/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what the real meaning of "jannah"?

ivanna25
04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I have read lately some english version of quran, and i ve realized that english and all the languages are unable to explain exactly the words of Allah, which wererevealed in the arabic language. a big difference between the original version and the translated versions.

For example, the word "jannah" when translated to english, it becomes paradise. But jannah in arabic is not 100% paradise. Anyway, the word "jannah" in Quran, what does it mean? why God call it "jannah"?
I hope you dont give me the translation of it, but rather it s meaning.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
:salamext:

The arabic word 'jannah/jannat' actually means 'garden.'

And the english word 'heaven' actually means the seven heavens/skies above us. So paradise, and heaven are two totally different things.

The only reason the translations refer to jannah as paradise is to make it easier to understand.

A good example of the definition of jannah in the Qur'an is:

Surah Buruj (85:11)
For those who believe and do righteous deeds, will be Gardens; beneath which rivers flow: That is the great Salvation, (the fulfilment of all desires),

Inna allatheena amanoowaAAamiloo alssalihati lahum jannatuntajree min tahtiha al-anharu thalikaalfawzu alkabeeru.

..& Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

PS. Thread Moved to Arabic Section.

extinction
04-11-2006, 03:27 PM
hmmm very interesting

ivanna25
04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
well, i hope that somebody answer the question right. Why God call it "jannah"? there is meaning which related basically to linguistics more than anything. Why God called paradise "jannah" rather than " 7adika" or anything else?
well, i know the answer bidni allah but its good to search yourself till u have the answer

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Jannah, jinn, jinnon.. = that which is hidden from sight or concealed.
I realize it is a bit too late now but I did put the etymology of the word before if you're still subscribed to this thread.. hopefully you'll see this in shaa Allah and here's al'baheth al'arabi for it

http://www.baheth.info/all.jsp?term=%D8%AC%D9%86%D9%87

Endymion
07-03-2012, 03:32 AM
Mufti Muhammad Shafi Usmani wrote in Mariful Quran that Jannah is actually a place where food and other bounties will never end.

Bint-e-Adam
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Jannah as said in urdu : jannat

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.