/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone read "Da Vinci Code" By Dan Brown

Sis786
04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Salaam

I was wondering if anyone has read the Book "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. I started reading this about 4 weeks ago and im hooked i aint finished yet soo no one PLEASE tell me the ending, but just wanted your general thoughts.

The Movie is also released in May 06 starring Tom Hanks!

Wait for your replies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
salafiah
04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
no sister!
i havn,t read it yet.
sorry

Sunflower
04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
I read it and i hated it because it took so long to get to the point also i didnt understand the whole point or concept of the book. but a lot of my friends liked it so i guess your just like them!!!

maryam (",)
04-20-2006, 09:58 PM
read the book and thort it was a gr8 read
can't imagine tom hanks as the main guy...can almost hear every in the movie house screaming "run forest, run"...during the chase at the beginning of the book :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sis786
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam (",)
read the book and thort it was a gr8 read
can't imagine tom hanks as the main guy...can almost hear every in the movie house screaming "run forest, run"...during the chase at the beginning of the book :)
;D ;D True he is a really good actor so i think he will play the role well, have you seen the trailers they look amazing

Inshallah
04-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Waiting for the movie. I fall a sleep when i read books. :okay:

Sister_6038
04-21-2006, 09:06 AM
ive read it....zee albino monk gave me nightmares for weeks....as when i read books my mind creates its own very graphic pictures...its been like this since i was a child....i read a book....i can see every single thing the author describes as if its happening right before my eyes....

Sis786
04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
ive read it....zee albino monk gave me nightmares for weeks....as when i read books my mind creates its own very graphic pictures...its been like this since i was a child....i read a book....i can see every single thing the author describes as if its happening right before my eyes....
Well then sis dont watch the movie in the Trailers Silas the Monk is Whipping himself and its nasty

Sister_6038
04-21-2006, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Well then sis dont watch the movie in the Trailers Silas the Monk is Whipping himself and its nasty
ive seen worse sis...and if i do go and watch it...it will be purely for literary purposes...(i do eng lit..grrrrr)...so never know it may come handy in my snoyptic paper...i dont how you spell snoyptic and i dont care...grrrr...:D:D:D

Inshallah
04-21-2006, 09:22 AM
tom hanks is an good actor by the way.

Sis786
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah
tom hanks is an good actor by the way.
:rollseyes Thats What i said

Sunflower
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
i read the book its ok if u like reading that sorta thing... u no apparently dann brown was taken 2 court for stealing ideas from another book....

ridaa_islam
04-21-2006, 05:02 PM
yes ive read dat buk its a take on christianity as far as i cud make out...
if u want to read something dat really shakes you up, it's a buk by the same author called "ANGELS AND DEMONS" my god it hits at the roots of the vatican authority...i recommend dat as a read for evryone

ridaa_islam
04-21-2006, 05:05 PM
if ur reading da vinci code read it for the fun of the way its been written...but d story's an utter disappointment at the end..as sis muslimah said...well i kinda understood dat he was playing on d mystery of the holy grail...but its got a disappointing end...trust me...chuk dat buk..go for the one i told you...it'll send the chills down ur spine...

Duhaa
04-21-2006, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva
i read the book its ok if u like reading that sorta thing... u no apparently dann brown was taken 2 court for stealing ideas from another book....

But the court ruled against the prosecuters and decided that he hadn't stole the ideas.
And I thought it was a great book, someone recommended it and I didnt think anything of it but then she kept going on about it so I started reading it........................and I was hooked. ;D

zee albino monk gave me nightmares for weeks....as when i read books my mind creates its own very graphic pictures
Sooo true. I was reading that bit at night when I first read it and I had to sleep with the covers over my head to keep myself 'safe'. ;D

ridaa_islam
04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
guys, those of you who did enjoy da vinci, trust me, DO go in for ANGELS & DEMONS... its fascinating...the ILLUMINATI will give u more dan nightmares...as will the bomb attack on the vatican, the heart of the christian world....

czgibson
04-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Greetings,

I'm sure there's been a thread about this before, but I can't find it right now.

EDIT: Here it is: davinci code

I enjoyed the book overall. I thought the plot was fast-paced and gripping, but the author's writing style was utterly terrible. So many cliches and cheesy moments, as well as that irritating habit he has of suddenly inserting the characters' thoughts into the text in italics.

Overall, though, a great read, and I'd recommend it to anyone - as long as they weren't expecting a work of literature...

ive seen worse sis...and if i do go and watch it...it will be purely for literary purposes...
Da Vinci Code? Literary? :?

(i do eng lit..grrrrr)
Lucky you! If you've got any questions about your course, feel free to ask them here.

...so never know it may come handy in my snoyptic paper...i dont how you spell snoyptic and i dont care...grrrr...:D:D:D
Synoptic. (You never know - you might decide to use it in your exam!)

Greetings ridaa islam,

format_quote Originally Posted by ridaa islam
the vatican, the heart of the christian world....
The Vatican is the centre of the world for Catholics, not all Christians.

Peace

NahidSarvy
04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
The Vatican is the centre of the world for Catholics, not all Christians.
The Vatican is the centre for Roman Catholics. There are many Catholic churches - Ukrainian, Greek, Greek Melkite, Maronite, Ruthenian Byzantine, Coptic Catholic, Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankara, Chaldean, Ethiopean, Eastern Orthodox Churches such as the Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox, the Assyrian Church of the East, the Anglicans, and some very small groups such as the Old Catholic Church, the Independent Catholic, the Ancient and Liberal Catholic Churches as well as the Lutherans.

In short, there are a lot of Catholics who aren't Roman Catholic.

czgibson
04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
The Vatican is the centre for Roman Catholics. There are many Catholic churches - Ukrainian, Greek, Greek Melkite, Maronite, Ruthenian Byzantine, Coptic Catholic, Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankara, Chaldean, Ethiopean, Eastern Orthodox Churches such as the Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox, the Assyrian Church of the East, the Anglicans, and some very small groups such as the Old Catholic Church, the Independent Catholic, the Ancient and Liberal Catholic Churches as well as the Lutherans.

In short, there are a lot of Catholics who aren't Roman Catholic.
True, but isn't the Vatican the centre of their faith too?

(Except for the Anglicans and Lutherans, who are Protestant.)

Peace

Muezzin
04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
You are so going to enjoy my horror stories. :p

NahidSarvy
04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
True, but isn't the Vatican the centre of their faith too?
Absolutely not.

Sister_6038
04-21-2006, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You are so going to enjoy my horror stories. :p
bring them bro...trust me ONLY my mummy's horror stories scare me...oh my gosh you shouldve seen me when i went back home...i came back a traumatised child....

czgibson
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Greetings,
Absolutely not.
Says who?

Type "Catholic" into wikipedia and you'll see what I mean.

Peace

NahidSarvy
04-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Says who? Type "Catholic" into wikipedia and you'll see what I mean.
  • My mother is Episcopalian. They are neither Protestant (as they maintain Catholic doctrines of the priesthood and the like that were rejected by the Protestant Reformation) nor do they care about the Vatican - the head of the Church is the Archbishop of Canterbury, which is in England. The Lutherans are a Protestant group that has inclined toward Catholic values; since the 1940s, the Anglicans and the Lutherans have accepted each other (ie. they are members of the "same sect").
  • The Coptics - a group that includes the Tewhado (= Tawhid) Eritrean and Ethiopian Churhces) do not look to Rome; in fact, their churches were raided by Roman Catholic armies in ancient times and the two groups held each other as heretics as the Coptics were viewed as "monophysites". In very recent history, the two groups - Coptics and Western Catholics have been working on normalising relations.
  • The entire Eastern Rite is defined as the group that rejects the Bishop of Rome as leader (Pope). Originally centred in Byzantium, they established independent centres elsewhere.
  • The extra churches, like the Syrian-Malabar and Syrian-Malankara, are Thomasine Churches that have come under the See of various Catholic groups, most recently Roman Catholics. Some remain with their own Thomasine rite.
In short, the Vatican might be nice, but it holds nothing more than treasures to most Catholic groups in the world because they don't recognise the politico-religious leadership of the Bishop of Rome, aka the Pope.

extinction
04-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Salaam

I was wondering if anyone has read the Book "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. I started reading this about 4 weeks ago and im hooked i aint finished yet soo no one PLEASE tell me the ending, but just wanted your general thoughts.

The Movie is also released in May 06 starring Tom Hanks!

Wait for your replies
I already watched the movie ...so how is it possible that its coming out may 2006?

czgibson
04-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Greetings NahidSarvy,

We're still tenuously related to the topic of the thread here, but perhaps we can resolve our little "Catholic dispute" soon.

[LIST][*]My mother is Episcopalian. They are neither Protestant (as they maintain Catholic doctrines of the priesthood and the like that were rejected by the Protestant Reformation) nor do they care about the Vatican - the head of the Church is the Archbishop of Canterbury, which is in England. The Lutherans are a Protestant group that has inclined toward Catholic values; since the 1940s, the Anglicans and the Lutherans have accepted each other (ie. they are members of the "same sect").
OK, but you didn't mention the Episcopalians in your original list of "other" Catholics. (Probably since they are essentially Protestant, as are the Lutherans.)
[*]The Coptics - a group that includes the Tewhado (= Tawhid) Eritrean and Ethiopian Churhces) do not look to Rome; in fact, their churches were raided by Roman Catholic armies in ancient times and the two groups held each other as heretics as the Coptics were viewed as "monophysites". In very recent history, the two groups - Coptics and Western Catholics have been working on normalising relations.
Right - and they are now in full communion with Rome.

[*]The entire Eastern Rite is defined as the group that rejects the Bishop of Rome as leader (Pope). Originally centred in Byzantium, they established independent centres elsewhere.
Do you mean the Eastern Catholic Churches, who are also in full communion with Rome?

[*]The extra churches, like the Syrian-Malabar and Syrian-Malankara, are Thomasine Churches that have come under the See of various Catholic groups, most recently Roman Catholics. Some remain with their own Thomasine rite.
I think we're agreeing with each other on this one...

In short, the Vatican might be nice, but it holds nothing more than treasures to most Catholic groups in the world because they don't recognise the politico-religious leadership of the Bishop of Rome, aka the Pope.
Who said the Vatican was nice?!

On the recognition of the Pope, (once again) please see here: Wikipedia entry: Catholic

Peace

Duhaa
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
I already watched the movie ...so how is it possible that its coming out may 2006?
That's because you live in America.

And in Britain it's coming out in May, this year.

NahidSarvy
04-22-2006, 12:55 PM
We're still tenuously related to the topic of the thread here, but perhaps we can resolve our little "Catholic dispute" soon.
Word.
OK, but you didn't mention the Episcopalians in your original list of "other" Catholics. (Probably since they are essentially Protestant, as are the Lutherans.)
No, no. They are the US' branch of the Anglicans.
Right - and they are now in full communion with Rome. Do you mean the Eastern Catholic Churches, who are also in full communion with Rome? I think we're agreeing with each other on this one...
No, no. This is confused because groups like the Coptic Churches (but not the Tewahado ones) agreed to mutually recognise baptisms with the Romans. In Islamic speak, it's saying, "We agree we do not call each other mushrikûn."

The See of Rome has been in the driver's seat as the home of the Daddy (Papa) of Western Europe, but Alexandria is the ancient See of St Mark, where the Coptic Pope lives. And this is true of other groups as well.
Who said the Vatican was nice?!
Haha, not me! He looks like the Emperor from Star Wars - and IMHO he acts like him, too.
On the recognition of the Pope, (once again) please see here: Wikipedia entry: Catholic
I've been using this source all along!

Muslim Soldier
04-22-2006, 03:17 PM
its agreat book, but it promotes pagan beliefs.
And well its very convincing

Bittersteel
04-22-2006, 03:24 PM
well the current Pope of the Catholic Church is better than a lot of people.

AhlaamBella
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I have read it. It was an ok book...just a load of rubbish. :D

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duhaa
That's because you live in America.

And in Britain it's coming out in May, this year.
aaah I see one more reason why I love this country.....

Muslimaatan
04-23-2006, 01:57 AM
salamz "hafizmo" i like ur site..but juss wonderin isnt it "harram" to call urself "moe" and not ur real name (unless itz ur real name?)

04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
yep, iread the book. and i'm sure most ppl here already knw tht i loved it ;)

i wasnt fortunate enuff to be able to see the trailor but i saw sum pics. dunno, i just dont like the idea of tom hanks as langdon. i mean... on one hand u have langdon, this professor type guy, whose teaching religeous history n stuff, who isnt tht much interested in women n stuff... n on the other hand u have, well, u have TOM HANKS!

butthe girl playing sophie, i sorta forgot the name of the actress, was one helluva tongue twister :P but anyway, SHE seems cool. n i got real disgusted wen i saw the picture of the scene where they show the curator's dead body.

but u knw who i found ab-so-LUTELY perfect forthe role? well... silas of course! he's exactly, exactly, EXACTLY how i imagined he'd look. n from wat i've seen i've come to the conclusion that he'll act it out phenomenally.

alright, i think i've rambled enuff, but i really want to go on! :D. don't worry though, i wont.

Sis786
04-24-2006, 08:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 08101990
yep, iread the book. and i'm sure most ppl here already knw tht i loved it ;)

i wasnt fortunate enuff to be able to see the trailor but i saw sum pics. dunno, i just dont like the idea of tom hanks as langdon. i mean... on one hand u have langdon, this professor type guy, whose teaching religeous history n stuff, who isnt tht much interested in women n stuff... n on the other hand u have, well, u have TOM HANKS!
I was thinking that too but then again in the trailers he does seem that he plays the part good. I mean Tom Hanks can play any role....

format_quote Originally Posted by 08101990
but u knw who i found ab-so-LUTELY perfect forthe role? well... silas of course! he's exactly, exactly, EXACTLY how i imagined he'd look. n from wat i've seen i've come to the conclusion that he'll act it out phenomenally.
Yeah oh man he does look ill and as if all the blood as been drain out of him, which it has! :rollseyes Anway also the charcter of Sir Teabign is being played by Ian McKellen hes a brill actor so cant wait for this...

Sis786
04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
aaah I see one more reason why I love this country.....
You seen the movie already..:rollseyes Wow man for one second just one second i wish i was in America

muzna
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
assalam..
i read it..i dont think dan brown is much of a writer in the literary aspect.
he's great at research though
riveting book

Muslim Soldier
04-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Dan Brown has got this writing style where at the last moment the character sounding good turns out to be the bad guy.

After reading Digital Fortress it was easy guessing the bad guy in his other books.

extinction
04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimaatan
salamz "hafizmo" i like ur site..but juss wonderin isnt it "harram" to call urself "moe" and not ur real name (unless itz ur real name?)
its actually mo and not moe...but I dont know if its haram or not....as far as I know nicknames are no big deal as long they arent portraying something bad and the person doesnt mind........

extinction
04-24-2006, 06:17 PM
You seen the movie already..:rollseyes Wow man for one second just one second i wish i was in America
click your heels three times and it might work?

Muslim Soldier
04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
well for clicking heels we need dorothy's shoes. You got them?

Sis786
04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
click your heels three times and it might work?
Ok *click* *click* *click* :rollseyes :offended:

Munda Pakistani
04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
:sl:

Okay, Angels & Demons, and/or dan Brown fans, can anyone answer the question I asked here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ter-islam.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it's bull. Brown tends to extrapolate many things he says about Catholicism to Islam without any proof.

Sis786
04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Munda Pakistani

Okay, Angels & Demons, and/or dan Brown fans, can anyone answer the question I asked here:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's bull. Brown tends to extrapolate many things he says about Catholicism to Islam without any proof.
I havnt read Angel and Demons But i know the Da Vinci Code is a load of bull its just a good read :X

MetSudaisTwice
04-25-2006, 11:56 AM
salam
havent read the book, but saw the preview of the film, looks interesting
wasalam

scentsofjannah
04-25-2006, 12:05 PM

My sister borrowed that book from a friend.Her friend apparently found it interesting, my sister didnt get to finish it because it was dead boring as she put it.I flipped through and i didnt find it interesting so didnt bother.:sister: :w:

ridaa_islam
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Munda Pakistani

but of course its bull...quite a few of these jerks among writers tend to do that...i read somethin similar that made my blood boil in a classic recently...it was the hunchback of notre dame by victor hugo, i think...yep...
these ppl think they know evrythin abt other religions...ignorant jerks...

ridaa_islam
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
those elements might hav been mentioned separately in the quran, like we have verses on the clouds, lightning n waves, but nowhere do we hav anything ti indicate dat dey're the basic elemnets etc.
that's the beauty of the Qur'an...we have the subtlest of hints about aspects of our life n universe...there's not alot mentioned with intricate detail for ppl like these to pick fault with and challenge....SUBHANALLAH
and Alhamdulillah for the Qur'an. :)

Muslimaatan
04-26-2006, 03:26 AM
its actually mo and not moe...but I dont know if its haram or not....as far as I know nicknames are no big deal as long they arent portraying something bad and the person doesnt mind........
ohh iight..juss askin cuz few weeks ago da sheikh in my skool gave a BIIIIIIIIIG khutbah bout this "nickname" topic...a lot of ppl have nicknames (i have 1 too!) lolzz...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.