/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of Aameen

DaSangarTalib
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
According to majority of the Ulema, Aameen is an abbreviation of 'Allaahummastajib lana" (Oh Allah! Accept our Duaa (supplication))

Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) had stated: "I have been granted Aameen (to say) in Salaah and at the time of Du'aa. None was granted such before me except Moosa(Moses) (Alayhis salaam). He would make Du'aa(supplication) and Haroon(Aaron) (Alayhis salaam) would say Aameen. So end your Du'aas with Aameen - Allah will surely answer them for you." (Tafseer Ibn Katheer Vol.1 Pg.56; Darus salaam). From this Hadith it is apparent that the Jews also are following the sunnah of their Nabi(Prophet) in saying 'Amen'.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdullah4ever
04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
:sl:

Good post brother and great hadith

edil
04-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Masha'allah. Thanks for the useful information.

hissa
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
That was really nice, Mash'allah!
THanks for sharing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
04-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Jazak Allah. I had wondered sometimes about the meaning of ameen.

ummAbdillah
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
jazak allah khair for the useful info
:)

j4763
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Taken from wikipedia

Amen in Judaism
In Judaism, it is taught that the word Amen is an acronym for A[l] (or El), Me[lech], N[e'eman] meaning "Lord (or God), King, [who is] Trustworthy." It is related to the Hebrew word emuna or "faith" with the same linguistic root, implying that one is affirming with, and of, "the faith" of Judaism (and its belief in Monotheism).

Amen in Christianity

The uses of amen ("verily") in the Gospels form a peculiar class; they are initial, but often lack any backward reference. Jesus used the word to affirm his own utterances, not those of another person, and this usage was adopted by the church. The liturgical use of the word in apostolic times is attested by the passage from 1 Corinthians cited above, and Justin Martyr (c. 150) describes the congregation as responding "amen," to the benediction after the celebration of the Eucharist. Its introduction into the baptismal formula (in the Greek Orthodox Church it is pronounced after the name of each person of the Trinity) is probably later. Among certain Gnostic sects Amen became the name of an angel.

In the King James Bible, the word amen is preserved in a number of contexts. Notable ones include:

The catechism of curses of the Law found in Deuteronomy 27.
A double amen ("amen and amen") occurs in Psalms 89.
The custom of closing prayers with amen originates in the Lord's Prayer at Matthew 6:13
Amen occurs in several doxology formulas in Romans 1:25, 9:5, 11:36, 15:33, and several times in Chapter 16.
It concludes all of Paul's general epistles.
In Revelation 3:14, Jesus calls himself, "the Amen, the faithful and true witness."
Amen concludes the New Testament at Rev. 22:21.
In some Christian churches, the amen corner or amen section is any subset of the congregation likely to call out "Amen!" in response to points in a preacher's sermon. Metaphorically, the term can refer to any group of heartfelt traditionalists or supporters of an authority figure.

In American English, the word "amen" has two pronunciations, ah-men or ay-men. The ah-men pronunciation is the one that is used in performances of classical music and in churches with more formalized rituals and liturgy. The ay-men pronunciation is associated with evangelical Christianity, and the pronunciation that is typically sung in gospel music.

Amen in Islam
Muslims use the word "ameen" not only after reciting the first surah (Al Fatiha) of the Qur'an, but also when concluding a prayer or duaa, with the same meaning as in Christianity.

Umm Safiya
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Jazak Allâhu khayr..

IbnAbdulHakim
04-27-2006, 08:59 AM
mashAllah, mashAllah, mashAllah

may my great brother be granted martyrdome as well as i

AMEEN

i wonder if that will coincide wiv the angels ameen :?

mehnaz
04-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Assalamoalaikum.

JazakAllah khair for sharing that information bro...

FiAmanillah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.