/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Maths/Physics

seeker_of_ilm
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Anyone else here study A/AS level maths or physics?

Do you also find them really tedious, repetitive subjects, that aren't accurate measures of ability, rather measure how much you've practiced?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
04-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I do A Level Maths - Kinda hard, kinda boring.

sabreen
04-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey, yeah i do both! i luv maths and physics (should b in past tense)- this year (As) findin them difficult- how about u? when ar ur exams?

------
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh. My. Allah. I hate both the subjects, and I'm only doing maths.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
seeker_of_ilm
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
My exams start halfway through May. I got C1, C2, M1 for maths...and Mechanics Radioactivity, Electricity and thermal physics, and Medical Physics....as well as the practical exam

------
04-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I have C1 resit on the same day as C2 :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated: :heated:

seeker_of_ilm
04-23-2006, 05:10 PM
^ Ditto.........I got a C in C1.....so I gotta retake it, what about you?

Its gonna be tiring...two maths exams straight away

Starseeker
04-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I dont want to do either of the subjects. Their just too hard for me.
I want to do biology Chemistry, Geography and English Lit/Lang. But i might change my mind derpending on my GCSE grades Inshallah i will do well!

Sister_6038
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
im doin maths c3 and c4 on same day and im doing c2 again and d2 again...maths maths i shouldnt have messed about...oh well learnt my lesson....oh gosh though i hate radians....grrrr...love algebra....partial fractions are top....also am loving erm erm differentation and intergration...i love maths but hate it too...

------
04-23-2006, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
^ Ditto.........I got a C in C1.....so I gotta retake it, what about you?

Its gonna be tiring...two maths exams straight away
I would be jumping with joy if I even got an E.... :'(

seeker_of_ilm
04-23-2006, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
im doin maths c3 and c4 on same day and im doing c2 again and d2 again...maths maths i shouldnt have messed about...oh well learnt my lesson....oh gosh though i hate radians....grrrr...love algebra....partial fractions are top....also am loving erm erm differentation and intergration...i love maths but hate it too...

Join the club......those darned Radians, I despise them. I enjoy sequences and factorising...especially long division in Algebra. I don't like any of the graph work or anything

Sister_6038
04-23-2006, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Kuri
I would be jumping with joy if I even got an E.... :'(
sis its all about practice im not even joking..in high school i went into my maths exam with NO revision because i spent two months beforehand practising on old papers and it got me an A alhamdulilah....just practice...if you need any help...i'll help you....understanding it is easy...but linking it to a question is sometimes a challenge specially on the big questions....its cool....sometimes

Sister_6038
04-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Join the club......those darned Radians, I despise them. I enjoy sequences and factorising...especially long division in Algebra. I don't like any of the graph work or anything
bro youre exactly like me i HATE graphs..grrr...i will tell you now invest in a graphical calculator they are the BEST!!! yeh i love long division...maths makes my head dizzy like i will just launch into the question make loads of mistakes check my answer go back to it and make sure ive done it right....its great....sometimes...factorising yep i love...though i hate sequences grrr...

seeker_of_ilm
04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
bro youre exactly like me i HATE graphs..grrr...i will tell you now invest in a graphical calculator they are the BEST!!! yeh i love long division...maths makes my head dizzy like i will just launch into the question make loads of mistakes check my answer go back to it and make sure ive done it right....its great....sometimes...factorising yep i love...though i hate sequences grrr...
How much harder does C3 and C4 get? Compared to the AS year?

And sequences.......they are real easy, and they're not mind blowing

Sister_6038
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
How much harder does C3 and C4 get? Compared to the AS year?

And sequences.......they are real easy, and they're not mind blowing
lemme tell you c3 and c4 are solid so make sure you do well in the other module that you do....but its not too bad as theres lots more integration and differentation...just keep at it and practise looooads...:D:D:D

mohakem
04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
As salamu alikum

I do both and i agree, particularly the Physics Practical. The amount of time given is so minimal its more of a "who can write and read fastest test" rather than a test of understanding.

Out of all of the maths modules ive done i really, really, really... disliked... S1. :vomit:

M1 was quite interesting, C4 is the hardest of the bunch.

I advise (it helps a lot myself ...) to spend the last 3-4 weeks doing as many past paper questions as possible. Make sure you've got model answers, and it really really can boost your exam grade. A lot of questions are quite repetitive. :brother:

Wa alikum salam

seeker_of_ilm
04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
:sl:

Physics practical....don't remind me...I got it on May 16th or 17th. My physics teacher told me that it traditionally has a very high pass rate.

And also the maths practice questions thing...I'll try that Inshallah

Muslimaatan
04-26-2006, 03:21 AM
heeyyyyyyyyyy!! we talkin about math here!! OMG..I looooooooooove MATH!! all my class HATES it!! i dunno y i like it, or LOVE IT..i was born 2 love it!! i dunno im just alwayz soo interested 2 sole problems, and when i KNOW how 2 do it, it feels sooooooooo GOOD..im like alwayz gettin 100z in math!! itz da easiest subject!! riite now we reviewin 4 math B..i already took the regents..it was easy!! almost every1 failed though!! math rocks!! (don care wat u think!!) loolzz..:-D

Hussein radi
04-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Lol it is almost May now and the only class i am failing is Alegbra 3-4. Man it is so hard and confusing. Something with Sin,cos,tan,cot.

alitheislamian
04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
Lol it is almost May now and the only class i am failing is Alegbra 3-4. Man it is so hard and confusing. Something with Sin,cos,tan,cot.
Maths and physics r the eaziest subjects for me and I love them.
Trignometry and algebra r also eazy brother. Try to understand them .once u understand the basic the rest is eazy. May Allah help u.
:w:

muzna
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
what does the C stand for..when i was doing AL we had just pure maths, mechanics and statistics..i loved P1 and P2, and M1-3...and A2 physics was lots of fun..loved it..(nostalgic.)

Sister_6038
04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
what does the C stand for..when i was doing AL we had just pure maths, mechanics and statistics..i loved P1 and P2, and M1-3...and A2 physics was lots of fun..loved it..(nostalgic.)
c is just core its the main modules for maths

seeker_of_ilm
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM

Had maths today, we were covering Circles......they are too easy. Its very basic stuff

Sister_6038
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Had maths today, we were covering Circles......they are too easy. Its very basic stuff
ive forgotten almost about circles...erm its all about pi i guess we did it in maths for core 3 as part of the volume section...grr i hate radians!! havent you finished your modules yet?

seeker_of_ilm
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
ive forgotten almost about circles...erm its all about pi i guess we did it in maths for core 3 as part of the volume section...grr i hate radians!! havent you finished your modules yet?
No it wasn't the radian bit....I hate the radians...it was the thing where you work out co-ordinates of the centre of the circle and stuff

Yeah we haven't finished our modules yet, we still gotta finish Circles, and then a bit about sequences

Sister_6038
04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
No it wasn't the radian bit....I hate the radians...it was the thing where you work out co-ordinates of the centre of the circle and stuff

Yeah we haven't finished our modules yet, we still gotta finish Circles, and then a bit about sequences
cool...gosh im having to revise all this for my c2 resit..inshaAllah hope i can manage it all....oh yeh i got erm well not as well i was expecting...erm didnt get a D or below in my AS....lololol i got a C shouldve revised more...my bad

seeker_of_ilm
04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
cool...gosh im having to revise all this for my c2 resit..inshaAllah hope i can manage it all....oh yeh i got erm well not as well i was expecting...erm didnt get a D or below in my AS....lololol i got a C shouldve revised more...my bad

C2 Resits should be easy for you....as you have covered C3 and C4 now. 'Cos I'm finding C1 work a piece of cake now that I've done C2. The only thing in maths I'll really have to revise for is my M1 module......especially vectors :hiding:

Seems like I'm going to have to do a lot of past papers in the next few weeks.....

seeker_of_ilm
04-26-2006, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What I found with A-level maths is that in order to do well in exams ALL you need to do is PRACTICE, and I don't mean the exercises from books etc, but the real deal, the past papers...trust me you will notice a pattern in the style of questions that are asked.
Yeah I realise that now, I didn't do any revision for C1 module, or any past papers...but I still got a C (1 mark off a B) but I am sure if I did past papers, I would have done a lot better. Well I've learnt from my mistake.

Does anybody else get given the solomon press practice papers? They are waaay harder then the exam board papers

mbaig
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
A'salaam alaykum ,

I find both Maths and Physics boring. I love chemistry.

Sister_6038
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
C2 Resits should be easy for you....as you have covered C3 and C4 now. 'Cos I'm finding C1 work a piece of cake now that I've done C2. The only thing in maths I'll really have to revise for is my M1 module......especially vectors :hiding:

Seems like I'm going to have to do a lot of past papers in the next few weeks.....
yeh kinda but theres part of c2 ive forgotten erm vectors are cool i didnt do mechanics did decision so much more easier bro

Muslimaatan
04-27-2006, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
yeaaaaaaaah!! i hated this topic!! but u just gotta read about it, and do examples..it will become easy...Inshaa'Allah!

Hamba Allah
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I take additional maths and physics at school. But my results are always bad and I mean real bad. I never really understood Add Maths. As for physics, I say even though if you don't like it, you must like it because if you don't listen to what your teacher says then you'll definitely won't learn anything.

seeker_of_ilm
04-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Well I've decided I'll start revision for Maths and Physics tomorrow. What is the best way to revise for them? Just past papers?

Hamba Allah
04-29-2006, 07:35 AM
For maths, you have to do a lot of practise and I mean a lot. At least 10 questions a day. Yes going through past papers is a good idea considering every year the same question comes out but they just change the numbers ofcourse.

muzna
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
i wish i could do AL again...:(

------
04-29-2006, 03:30 PM
[BANANA]My name is Kela and I hate Maths even tho I'm doing it in AS Level.[/BANANA]

P.S. Kela is banana in Urdu :p

Hijaabi22
04-30-2006, 12:34 PM

Do you also find them really tedious, repetitive subjects, that aren't accurate measures of ability, rather measure how much you've practiced?
i dropped outta maths cos it was borin and so damn haaaaaaard

------
04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
[S]Yh man i agree totally with u but gta finish it now init - nt gna take it nxt year tho in colij[/S]

Hijaabi22
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
[BANANA]wat else u studyin besides maths[/BANANA]

Allahs_slave
05-01-2006, 11:18 AM

im doin computer engineering .. you wouldn't appreciate physics nd math unless u study engineering.. u'd find urself using them in almost everytnig you take

i like physics more tho, its more fun than math

lolwatever
05-06-2006, 04:45 AM
math is fun, you just gotta master your basics and all should be fine
one tip.. if ur in the middle of a chapter and ur lost.. you will never understand it... if and only if you start from the very beginning and work your way up again

math is one of those subjects... every info that preceeds the one before it is critical to understand what follows it...

seeker_of_ilm
05-10-2006, 07:23 PM

Got a Physics Mock Exam tomorrow. Medical Physics. Not revised yet, inshallah get half an hour done in the morning before I head off.

Anyone else do Medical Physics option? Any tips?

lolwatever
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
so you do IB? coz med physics is an option in IB..
if so, then my advise is stick closely to the syllabus, dont learn fluff, follow the syllabus objective by objective and form summaries based on that

so for xample take objective H.2.1 and write a summary about that objective, and make u understand its requirements fully and entirely... IB study guides are extremely helpful, get your hand on te IBOSC study guide (Oxford Press)..
all the best

seeker_of_ilm
05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
so you do IB? coz med physics is an option in IB..
if so, then my advise is stick closely to the syllabus, dont learn fluff, gollow the syllabus objective by objective and form summaries based on that

so for xample take objective H.2.1 and write a summary about that objective, and make u understand its requirements fully and entirely... IB study guides are extremely helpful, get your hand on te IBOSC study guide (Oxford Press)..
all the best

Nope, I'm not doing IB. I'm doing AS Physics, and Medical Physics is an option module.

seeker_of_ilm
05-15-2006, 03:46 PM

I got my Physics Practical Exam tomorrow morning at 8.30! I don't even have a ruler...or a pencil for that matter...better go out and get them :s .

Make dua that it goes well inshallah.

lolwatever
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
lol ur hilarious what where u doing all semester lol

------
05-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Insha'Allah

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
lol ur hilarious what where u doing all semester lol

I mainly just used a pen.......and anything straight for a ruler.....and if all else failed...I borrowed. Its just the fact that I lost everything

05-16-2006, 02:32 PM

I got my Physics Practical Exam tomorrow morning at 8.30! I don't even have a ruler...or a pencil for that matter...better go out and get them :s .

lolz:giggling: Better get organised brother. I'm doing C1, C2 and M1 for maths. As for physics, it's not related to anything i want to do.:)

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
lolz:giggling: Better get organised brother. I'm doing C1, C2 and M1 for maths. As for physics, it's not related to anything i want to do.:)

I'm also doing C1, C2 and M1....How are you finding them?

05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm also doing C1, C2 and M1....How are you finding them?
I love maths and i find it really interesting, however i've got lots 2 catch up with coz i went on holiday. Otherwise it's fine. I'm repeating C1 from jan coz i didn't revise at all and i got a C (plus it was eid!)

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
I love maths and i find it really interesting, however i've got lots 2 catch up with coz i went on holiday. Otherwise it's fine. I'm repeating C1 from jan coz i didn't revise at all and i got a C (plus it was eid!)

I'm also taking C1 again...and I also got a C the first time round. Which was quite good...considering...I missed 2 weeks, didn't revise or do any homework.

But now C1 is looking easier now that we've been through C2 stuff

Khoza
05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Im doing A2 maths, phys and chem.
I have to say that maths is the most enjoyable plus you needs some good maths for parts of A level physics. Ooo that reminds me i got c1 resit on monday with the first years.

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khoza
Im doing A2 maths, phys and chem.
I have to say that maths is the most enjoyable plus you needs some good maths for parts of A level physics. Ooo that reminds me i got c1 resit on monday with the first years.

I heard C4 is way harder. And what did you get for AS...just out of interest

Muslimaatan
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM
i took a haaaaaaaaaaaard math test 2day!! woow..it was soo long!! n I HATE MULTIPLE CHOICE IN MATH!! i like showin work!! all da answerz were like so similar..i knew the answer for most of them..BUT I HATE MULTIPLE CHOICE! made me feel like im takin a guess test..and he took my paper first..cuz i kept on talkin n talkin n commentin..loolzz :-D

Khoza
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM

I heard C4 is way harder. And what did you get for AS...just out of interest
I got AAABC for AS maths, chem, phys, bio and punjabi.
I got 84/100 for C1 last yr in jan and now im repeating it so tht i can slack abit more on my A2's

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I got AAABC for AS maths, chem, phys, bio and punjabi.
I got 84/100 for C1 last yr in jan and now im repeating it so tht i can slack abit more on my A2's
Wow well done, you got some good grades. What are you going to study at University?

Oh...and any tips for me for Maths/Physics?

786rani
05-16-2006, 09:20 PM
i worked so bloody hard and got such a low score...cnt believe it!!!!
rani

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
i worked so bloody hard and got such a low score...cnt believe it!!!!
rani

For what?

Khoza
05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Wow well done, you got some good grades. What are you going to study at University?

Oh...and any tips for me for Maths/Physics?
Thanks im going to go to manu uni to study maths!!!!!!!
Maths is just practise therefore do loadz of q's and same for physics, but past papers are the best way of learning do tonnes of these. Read over your notes and test yourself continually. And last but not least prayer to Allah with a pure heart that he'll give you the motivation to succeed.:thumbs_up
Speaking of revising i better get off soon. Good luck

seeker_of_ilm
05-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Maths is just practise therefore do loadz of q's and same for physics, but past papers are the best way of learning do tonnes of these. Read over your notes and test yourself continually. And last but not least prayer to Allah with a pure heart that he'll give you the motivation to succeed.:thumbs_up

Yeah....revising....thanks for reminding me...I knew I forgot to do something today!

Anyway, hope your exams go well.

lolwatever
11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
good lucky but why would ne1 wanna do straight math at uni :uuh: wats the result of it?

Khoza
11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
good lucky but why would ne1 wanna do straight math at uni :uuh: wats the result of it?
Well my parents wanted me to do medicine but i wanted to do something i enjoy and i enjoy maths but now at uni that is debatable:giggling: , maths degree can lead to a range of careers from banking to computing etc and it provides one with a whole range of skills since its not some easy subject.

lolwatever
11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Well my parents wanted me to do medicine but i wanted to do something i enjoy and i enjoy maths but now at uni that is debatable:giggling: , maths degree can lead to a range of careers from banking to computing etc and it provides one with a whole range of skills since its not some easy subject.
interesting all the best :D the worst of all math majors is statistics :vomit:

i guess its important ppl do what they like coz they're more likely to b successful in it inshalah.

take care all the best!

limitless
11-18-2006, 05:59 PM

you guys heard or is their such thing as Discreate geometric math University level in Britain?

11-18-2006, 06:15 PM
dunno :?

Ameeratul Layl
11-19-2006, 04:47 PM

I study Physics and mathematics. I am a second year Physics student and a first year mathematics student. My knowledge of mathematics at GCSE Standard was a Grade C, but considering you put alot of effort into the work. You should be fine! inshAllah!
Physics on the other hand, is fantastic! I study Biology and Chemistry too...and I would not change my courses! *Especially Physics and Mathematics*

lolwatever
11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
bio +o(

chem :thumbs_up :bravo:

learningislam
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
:salamext:

bio +o(

chem :thumbs_up :bravo:
noo...both are superb. I love both.

:wasalamex

Ameeratul Layl
11-20-2006, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam
:salamext:

noo...both are superb. I love both.

:wasalamex
I kind of agree with lolwateva...I decided to do AS Bio in my A2 Year and skip A2. I prefer Chemistry and Physics as A2s. Infact, I find that biology is MUCH difficult than Physics. :muddlehea

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.