/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Translation of the Holy Qur'an: Your help is neede

Serene
04-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Asslamu Alikum everyone,

Hope you are all doing fien and in good health inshaa Allah.

I need your help people. I am currently working on a study to measure readers' response. English speaking subjects are needed for the study.

Subjects' mother tongue should not be Arabic, and they should be under 17 years old.

Interested pariciapants will recieve a copy of the questionaire they will have to answer inshaa Allah.

Remember you are doing it for the sake of Islam

May Allah bless you alll

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
:wasalamex

Ameen to your dua'. Does this include 17yr olds too?

:salamext:

Serene
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Asslamu Alikum,
yes it does, and it extends to include 18 as well. Please I do need your cooperation as soon as possible

May Allah always guide you to whatever that pleases HIM

Kittygyal
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Salam amin

sis don't worry we aill all help you :)

W.Salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM

Ameen. If you're going to send the questionnaire through pm, then you can do that anytime insha'Allaah. barak Allaahu feeki.

Serene
04-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Barak Allahu feeka inshaa Allah.

I will be getting the questioaire ready as soon as possible.

One more favor please, could you spread the word about the project among friends and people who might be interested to take part in the questionaire and may Allah grant you knowledge inshaa Allah as you will be helping others to know more and consequently help others. So may you be granted hasanah for everyone who would benefitfrom this project inshaa Allah

- Qatada -
04-14-2006, 05:14 PM

jazak Allaah khayr and ameen, i'll do that insha'Allaah.

afriend
04-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Well?

where do i sign up?

A7med
04-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Yep i wouldnt mind reciving a quetionaire ;)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
:sl:

Inshallah, I am willing to participate. Let me know where i can do this Inshallah.

:w:

Ghazi
04-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Salaam

I'll be willing to help in anyway.

Serene
04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Jazakum Allah all khayran,

I will be posting the questioanire so soon inshaa Allah, and then you can post the response to my private mail.

Just spread the word, people, we need as many participants as possible...

May you be the glory of islam in its coming days inshaa Allah

Asslam Alikum

Serene
08-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Aslamu Alikum dear brothers and sisters,

I hope this finds you all in good health and iman. I am sorry I have been away all that time, but I did miss being amongst you. I would like to remind you of my research and project to evaluate a specific translation of the Holy Qur'an, one that is mainly intended for youngsters. As I have told you before, this research needs your cooperation to see for ourselves if the translation is any different from other translations.

So please, any memeber who is willing to take part in some questionnaires for the sake of the study, reply to this post. However, participants should meet he following conditiond:

1) Non- Arabic speaking muslim, or a second generation Arab
2) under the age of 18
3) non muslim youngsters are invited to take part as well.
4) One has to be depending on English translations of the Qur'an, even if one in the proces of learning Arabic

Jazakum Allah khayran katheeran

I will be waiting for your queries and replies

- Qatada -
08-06-2006, 11:05 AM

If it's a translation, then aren't we supposed to know arabic in depth..? I look forward to the project though, insha'Allaah.

Serene
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
jazaka Allahu khayran brother,

The main purpose of the research is to judge the quality of the translation through the response of the participants. In other words, participants will not be responsible for comapring and contrasting the translation to the original Arabic text of the Holy Qur'an; instead, English speaking muslims will respond to the translation and maybe compare it to other translations they use.

Your help is really appreciated, you even made me think of adding a new part to the project.

Serene
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Asslamu Alikum,

I hope this finds you all in good health and in iman. I am writing to ask for the help of all non-Arabic Speaking young muslim to help in one project of assessment to one of the English translations of the HOly Qur'an.

The research is based on the responses of English speaking young muslims, under the age of 19. I will be waiting for your replies so I can discuss with you the means of help needed.

Asslamu Alikum

ameen
08-08-2006, 05:46 PM
as-salamu'alaikum,

I will participate in the research, insha-Allah.

Muhammad
08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
:sl:

(Threads merged).

Serene
08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Asslamu Alikum wa Rahamtu Allah wa Barkatu,

I am truly obliged to you all, and may Allah reward you for your noble intentions inshaa Allah.

There is one muslim brother amongst this blessed group who has offered to help in introducing the questioinnaire in an easy and handy way. MAy Allah bless his efforts and reward him.

All your suggestions are much appreciated, and your help is honestly needed, but prayers are a matter of life or death for me, for only ALLHA knows how much I need them in this very hard time

Serene
08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Asslmau ALikum,
I hope this finds you all well. Please do check the following link to download my first questionnaire to you.

http://www.sparklywater.com/files/mi...ionnaire_2.zip

Your time and effort are appreciated and may Allah ALmighty rewrd you for your help.

You could either post your replies to this thread or you could send me your replies to my mail, wheteve that is convenient for you

Hope I am not burdening you with too much

Be sure that I will be sharing results with you as soon as possible

Salah ad-din
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
http://www.myislamweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10549

AceOfHearts
09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Assalamu alaikum sister,

My prayers are with you.

Allah does indeed respond to those who sincerely call on Him.

“And if My servants ask you about Me, I am near answering the calls of those who call to Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.” [Qur’an 2:186]

I have filled in your questionnaire throught the brother who is aiding you with this. I hope you have had plenty of responses.

May Allah help you with your studies and in all areas of life.

Peace to you. :)

Serene
09-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Jazak Allah khayran for your time, effort, and prayers.

So shall I be receiving the response through the kind brother responsible for coordinating the questionnaire business?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 01:41 AM
under 19? =\ aww i jus turned 19 >.<
i wana help....does it matter? =D
Jazak Allah sis lol :)

AceOfHearts
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serene
Jazak Allah khayran for your time, effort, and prayers.

So shall I be receiving the response through the kind brother responsible for coordinating the questionnaire business?
You have got it. :)

Peace unto you sister.

Serene
09-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Asslamu Aliukm everyone,

Thank you all for your support and kindness. Thank you Companion, and jazaka Allah khayran for the reply you have already sent. And Tayyaba I have sent you the questionnaire which can be accessed through this section at another thread, and I will be waiting for your reply inshaa Allah

Romi Elnagar
09-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Dear people,

Here is my Questionnaire. I haven't ever done something like this before, so please forgive me if I am not supposed to put this here. I can't figure out where the "Attachments" feature is that the Questionnaire talks about.
Sincerely,
Romi Elnagar
P.S. I think i "uploaded" this as an Attachment, too, but I can't figure out how I can tell for sure.:?

Questionnaire – ( ‘If Qur’an isn’t its translation …’ )

Please type in your answers in the spaces following each question. After completion, please upload this Microsoft Word document to the thread titled ‘Translation of the Qur’an…’ found at the following link:

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...elp-neede.html

You may upload the file by using the ‘Attachments’ feature when posting in the thread, by using the Attachments icon (paperclip).
If the Microsoft Word file is too large to upload, please ‘zip’ the file into a compressed folder, by right clicking on the file’s icon and using the ‘Send To’ option to select ‘Compressed (zipped) Folder’.
You may then upload this smaller zipped folder into your post.

Please state how long it takes you to complete this questionnaire: Approx.20---- mins.

1) Your Age: 58

Your Nationality: American

Your Education: BA, History, UC Davis; Certificate in Teaching ESL, UC Riverside, Teaching credential (elementary), California ("Ryan Act"), Masters of Library and Information Science, Lousiana State Univ.

Languages you speak other than English: very limited ability in Spanish, French, German and Arabic.

Exposure to Arabic (e.g mother-tongue of parents / learning at school):
married 27 years to a native speaker of Egyptian Arabic

If Qur’an isn’t its translation …

1) What do you expect from a translation of the Holy Qur’an? that it be a faithful and accurate interpretation of the Word of God to Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). That the translator treat the act of translation with the highest respect for the Word of God.

2) What is it that you prefer most in any given translation? expresses in English the sense of the Arabic words and that it uses language appropriate to a sacred text (dignified, elevated, resonant and memorable)

3) Do you know how to judge a translation of the Holy Qur’an to be good or not? Not very well. I ask my husband sometimes. I suppose I could go online to Qaradawi's site (Islamonline) if I had a question about a translation. I have not bought a translation in years, ever since I got Asad twenty years ago at the Islamic Center of Southern California

4) What would you like to see in translations of the Qur’an, as it does not already exist and is lacking in current translations? A concordance, like that in Christian Bibles, where you can look up a word and find all the passages that have that word listed (for example, words like "fast," "Kaaba," "Jews,", "Pharaoh," etc.)

5) What is the Qur’an translation you use? Why? If I want an accurate translation I use Muhammed Asad's translation. I read Arberry's translation for its literary qualities, and also I like to read Pickthall's. It was Pickthall's translation that I read all the way through and then decided that no man could hve written the Qur'an, and so converted to Islam.

6) Do you prefer hard-copy (printed) versions of Qur’an, or computers’ version? Either is fine.

7) What would make you seek to buy or find a specific translation of the Qur’an? For example, you hear of a new translation, a friend told you about his favourite translation …etc. Perhaps a recommendation from a scholar like Qaradawi.

8) What do you dislike most in any given translation of the Qur’an? I don't read "translations" by non-Muslims. Some European translations by non-Muslims are okay, but some are prejudiced, hostile, biased and full of hate towards Islam and Muslim. Those translations by those people are worse than useless.

9) Have you ever decided not to use a particular translation of the Qur’an? If so, why? Sometimes I wonder if some of the translations that I see in non-Muslim bookstores are done as carefully as Asad's and Pickthall's must have been.

10) Do you think that translations and translated explanations are enough to understand the meanings of Qur’an or does one have to learn Arabic? Learning the Qur'an is a lifelong process. My husband is a native speaker of Arabic, but finds that he learns about the Qur'an by reading Asad's fine translation. As you probably know, Asad was a Polish Jew who converted to Islam and lived the Arabian desert for several years in order to understand the Arabic that is closest to the Arabic of Muhammed's day (including idioms, etc.). He was fluent in several languages (I think he served as Pakistan's ambassador to the UN after its independence.)
You really have to work at learning about the Qur'an and in the process you learn the nuances of Arabic terms, but lnaguages are hard for me to acquire. I think, though, that the answer to your question is a qualified "yes," you really need to learn Arabic to appreciate the Qur'an. I think that the language of Arabic itself may create an awareness of human relationships that is different from English, but it is hard for me to express what that is exactly, "egalitarism" comes about the closest to what I mean.

cssharif
09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Please state how long it takes you to complete this questionnaire: Approx. ----10 mins.
1) Your Age:
2) 59
Your Nationality: African American
Your Education: BA College
Languages you speak other than English: none
Exposure to Arabic (e.g mother-tongue of parents / learning at school): In Arabic Class now
If Qur’an isn’t its translation …
1. What do you expect from a translation of the Holy Qur’an?
2. accuracy
2. What is it that you prefer most in any given translation?
3. clarity
3. Do you know how to judge a translation of the Holy Qur’an to be good or not?
4. whether it adhears to the spirit of the message.
4. What would you like to see in translations of the Qur’an, as it does not already exist and is lacking in current translations?
5. transliteration
5. What is the Qur’an translation you use? Why?
6. Yusuf Ali . I like its style and the execellent commentary
6. Do you prefer hard-copy (printed) versions of Qur’an, or computers’ version?
7. hardcopy
7. What would make you seek to buy or find a specific translation of the Qur’an? For example, you hear of a new translation, a friend told you about his favourite translation …etc.
8. reports on its quality
8. What do you dislike most in any given translation of the Qur’an?
9. the addition of ideas or concepts that are not in the original text.
9. Have you ever decided not to use a particular translation of the Qur’an? If so, why?
10. yes . because it had additions that were not in the original text.
10. Do you think that translations and translated explanations are enough to understand the meanings of Qur’an or does one have to learn Arabic?
11. It is easier to learn the Quran’s concepts in your native language. However it is better to understand it if you learn to read Arabic.

Ummah
09-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Asalaamualaikum

filled it and then realised its onyl for under 18s.. so deleted it.. but just saw the 2 posts above are from 50+ year olds..

*confuzzled*

cssharif
09-29-2006, 03:11 AM
ASA I wasn't aware of an age limit. Please pardon me if there is one. Peace, Brother Curtis

Serene
09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Asslamu Alikum,

Well, you both have the right to be confused. The main goal was to reach a mechainsm of gauging the quality of translation of Qur'an aimed at teens and young muslims. However, as that was not practially that easy, and since older participants have much insight and their replies do help in highliting the different preferences in translations of different age groups, the AGE LIMIT thing was ELEMINTAED altogether.
Dear sister Ummah, it is a great loss you deleted your replies, and dear brother Curtis, your paricipation is so very much valued. Jazakum Allah all for your hep and support.
Ramadan Kareem

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.