/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are false accusations allowed?

simply4allah
04-26-2006, 03:28 AM
I was reading chapter 12. This chapter is based on the story of Joseph.

I am not sure if I understood the story correctly. What I gathered from 12:70 is that Joseph deliberately placed a drinking cup in his brother's bag so that his brother could be retained in his country.

Falamma jahhazahum bijahazihim jaAAala alssiqayata fee rahli akheehi thumma aththana mu-aththinun ayyatuha alAAeeru innakum lasariqoona
YUSUFALI: At length when he had furnished them forth with provisions (suitable) for them, he put the drinking cup into his brother's saddle-bag. Then shouted out a crier: "O ye (in) the caravan! behold! ye are thieves, without doubt!"
PICKTHAL: And when he provided them with their provision, he put the drinking-cup in his brother's saddlebag, and then a crier cried: O camel-riders! Lo! ye are surely thieves!
SHAKIR: So when he furnished them with their provisions, (someone) placed the drinking cup in his brother's bag. Then a crier cried out: O caravan! you are most surely thieves.
KHALIFA: When he provided them with their provisions, he placed the drinking cup in his brother's bag, then an announcer announced: "The owners of this caravan are thieves."

If my understanding is right, then this leads to a question: Was Joseph's deceptive action acceptable in Islam? He was a muslim (submitter) I believe. Does that mean we can practice deception to achieve higher objectives?

My take was that placing a false blame on someone is an unacceptable act even though if we have a higher good objective in mind. God would not sanction it for muslims under any circumstances.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.