/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can women cut their hair

muzna
04-12-2006, 05:21 AM
assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

my hair reaches up to 6 inches off the floor. my father says its not allowed to cut, even trim a womens hair. my mom says its okay to cut...not sure what to do..help!!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
04-12-2006, 05:43 AM
wow masha Allah

A very venerable shaykh told us that it was makruh tahrimi for a woman to cut her hair unless absolutely necessary. What if one's husband wants her to cut it? Is that considered to be one of those "absolutely necessary" cases?

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

According to leading Hanafi scholars of Syria, including Shaykh Adib Kallas, there is no harm in a woman cutting her hair, as long as:

a) it remains feminine (and thus does not resemble men);

b) it is not cut with the express intent of imitating non-Muslim fashions; and

c) it is not cut ‘excessively’.

The texts in the Hanafi school indicating impermissibility of women cutting their hair are understood—these scholars say—to be conditioned by the above considerations.

In the Shafii school, it is permitted to even cut the hair very short if the husband prefers it that way.

Please go to www.SunniPath.com, and search for women cutting hair

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

source

Khaldun
04-12-2006, 05:47 AM
:sl:

This is what the great scholar Bin Baz (may Allah have mercy on him) said on the issue

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Read Further

muzna
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
jazakallah...still a little confused..but thank you for your informative responses

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
04-12-2006, 11:50 AM

sis it perfectly allowed to cut hair. in issues like cutting hair you will find no evidence disallowing it. theres none.

think about it. if it was disallowed so strongly then there would be evidence. for tatoos theres evidence for eyebrow plucking theres evidence.

infact take a look at the link bro khaldun has posted and this shows even the wives of Muhammed :arabic5: cut their hair

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.”

i must say though that a few scholars think its haraam :-\ dunno why.

muzna
04-12-2006, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna

my hair reaches up to 6 inches off the floor. my father says its not allowed to cut, even trim a womens hair. my mom says its okay to cut...not sure what to do..help!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by zAk : 6 Hours Ago at 05:40 AM.

assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters.
my initial post has been edited by zak where my height has been deleted. i kindly request to know the reason behind this edition

mahuruf
04-12-2006, 12:58 PM
As'salamu Alaikum,

Q.) I have read the material on Women's hair length that is on the site, but I have some further questions on the same topic.

I've never come across a source that clearly identifies guidelines for the hair length of a female's hair.

All I've heard is fatwa chatter saying women's hair should be shoulder length to maintain the identity that she actually is a female. Then on the other hand you have men who grow their hair long because its "sunnat". Wait a second . . . doesn't that blur the line of differentiation between a man and a woman? Does he not look more like a female?

Women who naturally have short hair, what of them? Or those who have to keep short hair for a particular reason even if it is fashion?

The identity of a woman can be preserved through many features and that's not only the length of the hair.

Why is there a restriction on it but never any clear cut guideline? Please elaborate on this topic

A.) Firstly, we would like to clarify that there is no Fatawa stating that 'women's hair should be shoulder length to maintain the identity.'

The Fatwa is that a woman should let her hair grow naturally long even way below the shoulder line and is only allowed to trim the bottom to even out the split ends or to enhance the growth. This trimming does not exceed more than a few inches.

Hence, it is in no way permissible for a woman to shorten her hair up to shoulder length. A woman who has naturally short hair is obviously exempted. As for men, it has been established through the Hadith of Rasulullah that he used to, at times, have hair which reached up to his shoulders. There is a clear distinction between males and females. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Was-salaam

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

S_87
04-12-2006, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by zAk : 6 Hours Ago at 05:40 AM.

assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters.
my initial post has been edited by zak where my height has been deleted. i kindly request to know the reason behind this edition

because its not right to tell too much about yourself. by all means say in sisters room but not on public forum you know...? :)

as for above fatwa... that shows different to what it states in sahih muslim. :-\

al-fateh
04-12-2006, 01:52 PM
yes there is no harm in it

muzna
04-13-2006, 06:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
guess... the fatwa is the same... irrespective of diff heights....

so... tht wasnt really required... plus...:)
assalamu alaikum
sorry..i am new here so was not aware of this rule. i stated my height to give the right impression of my situation, not with the intention of disclosing unnecessary information..i am sorry for the slip.
peace..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.