some households where where islamic rules and not taught and are laspe and libreal often you find even in some religious familys don't advice thier daughters and sisters to wear hijaab and cover untill much older .
Then the girl has great difficulty in ajusting to wearing the dress code they are sometimes forced to wear and without encouragement.
Even some sisters whom are reverts or have been muslims all thier lives give excuses and answer " sister the hijaab is of the heart we don't have to wear hijaab " or we feel suffacated by it......
but then some sister will explain to them that it is a command and law of Allah .s.w..t and a requirement for us also.
We often get sway by western media and no muslim who say liberation!!!! liberation!!!
You don't have to wear it -it's old fashioned, its an old law, laws are ment to be broken.
Even you see muslim sisters these days wearing very tight clothing (to reveal thier figures)showing thier legs (this is also not allowed)but loose fitting garments.
let me ask you a question?
IF our prophet came and knocked on your door and you answered it,would you feel pride or embarrassed in front of him do you really think he would enter our households??? why we are dressed like that.
my dear sisters in islam this is the dunya its only a tempory life for us our strive insha'allah is jannah hopefully insha'allah
Do we as muslim sisters of this family of islam want to flaunt the laws of our beloved Allah s.w.t. and prophet s.w.s
we need to remind each other with love and respect and encouragement especially those sisters whom are having a hard time with this humberley explaining to them that this is a request from our beloved Allah and also a law he gave us to forfil.
And do we really want to disobey our beloved Allah.s.w.t we should forfil this small but important law with hope in doing so Allah is happy with us
I pray and hope that Allah guides all my sisters in islam to stand firm and ignore the whispers of shataain to wear thier hijaab and islamic dress with pride for Allah.s.w.t and may Allah guide us to jannah ameen
(i am happy wearing mine alhamdulilah):statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
04-09-2006, 02:45 PM
well sis i have reverted and am not going to lie but here and there i do wear it and proud of it :)

well you are sis i am finding it hard to wea loose clothing and that but then again i am learning :)

take care

sheerheart1
04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
well sis i have reverted and am not going to lie but here and there i do wear it and proud of it :)

well you are sis i am finding it hard to wea loose clothing and that but then again i am learning :)

take care
salaam sister i am also a revert:) may Allah always guide u ameen:sister:

Kittygyal
04-09-2006, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sheerheart1
salaam sister i am also a revert:) may Allah always guide u ameen:sister:
nice to hear that sis and amin :)

take care

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sanaa'
04-09-2006, 02:59 PM
salam..
I was born a Muslim, and I do wear a hijab. The only problem is though - and I know this is weird, I feel embaraased saying it - is that I wear jeans/pants all the time. I want to start wearing skirts, or a jilbaab, but my mom doesn't want to go out and spend that money.. it's really annoying. If she does, she'll get me like one skirt, but I mean, I can't wear that every day you know.

Anyways, I don't think that when sisters are contemplating converting to Islam the hijaab should be enforced on them. I mean, yeah, a hijaab is an impoortnat part of a Muslim sisters identity, but it's not the most important part. I know some sisters who were seriously thinking about converting, but then the Hijaab was forced on them that they changed their minds. A sister should be totally comfortable with the other, more important aspects of Islam, before the Hijab is imposed on her - atleast that's my opinion.
salam

Kittygyal
04-09-2006, 03:03 PM
well sis wearing Jeans and tops and stuff doesn't look nice with a scarf on well anyway that's my opinion tho :)

take care

IbnAbdulHakim
04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
salaam aleykum wr wb,my sisters in islam:rollseyes
whats the rolling eyes about? lol??

sumay28
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sanaa'
salam..
I was born a Muslim, and I do wear a hijab. The only problem is though - and I know this is weird, I feel embaraased saying it - is that I wear jeans/pants all the time. I want to start wearing skirts, or a jilbaab, but my mom doesn't want to go out and spend that money.. it's really annoying. If she does, she'll get me like one skirt, but I mean, I can't wear that every day you know.

Anyways, I don't think that when sisters are contemplating converting to Islam the hijaab should be enforced on them. I mean, yeah, a hijaab is an impoortnat part of a Muslim sisters identity, but it's not the most important part. I know some sisters who were seriously thinking about converting, but then the Hijaab was forced on them that they changed their minds. A sister should be totally comfortable with the other, more important aspects of Islam, before the Hijab is imposed on her - atleast that's my opinion.
salam
I agree to a certain extent. But if the hijab is a problem for the sister, then her iman is not strong enough to revert. Her love for the deen is not there yet. When it's there, she'll want to wear hijab. Also, not wearing a hijab for a woman makes it hard to practice islam. Modesty is extremely important for a muslim woman.

Umm Yoosuf
04-09-2006, 10:21 PM
:sl:

Originally Posted by Sanaa'
salam..

Praise be to Allah and masha Allah! Honestly it doesn't cost much. You can get it made. Just buy the material and ask some to make it for you. I get my Jilbaabs and 'abaay's made. It only cost about £10.00. Also some sister's order it from aboard. It doesn't cost much there either.

Yes i agree with some of your points here. One has to give dawah with the best of manners, with hikmah and beautiful preaching. Some sister's the hijab and it's no problem for them and others find it hard. So one has to understand what their concerns are and help them out. Step by step is what sister's should take not rush.

:w:

sheerheart1
04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
whats the rolling eyes about? lol??
[MOUSE][S]well i did'nt know weather to post this thread or not :rollseyes [/S][/MOUSE]but i did any way :thankyou:

extinction
04-12-2006, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
I agree to a certain extent. But if the hijab is a problem for the sister, then her iman is not strong enough to revert. Her love for the deen is not there yet. When it's there, she'll want to wear hijab. Also, not wearing a hijab for a woman makes it hard to practice islam. Modesty is extremely important for a muslim woman.
completely off topic but stinky america??

sheerheart1
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
just because one finds it difficult to wear or does not wear does not mean her imaan is not there hijaab is beautiful alhamdulilah i know a few muslim sisters who only wear hijaab when praying does not mean they don't love deen can but with gentle encouragement from other sisters her imaan will get stronger insha'allah and in time she will wear hijaab especially if she is around other sisters who wear it Allah knows best in what you think and do and knows the secrets of the heart :rollseyes

The Ruler
04-12-2006, 09:05 PM
i am a muslim and do wear a hijab + jilbab....but does anyone here know how i could bring my friend to wearing a scarf, she thinks it isnt compulsory in the UK because we could suffer for it :-\

sheerheart1
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
i am a muslim and do wear a hijab + jilbab....but does anyone here know how i could bring my friend to wearing a scarf, she thinks it isnt compulsory in the UK because we could suffer for it :-\

gental encouragement ask her what our nabi would think and hijaab is farz upon us to wear it may take sometimes try to spend time with other sisters with her who wear hijaab and just because ur in england the laws and rules in islam dont change at all ................:) i am english myself from birmimgham i am also a revert and iwear both hjaab and abeyyah alhamdulilah may ALLAH ALWAYS KEEP ME IN MY DRESS AMEEN:)

Maimunah
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
salaam

An Islamic Duty

Ever since the appearance of Hijab in the west, there has been a constant crusade against this noble act. The hypocrisy[1] of the Western media has been evident for many years now, through its constant attacks on Islam and Hijab. Despite these attempts, women in Hijab are still on the increase. Thus, a new crusade had to be launched by the advocates of "liberation" and "freedom". For a while now, many Western critics have insisted that the Hijab has nothing to do with Islam. They claim that it is a cultural practice and not a religious one. This has been broadcast in the Western media with the aid of its puppets, the modernist Muslims. People such as Dr Zaki Badawi[2], have pushed this erroneous view for a number of years now. This has led to much confusion amongst ignorant Muslims, and many Muslim women are being led into depriving themselves of this great benefit. So what is the reality behind this issue? Is the Hijab obligatory?

Hijab is an Arabic word which literally means a cover, a screen or a partition. Islamically it refers to the dress code of the Muslim woman. In answering the above question, as Muslims we unashamedly say, Yes!, the Hijab IS OBLIGATORY!! The proofs for this obligation are many, but due to lack of space we will only quote two here. In the Qur’an Allaah says:
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their modesty, and not to display their adornment except that which appears ordinarily thereof, and to draw their veils over their necks and bosoms.."
(Sura An-Noor 24:31)
About the words "..except that which appears ordinarily thereof..", then the scholars of Islam have explained that these words refer to the hands and face of a woman. This is supported by the hadith of the Prophet (saws) : "Aisha reported that Asmaa, the daughter of Abu Bakr, entered into the presence of the Messenger of Allaah wearing thin transparent clothing, So the Messenger of Allaah turned away from her saying : ‘O’ Asmaa, when a women reaches the age of menstruation, it is not allowed that any of her should be seen except this’ – and he pointed to his face and two hands."[3] The Hijab is therefore something which MUST cover the entire body of a woman, except her face and hands.[4] It is NOT a simple headscarf which many women wear, because a piece of cloth on the head does not conceal the parts of a woman’s body, which when exposed, are the result of much strife. Besides covering the entire body, the Hijab also has other conditions, such as not being tight, transparent, too colourful or resembling the clothes of a man. These conditions are also proven from Islam.[5]

The Benefits of Hijab

-Obedience- Whilst other women are subjected to the pressures and slavery of modern society, the Muslim woman is truly free from this. In the west, women are expected to conform to the liberal fashions which appear daily. These fashions and expectations are often shaped by men. In this way, women become the slaves of society and man. Hijab is the liberator of this slavery. It takes women away from the obedience of man, to the obedience of the Most Perfect, Allaah. This obedience will only bring about good, because we believe that Allaah is the Most Kind and the Most Just. Slavery to the one with such characteristics, is a slavery of reward and contentment. It is not a slavery from which your fellow human (the woman) is exploited and oppressed, just because your desires and lusts run wild.

As a command of Allaah, the Hijab has united the hearts of so many. Hijab knows no colour, nationality, race, height or weight. Through obedience to Allaah, it truly unites the women of the world. Thus, this unification has surpassed the ranks and shallowness of all female liberation movements. Christian nuns, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, feminists, lesbians, women boxers and even female gang members, are all known to have become united under Islam and its Hijab. It is truly a force to be reckoned with. It must be remembered that this obedience to Allaah is a voluntary act from most Muslim women. Many assume that those brought up as Muslims, have always been wearing Hijab. However, this is not so. Many Muslim women (especially in the UK), who are Muslim by name, often know very little of Islam. When they discover its true meaning, most of them willingly adopt the Hijab simply to obey their Creator, and not because of any external pressures.

Wearing the Hijab is no futile action. A woman may go through much trial and tribulation[6] because she has obeyed Allaah. But the fulfilment of this action will never go unnoticed, as Allaah say :
"Never will I allow to be lost the actions of any of you; whether male or female"
(Surah Al-Imran 3:195).
The result of these obedient actions will be an everlasting reward. A reward which all Muslim women aspire for. A reward called paradise :
"And whosoever does righteous actions- whether male or female, and is a believer, will enter paradise"
(Sura An-Nisa 4:124).

-A Shield- Allaah says :
"O’ Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their veils over their bodies. That is most convenient that they should be recognised and not be molested"
(Sura Al-Ahzab 33:59)
One of the greatest benefits of Hijab, is the natural protection it gives to a woman. By wearing Hijab, a woman shields herself from the rampant desires of man. By his very nature, man is a creature of intense desire. The Hijab controls this desire and thus not only protects the woman, but also the man. Sexually motivated crimes in the west are on the increase. Rape, molestation and harassment are reaching epidemic levels. Undoubtedly the clothing of a woman has something to do with this. When women walk around with literally nothing on, some men see it as a signal to do as they please. This results in the honour of a woman being scarred for life. The Muslim woman does not have this problem. She knows that when she walks on the streets, the men will not look at her. Why? Because there is nothing for them to look at!! She feels like a princess who is shielded from the savages of her domain. Peace and security is felt beneath the veil. The woman of Hijab does not have to reveal her body in order to gain respect. She does not have to have her ‘bits’ hanging out so that men can drool over her. If a man desires her, then it has to be for her religion and intellect. The Hijab gives him no other choice. She is a woman who is truly shielded from the nature of man.[7]

-Nature- The nature of a woman is fundamentally different from man. Women are more timid, gentle and caring then men. This is the reason why they have been chosen (by Allaah) to be the perfect rearers of children. The Hijab reinforces this nature of the woman. We praise Allaah that he has ordered this Hijab, for the world that we live in seeks to change our very nature as human beings. Men try to be women and women try to be men. People are being led into confusion by the political correctness which is so popular in our societies. Many women have jumped onto the bandwagon of feminism and lesbianism, shouting how evil and oppressive men are. But when one looks at these sad creatures, their delusion is clear. While claiming to hate men, their attire suggests otherwise. Short hair, bomber jackets and steel toecapped boots, are the vogue for these women. Their hatred for men is so much, that their very appearance resembles the enemy!! Some of these women have even gone to the extreme of growing masses of facial hair. The hideous site of these bearded ladies, is enough to put anyone off their dinner!!! Such depravity is far from natural. The Hijab on the other hand, enables the woman to stay as a woman. Rather then being a monstrosity, a woman in Hijab is like an oyster with a beautiful pearl inside it. Her femininity has stayed feminine, without being altered into masculinity. There is no doubt about it, this is a TRUE WOMAN.

-Honour- Contrary to the tales of the media, the Hijab provides an honour for the woman like no other garment does. For many women, a dress designed by Versace[8] or Armani is all the honour they need. But the Hijab carries far more honour then these worthless clothes. Whilst the dresses of the catwalks are designed by mere mortals, the Hijab comes from the one who is immortal, Allaah. Through it a woman is held with the utmost respect. True Muslim men are obliged to keep their Muslim sisters away from the corruption of this world. Thus a Muslim will not allow for someone to ogle his wife, chat her up or harass her. The honour of a Muslim woman demands that this does not happen. How contrary this is to life in the west. Men in the west feel no obligation to protect women from the harms of society. This is why a man will allow his wife to be a stripper, call-girl and even a prostitute. Honour knows no place in the west. This honour will only be achieved from Islam and its Hijab.

The honour of a Muslim woman is so high, that we believe that the state of a society is dependent upon its women. If the women are corrupt and immoral, then the society will be corrupt and immoral. If the women are righteous and god-fearing, then the society will be righteous and god-fearing. Women are the educators of the nation. But if they have no honour and have been corrupted, then society will be void of education and steeped in ignorance. This is the predicament of a society which rejects Hijab. This is the predicament of all Western societies, which stubbornly cling onto their depressing ways of life.

Those who seek to reject Hijab after reading this, then their loss will eventually become apparent. But those who seek to please Allaah through this action, can be sure that this good can only bring more good:
"Is there any reward for good – other then goodness?"
(Sura Ar-Rahman 55:60)
from al-sunnah.com
wasalaam

zed
04-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I was born into a muslim family, but only started wearing the hijaab about 2 years age. All for the right reasons I must admit. I was also seriously looking a wearing the nikaab, I relocated last summer from living in an area with a high ethnic minority populaltion, to a place where seeing black face is not comman. I feel strongly about wear the hijaab and value the sense of protection it gives me. Any way to cut along story short, I found that when i began to go attend interviews with my hijaab on i wasn't getting the jobs, i was being unsuccessful with the jobs i was over qulified for too. I couldnt understand what the reason was! apparently I had a wealth of knowladge and vast experince 'but no thankyou'
For interview number 15 i took my hijaab off. My friends from where i had moved from were not impressed with me. my interview was a sucesses and I was offered the position. I now work in an area with the biggest council estate in the country with the smallest ethnic minority population. In retrospect taking the hijaab off was not the answer I should have kept faith and tried over and over again until I was accepted for me.

sheerheart1
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
masha'allah sis glad u got the job u did what u thought was right but its a shame we have to take off our hijaab to get a job aint it u dont see christians taking off thier crosses do i hope u wear ur hijaab to work now insha'allah :) u do

Umu 'Isa
04-13-2006, 03:40 AM
i started wearing hijab before i converted. And when i actually said my shahada i was wearing full niqab. I found it so easy to do, and I felt so proud wearing it. Alhamdulillah.
Obviously my parents are not accepting of this so at home I just wear jeans and a long top and wear the cap thing to cover my hair... to thm it just looks like a bandana thingy.
I have never been ashamed of my hijab, the only thing i am ashamed of is the people who can't and won't accept me and my hijab.

Sanobar
04-13-2006, 09:05 AM
well i am proud of ma hijab..... i have been wearing hijab since 2 yrs now.... * got to my senses then* :okay:

I have never been ashamed of my hijab, the only thing i am ashamed of is the people who can't and won't accept me and my hijab.

cihad
04-13-2006, 01:35 PM
you know..i'm not really the girly type of girl ifyounowatimean
i try and wear skirty stuff most of the time but do you think its okay to wear like a skirt to your knee and jeans under that-coz like if i see a tree i'll climb it(jokes thats a little far fetched) but i don't like sitting down with the aunties and listen to them exchange recipies ...i don't no i just cant seem to sit still!

Sister_6038
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
you know..i'm not really the girly type of girl ifyounowatimean
i try and wear skirty stuff most of the time but do you think its okay to wear like a skirt to your knee and jeans under that-coz like if i see a tree i'll climb it(jokes thats a little far fetched) but i don't like sitting down with the aunties and listen to them exchange recipies ...i don't no i just cant seem to sit still!
my friend wear skirts which are knee length over her trousers...

julie sarri
04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
:sl: i am a english revert who wears hijab i only had the encouragement of my husband to wear hijab as when i frist reverted i dident know eney muslim sisters but alhamdulillallah i do now and enjoy the forum encouragement is the way to help others pushing sisters in to things that they are not ready for is not the way to help the deen was not made hard for us allah (swt) made it easy becouse as human beings we some times find it hard to stick to thing my husband always told me dont rush in to things go slowly becouse allah (swt) wants muslims to stay muslims not rush in to things then afther a week say this is to hard then give up which does happen gental encouragement is best show sisters who do not wear hijab books about hijabs revert stories hadeeth tell her how you started wearing yours :w:

sheerheart1
04-13-2006, 02:17 PM
[MOUSE]i am revert i started to wear before i took shadaah also gosh seems along time ago opps it is along time ago gosh i am getting old[/MOUSE]

sheerheart1
04-13-2006, 03:45 PM
[[S]QUOTE=sanobar;255965]:sl:
well i am proud of ma hijab..... i have been wearing hijab since 2 yrs now.... * got to my senses then* :okay:[/S]

:happy: :happy: i agree with u sis maryam! :)
:w:[/QUOTE]:sl:
MASHA'ALLAH SISTER MAY ALLAH BE PLEASED AND HAPPY WITH U AMEEN:)

sheerheart1
04-13-2006, 03:46 PM
[MOUSE]OPPS MY NAMES maryam as well[/MOUSE]

shas
04-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Well, most people here, in Brunei wear jeans and hijab...

It was okay about 5 years back...But now, it looks horrible. I mean the jeans have become tight and the hijab has become shorter, some even reveals the neck!

Their idea is to cover the hair...a really big misconception!!!

But if your jeans are not tight, your top isnt against the chriteria of Hijab for Muslimah than i think its ok to wear jeans...better than wearing 3/4, which i saw teenagers in Malaysia wearing...I just wanted to get out of there!!

ASTAGHFIRULLAH!

Sunflower
04-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Even some sisters whom are reverts or have been muslims all thier lives give excuses and answer " sister the hijaab is of the heart we don't have to wear hijaab " or we feel suffacated by it......
but then some sister will explain to them that it is a command and law of Allah .s.w..t and a requirement for us also.

one of my friends used those excuses but due to da jilbaa. she wears a scarf but is not too keen on stopping wearing trousers and jeans and instead wearing a jilbaab saying that she is ''not ready''.

i.a allah will guide her on the right path

sheerheart1
04-16-2006, 02:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva

one of my friends used those excuses but due to da jilbaa. she wears a scarf but is not too keen on stopping wearing trousers and jeans and instead wearing a jilbaab saying that she is ''not ready''.
i.a allah will guide her on the right path
u mean she does not wear jilbab well my sister u are allowed to wear jeans but not tight ones and trousers but if they are tight and revealing this is no good because it reveals the contours of the body which is not a mode of dress in sialm for ladies :sister: but loose fitting garments and long ( i dont mean to the floor) but as long as it covers your back:rollseyes and not transparant either ask her a simple question would she answer almighty Allah that she was not ready to wear jilbab:sister: :okay: because if we were to die without forfilling the commands of our beloved Allah won't we be sorry :uhwhat :X :? speacially if we don't recieve the shade of Allah on the day of kiyamaat:rollseyes but my sweet sister talk nicely to her and pass ur small piece of dawah to her from time to time saying u would look so beautiful and you would please Allah because as we remind others we also remind ourselves because every time we remind something good to do insha'allah it goes in our good dees and when we tell someone thats bad and remind ourselves also that it is bad we are removing insha'allah shataain :sister: cause we don't want him around us but with ur love and encouragement to her i am sure she will wear it :sister:
m/salaam for now:w: :sister: :thankyou:

Sunflower
04-16-2006, 02:50 PM
u mean she does not wear jilbab well my sister u are allowed to wear jeans but not tight ones and trousers but if they are tight and revealing this is no good because it reveals the contours of the body which is not a mode of dress in sialm for ladies :sister: but loose fitting garments and long ( i dont mean to the floor) but as long as it covers your back:rollseyes and not transparant either ask her a simple question would she answer almighty Allah that she was not ready to wear jilbab:sister: :okay: because if we were to die without forfilling the commands of our beloved Allah won't we be sorry :uhwhat :X :? speacially if we don't recieve the shade of Allah on the day of kiyamaat:rollseyes but my sweet sister talk nicely to her and pass ur small piece of dawah to her from time to time saying u would look so beautiful and you would please Allah because as we remind others we also remind ourselves because every time we remind something good to do insha'allah it goes in our good dees and when we tell someone thats bad and remind ourselves also that it is bad we are removing insha'allah shataain :sister: cause we don't want him around us but with ur love and encouragement to her i am sure she will wear it :sister:
m/salaam for now:w: :sister: :thankyou:
j.a for that but mayb i didnt mke my self clear. sometimes her jeans are very tight and i heard soemwhere that it is obligatory upon muslims to wear a jilbab..wheteher in a muslim or non-muslim country.aint this true?

AhlaamBella
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Without my hijab my identity will disintegrate.

NahidSarvy
04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Baby_Pearl
Without my hijab my identity will disintegrate.
Your faith depends entirely on a swath of fabric? You'll just dissolve into the sea of humanity as a disbeliever?

I have to admit I'm confused. Or concerned. Or both.

S_87
04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
Your faith depends entirely on a swath of fabric? You'll just dissolve into the sea of humanity as a disbeliever?

I have to admit I'm confused. Or concerned. Or both.
she didnt say faith. she said identity

Laiool
04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
As-salamu aleikum! I dress hijab, indeed this fard. And I be proud of the fact that I dress it! Without hijab it would feel itself naked. In my country not all muslim woman can dress it, someone because of the parents (if they are not Muslims), someone because of the work.

AhlaamBella
04-20-2006, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
she didnt say faith. she said identity
jazakallah sis. Yes I did say Identity.
If you saw a woman without hijab would you say to yourself: 'that is a muslim woman who just doesn't wear hijab'?:?

Laiool
04-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm- Muslim woman, who, as millions of other muslim women of the terrestial globe, selected for herself the carrying of hijab. In the essence, our matter - to cover entire body, except face and hands. But if you from those, who look popular films, you, possibly, thought about us as about the girls in the harem, about the women, whom they hold in the imprisonment, letting out only for the intimate pleasures of their owner- man, and they recalled the dance of stomach. However, in the Islamic dogma there is place for anything, besides truth. And the concept of hijab, in spite of the conventional opinion, this, in the essence, one of the fundamental moments of the self-determination of woman. When I cover itself, people cannot judge about me by how I appear. i'm no longer I can be classified according to my attractiveness or on the absence of the afore-mentioned. You will compare this with the life of today's society. We constantly compare each other, being based on our clothing, adornments, to hair-do and to make up. What depth must be in this peace? Yes, i have a body - physical manifestation of my terrestrial origin. But it is the vessel of rationality and hardness of spirit. It not for the spectator, who looks with the longing, and not for the advertisement to sale in all, from the beer to the machines. The superficiality of the peace, in which we live, leads to the fact that the extrinsic ethos so strongly extols that the value of personality barely is taken into the calculation. This is myth, that the woman in today's society has a freedom. What freedom can be, if woman cannot pass along the street without each part of her body not would be being studied? When i'm burden of hijab, I can secure itself from entire this. I can rest, confident, that no one looks at me, studying my nature, being based on the length of my skirt. I place the barrier between my exploiters and by me. One of the bitter realias of our time - myth about the beauty and the female means. Reading popular youth periodicals, you can immediately find, what type of figure in the mode, but which is not. But if you have the incorrect type of figure, then indeed you you do be going it to correct, not then whether? In any case, you never will be able, having excess weight, to be confident, that they are beautiful. You will look to any advertisement. Perhaps is not used woman for sale of the different kind of products? It is how much by her years? How it is attractive? In that it is dressed? Most frequently, this there will be woman of approximately twenty or only more, high, ordered, only more attractive than the established average level of the standard of beauty - it is dressed in the covering clothing. The ninetieth years of the twentieth century drove on woman under the desired template, she wanted that or not. It they force to be sold, to reject itself. And we have cases, when 13- summer girls press by fingers inside the throat in order not to get well, or when complete girl- adolescents end life with suicide. My body - this is my matter. No one can tell me, as I must appear, it is beautiful or not. I know that to me it is not necessarily more than this. I also can say "no", when they ask me, I do feel itself sexually oppressed. I found control over its sexuality. Glory to god, for me now already never it is necessary to experience fate, trying to "lost or got" weight or to select that shadow itself under its color of the skin. I made a selection in favor of the fact that is more important, and already there is no place for bylomu. I'm not in the imprisonment and not in the captivity in the "barbarians of Arab deserts". I'm - freed by Islam.

P.S.You will excuse for my English!

NahidSarvy
04-21-2006, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Baby_Pearl
jazakallah sis. Yes I did say Identity.
If you saw a woman without hijab would you say to yourself: 'that is a muslim woman who just doesn't wear hijab'?:?
My identity is not based on the opinions of other people. If they know I am a Muslima, it will be because of my excellent behaviour.

If I feel the need to announce to the world I am a Muslima, I can wear a shirt that says it.

But my identity isn't based on my outward appearance.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
:sl: Sister Nahid Sarvy,

Why shouldn't one's personal character be manifest in their outward conduct? The modesty of an individual should be reflected in the way they conduct themselves and their external appearance. For example, someone who does not keep themselves clean is not reflecting the Islamic teachings of purity and cleanliness, even though this is only their outward appearance. People who say things like, "But faith (imaan) is in the heart!" display a misunderstanding of the Qur'anic and Prophetic teachings because we know that in Islam, imaan has three components - imaan of the heart, imaan of the tongue (speech) and imaan of our actions.

The Qur'an itself tells us, in Surat Al-Ahzâb that the modest clothing worn by Muslim women is so that she be known (thâlika adnâ ay-yu'rafna) and recognized by the society for who she is; for her chastity, modesty and devotion to God. So this is part of her identity as a Muslim woman.

Likewise, the same thing is true when we come to the issue of the beard. The Prophet Muhammad pbuh specifically instructed Muslim men to maintain the beard to distinguish themselves, so it is again part of the Muslim identity. The simple fact is, yes, Islam has provided guidance on our external appearance, which is reflective of our identity.
My identity is not based on the opinions of other people.
Of course your identity is not based on the opinions of other people, it is based upon your obedience to your Creator. But how you are identified in society is inherently connected to the opinions of the people, which may or may not be correct.
If they know I am a Muslima, it will be because of my excellent behaviour.
And somehow you feel that the manner in which a person displays themselves in society is not part of their behaviour? What is it, then?
If I feel the need to announce to the world I am a Muslima, I can wear a shirt that says it.
As opposed to following the Qur'anic directive to veil yourself?
The point your missing is that the way one maintains their outward appearance is part of their behaviour. A filthy appearance is reflective of one's identity, especially with regard to the importance they place on cleanliness.

------
04-21-2006, 04:05 PM

If I had to take a bullet in my heart I would but I would not take off my Hijab :)

------
04-21-2006, 04:06 PM
As-salamu aleikum! I dress hijab, indeed this fard. And I be proud of the fact that I dress it! Without hijab it would feel itself naked.
Yup. Same Here.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM

my mum used the same excuse on ma beard.

NO DONT GROW IT, THEY'LL DEPORT YOU. lol but im like.... well all the better the reward ;D.

PS: Its more fard in a kuffar country coz more digusting people. Man they will stare at just your face if thats all thats showing, SIKNESS!!!!

NahidSarvy
04-21-2006, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
The modesty of an individual should be reflected in the way they conduct themselves and their external appearance. For example, someone who does not keep themselves clean is not reflecting the Islamic teachings of purity and cleanliness, even though this is only their outward appearance. People who say things like, "But faith (imaan) is in the heart!" display a misunderstanding of the Qur'anic and Prophetic teachings because we know that in Islam, imaan has three components - imaan of the heart, imaan of the tongue (speech) and imaan of our actions.
I didn't say I wasn't modest; in past discussion to which you have been party, I have explicitly laid out my understanding, which includes covering the jayb and the saw'ât, which is what the Qur'ân tells us to do.
As opposed to following the Qur'anic directive to veil yourself?
Every time I opine on this verse, the thread is mysteriously closed.

Still, I will repeat myself again: I disagree with your interpretation of the words. What is actually said in Sûratu n-Nûr, 30-31:? A translation comparatively close to the Arabic says the following:
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and protect their private parts. That will make for greater purity for them. Verily, Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

And tell the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not to display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof and to draw their khimars over their bosoms (juyûb and not display their beauty except to their husbands.
So it says:
  • men and women should both cover their private parts
  • women should cover their jayb (pl. juyûb), or cleavage, with their khimar.
In the modern world, it is understood that this verse orders believing women to wear a head-veil, which is what a khimar was in ancient times.

But the khimar was worn by both women and by men in the time of the Prophet; it was an outer garment worn to protect the head from the hot sun. It was a practical and daily piece of clothing.

This verse does not order the Believers to wear khimar; it orders us to cover our jayb with the commonly-worn piece of clothing of the day, a large piece of cloth to protect the head from the sun.

This means that if we don't wear khimar, women can cover our jayb with something else.

The issue here, for men and women alike, is modesty, and the words of the Qur'ân indicate that for women, the breasts are also to be covered in public, just like the genitals are.
The point your missing is that the way one maintains their outward appearance is part of their behaviour. A filthy appearance is reflective of one's identity, especially with regard to the importance they place on cleanliness.
I'm not missing this point, I'm criticising her making equivalent wearing the veil with being Muslima. That's not what the verse says and I and other non-veiling women am not defined by our headgear or lack thereof.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
:sl: NahidSarvy,
I didn't say I wasn't modest
Nor did I ever attribute such a statement to you. But here you are agreeing that one's dress does have importance and should be reflective of their moral character.
in past discussion to which you have been party, I have explicitly laid out my understanding, which includes covering the jayb and the saw'ât, which is what the Qur'ân tells us to do.Every time I opine on this verse, the thread is mysteriously closed.
I don't recall which discussion you're referring to or which threads you think were closed solely for your post. If you would like to make a comment or seek clarification on the moderation of a thread, please post in the comments and suggestiosn section of this forum.

Still, let us examine your interpretation and see what the evidence is from the Qur'an and Sunnah for the scarf.

Still, I will repeat myself again: I disagree with your interpretation of the words. What is actually said in Sûratu n-Nûr, 30-31:? A translation comparatively close to the Arabic says the following:
So it says:
  • men and women should both cover their private parts
  • women should cover their jayb (pl. juyûb), or cleavage, with their khimar.

In the modern world, it is understood that this verse orders believing women to wear a head-veil, which is what a khimar was in ancient times.

But the khimar was worn by both women and by men in the time of the Prophet; it was an outer garment worn to protect the head from the hot sun. It was a practical and daily piece of clothing.

This verse does not order the Believers to wear khimar; it orders us to cover our jayb with the commonly-worn piece of clothing of the day, a large piece of cloth to protect the head from the sun.

This means that if we don't wear khimar, women can cover our jayb with something else.
Is the hijab obligatory in Islam? Let us see.

First, let me quote Keller who specifically refutes the view of those who claim that the structure of the verse does not mandate the Khimar:
The Qur’anic verse, “Say to believing women, that they cast down their eyes and guard their private parts, and reveal not their adornment save such as is outward; and let them drape their headcoverings over their bosoms, and not reveal their adornment . . .” (Qur’an 24:31) is a specific requirement for Muslim women to cover their hair.

The word “headcoverings” (Ar. singular khimar, plural khumur), more familiar in our times as the hijab, is a word of well-known signification among scholars of Arabic, at their forefront the authors of the classical lexical reference dictionaries like Zabidi’s encyclopedic Taj al-‘arus or Mutarrizi’s al-Mughrib, both of which define khimar as “a woman’s headcovering”; or Fayumi’s al-Misbah or Fayruzabadi’s al-Qamus, which both define it as “a cloth with which a woman covers her head.” The Taj al-‘arus also notes that a man's turban is sometimes referred to as a khimar “because a man covers his head with it in like manner as a woman covers her head with her khimar when he disposes it in the Arab manner, turning part of it under the jaws nearly in the same manner in which a woman disposes her khimar.” These authorities are cited in the eight-volume Arabic-English Lexicon of Edward William Lane, who describes the khimar as “a woman’s muffler or veil with which she covers her head and the lower part of her face.”

There is no other lexical sense in which the word khimar may be construed. The wording of the command, however, “and let them drape their headcoverings over their bosoms,” sometimes confuses nonspecialists in the sciences of the Qur’an, and in truth, interpreting the Qur’an does sometimes require in-depth knowledge of the historical circumstances in which the various verses were revealed. In this instance, the elliptical form of the divine command is because women at the time of the revelation wore their headcovers tied back behind their necks, as some village women still do in Muslim countries, leaving the front of the neck bare, as well as the opening (Ar. singular jayb, plural juyub, translated as “bosoms” in the above verse) at the top of the dress. The Islamic revelation confirmed the practice of covering the head, understood from the use of the word khimar in the verse, but also explained that the custom of the time was not sufficient and that women were henceforth to tie the headcover in front and let it drape down to conceal the throat and the dress’s opening at the top.

This is why Muslim women cover their heads: because the Qur’an unambiguously orders them to, and there is no qualifying text or hadith or even other lexical possibility to show that the Qur’anic order might mean anything besides obligation. Rather, the hadiths all bear this meaning out, Muslim scholars are in unanimous agreement about it and have been from the time of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) down to our own day, and it is even known by all non-Muslim peoples about them.

There was thus nothing new or surprising in the Islamic legal opinion promulgated in December 2003 by the Grand Mufti of Egypt, Sheikh ‘Ali Jumu‘a of the Egyptian Fatwa Authority (Dar al-Ifta’ al-Misriyya) that “the hijab is an obligation on all Muslim female adults, as firmly established in the Holy Qur’an and the Prophet Muhammad’s hadiths, as well as unanimously agreed upon by Muslim scholars.” He pointed out that unlike the cross sometimes worn by Christians, or the skullcap worn by Jews, the hijab is not a “symbol” of Islam but rather that “Islam orders female adults to wear hijab as obligatory religious clothing.” It is part of every Muslim woman’s religious practice.

Some ink and words have been spent by some contemporary ethnic Muslim women writers (and an occasional convert) trying to do away with the covering of hair mandated by the Qur’an and the unanimous consensus of Muslims. They say—accurately enough, for a Muslim does not leave Islam merely by committing a sin—that one can take off the hijab and still remain a Muslim. But such a person remains a bad Muslim, who deems aping non-Muslims better than practicing Islam. For what? The Supreme Being knows our benefit better than we do; and if one believes in Allah, Master of every atom in the universe, it is only plain sense to follow Him. When all else fails, read the directions. Those who refuse to wear the hijab are acting out of ignorance or bad faith, and when one meets them, one seldom finds they manage to practice the other aspects of their religion. In the end, it is a matter of hearts. The heart that is alive has a sense of eternity, and knows that the infinite is greater than the finite. The heart that is dead follows the trends of the trend makers because it has turned its back on the Divine and forgotten endless time. (SunniPath Q4813)
Your claim the khimar is not mandatory does not make sense in light of the verse. The verse says draw the khimar of the jayb, which, as explained above, forms the proper headcovering. If you don't have a khimar or headcovering, then you are not fulfilling the verse. The verse does not say to simply cover the bosom, it says to draw the khimar over the juyub.

Your claim is that the verse does not mandate the head-covering. In order to find out the true meaning of the verse we need to see how it was implemented by the Prophet Muhammad pbuh and how it was understood by his companions, the original recipients of the message. Their understanding of the message was the correct understanding.

First we have the explicit directive from the Prophet Muhammad pbuh, narrated in Sunan Abi Dawûd, where he said O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.. If the Prophet Muhammad pbuh stated this, should I not accept the Prophet's ruling? The Qur'an says:

4:65 But no, by your Lord (O Muhammad), they have no Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction.

Moreover, we find explicit statements from the companions which confirm their understanding of the verse. Abdullah ibn Abbas, Anas ibn Malik, Abdullah ibn Umar, Miswar ibn Makhrama, all explained the meaning of the verse as mandating the covering of the entire body, 'except that which is apparent', meaning the face and the hands. In fact, Aisha ibn Abi Bakr, the wife of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh said that when the Muslim women recieved this verse they covered themselves, appearing like crows were perched on their heads because of the head covering. Aisha also explained that the covering women were mandated was "nothing short of what covers both the hair and skin."

And the truth of this matter is that not a single Muslim scholar, since the time of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh, has differed from the view that covering the hair is mandatory for women. How can one suggest that the unanimous consensus of all Muslim scholars for over a millenia is wrong, and the personal opinion of a few modern secularists (who have no formal education in Islamic sciences) is correct?

The issue here, for men and women alike, is modesty
No disagreement there,
I'm not missing this point, I'm criticising her making equivalent wearing the veil with being Muslima.
The veil is an integral part of being a Muslima.

Tasneem
04-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes!Al-Hamdudillah im happy wearing Hijab

i feel very Happy MashAllah

I walk down the street and people look at me,rolleyes,etc

but i dont care!i look sooo different!

Im me!Im unique!Theres no one quite like me...

I used to hate Hijab i used to hate it with ALL my heart
(but back then i was having problems)i woke up one day,grabbed that niqaab looked in the mirror and said,''Allah wants you to do this!do it for Allah!''
so i said,''mmmkay!LOL and then i embraced Burka 2 months after loving Niqaab my mom inspired me to do it!

AhlaamBella
04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
wow subhanallah sis thats quite a story! Alhamdulilah and well done!

Starseeker
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't get no hassle for wearing my hijab. Many of my friends are non Muslim and their not particulary bothered either.
Apart form this onr time when i was walking down the street and a lady told me to "go back to your country you ******* ****" That wasn't too polite of her!

Umu 'Isa
04-22-2006, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarah999
I don't get no hassle for wearing my hijab. Many of my friends are non Muslim and their not particulary bothered either.
Apart form this onr time when i was walking down the street and a lady told me to "go back to your country you ******* ****" That wasn't too polite of her!
awww subhan Allah! unfortunately, that isnt uncommon..

NahidSarvy
04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Nor did I ever attribute such a statement to you. But here you are agreeing that one's dress does have importance and should be reflective of their moral character.
It can. I think that the Qur'ânic verse recommends that it is best for us to cover our sexual organs. And it also tells women to cover their breasts - though I also think that, for example, Western obsessions with criminalising women breastfeeding in public would not be covered because a breast must be seen.
And the truth of this matter is that not a single Muslim scholar, since the time of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh, has differed from the view that covering the hair is mandatory for women. How can one suggest that the unanimous consensus of all Muslim scholars for over a millenia is wrong, and the personal opinion of a few modern secularists (who have no formal education in Islamic sciences) is correct?
Aren't you generalising here? Just because I cited El Guindi, an Egyptian woman, doesn't mean that this is the "personal opinion of a few modern secularists". I could argue that your reliance on modern conservatives is no different. Every age has variance in opinion.

Just because something was accepted doesn't mean it is right. Numbers do not equal veracity. So much of what is written about Islam in the past defines women as chattel - owned, circumscribed in activity and potential, and assumed to be in the home.

Just because a lot of women support veiling doesn't mean it is the definition of being a female Muslim. I don't buy the Islamiyyin arguments of what it means to be a Muslima.
I am a Muslima and I simply don't agree.

NJUSA
04-22-2006, 02:22 PM

This is why Muslim women cover their heads: because the Qur’an unambiguously orders them to, and there is no qualifying text or hadith or even other lexical possibility to show that the Qur’anic order might mean anything besides obligation. Rather, the hadiths all bear this meaning out, Muslim scholars are in unanimous agreement about it and have been from the time of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) down to our own day, and it is even known by all non-Muslim peoples about them.

Actually, some notable early Muslim women did appear in public without covering their hair, and the interpretation of modesty varied according to whether one was slave or free, and whether one lived in the city or the country. The 'ijma that you speak of is rather limited to a specific time and place, and when you consider a complete 'ijma, that is, all scholars in all times and places, the supposed 'ijma falls apart. Scholars did not agree that covering all but the hands and face was needed for women, although all the scholars I know of agreed that covering from the chest to the knees was the minimum requirement of modesty. I am a Muslim woman, and I consider it rather demeaning to have a piece of cloth be considered an integral part of my relationship with Allah. Yes, I wear it, every day, upon leaving the house. But the most important parts of my faith include things such as the way I treat others, especially my parents. I consider it integral to my faith to give as much of myself to the world. Concerns over hair and cloth are concerns about things that are in fact dead, and my faith is a living thing.

Pk_#2
04-22-2006, 03:25 PM
:sister:

Happy Hijabi...

Aint dat difficult :) Just put one on init!! wah ya waitin 4?

Mohsin
04-22-2006, 04:02 PM
As far as i know Jamal Badawi believes hijab is not qapplicable to this time, controversial opinion

"..MariAm.."
04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
ASALAMOALAIKUM :sister:
[BANANA]i luv to wear jilbaab!!i m proud to wear jilbaab[/BANANA]
yeah ......i disagree at ur point sheerheart1
[PIE]just because one finds it difficult to wear or does not wear does not mean her imaan is not there hijaab is beautiful alhamdulilah i know a few muslim sisters who only wear hijaab when praying does not mean they don't love deen can but with gentle encouragement from other sisters her imaan will get stronger insha'allah and in time she will wear hijaab especially if she is around other sisters who wear it Allah knows best in what you think and do and knows the secrets of the heart
[/PIE]
um no sumay28 iz rite! a woman who doesnt like to wear or assumes it to be difficult to wear ...yes her imaan is not strong ... a momin woman is the one who abide by every law prescribed by ALLAH (SAW) .....
i also like to say ...... that it is compulsory for every women to wear hijab+jilbab !! NOW sum people have a view that hijab is obligatory and jilbab is not obligatory .... now wats that? i mean how can it makes sense thay covering ur body is obligatory and it will be rele gud if u cover ur face .... ..... in quran :
O’ Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their veils over their bodies. That is most convenient that they should be recognised and not be molested"
(Sura Al-Ahzab 33:59)
now face is also a part of ur body ......and women are obligated to hide their faces from strangers means every muslim woman is obligated to cover herself from strangers and every other person except her blood relatives...which r: ur father, brother, husband,grandfather, maternal grandfather, mother's brotherz, father's brotherz..........only these ppl are ur blood relatives .....
so u see that hijab+jilbab is obligatory for every muslim women.
and i m proud to say that started wearing hijab+jilbab from the age of 14
wasalam
Jazakumullah khairun

NJUSA
04-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Personally, I don't like to assess other people's levels of faith, because doing so properly would require information that I don't have access to. If I were to presume someone else's level of faith, I'd do so on more reliable indicators of character, such as patience, kindness, generosity, etc.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2006, 07:46 PM
It can.
Good. So you agree that sometimes what you belittle as a 'piece of cloth' can be an integral part of one's identity. After all, someone arrested for public nudity could have prevented that with just a 'piece of cloth'.

I think that the Qur'ânic verse recommends that it is best for us to cover our sexual organs.
I've already answered this and I have shown you how the Prophet Muhammad pbuh himself explained the verse and how the companions understood it. If you want to think the Prophet misinterpreted the Qur'an and you interpreted it correctly, that's your choice, but there are serious consequences.
Aren't you generalising here? Just because I cited El Guindi, an Egyptian woman, doesn't mean that this is the "personal opinion of a few modern secularists"
I didn't notice any names in your post actually, but if you can show me how this isn't the opinion of a few modern secularists, I'm all ears.
I could argue that your reliance on modern conservatives is no different.
Never did I construct my position on the views of 'modern conservatives'. We are to follow Islam not according to this secularist or that conservative but according to how it was revealed in the Qur'an, explained and implemented by the Prophet and how it was understood by the early Muslims, the direct recipients of the message. The conclusion that the headcover is obligatory is not the view of some 'modern conservatives' but the unanimous consensus of the Muslim scholars for over a millenia, since the time of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh himself.

Just because something was accepted doesn't mean it is right. Numbers do not equal veracity.
In this case, one can only be skeptical if someone claims that the unanimous consensus of all Muslim scholars since the time of the Prophet was misguided, whereas some secularists 1400 years later who have no formal education in Islamic sciences suddenly have been inspired with the 'correct' meaning of the verse. What you're telling me is that the Prophet failed to convey the message properly since everyone who came after him for the next 13 centuries misunderstood it.

So much of what is written about Islam in the past defines women as chattel - owned, circumscribed in activity and potential, and assumed to be in the home.
This is a myth propagated amongst laymen in the west who have not studied Islamic sciences. I have refuted many such claims in the following thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ith-women.html

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NJUSA
Actually, some notable early Muslim women did appear in public without covering their hair
Feel free to provide evidence.
The 'ijma that you speak of is rather limited to a specific time and place
The 'ijma I am speaking of is absolute; it is what Muslim scholars have agreed upon for centuries.
Scholars did not agree that covering all but the hands and face was needed for women
Who are these 'scholars'?
I am a Muslim woman, and I consider it rather demeaning to have a piece of cloth be considered an integral part of my relationship with Allah.
It is God who decides what constitutes part of your relationship and what doesn't. For a human being to dictate otherwise is sheer arrogance. You seem to conveniently forget that it is only 'pieces of cloth' which distinguish the nude from those dressed appropriately; it is only 'pieces of cloth' which archaeologists and evolutionists consider evidence of civilization and intellectual advancement amongst ancient populations. Our outward behaviour is reflective of our moral character.

Yes, I wear it, every day, upon leaving the house. But the most important parts of my faith include things such as the way I treat others, especially my parents.
What if someone did the same thing but wanted to appear nude in public? Is that acceptable? Why not? It's just a piece of cloth!
I consider it integral to my faith to give as much of myself to the world. Concerns over hair and cloth are concerns about things that are in fact dead, and my faith is a living thing.
No, our body is a living trust from God to us and we are to take good care of it. Some people do not have much value for cleanliness and keep themselves filthy. Is that a good thing? Why not? It's just skin, hair and cloth!

Khayal
04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Alhamdulilah, I am very much proud of wearing my hijaab, I feel very secure, protected, and modest. , I want people to think that I am a good muslim when I walk in public, Not a hindu, or mexican, :offended: in case if don't wear hijab. I am a very proud muslimah, Alhamdulilah:sister: I am never impressed with the American immoral dresses, I am only impressed with my modest dressing.......Alhamdulilah:)

NJUSA
04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Sukayna bint Hasan, among others, were women noted among men and women for not covering their hair in public. Sukayna was known for her unusual hairstyle. Barlas provides my favorite alternate opinion on the concept of hijab, but Ali and Wadud have excellent work as well, which would break the "absolute 'ijma" that you claim. The Qur'an speaks of actions and words more often and more vigorously than it does on dress, implying a far greater importance. If hijab is so integral to faith, can Islam nullified by a strong wind, or a ride on a roller coaster? Our outward dress is affected by far more than faith, and is ultimately of low importance. If someone wished to appear nude in public, or not bathe, that would create public health concerns, but not neccessarily moral concerns. I am grateful to God for my body, and try to care well for it, but if/when the choice comes between prayer and properly applying toner, I pick prayer.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Sukayna bint Hasan, among others, were women noted among men and women for not covering their hair in public.
According to which source? From which time period? Please be specific.
but Ali and Wadud have excellent work as well
Ali - ?
Amina Wadud? No Thanks!

Feel free to post your evidence, and we'll discuss it inshaa'Allah.
The Qur'an speaks of actions and words more often and more vigorously than it does on dress, implying a far greater importance.
The way one dress is part of their behaviour and conduct.
If hijab is so integral to faith, can Islam nullified by a strong wind, or a ride on a roller coaster?
If nudity is considered offensive, can modesty be nullified by a strong wind, or a ride on a roller coaster?

Someone is not blameworthy for something over which they had no control, if that is indeed the case. And Islam is not nullified by a sin, anyway.
Our outward dress is affected by far more than faith, and is ultimately of low importance. If someone wished to appear nude in public, or not bathe, that would create public health concerns, but not neccessarily moral concerns.
Nudity in public is not a moral concern?!! Which society is this??

I am grateful to God for my body, and try to care well for it, but if/when the choice comes between prayer and properly applying toner, I pick prayer.
We don't pick and choose between God's commands, we fulfill all of them,

Muslim Knight
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
What if someone did the same thing but wanted to appear nude in public? Is that acceptable? Why not? It's just a piece of cloth!
Whenever I keep trying to tell about this to free-haired colleagues I always end up with the faith-in-the-inner side kind of thing. They think only faith matters and action don't. Very frustrating indeed!

Khayal
04-24-2006, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Whenever I keep trying to tell about this to free-haired colleagues I always end up with the faith-in-the-inner side kind of thing. They think only faith matters and action don't. Very frustrating indeed!

If she is close to ALLAH and claims that she has good faith then she should not reject hijaab. She is feeling guilty, thats why she arguing. Basically she is trying to justify her actions and trying to find somebody to agree with her.
Whether somebody agrees or not, she knows in her heart ALLAH will never agree with her argument. If she has no faith she can do anything she want to. If she has faith she should listen what ALLAH has Ordered.

S_87
04-24-2006, 03:19 PM
.I am a Muslima and I simply don't agree.

thats not your choice

It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.
33:36

NahidSarvy
04-24-2006, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
thats not your choice It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path. 33:36
Have you read my comments? I don't advocate denying God's will; I think that interpretations have been skewed and that what is claimed to be God's will does not match what is stated in the Qur'ân.

I see much gynephobia and misogyny in the Umma, which does not match the Prophet's actions and respect for women and the explicit notion that men and women are equal or that God created a human being, not a man from whence a rib was taken to make an inferior sex.

Your argument is therefore misguided, because I'm not claiming we can ignore God's commandments. I'm saying that God's commandments aren't what they are popularly understood to be.

*noor
04-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Have you read my comments? I don't advocate denying God's will; I think that interpretations have been skewed and that what is claimed to be God's will does not match what is stated in the Qur'ân.

I see much gynephobia and misogyny in the Umma, which does not match the Prophet's actions and respect for women and the explicit notion that men and women are equal or that God created a human being, not a man from whence a rib was taken to make an inferior sex.

Your argument is therefore misguided, because I'm not claiming we can ignore God's commandments. I'm saying that God's commandments aren't what they are popularly understood to be.

Islam clearly states that women cover their bodies except for the face and the hands
Islamc clearly states that men cover from their navel to their knees.
Its clear and we can't say that its not.
Id rather one of my sisters to tell me that she is not strong enough to wear hijab than to tell me its not mandatory.

NahidSarvy
04-24-2006, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
Islam clearly states that women cover their bodies except for the face and the hands
Islamc clearly states that men cover from their navel to their knees.
Its clear and we can't say that its not.
Id rather one of my sisters to tell me that she is not strong enough to wear hijab than to tell me its not mandatory.
Peace, NurOfIslam.
  • Unfortunately, your preferences are not my concern.
  • Also unfortunately, the Qur'ân does not say women cover their bodies except for one's face and hands.
  • Even more unfortunately, it's not at all clear and we can, in fact, say it is not.
You are free to believe what you like, but it doesn't change the fact that people have and do disagree with this issue, both now and in the past.

Umm Yoosuf
04-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Peace, NurOfIslam.
  • Unfortunately, your preferences are not my concern.
  • Also unfortunately, the Qur'ân does not say women cover their bodies except for one's face and hands.
  • Even more unfortunately, it's not at all clear and we can, in fact, say it is not.
You are free to believe what you like, but it doesn't change the fact that people have and do disagree with this issue, both now and in the past.
Allah in the Quran does indeed command the women to dress in a certain way. I don't think i need to quote you the Ayaah's of the Hijab. What is IMPARATIVE though, is how we should understand the Qur'an. And how is that? Well, we should understand the Qur'an according to how the Prophet (saw) and his sahaba understood.

Read the Tafsir (explanation of the Qur'an) of the Ayaah's which talk about the Hijab:

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=24&tid=35857

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=33&tid=42166

NJUSA
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I've read the Tafsir of Ibn Kathir, and when you remove the personal opinions, what you get is a Qur'anic injuction for women to cover their torsos, roughly the area from the clavicle down. It's the extraQur'anic sources, i.e. the opinions of the various scholars who have put their two cents in, that you get the opinion that women are required to cover more than that. None of us is bound to the opinion of any scholar. Keep in mind that while we may seek to follow the Divine Will by consulting scholars, their opinions are not in fact the Divine Will, and can be laid aside if their opinions are not suitable.

Sunflower
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Assalamu Alaykum

this maybe completely of the point but i was tlkin 2 a friend of mine about the scarf and she told me that because she is a ****e she believes that covering your feet is more imporatnat than ur hands... i tried to point out to her that covering ur hands is not a fardh but she wasnt listening... is this tru nwyz that covering ur feet is important and that it is a must to be covered coz i really didnt no if it was!

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-24-2006, 07:59 PM
:sl: NahidSarvy,
Could I get a response to this post:
http://www.islamicboard.com/270137-post53.html
And to the evidence I gave concerning the obligation of hijab in this post:
http://www.islamicboard.com/268610-post42.html
It doesn't make sense to ignore evidence provided by someone and then claim that there is no evidence, does it?

:sl: NJUSA,
http://www.islamicboard.com/271987-post57.html
And some of the points you left unanswered from this post:
http://www.islamicboard.com/270161-post54.html

NahidSarvy
04-24-2006, 08:50 PM
First, let me quote Keller who specifically refutes the view of those who claim that the structure of the verse does not mandate the Khimar:
You prefer Keller. I do not. I like Wadud and Barlas.

I do not agree with Keller's understanding. In fact, he says exactly what I did: that the khumur was what people wore, men and women, as a headcovering - but the conclusions are all backwards.
The Islamic revelation confirmed the practice of covering the head, understood from the use of the word khimar in the verse, but also explained that the custom of the time was not sufficient and that women were henceforth to tie the headcover in front and let it drape down to conceal the throat and the dress’s opening at the top.

This is why Muslim women cover their heads: because the Qur’an unambiguously orders them to, and there is no qualifying text or hadith or even other lexical possibility to show that the Qur’anic order might mean anything besides obligation.
Again I say, it says, "take that piece of clothing you wear every day and cover your breasts with it." Otherwise, wouldn't God have specified that men must cover their heads? There's no parity or sense to the text if we insist that the mention of the khimar means that every woman everywhere must wear a specific piece of clothing.

And Keller insists that the hak-kiffot of the Jews are a "sign" of their faith, not a requirement, but that is wrong as well. A Jewish man - and a modern Jewish women - wears hak-Kuffa because the Torah tells him or her to to respect God.
Your claim the khimar is not mandatory does not make sense in light of the verse. The verse says draw the khimar of the jayb, which, as explained above, forms the proper headcovering. If you don't have a khimar or headcovering, then you are not fulfilling the verse. The verse does not say to simply cover the bosom, it says to draw the khimar over the juyub.
We are going in circles. I sum up my position: it says juyub, I cover juyub. Khimar is just the clothing they wore at the time. It is the breasts, not the hair, that is a problem.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-24-2006, 10:00 PM
You prefer Keller. I do not. I like Wadud and Barlas.
I examine the argument itself, not who is providing it.
I do not agree with Keller's understanding. In fact, he says exactly what I did: that the khumur was what people wore, men and women, as a headcovering - but the conclusions are all backwards.Again I say, it says, "take that piece of clothing you wear every day and cover your breasts with it."
The verse commands all Muslim women to wrap a khimar in front of them, which forms the headscarf. This is how the women did it; all the narrations show that they understood this commands to include the covering of the hair as no one simply took the cloth off and wrapped it just around the body leaving the hair exposed.
Otherwise, wouldn't God have specified that men must cover their heads?
Sorry I'm not following you here.
There's no parity or sense to the text if we insist that the mention of the khimar means that every woman everywhere must wear a specific piece of clothing.
What they must do is take a headcloth and wrap it around in front of them, the end result being the hijab.
We are going in circles. I sum up my position: it says juyub, I cover juyub. Khimar is just the clothing they wore at the time. It is the breasts, not the hair, that is a problem.
from my previous post:
The verse says draw the khimar of the jayb, which, as explained above, forms the proper headcovering. If you don't have a khimar or headcovering, then you are not fulfilling the verse. The verse does not say to simply cover the bosom, it says to draw the khimar over the juyub.
If the verse simply said cover the juyub, then your view might be justified, but it doesn't; it says draw the khimar over the juyub, which forms the headcovering.

And you ignored the other evidence I posted:
First we have the explicit directive from the Prophet Muhammad pbuh, narrated in Sunan Abi Dawûd, where he said O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.. If the Prophet Muhammad pbuh stated this, should I not accept the Prophet's ruling? The Qur'an says:

4:65 But no, by your Lord (O Muhammad), they have no Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction.

Moreover, we find explicit statements from the companions which confirm their understanding of the verse. Abdullah ibn Abbas, Anas ibn Malik, Abdullah ibn Umar, Miswar ibn Makhrama, all explained the meaning of the verse as mandating the covering of the entire body, 'except that which is apparent', meaning the face and the hands. In fact, Aisha ibn Abi Bakr, the wife of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh said that when the Muslim women recieved this verse they covered themselves, appearing like crows were perched on their heads because of the head covering. Aisha also explained that the covering women were mandated was "nothing short of what covers both the hair and skin."

NJUSA
04-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Ansar, an abridged bibliography:
Barlas, Asma. Believing Women in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an. University of Texas Press, 2002.
Wadud-Muhsin, Amina. Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective. Oxford University Press,1999
Mernissi, Fatima. The Veil and the Male Elite. A Feminist Interpretation of Women's Rights in Islam. Perseus Books Group(Reprint),1992
Ahmed, Leila. Women and Gender in Islam : Historical Roots of a Modern Debate Yale University Press (Reissue) 1993
Abou el Fadl, Khaled. Speaking in God’s Name: Islamic Law, Authority, and Women. Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2001

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-07-2006, 02:28 AM
:sl: NJUSA,
http://www.islamicboard.com/271987-post57.html
And some of the points you left unanswered from this post:
http://www.islamicboard.com/270161-post54.html

Ansar, an abridged bibliography:
Barlas, Asma. Believing Women in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an. University of Texas Press, 2002.
Wadud-Muhsin, Amina. Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective. Oxford University Press,1999
Mernissi, Fatima. The Veil and the Male Elite. A Feminist Interpretation of Women's Rights in Islam. Perseus Books Group(Reprint),1992
Ahmed, Leila. Women and Gender in Islam : Historical Roots of a Modern Debate Yale University Press (Reissue) 1993
Abou el Fadl, Khaled. Speaking in God’s Name: Islamic Law, Authority, and Women. Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2001
:sl: Sister NJUSA,
Instead of providing a response to the posts containing my arguments as I requested, you've simply posted a list of secularist references. What do you feel that accomplishes? How does swapping bibliographies contribute to the discussion? Is this your only response or can I expect a response to my arguments?

Muslimaatan
05-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Alhamdulilah i wear hijab, and i got used to the jilbab cuz itz my school uniform, so Alhamdulilah
n btw..some sis said it looks weird wearin jeans n top n a hijab?? don feel like quotin that..im 2 tired..but ITZ NOT WEIRD!! u can wear jeans with a long nice shirt..but remember "long!" it will look very nice..i used 2 alwayz wear that..but by time i sticked to the jilbab..Alhamdulilah!

dishdash
05-07-2006, 04:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
my mum used the same excuse on ma beard.

NO DONT GROW IT, THEY'LL DEPORT YOU. lol but im like.... well all the better the reward ;D.

PS: Its more fard in a kuffar country coz more digusting people. Man they will stare at just your face if thats all thats showing, SIKNESS!!!!
You CLEARLY haven't spent any time in a Moslem country have you... Trust me, there are plenty of disgusting people whereever you go in the world.

ANd what does 'more fard' mean? Have you developed a new status my scholarly friend?

dishdash
05-07-2006, 04:14 AM

I examine the argument itself, not who is providing it.

The verse commands all Muslim women to wrap a khimar in front of them, which forms the headscarf. This is how the women did it; all the narrations show that they understood this commands to include the covering of the hair as no one simply took the cloth off and wrapped it just around the body leaving the hair exposed.

Sorry I'm not following you here.

What they must do is take a headcloth and wrap it around in front of them, the end result being the hijab.

from my previous post:
The verse says draw the khimar of the jayb, which, as explained above, forms the proper headcovering. If you don't have a khimar or headcovering, then you are not fulfilling the verse. The verse does not say to simply cover the bosom, it says to draw the khimar over the juyub.
If the verse simply said cover the juyub, then your view might be justified, but it doesn't; it says draw the khimar over the juyub, which forms the headcovering.

And you ignored the other evidence I posted:

JazakAllah for that bro. Nahid, this is all good and valid what the brother is telling you right here.

Quite simply, do not take those ayas in isolation, rather in conjunction with the many evidences in the sunna. They complement one another.

NahidSarvy
05-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Instead of providing a response to the posts containing my arguments as I requested, you've simply posted a list of secularist references. What do you feel that accomplishes? How does swapping bibliographies contribute to the discussion? Is this your only response or can I expect a response to my arguments?
Peace, Ansar al-'Adl

I am not NJUSA, but I have to say something: those are not "secularists". They are faithful, scholarly Muslims talking about religious issues, not about secular society or advocating leaving the faith.

Nafiisah
05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
hijaab is the best protection to conserve haaya(modesty)
Wassalaamou'alaikum

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-07-2006, 03:58 PM
:sl: Sister NahidSarvy,
I am not NJUSA, but I have to say something: those are not "secularists".
'Secularist', according to the oxford american english dictionary, denotes someone who advances attitudes, activities or ideas that have no religious basis. I can think of no better term for such people.
They are faithful, scholarly Muslims
Whether they have faith or not, is not my concern. However, I am baffled by your comment that they are 'scholarly'. What defines a scholar in your books? If someone picks up a Qur'an translation and a few books on Islam do they suddenly qualify as a scholar? No, not at all.

Btw, I'm still awaiting your response to my previous posts to you.

NJUSA
05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, if you feel that the Qur'an, ahdith, and other sources of fiqh have nothing to do with religion, and those who study them are dealing in secular subjects, that's up to you. If you feel that decades of study in fiqh and its applications and acquiring advanced degrees in those areas does not qualify one to be deemed a scholar, that is your choice. However, do know that your views are unusual. I gave you an abridged biography as it would take up large amounts of space (not to mention violate copyright laws) to post the relevant pages.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, if you feel that the Qur'an, ahdith, and other sources of fiqh have nothing to do with religion, and those who study them are dealing in secular subjects, that's up to you.
The Qur'an and Ahadith are sources of Shari'ah. Fiqh is the interpretation and application of the shari'ah. I never said that they had nothing to do with religion, those are your words not mine.
If you feel that decades of study in fiqh and its applications and acquiring advanced degrees in those areas does not qualify one to be deemed a scholar, that is your choice.
I'm interested to know what qualifies as 'studying in fiqh' according to you. And what are these ambiguous 'advanced degrees' ? Please tell me which scholars they have studied under, which branches of Shari'ah they have studied, what kind of ijaazah they hold, which books of Ahadith they have memorized, and so on.
However, do know that your views are unusual.
Since it is not my views which contradict the unanimous consensus of Muslim scholars for 14 centuries, please forgive me if I remain skeptical of that assertion.
I gave you an abridged biography as it would take up large amounts of space (not to mention violate copyright laws) to post the relevant pages.
Then you are not capable of articulating the arguments yourself?

NJUSA
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM
You deemed the authors in my bibliography to be secularists, when they are Islamic scholars, which means that you may deem what their area of expertise not to be religious studies. I'll get bios for the authors and post them, although I don't have access to everyone's CV. And only someone with an extremely narrow view of Islamic intellectual traditions could ever say that there has been a "unanimous consensus of Muslim scholars for 14 centuries" on anything beyond the absolute essentials, e.g. the Qur'an as Divine Discourse. I haven't written a position on veiling, so I can't post one.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
You deemed the authors in my bibliography to be secularists, when they are Islamic scholars
Islamic scholars?! These people have secular degrees from secular institutes in the west; they do not even qualify as students of knowledge, let alone scholars. Just to be considered Al-Hâfidh, you need to have memorized the entire Qur'an and 100 000 Ahâdith with their chains of narration. Let us take a look at the first person on your list:

Asma Barlas - no religious education at all. Her degrees are in English Literature and Philosophy from Kinnaird College for Women in Lahore Pakistan; Journalism from the University of the Punjab, Lahore Pakistan; and International Studies from University of Denver, Colorado. She does not posses even a single qualification in ANY branch of Shari'ah yet you advance her as an Islamic scholar??

This is a sad joke. None of the people you mentioned are Islamic scholars. Their only education is from secular institutes, their understanding of Islamic law is severely limited, and yet, you want me to throw out real Islamic scholarship of the past 14 centuries for the opinions of a handful of secularists? No, thank you.

And only someone with an extremely narrow view of Islamic intellectual traditions could ever say that there has been a "unanimous consensus of Muslim scholars for 14 centuries" on anything beyond the absolute essentials, e.g. the Qur'an as Divine Discourse.
Nonsense. Anyone who has studied the Shari'ah knows the scientific basis for scholarly Ijma' and its extension to all major religious issues. Provide the name of even ONE distinguished jurist in Islamic history who has differed from the consensus.

Extremely narrow view? I think the extremely narrow view is the one held by those who seek to dispose of the Sunnah, the understanding of the Salaf, and the scholarly consensus for over a millenia because it is not in-tune with the current fancies of a handful of western-educated secularists.

A Muslim should be willing to fully submit to the Creator and follow Islam as it was revealed by Him in the Qur'an, implemented by the Prophet in the Sunnah and as it was understood by the immediate recipients of the message. If you have a misunderstanding about Islamic law you can have that clarified for you, but there is no need to change the religion.

Maarya
05-08-2006, 07:10 PM
my mum tells me that i was 3 when i 'decided' to wear a scarf coz every1 in my family used to and i've been wearing it eva since, anyway, all the women in our area were like, 'oh my god. why have you forced the scarf on your daughter? she's only little' and things like that. now those women are winging themselves coz their daughters are like 20 and they don't wear a scarf.
i ddon't know about al u sis's, but i feel weird without my hijaab coz i've been wearing it since i was 3, the last 13yrs of my life and its now part of my life.

Sahraxx
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
well i was born a muslimbut i only started practicing fully ramadhan 2005 although i dont wear a jilbab only hijab. My father is from sierra leone (west africa) and my mother from lebanon although her family was born and grew up in sierra leone, i wanted to wear jilbab/abaya but my mum says no because it is not in our culture she likes to say "we are not arabs, "you dress like that only for the mosque" what do you members think i should do ?

dishdash
05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahraxx
well i was born a muslimbut i only started practicing fully ramadhan 2005 although i dont wear a jilbab only hijab. My father is from sierra leone (west africa) and my mother from lebanon although her family was born and grew up in sierra leone, i wanted to wear jilbab/abaya but my mum says no because it is not in our culture she likes to say "we are not arabs, "you dress like that only for the mosque" what do you members think i should do ?
Obey your parents in all things unless they ask you to turn away from the deen in any way. Hijaab is a fard and it seems you are wanting to wear it for the right reasons. Wear it, though show hikma - explain to your mum that it is going to make you so much happier. Every mum wants that for their child. Tell her you will trial it for a while (but instead of seeing if it suits you, you are really getting her used to the idea insh'Allah)

And dispel the Arab nonsense - it is a Moslem thing, not an Arab thing!

I will make dua for you sister - it's a hard thing for some more secular parents to understand. But at the end of the day, it is YOU who are accountable and you must make a call as to how you are going to do it.

God be with you sister.

NJUSA
05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
None of the people you mentioned are Islamic scholars.
To wit:
Asma Barlas's areas of expertise include Qur'an hermeneutics, gender studies, journalism, and comparitive and international politics.
http://faculty.ithaca.edu/cv/cv_abarlas.pdf
Professor Abou El Fadl was trained in Islamic legal sciences in Egypt, Kuwait, and the United States.
http://olincenter.uchicago.edu/2002-...ou-el-fadl.doc.
Amina Wadud's involvement with Islamic studies started with her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, which included an opportunity for intensive advanced Arabic studies component at American University in Cairo,where she also took classes at Cairo University and Al-Azhar University.
http://www.has.vcu.edu/wld/faculty/wadud.html#
Leila Ahmed's 1992 book Women and Gender in Islam is often seen as the authoritative text on the subject. She is a professor at the Harvard Divinity School.
http://www.hds.harvard.edu/faculty/ahmed.html
Fatima Mernissi's first book, The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of Islam, is a historical study of role of the wives of Muhammad.
Other works of Mernissi include

* Islam and Democracy: Fear of the Modern World (1992)
* Forgotten Queens of Islam
* Scheherazade Goes West
* Islam, Gender and Social Change

Mernissi is currently a lecturer at the Mohamed V University of Rabat and a research scholar at the University Institute for Scientific Research, in the same city.
http://www.mernissi.net/
Farid Esack
Farid Esack did his undergraduate studies in Islam at Jami'ah Ulum al-Islamia and graduated from Jami'ah Alimiyyah al-Islamia with a Bachelors Degree in Islamic Law & Theology. He did post-graduate research in Qur'anic Studies at Jami'ah Abu Bakr (all in Karachi) and completed a doctoral degree in Qur'anic Hermeneutics at University of Birmingham (UK). In 1994-95 he was a Research Fellow in Biblical Hermeneutics at Philosophische Theologische Hochschule, Sankt Georgen, Frankfurt am Main.
http://uk.geocities.com/faridesack/
Kecia Ali received her Ph.D. in Religion (Islamic Studies) from Duke University and has contributed articles to the anthologies Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism and Taking Back Islam: American Muslims Reclaim Their Faith. She teaches at Brandeis as a Mellon Fellow in Islamic Studies and Women’s Studies; she will be working on a book on sexual ethics and Islam.
Omid Safi
Educational Background:

* Ph.D., Graduate Program in Religion, with a concentration in Islamic Studies, Duke University.

* Dissertation: "Power and the Politics of Knowledge: Negotiating Political Ideology and Religious Orthodoxy in Saljuq Iran"
* Dissertation Advisors: Dr. Bruce Lawrence, Dr. Vincent Cornell, Dr. Carl Ernst

* M.A. History of Religions, concentration in Islamic Studies, Duke University.
* B.A. Major: Religion; Minor: Biology, Duke University.

http://classes.colgate.edu/osafi/per...%20Background:
Fazlur Rahman studied Arabic at Punjab University, and went on to Oxford University where he wrote a dissertation on Ibn Sina. Afterwards, he began a teaching career, first at Durham University where he taught Persian and Islamic philosophy, and then at McGill University where he taught Islamic studies until 1961.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazlur_Rahman\
I know that there are some new names there; I did say that I posted an abridged bibliography, and this is still incomplete.
Now, I may refuse to recognize Ben Carson as a physician, and decline to be treated by him; I am free to do so. But the state of Maryland, and the AMA recognize him as a licensed physician, and acclaim he has received corroborates the opinion of those entities. You may refuse to recognize the above ladies and gentlemen as Islamic scholars, and deem them secularists. But others do- others who have convened expressly to develop and acknowledge the erudition that you fail to see.
the understanding of the Salaf, and the scholarly consensus for over a millenia because it is not in-tune with the current fancies of a handful of western-educated secularists.
Thank you for making it clear that it is safe to disregard your opinions; few people state their lack of intellectual integrity quite so plainly.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-10-2006, 01:14 AM
To wit:
Asma Barlas's areas of expertise include Qur'an hermeneutics, gender studies, journalism, and comparitive and international politics.
http://faculty.ithaca.edu/cv/cv_abarlas.pdf
With regard to journalism, politics, etc. this is irrelevant to the topic of whether such people qualify as Islamic shcolars (and I read that cv before my previous post btw). As for claiming 'expertise in Qur'an hermeneutics' again this is plainly absurd when she has had no formal education in any Islamic sciences, much less the specified sciences of Usûl At-Tafsîr! Please inform me concerning those qualifications that are relevant to your claim of 'expertise in Qur'an hermeneutics' - at what age did she memorize the Qur'an? Which Qira'ât does she possess 'ijaazah in? What has she studied of the Ulûm Al-Hadîth?

I want to deal with these people one at a time, especially since you have added new names to the list. I want to examine the claim that these people are qualified to propagate their own interpretation of the religion against the traditional consensus.
But others do- others who have convened expressly to develop and acknowledge the erudition that you fail to see.
I don't think this is a subjective issue. We cannot claim scholarship for someone who is not remotely familiar with the fields of study concerned. We do not allow someone who has picked up one or two medical books to start operating on patients.
Thank you for making it clear that it is safe to disregard your opinions; few people state their lack of intellectual integrity quite so plainly.
And few people sideline with such disrespect, the voice of criticism. There is no need for snide remarks - if you want to have an open factual discussion on the issue, I'm all for it.

sheerheart1
05-13-2006, 11:28 PM
[BANANA]
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash
Obey your parents in all things unless they ask you to turn away from the deen in any way. Hijaab is a fard and it seems you are wanting to wear it for the right reasons. Wear it, though show hikma - explain to your mum that it is going to make you so much happier. Every mum wants that for their child. Tell her you will trial it for a while (but instead of seeing if it suits you, you are really getting her used to the idea insh'Allah)

And dispel the Arab nonsense - it is a Moslem thing, not an Arab thing!

I will make dua for you sister - it's a hard thing for some more secular parents to understand. But at the end of the day, it is YOU who are accountable and you must make a call as to how you are going to do it.

God be with you sister.
[/BANANA]

alhamdulilah u are right brother hijaab is not an arab thing its worn by millions of muslim sisters all over the world and yes we are taught to obey our parents and the dicouragement of not wearing hijaab and if you choose to wear it is at no fault of any sisters but not to wear it is a disobeying Allah and what is greater than that for it is with him that our judgement will come and i think that many sisters even tho we love and repsect our parent this is a must from Allah so we should disobey our parents in the cause fact in the situation ..better to disobey them than to disobey our Allah and our prophet
sorry if i seem a little blunt may Allah guide us to do what is best ameen

NJUSA
05-13-2006, 11:44 PM
There are as many ways to express modesty as women who express it. South Asian women drape the dupatta gracefully over their chests, West African women wear striking turbans, African American women wrap their heads in a variety of styles, ranging from simple to incredibly complex, to complement loose tunics or dresses, White women tie fetching floral scarves at the base of the neck, or at their chins to set off blouses or loose dresses. Even in the Arab world, the variety is dazzling. Rural women's colorful scarves, tied at the base of the neck, create a stunning contrast to richly embroidered caftans. Modesty is a value, not a trademark. Let's celebrate it as it is, and not restrict it to the domain of urban Gulf women.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-14-2006, 01:32 AM
There are as many ways to express modesty as women who express it.
Yes, and it should be in accordance with the laws ordained by God. Some westerners will consider it modest to uncover everything except their private parts. Is that alright? Modesty must be determined by the Creator, not according to the subjective whims of the creation.
South Asian women drape the dupatta gracefully over their chests, West African women wear striking turbans, African American women wrap their heads in a variety of styles, ranging from simple to incredibly complex, to complement loose tunics or dresses, White women tie fetching floral scarves at the base of the neck, or at their chins to set off blouses or loose dresses. Even in the Arab world, the variety is dazzling. Rural women's colorful scarves, tied at the base of the neck, create a stunning contrast to richly embroidered caftans. Modesty is a value, not a trademark. Let's celebrate it as it is, and not restrict it to the domain of urban Gulf women.
All forms of dress are permissable so long as they follow the requirements laid out in Islamic law, i.e. the required parts are covered, the clothes are not transparent or otherwise revealing, they do not resemble the opposite gender, etc. etc.

Sahraxx
05-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Jazakhallah khair to evryone who replied my earlier post your advice was very helpful i have started just wearing long skirts for now and inshallah i will start wearing abaya for Uni .

Qurratul Ayn
05-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I LOVE WEARING MY HIJAAB!!!!!!!

IT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD AND I LOVE SEEING OTHER SISTERS WEARING IT TOO!

Asslamu Alaikum
Shakirah

P.S. My Dear Sisters, be proud of wearing the Hijaab and conquer the Shaytaan within!!

*noor
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakirah
Assalamu Alaikum

I LOVE WEARING MY HIJAAB!!!!!!!

IT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD AND I LOVE SEEING OTHER SISTERS WEARING IT TOO!

Asslamu Alaikum
Shakirah

P.S. My Dear Sisters, be proud of wearing the Hijaab and conquer the Shaytaan within!!
right on, sister!!!!!:)

syilla
05-17-2006, 07:10 AM
i love wearing hijab... i feel like an invisible woman..(i can see other people but they cannot see me...-in the sense of they don't take notice of me)

i love wearing jubah tu... but here it's quite expensive.

dishdash
05-18-2006, 08:06 AM
What is a jubah tu?

Mohsin
05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
I think she meant jilbab

Jubah is like a thowb. I think so anyway, correct me if i'm wrong

syilla
05-18-2006, 08:20 AM
i dunno what is thowb... hehe

but jubah is like a long dress...

usually ppl wear it in black...

sorry... i dunno what is the translation... i think i've seen the word somewhere in the web... but for now i'm too lazy to surf...

u see... i'm very sleepy now... only this forum is making me awake...hehe

------
05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Jubah - Like a Jilbab

sheerheart1
06-10-2006, 07:16 AM
My identity is not based on the opinions of other people. If they know I am a Muslima, it will be because of my excellent behaviour.

actualy sister we wear hijaab for Allah and its every muslimah's identitiy and its a law given to us to cover one of the beautys we have saving for our husbands and yes conduct is important a muslim is known by thier manners but we are not supposed to dress like non believers we are different in our mode of dress so ur wrong thier sister we are known for our dress and we should never make excuses that we cant wear if we ask Allah to make us strong alhamdulilah i am sure he would not let us down ameen

youngsister
06-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Salam well i wore my hijab 5 months ago i love it i get those odd looks everyday especially in the summer i only wear black hijabs i cover myself from head to toe and inshAllah i will start wearin my niqab as soon as i move out :)

Ghazi
06-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Respect to the sisters who dress modestly and wear Hijab, I'd also like to add why do western women think our sisters are oppressed cause of hijab ect, they're the oppressed one's they're constantly being dictated what's in fashion and whats not, for example if all the men in the world got togther and said, "Women who wear less clothes arn't attractive." Believe me suddenly even on a hot summer day women would dress modestly, western women are being oppressed by the media for example why don't women these days have the hair styles of the 70's ect.

sevgi
06-10-2006, 02:04 PM
pretty fun to butt in like this...

its wrog to say that muslim women are 'oppressed' because they have to cover themselves coz they cant follow fashion and other 'important' factors of life. covered fashionable clothes are also available...and another thing...'oppressed' isnt exactly the word the Quran and Prophet Mohammed use when describing the way in which women should 'preserve their modesty and beauty'...

Ghazi
06-10-2006, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
pretty fun to butt in like this...

its wrog to say that muslim women are 'oppressed' because they have to cover themselves coz they cant follow fashion and other 'important' factors of life. covered fashionable clothes are also available...and another thing...'oppressed' isnt exactly the word the Quran and Prophet Mohammed use when describing the way in which women should 'preserve their modesty and beauty'...

I agree, I use this term cause our sisters have been accused of this when it's the other way round, call it what you want being dictated to by someone fashion designer ect.

sevgi
06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
...and i just want to say to 'youngsister' who recently adopted the hijab...congratulations...may Allah allow consistency in your new responsibility...i say 'responsibility' coz thats exactly what it is when we put the hijab on and Mashallah you have reached a very high level of faith if you are able to wear it head to toe...

sevgi
06-10-2006, 02:11 PM
being dictated isnt about being told what to wear...its about how to live...if your clothing controls your way of life, then you are being dictated. muslim women are not restricted in anyway which over-powers their life...especially when it comes to clothing...

Ghazi
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
being dictated isnt about being told what to wear...its about how to live...if your clothing controls your way of life, then you are being dictated. muslim women are not restricted in anyway which over-powers their life...especially when it comes to clothing...

I wasn't talking about how they live I ment the simple fact that western women are constantly being told whats in and whats out.

sevgi
06-10-2006, 02:27 PM
ok...misunderstanding...im sorry...

then i guess we are agreeing...which is no fun at all...

dishdash
06-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Are you chaps saying that you don't believe Moslem women follow fashions?! Or even adopt different hairstyles according to the vogues of the day?!

Are you telling me you all have crew cuts underneath those purdy hijaabs?!

x Maz x
06-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Lollll dishdash MashAllah funny breda hehe...I swear I read a similiar topic like this :S...Hmm...eyes deceiving meh ...Peace x

sevgi
06-11-2006, 02:33 PM
:happy: you reek of humour brother...your making me laugh in all threads ur on...no...we have great hair...better than the worn out ones...and we do follow fashion...where did u pik that up?:?

dishdash
06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I wasn't talking about how they live I ment the simple fact that western women are constantly being told whats in and whats out.
Here.

sheerheart1
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
[S]
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

[/S]

my brother why do you say this about western women as many women embrass islam fro mthe west and depending on what country your from any ways i think sometimes the east is more liberal than the west being as i live in the east and see the fashions here where sisters mostly in the west tend to cover up alont of sisters in the east are plucking eyebrows haram by the way they are also wearing tight clothes which is forbidden showing any part of the body is haram except for 2 things the hands and the feet ..

when i walk down the streets in cairo where i know live and the underwear and night attire is like a poro show something being from the uk i had not seen before ;D not evberything in the west is bad just like all in the east is not bad if you have good values in ur ownself u will be fine if you do not value your Allah u faith your honour and dignity i am never gona stop wearing my hijaab for anyone ( oh by the way being a white muslim from the west i see and know exactually what both are wearing as i as i said live in the east now so i wrote it for both lots of sisters living in the east ad the west because we all have alot to do i am not oppressed nor supressed i am simpley a memeber of the ummah in this world i have values ( oh yes sometimes when the day is so hot here i wish i could throw the hijaab off but i can't...... i even swim in mine even in the red sea i have done ( and got weired looks from alot of people but hey who care i did for Allah alhamdulilah :happy: :giggling: :thankyou: :w:

sheerheart1
06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
[[BANANA]QUOTE=dishdash;352270]Are you chaps saying that you don't believe Moslem women follow fashions?! Or even adopt different hairstyles according to the vogues of the day?!

Are you telling me you all have crew cuts underneath those purdy hijaabs?![/QUOTE][/BANANA]

brother who knows what one wears uinder hiijaab abeyah and niqab someone i know has very short hair makeups oh yeah and they go out in there undies lolol;D

youngsister
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
...and i just want to say to 'youngsister' who recently adopted the hijab...congratulations...may Allah allow consistency in your new responsibility...i say 'responsibility' coz thats exactly what it is when we put the hijab on and Mashallah you have reached a very high level of faith if you are able to wear it head to toe...

Aww thanks summeye :):sister:

ishkabab
06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Assalamu Alaikum
here in New York and this world I AM SOOOOO HAPPY!! to wear hijab and niqab.....i feel sooo good in everyway!!!

may Allah Tala grant every other Muslimah sister the same feeling i endure and much more inshAllah ...AMEEN!!!!!!!!!!

Les_Nubian
09-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I really dislike when some Muslim (and non-muslim) women argue that "women don't need to be protected from sexuality." Or when they say things like, "Not all gases are just from men, and not all gases from men are sexual."

This is not what it is about. We are not afraid of "sexuality". Sexuality for us is just more of a private thing, not to parade around in the streets with. And, we do our best to protect ourselves from rape as well, while so many women wearing mini skirts and short shorts are being teased and raped. Dressing in revealing clothing is just an open invitation for men to harass and/or gase at you in a sexual way, or to even rape you. There are so many rapes in the United States every single day, that it's really sad. It's also sad how half naked women are being used on television to sell everything from coca cola to car insurance.

When you dress very provocatively, you're basically saying, "come on in!" The more naked you are, is not the more liberated you are. It's quite the opposite. Free yourselves, women! Free yourselves from your arrogance, your pride, and from being sexual slaves of western men, and what they want you to wear!

Surely I'm not one to point a finger as I have a lot to work on myself, but this is just a call for solidarity. I hope all women get the strength to at least cover themselves in a modest way, if you don't want to wear the head covering. And even so, I hope you get the strength to wear full hijab (head scarf and all), as it is very important. It's not even only about "sexual gases"...it's about being known as a Muslim woman. Make it obvious, no matter what people think.

It's an act of worship to your Lord, in humility. To cover your head in humility and respect for your Lord. Please sisters, don't try to please other men/women. This is not your purpose. Please Allah, and everything will follow after. When God is pleased, everyone is pleased.

May Allah bless all of you! :D

Umm Yoosuf
09-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Masha Allah. Well put :)

Les_Nubian
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Danke! :D

sheerheart1
05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
insha'allah Allah will brong us together ameen

sheerheart1
05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
As far as i know Jamal Badawi believes hijab is not qapplicable to this time, controversial opinion
this is wrong hijaab is fard u cnt change it

England
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I refuse to wear a hijab... in fact YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME! :blind:

asadxyz
05-24-2007, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
I refuse to wear a hijab... in fact YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME! :blind:
Assalaam o Alaikum
Dear sister:Hijaab is Fudh in Islam.Doing or not doing a thing is absolutely another matter.For example Salaat is Furdh but many Muslims do not perform.But it does not mean it has not remained Furdh anymore.
Even if someone changes his/her religion who can force him/her??
None or us is responsible for the deeds of others.
Best of luck

zanjabeela
05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Originally Posted by England
I refuse to wear a hijab... in fact YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME!
Assalaam o Alaikum
Dear sister:Hijaab is Fudh in Islam.Doing or not doing a thing is absolutely another matter.For example Salaat is Furdh but many Muslims do not perform.But it does not mean it has not remained Furdh anymore.
Even if someone changes his/her religion who can force him/her??
Best of luck
Brother England is a...brother...and I think he is not a Muslim...so the hijab is not fardh on him at all. :X

Love my hijab, I refuse to take it off, and NOBODY IS GOING TO MAKE ME! InshaAllah! :D

ummzayd
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Personally, I don't like to assess other people's levels of faith, because doing so properly would require information that I don't have access to. If I were to presume someone else's level of faith, I'd do so on more reliable indicators of character, such as patience, kindness, generosity, etc.

agreed on this (although disagree about hijab not being fard, which I won't comment on cos the mod is doing a better job than I ever could masha'Allah).

albarakat
05-26-2007, 09:08 PM
As-salyamu aleikum va rahmatu Llahi va barakatu.

The firm Al-Barakat exists since 2000. Our task was to develop and produce fashionable and high quality clothes, satisfying the Shariat’s standards and adapted to the peculiarities of our country.

Every model is based on European style, which is characterized by clear regular lines, minimalism of trimming and decoration, modern practical fabrics, ideally worked out patterns and high quality dress-making.

A great model base has been worked out these years, which is constantly expanding by learning the demand. The collaboration with high-tech technologies, which have great professionalism and working experience, lets us produce quality production, corresponding the modern customers’ requirements.

Al-Barakat presents its own muslim clothes’ vision, basing on surrounding us realities and sincerely believing that our sisters in faith are worthy of all the best.

Collaboration
The firm Al-Barakat offers collaboration. You can receive detailed information by telephone 8 903 547 41 31 or by sending e-mail from section contacts.

www.albarakat.ru/en

vpb
05-26-2007, 09:17 PM

I would wear a hijab. so I vote for YES.

Kittygyal
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb

I would wear a hijab. so I vote for YES.
Salamualikum.
^ IF you were a dudette. :omg:
ma'assalama

Maryama007
05-29-2007, 06:26 AM
I Agree With U 100%

Queendom hijabs
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
HI I am new to this, but I would like to bring this site to your attention

www.queendom-hijabs.com

thanks

tears4husain
06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
:sl: Sister, when is it agood time to introduce your daughter to hijab? for one im expecting a child and it may be a girl.Some people say eleven,some say fourteen im not sure. Then im a man teaching my wife about islam how do I teach her about the hijab and the womans aspect of islam?:)

Queendom hijabs
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi there,

What I can tell you is that it has to be a decision she (wife or daughter) in order for it to stick. I have friends (Westerners) who took an Islamic class in college, these people drank and did all you can imagine, and I saw them with me through high school years etc.. But all it took was a college class! Isn't that amazing?? It's the fastest growing religion.

Also note, I have known people to take the hijab off after wearing it at a young age, because they "did their time".

You don't want that to happen. I love being Muslim, and I more than many hijabi friends will not certain things simply b/cI understand (or try to) Islam.

When I was young, I was told stories in a formal and informal setting. In grade 5 or so, I took a religion class, and my teacher basically was a young "hip" guy, no beard no long clothing, wasn't old, he looked like someone I saw on the street everyday.

He asked us to read the holy Qu'raan and then he would explain it in a funny manner. He would tell us stories associated with a particular verse, and it was exciting casue it was like talking to someone who CHOSE to teach Islam.

He showed us that we didn't have to follow a certain look or whatever the media puts out.

INFORMALLY, my mom and dad were big in making available to me material. I like magazines (popular kids stuff you know) and my dad brother and I had a special thing every friday, we went and bought this magazine and fought over it. It was an arabic kid friendly thing, but it had some sort of content on positive issues. I loved it. SO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH YOUR DAUGHTER, choose an Islamic magazine and make it your speical thing, she'll feel comfortable with asking you stuff and with the religion.

NOt to go on and on, my fun from the calss room was supported by SMALL easily readable books that would tell ONE story in depth from the Qur'aan. Give it to her one dose at a time. I had to digest it slowly BY MYSELF.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, and I mean this in the best way, don't freak out if she doubts it sometime and at your desicretion, let HER figure out why it's good/bad, logical/not, etc.. It's why I don't do x, y and z, b/c I know the reasons AND if I don't I have the thought to figure them out.

For any woman trying to be introduced into womanly duties in Islam, it's not the easiest thing, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. Don't come across over bearing, or really eager to shuve it down their throat, thy'll just resist.

Take one thing at a time, bring it up casually, whenever they're interested in something integrate an Islamic principle

OH AND SHOW THEM THE MOVIE "Al-Rissaleh" starring anthony Quin great medium.

I must confess I started [Queendom-Hijabs. com] and I don't wear a hijab, however, I am Muslim. And this is the reason I started the hijab line, because no one has made it "cool" for girlz to be Muslim, there's no Tommmy Hilfigure of Islam. So that's what I tried to do with Queendom-Hijabs. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Sorry for lenghthy email but wanted to answer as much as possible.

thank you

Maryama007
06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tears4husain
:sl: Sister, when is it agood time to introduce your daughter to hijab? for one im expecting a child and it may be a girl.Some people say eleven,some say fourteen im not sure. Then im a man teaching my wife about islam how do I teach her about the hijab and the womans aspect of islam?:)
:sl: BROTHER
THE BEST TIME FOR A GOUNG GIRL TO START WEARING THE HIJAB IS AT THE AGE OF 1 OR 2. I AM TELLING U THIS BECAUSE I HAVE LITTEL COUSENS WHO ARE 5 3 AND 1 YEARS OLD WHO ARE ALL GIRLS AND THE 5 YEAR OLD JUST STATED PRE-SCHOOL THEN THAT LITTEL GIRL IS GOING TO LOOK AT OTHER GIRLS WHO DONT WEAR THE HIJAB AND FEELS DIFFERENT WALLAHAY HER MOTHER FORCES HER TO WEAR IT. AND IF U DONT START INFORCEING IT AT AN EARLY AGE THEN IT WOULD BE A BATTEL TO GET HER TO WEAR THE HIJAB LATTER ON IN LIFE.
I THINK THE AGE OF 11 OR 14 IS WAY TO LATE TO GET A GOUNG GIRL TO START WEARING THE HIJAB BECAUSE BY THAT TIME THEY ALREADY HAVE MOST OF THIER MIND MAD UP ABOUT WHAT TO WEAR AND WHAT NOT TO WEAR. YOU ARE TRYING TO RAISE YOUR FAMLIY AS A MUSLIM HOUSE HOLD AND TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT ISLAM STARTS AT A VERY EARLY AGE . NOT OH YOU ARE OFFICIALY MUSLIM AT AGE 14 OF 15 OR SOME PEOPLE THINK IT IS TO EARLY TO INTRADOS ALL THAT TO A CHILD BECAUSE THIER YOUNG BUT CHILDREN LEARN MORE WHEN THERE YOUNG AND ARE MORE EXCEPTING AT THAT AGE MORE THEN THEY ARE WHEN THEY GROW UP.

AS TO YOUR WIFE TEACHING HER THE MEANING OF THE HIJAB IN THE QURAN THAT IT IS NOT A PIECE OF SCARF BUT A PIECE OF THE QURAN SHE IS WEARING THAT WAS BROUGHT DOWN BY ALLAH WICH IS ONE OF THE MOST BEUTIFUL SYMBOLS AND MODESTY TO SHOW YOUR LOVE FOR ALLAH THAT IS GOING TO BRING YOU MUCH MORE CLOSER TO ALLAH IN THE DAY OF JUGEDMENT.
:w: BROTHER I WISH THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. AND FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY OTHER QUESTION THAT U MAY HAVE. I AM NOT A SCHOLAR I GREW UP AS A MUSLIM ALL MY LIFE I AM FROM A STRONG MUSLIM BACK GROUND AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTION. I PRAY THAT ALLAH GIDES YOUR FAMILY.

UmmHasan
06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
well sis wearing Jeans and tops and stuff doesn't look nice with a scarf on well anyway that's my opinion tho :)

take care
i agree with u
my mom soent allow me to
if she sees a hair come out of my scarf.....
boy i m grounded
wasalam
-Hafsah

sheerheart1
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
[S]Even if someone changes his/her religion who can force him/her??
Best of luck[/QUOTE][/S

yes it is our resposablity to direct them in the right way and my brother if the prophet s.w.s had not done that where would islam be today weak????????????????? think may Allah guide u ameen:rollseyes

sheerheart1
06-12-2007, 01:21 PM
[MOUSE]brother salaam i think if u start easy with young children by giving them hats to wear also putting bandana on them the will get used to it and go easy in to hijaab which personally i think should be introduced to them at around 7 years old because u know girls grow up so quick these days when u look around girls having babies and drinking i am talking even about some muslim sisters who like to dress futile like non believer we are asked not to look like them to dress like them so with the world so mixed up today best to start early around 7-9 years old :statisfie [/MOUSE]:omg:

stefanrosty
06-22-2007, 01:57 AM
what you are talking about is called "hijab al sha3r" or " hijab al raas"
or "khimar al raas" but hijab means barrier and khamr means covers , same for khimar ( any clothes because it covers the skin ) as for khamr ( anything that covers the mind ) .
no other hijab
where did god mention in the quran either women's hair or head ?

[42:51] Wama kana libasharin anyukallimahu Allahu illa wahyan aw min wara-ihijabin aw yursila rasoolan fayoohiya bi-ithnihima yashao innahu AAaliyyun hakeemun

وما كان لبشر ان يكلمه الله الا وحيا او من وراء حجاب او يرسل رسولا فيوحي باذنه ما يشاء انه علي حكيم

It is not fitting for a man that Allah should speak to him except by inspiration, or from behind a veil, or by the sending of a messenger to reveal, with Allah's permission, what Allah wills: for He is Most High, Most Wise.

did the prophet wear a hijab while he was inspired ?

or is it just a barrier , the hijab we know today was given that name after the quran and not the other way round.

albarakat
06-22-2007, 12:38 PM
As-salyamu aleikum va rahmatu Llahi va barakatu.

Updating of a collection.

You can order the liked clothes through a site.

On a site www.albarakat.ru/en in section "Contacts", you can write the letter with the description of the liked model. To you will by all means answer about presence of the goods, the price and a way of its reception. Specify, please, number of model, color, the size. This information you can look having cluck on a photo of model two times.

Welcome!

rozeena
06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
can i just ask weda it is necesary 2 wear a headscarf?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.