/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Exam advice

hidaayah
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Blessed Success - Exam Advice for Students

by Shaykh Salman al-Oadah
9th June 2004

A person possessing a true and sincere desire for something is very likely, with the help of Allah, to achieve it in the end. Perseverance is the constant companion of those who are successful.

With exam time upon us, our students right now are facing times of anxiety and stress. It is necessary for parents to keep close tabs on their children at this time and help them to get through these times successfully.

I direct the following advice to our students who are facing their exams:

First of all, you have to get a grip on the anxieties associated with your studies:

1. Focus on the day at hand.
Do not become excessively bogged down by your concerns. Know that Allah says: “And in the heavens is your providence and what you are promised.”
[Surah al-Dhariyat : 22]

2. Consider the heavy toll that inordinate worrying has on your health, your body, and your mind.

3. Do not fret over past failures. Remember that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said: 'If some misfortune befalls you, do not say ‘If only I had done such and such…' Instead say: ‘Allah's decree and whatever He wills He does .' Truly, the words ‘if only …' open the way for Satan's handiwork.'

4. Reconcile yourself to Allah's determination and decree.
What Allah chooses for you is better than what you choose for yourself. Allah's messenger (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said: 'How remarkable is the affair of the believer. Indeed all of his affairs are for the best, and this is the case for no one except a believer. If prosperity befalls him, he is thankful and this is good for him. If misfortune befalls him, he is patient and that is good for him.'

5. Instead of enumerating all of your worries, fears, and failures, count Allah's blessings – which are innumerable.

Allah says: “If you count Allah's blessings, you will never account for them all. Indeed Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.”
[Surah al-Nahl : 18]

He also says: “If you count Allah's blessings, you will never account for them all. Indeed Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. Verily, man is given up to injustice and ingratitude.”
[Surah Ibrahim : 34]

6. Do not be self-centered, thinking only of yourself.

Try to do something for others. At least manage a smile and try to do something more for them.

The second task is to distinguish between constructive worry that pushes you to study harder and more effectively and destructive worry that merely robs you of your sleep, keeps you from eating and drinking, befuddles your thoughts, and prevents you from studying effectively.

You need to make sure to get enough sleep. You need to relax, even on the night before a big exam.

You must also make certain to eat properly, preferably light meals that are not to oily. Also drink juices. Do not overdo it and do not resort to excessive amounts of coffee, tea, and other drinks that are high in caffeine. As for popping stimulant pills, know that this is both Islamically unlawful and self-destructive. It can lead to addiction and dependency and it will not help you in your studies. It will only hurt you. Do not be duped by others who might try to talk you into it saying that it is only for exam time and then you can give it up.

You need to move around and get exercise. If you are just too busy, then at least walk around the room while you are studying.

Glorify your Lord. Allah says: “Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.”
[Surah al-Ra`d : 28]

Do not neglect the practical steps to success. You are supposed to take them. However, do not put your reliance upon then. Instead, put your reliance in Allah, the Lord of those practical steps and the one who brings about their effectiveness. Allah says: “And put your trust in Him Who lives and dies not; and celebrate His praises.”
[Surah al-Furqan : 58]

It is reported that once a man came to the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) and asked: 'Should I tie my camel or rely upon Allah?'

So the Prophet replied: 'Tie it and rely upon Allah.' In this way, he showed how we must take practical steps and rely upon Allah at the same time.

Do not forget that life is one big test. Just like it is necessary for you to pass your tests at school, you are going to have to pass that big test as well. That exam is as long as your life and the results only come out at the very end.

Parents, for their part, should pay attention to their children and to their examinations, their studies, and their homework without putting too much pressure on them and stressing them out.

We now turn our attention to how to study. This is a four-step process.

First
, the lesson should be given a good, general reading. This should be done once or twice until the general meaning is clearly fixed in your mind. You need to assess what you read, determine how difficult or easy it is, and draw from it its main ideas.

The second step is to get a precise grasp of the material, understand it thoroughly, and commit to memory what needs to be memorized. Do not memorize what does not warrant memorization. Many of our youth rely too much on memorization and not enough on understanding.

The third step
is to make sure you have got everything down. You should repeat to your self those things you have memorized or understood from your lessons. Highlight important points in your notes.

The final step is to then go back and review what you have studied, either on your own or with others.

Do not forget the following:

* Underline main ideas and important principles.
* Give yourself time to pause and to rest.
* Find some little clues in the material that you want to commit to memory to help you to memorize it.
* Read out loud sometimes.
* Rewrite those things that you want to grasp more firmly.
* Choose an appropriate time and place to study.

Now we turn our attentions to how to answer the test questions.

1. There is nothing wrong in trying to figure out what the test questions are going to be. You can put yourself in your teacher's place and write down the questions that you think are likely. Then you can focus extra attention on answering these questions. However, do not neglect the rest of the material. Also, get sample questions from others and from the test papers of previous years in order to get an idea of the types of questions your teacher or professor is likely to ask.

2. Do not forget to eat breakfast before going to the examination, even if time is limited.

3. Pay attention to the test schedule. One of my friends was an excellent student, but he never pursued his studies. Why? Because once he made a fatal mistake regarding the test schedule. This experience left him so bitter that he could not continue in his studies. Make sure you know your test schedule well. Make sure you review on the night of the exam only the tests that you are going to sit for the next day.

4. Seek Allah's help and remember Him. Start your test in his name.

5. Come early to the testing room and make sure that you are properly equipped with pens and whatever else you will need to take the test.

6. Read over the questions in a relaxed manner. If allowed, ask your teacher to explain any question that you do not understand.

7. Answer the easiest questions first. Do not just follow the order of questions on the test paper. Starting with the easiest questions makes the whole test go smoother.

8. Put off the things that you do not know and do not succumb to worry. With Allah's help, the answer may come to you. Do not become anxious if you see your fellow students around you starting to write before you do.

9. Do your best to write your answers neatly, clearly, and in an orderly fashion.

10. Do not cheat. Keep in mind that deception is unlawful in Islam.

11. Divide your time sensibly between the test questions. Do not spend all of your time on one question to the expense of the others.

12. Resist the urge to hand in your test paper as soon as possible though you may just want to get out of the room as quickly as you can and consult with your friends about what the right answers were. Take all the time that you are given. Read over the questions again. You may have forgotten something. It is better to take this time now than to regret later the easy question that you missed.

13. Do not leave any question unanswered. Even if you do not know the answer, try anyway. This is not lying. You are not issuing official decrees. You are just in training.

May Allah bless you with success!
wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Riya90
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
jazakAllah sis for this beneficial article...
I've got my exams comin up after 3 weeks
please make du'a for me

fi amani Allah

Sahabiyaat
05-01-2006, 05:06 PM
MashaAllah that was excellent advice :thumbs_up
i was glad to know i follow most of the points when revising, only i tend to panic when sitting the actual exam.

11. Divide your time sensibly between the test questions. Do not spend all of your time on one question to the expense of the others.

i know one sister who did all the first (a) parts to an exam paper and didnt do the second parts (b) at all and Alhamdulillah she still managed to pass!

Do not cheat. Keep in mind that deception is unlawful in Islam.

alas! if only we could cheat, but were seated approx 2 miles away from each other

lolwatever
05-04-2006, 08:55 PM
cool stuff
yeh its important ur always writing notes not reading.. coz otherwise ull fall asleeeeeeppp or atleast ur mind will drift off and u get bored:unhappy:

oh yeh.. and be proud tobe a nerd :beard: lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslim_friend
05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
:sl:

Very nice advice. masha'Allah i needed something to get me going. Exams, comin' Saturday, insha'Allah.. :grumbling.. make dua for me.

Kittygyal
05-07-2006, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend

Very nice advice. masha'Allah i needed something to get me going. Exams, comin' Saturday, insha'Allah.. :grumbling.. make dua for me.

salam.
i will remember you in my prayers and may god help you (amin)
good advise from me is to ''revise''
ta sis for this info even though i don't do exams but it's very handy to others that are setting them :)
w.salam

muslim_friend
05-09-2006, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam.
i will remember you in my prayers and may god help you (amin)
good advise from me is to ''revise''
w.salam

Jazak'Allah sis. :)

------
05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Jazakallah sis! :D

akuokay
12-05-2006, 06:27 AM
just found these thread! owh... I'm on my exam weeks now, the last paper will be on this coming friday. last few weeks was quite tough for me, which I sat for Programming in C paper. and it seems my carry marks doesn't help me much, my poor understanding of that subjects, and every time i've tried refers to notes... i've fight not to fallen a sleep. till i intend to take drugs :uhwhat
because one of my friends of mine, took that thing and he about score 3.0 pointer cgpa.
anyway, thanks God, I'm not taking those things, one of my friend has wake me up. He said, "Believe in Allah (swt) will, and never give up to learn, no matter how hard it is... theres owes a way. Allah help those who help themselves."
A night before the examination, I reverse started to make revision from the first chapter. From understanding of nothing, then I slowly understand all the codes and concept, how and when to use it. I make duaa, before and after studying, it's felt more peace inside. :sunny:

Al Mu'minaat
09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
WOW mashallah only found this thread now..some great advice!!

GuestFellow
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Mashallah! I'm gonna need this...a lot.

~Zaria~
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Some beneficial advice for those who may be preparing for exams : )........

An Islamic Recipe for Exam Success

Cii News | 01 November 2012

As another examination season dawns, preparations are again in full swing as pupils lock themselves away from the outside world, lost in the pages of their textbooks, busy reducing their notes for the umpteenth time in a desperate bid to memorise all that had passed over their heads since their courses began.
For many students, the importance of exam success has been drilled into their impressionable young minds from the outset of school life, by parents, teachers and peers. It is thus perhaps inevitable that sitting for exams has become one of the most stressful times in a young persons life. Sadly, for a few individuals the enormous pressures amount to more than they can bear, pushing them into a state of anxiety, depression or in the most extreme of cases to suicide.

So within the midst of an atmosphere of such immense stresses, the question that arises is how should people cope with the pressures of exams, and prepare adequately both practically, and spiritually?

Cii enlisted the services of Moulana Obeidullah Bhoja, Imam of the Reiger Park Masjid in Boksburg, to offer solutions to some of these most pertinent challenges facing students. Below is a summary of his timely advice.

Realise that our entire lives are examinations

Referring to the Sahaba in Surah Hujuraat, Allah says “they are the ones whose hearts Allah has tested for righteousness. For them is forgiveness and great reward” (Quraan 49:3). Allah Himself took their examination and Allah Ta’alah rewarded them most suitably.
In the examinations of this world, there can always be a remark or rewrite. However in the larger examination of our lives – once a person’s eyes close, and he/she leaves this world, there is unfortunately no turning back, remarking or rechecking. In this examination, there can only be absolute success or absolute failure.
“And we will surely let them taste the nearer punishment short of the greater punishment that perhaps they will repent” (Quraan 32:21)
Our successes/failures in this world should serve as reminders that success in the Hereafter is everlasting, whilst failure there will only lead to perpetual ****ation.

Correct your intention for studying

“Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended.” (HADITH).
Make an intention! For instance, ‘O Allah! I am learning this – through this I’d like to attain some Halaal sustenance; through this I’d like to attain Your Pleasure; through this I can please my parents..”
We can make multiple intentions that can benefit us tremendously in whatever we embark on. Through the correct intentions, these examinations can become a source of guidance for us and a source to draw Allah’s Mercy upon us and the Ummah

Start Early

Preparation begins well before the formal exams. Be attentive in class. Grasp the lesson completely. Draw up an examination plan of action. Don’t cram, pull all-nighters and deprive yourself of sleep.

Be respectful

Deen is Adab. How we respect our teachers has a bearing on everything else we do in life, including our examinations. By hurting our teachers, we are in turn hurting ourselves.
Respect also includes how we treat inanimate objects such as our books and bags. Scribbles, torn pages and uncovered books reflect a disdain for the very knowledge we seek to gain.
Tossing our bags wildly wherever we go, can also be deemed disrespectful

The best time to study

Try to study after Maghrib. Whatever you study at this time, you will be able to digest very quickly.
To recap what you have studied, engage your mind after Fajr Salaah.

Disconnect!

Get rid of your mobile phones and any other electronic diversions whilst studying. Pings, tweets and tags are all very distracting and disrupt the mental processes. Place cellphones well out of your physical reach.

Pace yourself

Don’t study everything at once. Study wise. Evaluate what needs to be studied; what constitutes the bulk of the marks in what you are studying. Prioritize, and allot your time accordingly.

Prime Placement

The location where you study is also of utmost importance. Avoid places of high movement, and possible conversation. Good lighting and ventilation is also imperative.
Background music/sounds can come back to haunt you during examinations, when a candidate could find the absolute silence of the exam venue to be “deafening.”

‘You are what you eat’

Include in your exam diet many of the nourishing foods mentioned in the Quraan and Sunnah. Among these are dates, which are a valuable source of protein and energy. Dates provide us with an instant energy boost. They are a Sunnah in the life of Nabi SAW, not restricted just to the month of Ramadan.
Eat at least 7 almonds every morning, and even at other times of the day to refresh the mind.
Rub oil in the hair, to ‘ventilate’ and stimulate the brain.
Avoid sugary energy drinks, that provide one with a temporary boost, only to leave you drained once their temporary effect has burnt out.
Don’t eat even nourishing and healthy foods in excess.
Avoid drinking excessive water prior to an examination
Have a full breakfast before knuckling down for any exam

Sleep well

There is nothing better as a preparation for an exam than a full nights sleep. Recuperate the day’s lost energy by getting your complete quota of sleep.

Spiritual Preparation

Before a study session, make wudhu and perform two Rakaats of Salatul Hajaat, beseeching Allah to guide you to learn that which will be beneficial both in the examination, and in life. After studying, perform Salaah again thanking Allah and asking Him to allow you to remember what was learnt.
The best time for Dua is at the time of Tahajjud. This is an incredibly blessed time, wherein we can solve all our problems.
Avoid sin as this dulls the memory and causes forgetfulness. Our Duas remain suspended as long as we do not make Taubah and sincerely repent for our wrongs.
Thoughts of music, illicit lovers etc. - if not expunged, come back to haunt us and fog our concentration during studying and exams.

At the exam venue

On entering, recite Duas such as:

“Hasbunallahu Wa Ni’mal Wakeel” - Allah is Sufficient for me, and is the Best Representative we can have.
“Lailaha Illaaha illa Anta Subhanaka Inni Kuntu minazalimeen” – There is no deity beside You(O Allah), I have been amongst the transgressors.
“Subhanaka la ilmalana illa ma alamta lana, innaka antal Aleemul Hakeem” – Glory be to Thee(O Allah!). There is no knowledge, except that which you taught us. Verily, You(only) are the All-Knowing, the Wise.
Recite Durood Shareef and begin the exam by perusing first through the entire question paper.

What if…

If failure ever arises, or we do not achieve our desired outcomes, never take any drastic action. We cannot seek a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Evaluate the causes of failure and attempt corrective action, instead of resorting to substance abuse, or even suicide.

ABOVE ALL, ALWAYS MAKE DUA THAT WE PASS THE GREATEST EXAMINATION WHEN WE STAND BEFORE ALLAH ON THE DAY OF QIYAAMAH

Whoever is saved from the Fire and admitted to the Jannah, he indeed is successful” – Quraan 3:185

http://www.ciibroadcasting.com/2012/...-exam-success/

There are many duaas that can be recited during this period.

Including this beautiful duaa, which Musa (a.s) made to Allah, before facing Firoun:
رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي
وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي
وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي
يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي
Rabbishrah lee sadree Wayassir lee amree Wahlul ‘uqdatan min lisanee Yafqahoo qawlee

“O my Sustainer! Open up my heart and make my task easy for me, and loosen the knot from my tongue so that they might fully understand my speech.”

All the best to my brothers and sisters, insha Allah.

Every success comes from Allah (subhanawataála). Without Him, nothing is possible. So dont forget to turn to Him, and ask HIM to make all your desires possible.....Allah loves those who turn to Him in need.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.