/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sport and fitness (sisters)

glo
04-25-2006, 06:08 AM
A question for my Muslim sisters:

I don't seem to see Muslim women engage in sports or fitness - except for a few in the 'ladies only' gym I used to be a member of.

Can I ask if it is really uncommon, or do I just not see Muslim women because they don't do it publicly?
Or is sport frown upon? Or not considerd important?

Come on, sisters, educate me! :)

glo

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
extinction
04-25-2006, 07:51 AM
as a brother that goes to the gym I must say islam doesnt frown upon sports at all or even staying physically fit..however many sisters are restricted due to lack of facilities I guess?? im alongside you waiting for the reasons also

Umu 'Isa
04-25-2006, 07:54 AM
its encouraged for sisters to exercise and keep fit.. its just not very comfortable for sisters to exercise in public wearing her hijab/abayah ect.

extinction
04-25-2006, 07:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ladee_Maryam
its encouraged for sisters to exercise and keep fit.. its just not very comfortable for sisters to exercise in public wearing her hijab/abayah ect.
but a ladies only gym?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
..however many sisters are restricted due to lack of facilities I guess?? im alongside you waiting for the reasons also
I wonder if that's the case.

I think the beforementioned 'ladies only' gym was a great opportunity to enable Muslim women to attend without fear of behaving inappropriately!

glo

Umu 'Isa
04-25-2006, 07:57 AM
yeah ladies only gym is ok coz she doesnt have 2 wear her hijab n stuff infront of women

glo
04-25-2006, 07:58 AM
but a ladies only gym?
The women I came across in the female only gym did not wear any hijab/abayah ect. during exercise.
Couldn't that be dangerous on apparatus such as treadmill and exercise bike??? :rollseyes

glo

Umu 'Isa
04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
its fine to exercise in women only gym! im a member of one, and i know many sisters that are. Theres nothing wrong with it. She just has to be sure men wont enter at any time.
Like i said, its encouraged for women to keep fit and healthy for herself and for her husband, family ect.

extinction
04-25-2006, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
The women I came across in the female only gym did not wear any hijab/abayah ect. during exercise.
Couldn't that be dangerous on apparatus such as treadmill and exercise bike??? :rollseyes

glo
yes duh i was suggesting to ladee maryam...when I said lack of facilites i meant like i havent seen alot of women only gyms over here in orlando and we have a huge city!!

Qurratul Ayn
04-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Hello

I ussually do my fitness at home because as I am the eldest now since my elder Brother got married and moved to a another house to live with his family (wife and 4 children!) and we all do sit-ups everyday and play many games and sports.

I've never been to a gym or any other women only gyms or sessions so I don't know.

Assalamu Alaikum
Shakirah

P.S. Or maybe they do it at home like me!

meknesi
04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
does anyone know of any gyms for sisters only in the west london area?

Sister_6038
04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
the most exercise i do is walk...i try to walk everywhere i can...also at work i lift things lolol....albeit really light stuff...but i mean my house has two really long flight of stairs and i dont have the common sense to fully pack my bag so im always rushing up them like about four or five times and thats just in the morning before i leave for college :D:D...same for college...i like to keep active...im too lazy to go gym but im always walking about the place in a daze.....plus my friends are too lazy to come to basketball games and stuff with me...but the one thing that keeps me super duper fit...well in comparsion to my friends is my nephews...theyre always running around the place and i have to chase after them...cant wait til summer starts PROPERLY.....then the fun HALAL fun of course may begin lOLOLOLOL.....ive lost the plot....although i dont think i had it to begin with....hmmmm *wanders off to find the PLOT*

Umm Yoosuf
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Ah it would be really good if we could take this to the sisters section :p....

It's important in Islam that one takes good care of their bodies, and regularly excises etc

Personally i don't like going to some gymes....all you see is naked women. We are surpposed to cover our 'awrah! Espically swimming....eeewww....subhnallah you have to go there with your eyes closed!

amirah_87
04-25-2006, 12:23 PM
salaams,

does anyone know of any karate classess for sisters ???
i heard that theres one down at whitechapel (east london) but i don't know exactly where ???

anyways i agree with you guys keepin' fit is really important ..... the amount of junk us youth have nowadays is ridicuolous............

wassalaaam

Rabi'ya
04-25-2006, 12:26 PM
:sl:

there are many gyms and womens only classes which are really good for sisters. the only thing that i would be aware of would be if boyfriends/husbands of other users came to pick up their partners from the gym. OR more importantly, the CCTV, and if the other women(non-muslim) would go home to their husbands and say "oh i saw this really pretty girl at the gym today she had so and so hair and shes really fit etc" then the next time the guy might have an idea in his head of that sister....

anyway, maybe im opver reactive, but u can never be too careful....i go joggin in my abaya sometimes:P lol and ive been swimming in the sea in full hijab!! lol

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

MetSudaisTwice
04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
salam
if this is for sisters only maybe it should be moved to the sisters section inshallah
wasalam

Rabi'ya
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
bro, the non-muslim women do not have access to the sisters section...i dont see a problem with it being here unless its in detail....

if the brothers dont wanna read it then they can keep out...

im sure the sisters wont post anything personal in the public forums.... if they wanna do that they can email or take it to PM's

MetSudaisTwice
04-25-2006, 12:32 PM
salam
that is true sis, sorry, i didnt think of that
wasalam

Halima
04-25-2006, 12:34 PM

I think this topic should remain here so others can learn. Let them have the opportunity to read/ understand.

S_87
04-25-2006, 12:34 PM

we do exercise. muslim women take care of their body just as much as any other woman. we are no different :)

there are hadiths that report the Prophet Muhammed Peace and blessings be upon him racing with his wife Aisha may Allah be pleased with her.

besides from that muslim women actually do jog or cycle in streets/ parks etc.
or some sisters might have mini gyms in their homes :okay:

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

there are many gyms and womens only classes which are really good for sisters. the only thing that i would be aware of would be if boyfriends/husbands of other users came to pick up their partners from the gym. OR more importantly, the CCTV, and if the other women(non-muslim) would go home to their husbands and say "oh i saw this really pretty girl at the gym today she had so and so hair and shes really fit etc" then the next time the guy might have an idea in his head of that sister....

anyway, maybe im opver reactive, but u can never be too careful....i go joggin in my abaya sometimes:P lol and ive been swimming in the sea in full hijab!! lol

LOOOL THAT WOULD LOOK SO FUNNY!
Next time can i come along with my jilbab?:giggling:

Halima
04-25-2006, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

there are hadiths that report the Prophet Muhammed Peace and blessings be upon him racing with his wife Aisha may Allah be pleased with her.
I have read of this hadith before. I have tried looking for it but I forgot where it was. Can you provide this for us if you can find it? This is a perfect example of a perfect physical fitness especially with your own spouse. In the hadith just like you mentioned, the Prophet (saw) has raced with Aishah and there is another hadith that I found that said he did the house chores for her.

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah i heard that too, i think it's cute:giggling:.

Umm Yoosuf
04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Title:
Women and Sports

Question:

My question is can women take place in sports accroding to Islam?? If yes then to what extent. My main consideration is the recent Marathon Race. Mullahs says it is against islam but i have heard that Hazrat Aisha(RA) raced with Prophet(PBUH) and also the Sahaba(RA) watched them racing. Is it correct?? If it is correct then plz 1- Give me the reference of those rawayaat(traditions) where it is reported that Hazrat Aisha(RA) and Rasool(PBUH) took part in the race. 2- And also tell me is there any evidence that Sahabas also watched them racing. 3- Is there any mention in the traditions about the clothes of Hazrat Aisha(RA) while racing or any other information about those races.

Answer:

Women can indeed partake in sports. The "extent" is regulated by the modesty that Islam prescribes. Hence any activity that is participated in by any Muslim, man or woman, should observe the etiquette of appropriate self-presentation and behavior. If the aforementioned is maintained while performing athletics then it would not be correct to give a judgment that it is prohibited by the Shari'ah (Islamic Law). As it regards the hadith (i.e. tradition) you have mentioned it is found in the more popular books of ahadith of Musnad Ibn Dawood:

Narrated by Aisha

While she was on a journey along with the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him): I had a race with him (the Prophet) and I outstripped him on my feet. When I became fleshy, (again) I had a race with him (the Prophet) and he outstripped me. He said: This is for that outstripping. Sunan Abu Dawood - Book 14, Number 2572 The rest of your answers are as follows:

Above is the narration and its reference.

There is no indication, from this hadith, if there was an audience or not.

Mention of the clothing is not made in the hadith.

As should be clear one should not accept the opinion that women cannot participate in sports unless a valid reason based on the Shari'ah (i.e. Islamic Law) is given, thus, the said religious opinion is incorrect.

I hope I have clarified the issue.

God knows best.

Ronnie Hassan
May 6, 2005

http://www.understanding-islam.com/r...stion&qid=3368

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/n...service_id=235

Halima
04-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I found it subhanallah. I just read it over and over again ...lol

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
yeah i heard that too, i think it's cute:giggling:.

• The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) occupied himself at his home like a common man. As 'Aisha relates, he used to clean his clothes, milch the sheep and himself do his odd jobs. She also says that he would mend his clothes, repair his shoes and do similar other works. When asked how the Prophet (peace be upon him) occupied himself at home, she replied, "He used to keep himself busy in household chores and went out when the time for prayer came."

• In another report related on her authority, she is reported to have said, "The Prophet of God (peace be upon him) used to repair his shoes, mend his clothes and occupied himself at home even as any of you occupy yourself." 'Aisha relates, "God's Messenger (peace be upon him) was very softhearted, the kindliest of all. He laughed often and smiled much." Anas says that he had not seen a man who was more clement and nice to his household members than the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him)." It is related on the authority of 'Aisha that the Prophetsaid, "The best of you is one who is most nice to his wife and children and I am the nicest among you." Abu Huraira said that the Prophet (peace be upon him) never expressed disapproval of any food, if he desired he ate it, and if he disliked he left it alone."

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-25-2006, 12:51 PM
SUBHAN-ALLAH.... THE PERFECT HUSBAND!!!!
:'(

glo
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Ah it would be really good if we could take this to the sisters section :p....
I would have started this thread in the Sisters Only folder, but I don't as yet have access to it. :rollseyes

Espically swimming....eeewww....subhnallah you have to go there with your eyes closed!
So do you never go swimming???

glo

glo
04-25-2006, 04:10 PM
bro, the non-muslim women do not have access to the sisters section...
I didn't realise that!!
I was rather looking forward to hanging out with other women in the Sisters Only section. :confused: :mad:

You are not trying to get me to convert??? :okay:

glo

glo
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
besides from that muslim women actually do jog or cycle in streets/ parks etc.
:okay:
I'd love to go jogging or cycling with some Muslim sisters! :)

glo

seeker_of_ilm
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM

I've seen women with Niqaabs, jogging in the local park, playing badminton with their husbands, and just things like that...

So in my area, you see it quite a bit...not always, but it can be seen

S_87
04-25-2006, 05:41 PM

glo
:lol: be a cool idea

oh i never go swimming either. ive been before but swimming pools are so dirty :-\ you know? last time i went swimming was last year summer:statisfie

Protected_Diamond
04-25-2006, 07:36 PM
[/B]
A question for my Muslim sisters:

I don't seem to see Muslim women engage in sports or fitness - except for a few in the 'ladies only' gym I used to be a member of.

Can I ask if it is really uncommon, or do I just not see Muslim women because they don't do it publicly?
Or is sport frown upon? Or not considerd important?

Come on, sisters, educate me! :)

glo
Hello glo, hows it going? well i've recently signed up with a gym and yes indeed it is a ladies only gym. A woman must always ensure she covers herself and doesn't wear any tight clothing and therefore going to a gym where there will be boys and girls is unsuitable and you committing a sin. If anything Islam encourages you to be active and felxible in all ways

Peace!

glo
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
:lol: be a cool idea
Yeah! :) ... except I live in England and you live on Mars ... we'll never meet up! :-\

oh i never go swimming either. ive been before but swimming pools are so dirty :-\ you know? last time i went swimming was last year summer:statisfie
Where do you go swimming, if not in a pool?
(And here I thought there was no water on Mars. ;D

glo :)

Kittygyal
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
hi as you know i am a revert and i go a jym everyday but mixed genders tho and to be honest i see men and asian women there too but not that many as christians tho

(well as i am not well at mo i can't go and i miss it)

take care

glo
04-25-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninjaress
[/B]

Hello glo, hows it going? well i've recently signed up with a gym and yes indeed it is a ladies only gym. A woman must always ensure she covers herself and doesn't wear any tight clothing and therefore going to a gym where there will be boys and girls is unsuitable and you committing a sin. If anything Islam encourages you to be active and felxible in all ways

Peace!
Although I am not governed by the same restrictions as you are in terms of dress code and conduct in relation to men, I agree that it is much more relaxing to exercise in a female only environment!

I hope you are enjoying the gym.
I was given a membership last year, when a friend of mine moved back to the US. I loved going, but when the year was up and I needed to renew the membership, it seemed too expensive - so I let it lapse.

But I like running, walking and jogging, which I can do outside just the same - and it's more fun in the fresh air (... until it starts raining, that is!) ;D

glo

ummAbdillah
04-25-2006, 07:45 PM
lol swimming with jilbab
manshallah! :)

ummAbdillah
04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
But I like running, walking and jogging, which I can do outside just the same - and it's more fun in the fresh air (... until it starts raining, that is!)
lol british weather :)

glo
04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lovly_lady
lol british weather :)
Yep! ;D
You know then ...

glo

ummAbdillah
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
yh :D i live in london
it was raining on sunday :( i wanted to go out for a walk lol

Kittygyal
04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lovly_lady
it was raining on sunday :( i wanted to go out for a walk lol

aw bless sis it's not raining aday :)

Sister_6038
04-25-2006, 08:59 PM
i went on this indoor bike thingy my moma brought and WHOOOOOOOA theres a fault on it i tell you!!!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
I often see big gangs or asian ladies walking in the night with their trainers on in my local area....:muddlehea :muddlehea

we need 2 unite
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
asalumu alaykum
does anyone know of any ladies only gym in the west london area, i have always wanted 2 join. i jus do some exercies at hme, but is nice to go a ladies only gym, and probably meet other sisters inshallah.
walaykum wasalam

simply4allah
04-25-2006, 11:15 PM
i have my own exercise equipment

Muslimaatan
04-26-2006, 01:58 AM

glo
werddddddd..joggin is maaaaaaaaaaddd fun!!! AND SWIMMING IS NUMBER 1!!!!!!!! I LOVE SWIMMING!! it's the best!! and basket ball is FUN!! i like volley ball tooooo!! its da best sometimes!! and RACING!! i learned howda run fast this year! it just came 2 me..n my gym teacher is teachin us karater..lolzz..i suck at it..but it looks soo cool..but she almost broke my back last time she demonstrated a move on ME 2 every1!! lolzz.. i like soo many things..dunno where 2 start..but swimmin is number 1 though!! :-D

glo
04-26-2006, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimaatan
werddddddd..joggin is maaaaaaaaaaddd fun!!! AND SWIMMING IS NUMBER 1!!!!!!!! I LOVE SWIMMING!! it's the best!! and basket ball is FUN!! i like volley ball tooooo!! its da best sometimes!! and RACING!! i learned howda run fast this year! it just came 2 me..n my gym teacher is teachin us karater..lolzz..i suck at it..but it looks soo cool..but she almost broke my back last time she demonstrated a move on ME 2 every1!! lolzz.. i like soo many things..dunno where 2 start..but swimmin is number 1 though!! :-D
WOW!
You sound like you really like sports!! ;D

Sister_6038
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
basketball..hockey...football..cricket...baseball. .rounders...oh yep tennis...biking...walking...= yes yes....swimmming = no..one word one reason = disturbing...i say no more...p.s i love sports could spend all my days doing it...i wanna go to extreme sports lool...yeh right i would break every bone in my body.....

S_87
04-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah! :) ... except I live in England and you live on Mars ... we'll never meet up! :-\

Where do you go swimming, if not in a pool?
(And here I thought there was no water on Mars. ;D

glo :)

:lol: im *currently* in england but i dont go jogging though :D
if i must swim its summer on a quiet beach. last year i went away for 6 weeks so i had enough beach to swim in :statisfie

sutff like pilates and yoga is common these days so a lot of people may be indulged in them kinda stuff
(and there is water on mars, just dont tell no one :okay: )

glo
04-26-2006, 12:02 PM

:lol: im *currently* in england but i dont go jogging though :D
if i must swim its summer on a quiet beach. last year i went away for 6 weeks so i had enough beach to swim in :statisfie

sutff like pilates and yoga is common these days so a lot of people may be indulged in them kinda stuff
(and there is water on mars, just dont tell no one :okay: )
;D

How long are going to be in England for?

Shukria
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by meknesi
does anyone know of any gyms for sisters only in the west london area?
Fitness First sometimes have another room for women...Ladbroke grove has a day for women only and Fitness First in Acton have a women's section...

IbnAbdulHakim
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
is sports really required? im sure the prophet saws was very fit Alhamdullilah wivout playin much sports. Isnt it better to train for jihad fi-sabillilah by like swiming/wrestling etc?

jus tryin 2 find what the best thing to do is :)

Umm Yoosuf
04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I would have started this thread in the Sisters Only folder, but I don't as yet have access to it. :rollseyes

So do you never go swimming???

glo
Hi glo

:rollseyes I never said i never have been to swimming. I just don't intend to go as yet unless i find a decent place which meets the islamic requirements.

we need 2 unite
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Fitness First sometimes have another room for women...Ladbroke grove has a day for women only and Fitness First in Acton have a women's section...
jazakallah khairun sis thnks 4 lettin me know.

Rabi'ya
04-26-2006, 04:35 PM

some of u are real lucky to have women only swimmnig sessions. I love swimming. I wish i could go. last time i went was in the sea and i miss it so much.

glo
04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I wish i could go. last time i went was in the sea and i miss it so much.

I the Irish sea?? That's so cold!

*noor
04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Muslims are encouraged to stay fit. This goes for both men and women. I love to work out and many of my friends go to women only gyms so theres no problem cuz there are women only gyms everywhere in NY.

Kittygyal
04-26-2006, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimaatan

woow sis thats cool i lurve footy so no one mess with that :p

extinction
04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
is sports really required? im sure the prophet saws was very fit Alhamdullilah wivout playin much sports. Isnt it better to train for jihad fi-sabillilah by like swiming/wrestling etc?

jus tryin 2 find what the best thing to do is :)
but isnt that for men more than women........you wouldnt want your wife to pull out some wrestling moves on you when you decline her that oh so lovely 5karat diamond.....

IbnAbdulHakim
04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
but isnt that for men more than women........you wouldnt want your wife to pull out some wrestling moves on you when you decline her that oh so lovely 5karat diamond.....
if ur referring to the title of the thread i just read "sport and fitness" and my eyes musta completely umm... *missed* the (sisters) word.

but still, i think sports is good but trainin 4 jihad by wrestlin n stuff is betta, and joggin at fajr THAT FEELS TOO GOOD!!!!

:sl: :)

extinction
04-26-2006, 08:07 PM
if ur referring to the title of the thread i just read "sport and fitness" and my eyes musta completely umm... *missed* the (sisters) word.

but still, i think sports is good but trainin 4 jihad by wrestlin n stuff is betta, and joggin at fajr THAT FEELS TOO GOOD!!!!

I see..I was referring to the comment about you saying wrestling and that would be better than sports...but wrestling is a sport..not that wwe crap ...erm yeah I think the activites prescribed were/are horseback riding archery swimming...jogging at fajr is good..but going to the gym after jogging is better..as for ladies..if you cant find a womens only gym in your area try scoping out a time when the gym is kind of dead and discreet in my area we have this huge gym called l.a fitness however around 7-8 am there is no one there except me and this other hafiz brother I mean no one at all besides the employees of course so finding a discreet time could also be a good alternative or even purchasing that apparatus if you can afford it and have space in your house..

meknesi
04-27-2006, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukria

WHERE IN LADBROKE GOVE EXACTLY?

meknesi
04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukria

AND ALSO SISTER FITNESS FIRST WHO WILL BE THE STAFF ON THE WOMEN SECTIONS WILL IT BE MALE OR FEMALE PLUS CAMERAS WHO WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE WOMENS SECTION CAMERAS WILL IT BE MALES WORKERS? DO KNOW BY ANY CHANCE?

Rabi'ya
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
good question brother....i always have issues with CCTV, its one of my main annoyances!

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:05 PM

LOL... so that's why u go jogging! CALL D POLICE!!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
LOL... so that's why u go jogging! CALL D POLICE!!!!
i'll jog away from the police,. i'll jog away from them all!!!!!

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
good question brother....i always have issues with CCTV, its one of my main annoyances!

Well then you shouldn't shop-lift;):p.

Rabi'ya
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
cheeky!!! u ever heard of me shoplifting!?!?

[S]stick on topic [/S]

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
lol lol ok ok... erm.. so yeah jogging (apart from the police)... who likes it?

Umm Yoosuf
04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I forgot about CCTV Camera's...

So do they have it in swimming polls as well :?

IbnAbdulHakim
04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
^ my cousin sisters went swimmin, they betta nt hav cameras!!! :anger: !!!

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:17 PM
i don't like swimming... people pee in the pool:eek:.
And jogging sucks too... sit ups rule!

Rabi'ya
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
i duno, i know they got em in my local pool, coz u can watch them from the recepetion area....i dont think they in the changing rooms, but they in the main pool area for sure....

honestly, unless its run by Muslims i dont think id really trust it ....

id rather keep on jogging in my jilbab lmao!! probably the police would chase me thinking i was running away from something :P but not them ;) loooool

another idea is to go running straight after Fajr, not many people out then

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:21 PM
yeah... and another idea is to do sit ups in the comfort of ur bedroom:coolsis:!

Umm Yoosuf
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
i duno, i know they got em in my local pool, coz u can watch them from the recepetion area....i dont think they in the changing rooms, but they in the main pool area for sure....

honestly, unless its run by Muslims i dont think id really trust it ....

id rather keep on jogging in my jilbab lmao!! probably the police would chase me thinking i was running away from something :P but not them ;) loooool

another idea is to go running straight after Fajr, not many people out then

:ooh: :ooh: :eek: I better warn sisters :hmm:

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
SIT UPS PEOPLE! Seriously!:D

Nawal89
04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
i jog or walk for 20 mins every day.

And hey sisters our pool will be fixed in like about 2 weeks time. You girls wanna jump in with meeeeeeeeee??

;D;D I cant wait till its fixed. i soo lurve swimming.

amirah_87
04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
salaams
hey man thanx .....i like swimming Nawaal but y'know what happened the last time we went................:):):)
lucky you, but down in london it'll be suicide havin an outdoor pool , if y'know wot i mean........
wassalaam

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Does anyone wanna start a sit up club for sisters with me?:D

Shukria
04-27-2006, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by meknesi
AND ALSO SISTER FITNESS FIRST WHO WILL BE THE STAFF ON THE WOMEN SECTIONS WILL IT BE MALE OR FEMALE PLUS CAMERAS WHO WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE WOMENS SECTION CAMERAS WILL IT BE MALES WORKERS? DO KNOW BY ANY CHANCE?

Da 1 in Ladbroke Grove, i would have to get the address for you but Fitness First in Acton has a separate room for women. Only women go in there but you would have to walk through the main room 1st. Therefore it is best to change once you get to the room.

Shukria
04-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Normally, wouldn't be any staff in the women's room. Any male staff would have to inform any1 in the women's room dat they r coming in there. You have to get an intro on how to use the equipment from some1, you can ask for a female to dat.

Nawal89
04-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Does anyone wanna start a sit up club for sisters with me?:D
I'd love to do that:statisfie

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Coolness!

*noor
04-27-2006, 03:27 PM
[PIE]Hey!!! I love jogging!! How can you not like jogging?? [/PIE]

lol

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 03:29 PM
yeah well... i think i would look funny jogging in my jilbab... like a flying ninja!:D

*noor
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah well... i think i would look funny jogging in my jilbab... like a flying ninja!:D

:giggling:

lol..............try going to a women's only gym..........or do other excercises.....its a good thing u like situps cuz those are really good too.

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah man... SIT UPS WOOH!
I'll think about that gym thing, but I do watch what i eat so..:coolsis:.

*noor
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah........its always good to eat healthy.......nutrition....thats the first component to keeping your body healthy and and looking nice.

Mawaddah
04-27-2006, 03:41 PM
OoOOoOoOH I LOVE Sports!!!

And I see that a lot of the sisters here feel uncomfortable to do some sports because of the Jilbab and all??

I never even care about that!!! The beautiful sparkling ocean is right at my doorstep here in the Bahamas and I go swimming with my full jilbab and khimar :D
And Me and my friends are going to go skating INsha'allah
And in Malaysia me and my friends went to an ice skating ring with FULL NIQAB!! ;D ;D man......the attention we had was amazing.....it felt like the whole malll had come to look at us lol
And in Malaysia I used to go biking with my jilbab and all too.....but not anymore since I'm in the BAhamas :(

So yeah, I do all sorts of sports and never let the fact of my hijab and jilbab hold me back ;) it might look funny but what the heck :p

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Mhmm, sure is. I think it's even more important than exercise.

Mawaddah
04-27-2006, 03:44 PM
^ true, having a good balanced diet keeps your body healthy and keeps you from going over weight, but you want to tone those muscles too right? some people are slim but really flabby :p

Umm Yoosuf
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I never even care about that!!! The beautiful sparkling ocean is right at my doorstep here in the Bahamas and I go swimming with my full jilbab and khimar :D
Don't you like...erm...float:X

And Me and my friends are going to go skating INsha'allah
And in Malaysia me and my friends went to an ice skating ring with FULL NIQAB!! ;D ;D man......the attention we had was amazing.....it felt like the whole malll had come to look at us lol
Subhanallah....skating is cool...but getting attention from people...NO thanks...thats so embarrassing:offended:

Nawal89
04-27-2006, 03:46 PM
^I was hoping i would be in the news the next day so i didnt mind ;D;D;D.

*noor
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
well, they're both important.........to get the results that you want, like a nice and healthy body, you have to put them together to do that.

Mawaddah
04-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Don't you like...erm...float:X
LOL Sis Al-Mu'minah you're toooooooooooooo funny ;D ;D but the answer is yes when you first get in the water the jilbab is like a big balloon lol but then it gets wet and then it's fine ;) just have to wear a light cotton one thats all

Subhanallah....skating is cool...but getting attention from people...NO thanks...thats so embarrassing:offended:
Aaaah Sis.....every where we go we get stared at anyway......so what's a little more attention? ;) I just turn a blind eye and a deaf ear on them

Umm Yoosuf
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
AsilahRana some sisters are finding it real difficult to find swimming suites that...are appropriate to wear i.e. swim wear which do not reveal their 'awrah and swim wear that are suitable so they do not float:p

Your advice would be what?

To wear a jilaab :D

IbnAbdulHakim
04-27-2006, 04:15 PM
i love swimmin so dont put me off :rant:!!! lol thats what the chlorines for :rollseyes

Mawaddah
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
AsilahRana some sisters are finding it real difficult to find swimming suites that...are appropriate to wear i.e. swim wear which do not reveal their 'awrah and swim wear that are suitable so they do not float:p

Your advice would be what?

To wear a jilaab :D

Yeah a Jilbab.......a light cotton one though, or maybe one of those salwaar kameez thingies ;D

glo
05-01-2006, 07:45 PM
My daughter (12) and I are training for the Race for Life (cancer research) here in the UK.
Are any of you joining this event? It is getting bigger each year!

It is an event for women only. But male spectators are allowed.

Umm Yoosuf
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Hiya

Personally i wouldn't join it nor reccomand other sisters to join it. A lot of the aspects involved in this event is not Islamic. To give you an example...free mixing..In islam men and women are not allowed to free mix...Does free mixing take palce in this race? Yes. Men and women running together.

extinction
05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I very much doubt alot of women (muslim) would attend it

glo
05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Hiya

Does free mixing take palce in this race? Yes. Men and women running together.
Like I said, in this event only women run.

Peace

glo
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I very much doubt alot of women (muslim) would attend it
No, I have never seen a Muslim woman take part - at least not a recognisably dressed Muslim woman.
I just thought I'd mention it out of interest.

Perhaps I shouldn't have. I meant no offence. Sorry! :X

Peace

*noor
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
but aren't male spectators allowed??

glo
05-01-2006, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
but aren't male spectators allowed??
Yes, as I said in #98 (I think)

I merely said that men and women are not running together - as was claimed by Al-Mu'minah.

I won't go into any nit-picking about this.
Clearly it was not an appropriate post to make and I have apologised. :statisfie

Blessings

extinction
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM

I merely said that men and women are not running together - as was claimed by Al-Mu'minah.

Clearly it was not an appropriate post to make and I have apologised. :statisfie

Blessings
You never said anything wrong at all and there was no need to apologize whatsoever

we need 2 unite
05-01-2006, 09:56 PM
hi glo, thnks for letting us no, merely i think it is a good event and there is no need for you 2 apologise as you had good intentions and you didnt say anything wrong but let us no, and i think sisters would have joined if it werent males spectators as we are supposed to be active in our community unless goes against our islamic teachings. but, i hope it goes well for you and your daughter. and do tell us about the outcome.
peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
i love swimmin so dont put me off :rant:!!! lol thats what the chlorines for :rollseyes
Haha... suit yourself:p.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
^ true, having a good balanced diet keeps your body healthy and keeps you from going over weight, but you want to tone those muscles too right? some people are slim but really flabby :p
Sis!!!!:giggling:
Let's continue this discussion in the sisters section:p.
But i think if you do some exercise and watch what u eat, and fast regularly you should be all right. Works for me anyway.:D

Umm Yoosuf
05-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Blessings
I appologise glo i didn't read where you wrote women only event:X :X

By the way its a cool post why the apology?

Back to the topic:sister:

Like you said
But male spectators are allowed.
So I woldn't still take part in it. If the event was free from men then i don't think there would be anything wrong in taking part:sister:

glo
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM

By the way its a cool post why the apology?
I dunno. I was having an apologetic moment! :giggling:

So I woldn't still take part in it. If the event was free from men then i don't think there would be anything wrong in taking part:sister:
I understand about modesty and conduct between men and women, and all that ... but can you explain why you would find running publicly immodest and inappropriate, if you were covered appropriately?

Thanks,

Umm Yoosuf
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I understand about modesty and conduct between men and women, and all that ... but can you explain why you would find running publicly immodest and inappropriate, if you were covered appropriately?

Thanks,
I am assuing by question you mean infront of men (thats what you mean by publically right?)...thats a interesting question...But what you got to ask yourself is why does one need to run publicially? Why not have a separte event for WOMEN ONLY? I don't see the indeed for a muslim woman covered from head to toe running around publically. Its inappropriate. Look at it this way... how do i know that some guy is not admiring me? And is watching my every move. "Look at the way she runs wow"...etc I say if a woman wants to take part in a sport's even etc let her do it in a women only area.

That way she will feel more relaxed and comfortable.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.