/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Khalid bin Al-Waleed

Khattab
05-10-2005, 12:50 AM
"My men love martyrdom more than your men love life" - Khalid Bin Waleed

Khalid bin Al-Waleed was one of the greatest generals in history, and one of the greatest heroes of Islam. Besides him, Genghis Khan was the only other general to remain undefeated in his entire military life. A measure of Khalid's genius is that he was the only person to inflict a (temporary) defeat on the Prophet Muhammad, (may Allah bless him and grant him peace).

The original title of the book, "The Sword of Allah: Khalid bin Al-Waleed, His Life and Campaigns" was written by the late Lieutenant-General A.I. Akram of the Pakistan Army, in October 1969. The author learnt Arabic in order to draw on the earliest historical sources and he visited every one of Khalid's battlefields in order to draw analyses from the viewpoint of military strategy, including reconciling conflicting historians' accounts. The book was originally published by the Army Education Press, Rawalpindi, Pakistan and printed by Feroze Sons Publishers in Lahore, Pakistan. The excellence of the book was such that it has been translated from English into Arabic and is currently sold in bookshops throughout the Arab World.

Since the material is taken from a book, for maximum benefit, the reader is advised to read the book from the beginning to the end.

To read the book of this great companion click on the link below :)

http://www.swordofallah.com/html/bookhome.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Far7an
05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Thread moved, Jazakallah khair akhee for sharing that

anis_z24
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Salam
I heard from Dr. Tariq Swaidan that his military plans are still studied today.

DaSangarTalib
04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
"I Die Even as a Camel Dies"

By: Ayesha AbdulMajid

Khalid (r) was the son of Al-Mugueerah ibn Al-Waleed, the richest man in Makkah and the most famous and well-known poet during that time. Khalid (r) was a tall man with a really built body. He was a knight and a warrior. A lot of times, people would mistake him for Umar ibn Al-Khattab because they looked so alike.

Embracing Islam

Khalid (r) became Muslim just three years before Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) died. One day, Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) asked Khalid's Muslim brother Al-Mugheerah, "Where is Khalid (r) ? He shouldn't be ignorant about Islam since he knows better! Al-Mugueerah sent a letter to Khalid(r) telling him what Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) had said. Khalid (r) decided to embrace Islam. He went to Madina with Amr ibn Al-As and both of them became Muslim in front of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) .

The Sword of Allah

Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) gave Khalid (r) the name "The Sword of Allah". Even though he didn't participate in the early battles, Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) saw that in the future, Khalid (r) would fight to raise the word of Islam. Rasulullah's prediction about Khalid (r) was right, because Khalid (R) became the one who defeated both empires, Rome and Persia. He was the one who conquered the traitors lead by Musailama the liar. He was also the one who opened Bilad Ashaam and Iraq. All this happened during the time when Abu Bakr and Umar Ibn Al-Khattab ruled.

The Battle of Mu'tah

Khalid (r) fought next to Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) in some battles, for example, Tabook, Hunain, and the battle of Ta'if. In Hunain, the enemy ambushed the Muslims and many of them ran away. It is said that only twelve Sahabah were left fighting and protecting Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) . Meanwhile, Khalid (r) was inside enemy lines fighting them. When he heard Al-Abbas calling for the Muslims, he pulled back and went to Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) . He, along with Umar, Ali and Abu-Bakr, fought fiercely around Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) . Khalid (r) was wounded awfully in this battle. But his ultimate battle was the Battle of Mu'tah.

Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) had sent messengers to a few Arabian tribes including the tribe of Al-Talh, inviting them to Islam. All of messengers were murdered except for the one who went back to tell Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) . And, Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) had sent messengers to Haracles, the Roman Leader in Bilad Ashaam. But in the middle of the road, the tribe of Ghassan captured the messengers and had them killed. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) swore to punish both tribes for such evil crimes.

Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) decided to send three thousand men led by Zaid ibn Harith. If he was killed, then Jafar ibn Abi-Talib would lead, and if he was killed, then Abdullah ibn Rawaha, and if he was killed, then the Muslims would have to choose their new leader. Khalid (r) was with the Muslims in this legion.

The Muslim army went forward until they reached the city of Ma'an and stayed there for two nights. They found out that the Arab tribes had gathered an army of 100 thousand men and that Rome had sent another army of 100 thousand men to help the Arab tribes. There were 200 thousand men against three thousand Muslims! But the Muslims were not afraid because they had faith in Allah (SWT).

Both armies moved on and met in an area called Mu'tah, which is now a small city in Jordan. Both sides released ferocious attacks at each other, and the three Muslim leaders were killed, so the Muslims chose Khalid (r) to lead the army against the massive army. Khalid (r) continued the fight until night time. Then, using his excellent war strategies, he pulled out his small army and switched the wings. Then, he ordered few men to go behind the hills and make rumble and dust to create an illusion that Muslim backups were approaching. The next day, both armies went into a more brutal battle, but the Kuffar thought that the Muslims had gotten more backup, so both the Romans and the Arabs panicked and cowardly ran from the battle field with the small and courageous Muslim army chasing them. The Muslims won this incredible battle under the noble leadership of Khalid Ibn Al-Waleed.

Khalid's Death

Khalid (r) ibn Al-Waleed died when he was 55, during the rule of Umar ibn Al-Khattab. Khalid (r) was living in the city of 'Hums, in Syrria. When he died, he left two things behind, his horse and his sword. He was was a great warrior, even before he was with the Muslims. Actually, part of the reason that the Muslims lost the battle of Uhud was because of him. On his deathbed, he was sad because he wanted to die as a Shaheed. His last words were: "I die even as a camel dies. I die in bed, in shame. May the eyes of cowards never find rest in sleep!"

Taken From: AhmadJibril.com | The Official Website Dedicated to Ahmad Jibril

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azim
04-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Masha'Allah, great post.

It's said that on his death bed, Khalid asked a close friend to examine his body. He asked "Can you find an area on my body the size of your hand that has not been wounded". His friend, after searching his entire body, replied negatively. Indeed his every inch of his body was covered in the injuries he attained fighting in the way of Allah. Then Khalid looked mournefully and asked "so why is that I have not attained the status of a martyr?". His friend was quiet, and after a while, replied "O Khalid bin al-Waleed, the Prophet (saws) named you as the Sword of Allah! It is not befitting for the sword of the Most High to break against the kuffar. Surely that would be an unimaginable thing. Allah has sheathed his sword on this earth, not the disbelievers." Khalid did not reply recognising the truth of his words, but his heart still yearned for death on the battlefield.

hidaayah
04-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Assalam u Alaikum..
An e-book about Khalid bin Waleed;
Sword of Allah

Ruenz
05-30-2006, 06:12 AM
jazakallah for sharing i didnt knew much about Khalid Bin Waleed, but luckly i saw a amr khaleads tv program about Khalid Bin Waleed it really was sward of ALlah

mbaig
05-30-2006, 06:46 AM
A'salaam alaykum brother ,

Excellent post . Thanks for sharing it brother. May allah reward you.

afriend
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Anybody got anymore quotes from Khalid bin Waleed (RA)??

seeker_of_ilm
07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Anybody got anymore quotes from Khalid bin Waleed (RA)??
:sl:

This is his last words.....

"I die even as a camel dies. I die in bed, in shame. May the eyes of cowards never find rest in sleep!"

جوري
07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
wow thank you... I def Appreciate that... was wondering where it went... glad to see you guys are always on top of it..
salaam

hidaayah
08-14-2006, 02:09 AM
The Sword Of Allah At Yarmuk
A.I. Akram (Lieutenant-General)

"Did you not see us victorious upon the Yarmuk,
The way we prevailed in the campaigns of 'Iraq ?
The virgin cities we conquered, as well as
The Yellow Meadow, on our galloping steeds.
We conquered before that Busra, which was
Impenetrable even to the flying crows.
We killed those who stood against us
With flashing swords, and we have their spoils.
We killed the Romans until they were reduced
Upon the Yarmuk, to emaciated leaves.
We smashed their army as they rushed headlong
To the Neck-Breaker, with our sharp steel.
By morning they tumbled into it, reaching
The mysterious matter that defies the senses."
[Al-Qa'qa' bin Amr, commander in Khalid's army] 1.

At dawn the Muslim corps lined up for prayers under their respective commanders. As soon as the prayers were over, every man rushed to his assigned place. By sunrise both armies stood in battle order, facing each other across the centre of the Plain of Yarmuk, a little less than a mile apart.

There was no movement and little noise in the two armies. The soldiers knew that this was a fight to the finish, that one of the two armies would lie shattered on the battlefield before the fight was over. The Muslims gazed in wonder at the splendid formations of the Roman legions with banners flying and crosses raised above the heads of the soldiery. The Romans looked with something less than awe at the Muslim army deployed to their front. Their confidence rested on their great numbers, but during the past two years the performance of the Muslims in Syria had instilled a good deal of respect in the hearts of the Romans. There was a look of caution in Roman eyes. Thus an hour passed during which no one stirred and the soldiers awaited the start of a battle which, according to the chroniclers, "began with sparks of fire and ended with a raging conflagration", and of which "each day was more violent than the day before." 2.

Then a Roman general by the name of George emerged from the Roman centre and rode towards the Muslims. Halting a short distance from the Muslim centre, he raised his voice and asked for Khalid. From the Muslim side Khalid rode out, delighted at the thought that the battle would begin with himself fighting a duel. He would set the pace for the rest of the battle.

As Khalid drew near, the Roman made no move to draw his sword, but continued to look intently at Khalid. The Muslim advanced until the necks of the horses crossed, and still George did not draw his sword. Then he spoke, in Arabic: "O Khalid, tell me the truth and do not deceive me, for the free do not lie and the noble do not deceive. Is it true that Allah sent a sword from heaven to your Prophet ? … and that he gave it to you ? … and that never have you drawn it but your enemies have been defeated?"

"No!" replied Khalid.

"Then why are you known as the Sword of Allah?"

Here Khalid told George the story of how he received the title of Sword of Allah from the Holy Prophet. George pondered this a while, then with a pensive look in his eyes, asked, "Tell me, to what do you call me?"

"To bear witness", Khalid replied, "that there is no Allah but Allah and Muhammad is His Slave and Messenger; and to believe in what he has brought from Allah."

"If I do not agree?"

"Then the Jizya, and you shall be under our protection."

"If I still do not agree?"

"Then the sword!"

George considered the words of Khalid for a few moments, then asked, "What is the position of one who enters your faith today?"

"In our faith there is only one position. All are equal."

"Then I accept your faith!" 3

To the astonishment of the two armies, which knew nothing of what had passed between the two generals, Khalid turned his horse and Muslim and Roman rode slowly to the Muslim army. On arrival at the Muslim centre George repeated after Khalid: "There is no Allah but Allah; Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah!" (A few hours later the newly-converted George would fight heroically for the faith which he had just embraced and would die in battle.) On the auspicious note of this conversion began the Battle of Yarmuk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Ibn Kathir, Al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah, Dar Abi Hayyan, Cairo, 1st ed. 1416/1996, Vol. 7 P. 20.
2. Waqidi: p. 133
3. Tabari: Vol. 2, p. 595

Read the whole story of Khalid Bin al Waleed and the early Muslim Conquests at www.swordofallah.com

جوري
08-14-2006, 02:21 AM
this is indeed wonderful.... thank you so much for sharing

R Khan
01-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Assalamu alaykum, forgive me I know this is a very old topic but this is personally one the companions I aspire from the most :embarrass.

Abu Bakr (RA) once said: 'Women will no longer give birth to the likes of Khalid ibn Walid'
He, Khalid ibn Walid(RA) is described as the embodiment of Jihad.

The title Saifullah (Sword of Allah) was given to him, after he broke 9 swords and was on his 10th sword when he was fighting fisabilillah just after he embraced Islam in the battle of Mu'tah. His military tactics are even studied to this day and it can be said that it was due to him, in the battle of Uhud, the Muslims lost. He saw an opportunity to pounce on the Muslims - as the rear Muslim regiment (a group of archers) scattered and headed for the booty (even though they were instructed to stay put at the back and not let the mushrikeen flank the Muslims from behind). As the main regiment of the mushriks were retreating, Khalid had no intention of retreating as he gazed at mt.Uhud were he noticed the Muslim archers (not all of them) running to the open field, this is were he and his small cavalry charged and flanked the Muslims (who at this point separted into two regiments - due to being out numbered) Soon the retreating mushriks realised what was happening and they all went back into battle and defeated the Muslims.

Khalid ibn Walid, whether in Islam or before he embraced it, never lost a single battle. He had over a 100 battles - zero defeats, he is regarded as one of the finest military commanders in history. He was a cousin of Umar ibn al Khattab(RA) and it was common for people to mistake one to the other, when they were younger they used to wrestle each other and throughout their lives they always had a rivalry. Umar(RA) as some may know was the 40th to embrace Islam and by the time Khalid embraced Islam it was already in the thousands, even still Khalid challenged him. When Umar(RA) become the Caliph removed Khalid from the army, as some Muslims thought that Khalid was the one who brought victory - but it is Allah who brings victory to the believers, Khalid said "Praise be to Allah who took Abu Bakr away. He was dearer to me than Umar. Praise be to Allah who appointed Umar in authority He was hateful to me, but I grew to like him." He grew to like Umar as he was impressed with his leadership.

His father Walid was a wealthy man and their tribe was one of the richest in Makkah, so in Khalid's youth he never needed to work so he and a few others would go to the outskirts/desert areas to train in the art of warfare.

When he was leading the Muslims against the superpowers of the day: Roman empire & Persian empire, in one particular ocassion Khalid was checking his men on the frontline. He came infront of a young Muslim man who said:
"Look at how many troops the Romans have! and how few the Muslims are"
Khalid said "Do not say that! How few are the Romans and how numerous are we ! 'An army's strength lies not in numbers of men but in Allah's help, and its weakness lies in being forsaken by Allah"

He was a man who was literally chasing death, he wanted to be martyred in the path of Allah. But he died on his death bed and questioned why he was not abled to be martyed, he asked a companion "Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance?"
His companion said that he is Saifullah and that it would be inapporpriate if the Sword of Allah was to break at the hands of a disbeliver.

He said Said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

"When I am in the battlefield, I love it more then when I am in my house.
The rainy night when I am standing wearing armor with sword and shield in my hand and looking again and again towards the eastern horizon, waiting for sun to rise so that I could start the battle."
He used to wield two swords as he fought and would control his horse with just his feet.

I can't post links yet but i'll try linking these good youtube videos: youtube.com/watch?v=kORBsde1-HE
youtube.com/watch?v=MjWRpumnJSU

I'll end on this, our beloved Prophet Muhammed (saws) said to Khalid: "You are a Sword among Swords of Allah, and Allah has drawn you out against the disbelievers"

Took me the whole day to write this, as I am an index finger typer.

Maryan0
01-01-2011, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaSangarTalib
"I die even as a camel dies. I die in bed, in shame. May the eyes of cowards never find rest in sleep!"
My younger sister had to do a project on him for Islamic Studies. He was a great man and a great Muslim may Allah have mercy on him.
Salam

Perseveranze
01-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

He was an amazing General, probably the best. Check this out -

This is good -

"Allah gave the Kuffar only a piece of the Dunya, but He gave us the promise of Al-Akhir"

"I will give you three days, if the gates are not opened on these revised terms, I shall attack. And then there shall be no terms of any kind."

"Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance."

"When I am in the battlefield, I love it more then when I am in my house."

"The rainy night when I am standing weaving armour with sword and shield in my hand and looking again and again twoards the eastern horizon, waiting for sun to rise so that I could start the battle."

This is one man you would not want to meet in the battlefield lol.

Zafran
01-01-2011, 01:13 AM
salaam

with a doubt one of the greatest militery generals of all time - Thanks to Allah swt

peace

~Zaria~
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I Love this nasheed, about such an amazing sahaba and defender of Islam.
SubhanAllah.

"Tell him the One we thank the most (Allah), knows all that is public or secret
He (Allah) KNOWS what you are,
But, He (Allah) tests His servant with hardships.....

Whoever wants his final destination to be the heaven,
He wouldnt accept a weak spirit.

For some, dreams are all what they do.
And for others, they make their dreams come true!

And the one who says:
'Lord, I have Faith!',
Will never bare despair and suspicion.

This one becomes stronger with Quraan and Sunnah
And when the Caller calls (for goodness), he responds."

Ps. For those who may not know about his life, please read the previous posts in this thread, incl. the book: 'The Sword of Allah: Khalid bin Al-Waleed' insha Allah.

:wa:

Ghazalah
10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
The greatest general to ever live. Fact.

Genghis Khan may not have lost any battles either, but he just had the status of a general, he was not the mastermind behind his battles. Khalid, not only participated in every battle but also orchestrated it. On an intellectual level, Khan does not even come close to Khalid.

Futuwwa
10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
The Byzantine Empire was once a superpower, then it took a jihad to the knee ;D

haizrul
02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Assalamualaikum,

In my spare time, I like to read and analyse Ghazwah Rasul SAW and important Islamic military conflict ..... currently I am reading about the Battle of Yarmuk from Osprey .. it is a good read ... it talks about the strategy, the arms used by both sides dan the time and place ....

can review it in goodreads ;Yarmuk AD 636: The Muslim conquest of Syria by David Nicolle

Thx and have a nice day ....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.