/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Psychology

*noor
05-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Assalamu alaikum pplz :)

I'm thinking about studying psychology in college and I have a question.
What are your views on studying psychology being against Islamic beliefs???
Do you agree?
Do you disagree?
Why?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
extinction
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
see sis I told you...no one has objections to it as of yet

*noor
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
thanks

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
Why would it be?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*noor
05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
somebody mentioned that it could be so i was just wondering.

extinction
05-01-2006, 08:54 PM
again like I told you dont listen to random people...if someone presents a strong strong proof then yes you should reconsider otherwise just nod your head and do what you want

*noor
05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
okay okay.....i got it hafizmo
its just that i keep on changing ma mind about majors cuz im not sure.......and its not only cuz someone said that psychology is against Islam
im just unsure about exactly what i want to study.

afriend
05-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I was told....So this is not my own opinion....But I heard it goes against Islamic beliefs....I'm not too sure about it myself...cos I want to do it myself....I think I'll give it a miss...just to be on the safe side...

extinction
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
okay okay.....i got it hafizmo
its just that i keep on changing ma mind about majors cuz im not sure.......and its not only cuz someone said that psychology is against Islam
im just unsure about exactly what i want to study.
I'm the same exact same!! everyone is always telling me why did you quit becoming an alim you already are a hafiz you were doing so good in becoming an alim you should go back to it you will regret it..everyday I think to myself well if I quit pharmacy then maybe I might start regretting this too....so better to regret one thing then two.....

*noor
05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
I'm the same exact same!! everyone is always telling me why did you quit becoming an alim you already are a hafiz you were doing so good in becoming an alim you should go back to it you will regret it..everyday I think to myself well if I quit pharmacy then maybe I might start regretting this too....so better to regret one thing then two.....
true......like my situation might be a bit easier because i didnt actually start anything......well i will have eight college credits at the end of this term, but thats not a lot anyways........i've thought of psychology, education, physical therapy, pharmacy, pediatrician, diagnostic medical sonography and a bunch of other stuff. i cant seem to make up my mind 100%.

afriend
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
LOL

Wow, that's a lot of subjects....Make instikhaarah, that will help you to make the right decision inshallah.

*noor
05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
LOL

Wow, that's a lot of subjects....Make instikhaarah, that will help you to make the right decision inshallah.
ive done istikhara for which college i should go to and i got a clear sign for that alhamdulillah.
ive done istikhara for majors too but for some reason im not getting clear signs.......maybe i should start undecided.

afriend
05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Well...I hope you make the right decisions.....everywhere....

*noor
05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
thanks......i hope the same for you.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
sis i had weak lame excuses lol im sry for causing a confusion. By all means study it and let me kno what u find out inshaAllah :)

Lina
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM

You can say that psychology today has a different view on achieving balance, it's the western, non-religious way of happines and 'mental health'
as to how we see it as 'Muslims'; Islam.

The Islamic view emphasizes the importance of growth, change, and learning in the formation of personality and behaviour rather than the realization of balance, which basically aims at relieving tension and achieving pleasure.
Despite the negative aspects in the personality and behaviour of man, the Islamic perspective of personality is more optimistic than that of some psychologists.It calls for optimism, the desertion of pessimism and ominousness and the surrender to despair, dejection, and bad dreams.
Dr. Mustapha Achoui

Psychology does not have to be agains Islamic beliefs because in a certain way you can achieve 'balance' with the knowledge of human psyche and the knowledge of islamic belief, it sets a certain way of understanding and mostly it confirmes Islam, it confirmes the islamic belief as the righteous path Insha'Allah.

Next to islamic studies, I find psychology to be very beneficial for your own mental islamic health Insha'Allah.
Wa Allah ou A'lam,

"O Mankind, We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is he who is the most righteous of you" (Quran - Chapter 49, verse 13)

Islamic Psychology; intriguing Subhan'Allah.

:w:

*noor
05-01-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
sis i had weak lame excuses lol im sry for causing a confusion. By all means study it and let me kno what u find out inshaAllah :)
don't apologize...........im not against you because of what you said......don't worry.......i was confused to begin with......its not your fault :)

*noor
05-01-2006, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

Next to islamic studies, I find psychology to be very beneficial for your own mental islamic health Insha'Allah.
Wa Allah ou A'lam,

i agree with this. not only that, but i'd be able to use it in everyday life. in the future if i get married and have children inshallah, i think having a strong background in psychology would benefit me in raising my children. i would have liked to study islamic studies but the closest college for that is in Virginia and my parents will not consider allowing me to study out of state. So i think pshychology works for me because it'll help me throughout my life and family inshallah.

Lina
05-01-2006, 09:41 PM
i agree with this. not only that, but i'd be able to use it in everyday life. in the future if i get married and have children inshallah, i think having a strong background in psychology would benefit me in raising my children. i would have liked to study islamic studies but the closest college for that is in Virginia and my parents will not consider allowing me to study out of state. So i think pshychology works for me because it'll help me throughout my life and family inshallah.

Read this and you'll Insha'Allah understand the difference between 'Islamic' psychology and 'western' psychology;

human_nature_comparative

we need 2 unite
05-01-2006, 10:25 PM
mashallah, i am currently studing psychology at uni and i find it very interesting, i also believe that it can be useful to help the islamic community as inshallah after a graduate i could use my degree islamicly, by this i mean, there will be muslim psychologist,/or psychatrists,/counsellor etc that the muslim society can go to

we need 2 unite
05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
sori my bad i forget to asalumu alaykum when i replied earlier anyway walaykum wasalam for now

extinction
05-02-2006, 04:33 AM
i mean, there will be muslim psychologist,/or psychatrists,/counsellor etc that the muslim society can go to
you plan on the future muslims to be loony? inshallah may Allah save me and the rest from ever having to see a shrink

shudnt_have
05-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Asalaamu alikum
I have been planning to study Child Psychology insha'allah. Since Sciences do me no good-it doesnt penetrate through my head. lol.

As far I have spoken to some ppl who intially planned on studying psy. they ve told me that..psy is mostly all abt experimentng with human mind..its all presumptions..i dont knw much to begin with..

but my personal opinion is that as long what we study we do it for sake of ALLAH and to benefit Islam. then its all good.

------
05-02-2006, 08:34 AM
What is Psychology :rollseyes Am lost agen :D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
What is Psychology :rollseyes Am lost agen :D
seriously? psychology is a study of the human psyche.... lol i bet sum1s gnna correct me :hiding:

Noora_z3
05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Assalamu alaikum pplz

Do you agree?
Do you disagree?
Why?
Salam Sister

I am v glad that u r considering to study Psychology. First its not against Islam. Secondly, u will be able to influnce ur socity positivly with Pscyhology.

Anyways, I got one concern " where r u planning to study Psychology?"
if u r plannin to study Psych in Western Univerisy, check the courses first. I have an Australian freind who traveld to Malaysia to study Pscyhology in "International islamic Univerisy" n her reason were that in Australia they teach v western type of psychology, with lots of un-islamic contents, n she said they r so much focused on "Homosextuals" n all that stuff.

My minro was Psychology, n fro my personal experiance i think its hard to study psychology without the Islamic point of view. If u think u can get that at ur institute...then go for it...if not...see if u can go to some Islamic institute to study that.

*noor
05-02-2006, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Salam Sister

I am v glad that u r considering to study Psychology. First its not against Islam. Secondly, u will be able to influnce ur socity positivly with Pscyhology.

Anyways, I got one concern " where r u planning to study Psychology?"
im planning to study psych in NYC, that's where i live and i am not planning on going out of state or anything.

M.I.A.
05-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Do you agree?
Do you disagree?
Why?
aslaam alaikum

with regards to your question i can only answer from my limited experience, i recently had to write my dissertation on a certain 'branch' of psychology namely the works of Gustav Jung and similarly connected people.
i can only say that it made me more aware of my own ego and in that respect i am greatful.
there were many things i came across which i pondered upon and not realy agreeing... set out on my own search for truth. since then i have read many things, often by chance, which have done much to strenghthen my own faith and bring me closer to the person i want to be.

i think you should go for it! if anything your faith will always allow you to question anything you do not see fit and you do not have to be afraid. this is my own view and im not sure if it is entirely right so feel free to make subjective criticism if i have said anything wrong.

many thanks

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I was thinking about it too. Is there anything wrong with it? My brother does cognitive science though, and some of the theories are really weird.

*noor
05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
aslaam alaikum

with regards to your question i can only answer from my limited experience, i recently had to write my dissertation on a certain 'branch' of psychology namely the works of Gustav Jung and similarly connected people.
i can only say that it made me more aware of my own ego and in that respect i am greatful.
there were many things i came across which i pondered upon and not realy agreeing... set out on my own search for truth. since then i have read many things, often by chance, which have done much to strenghthen my own faith and bring me closer to the person i want to be.

i think you should go for it! if anything your faith will always allow you to question anything you do not see fit and you do not have to be afraid. this is my own view and im not sure if it is entirely right so feel free to make subjective criticism if i have said anything wrong.

many thanks
nice way of looking at it brother.

Woodrow
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
An old retired Psychologist speaking here. One thing to keep in mind there are many fields of psychology. Most people are only aware of Clinical psychology and/or the various areas of "Pop" psychology.

Way back in the stone age, when I began my studies, there were over 80 recognised fields of psychology with at least 4 different disciplines in each field.

My self I studied in the area of physiological psychology and followed in the discipline of Dr. Jose Del Gado. This was essentialy the same as neurology, except I never got to operate on any live people LOL.

So getting down to "is the study of psychology wrong"? I think the answer would be it depends on what the student thinks it is and their reason for studying it.

If they believe they will be able to use it as a tool to manipulate people, then it is just as wrong as if they were studying chemistry for the purpose of learning to construct terroristic weapons.

*noor
05-18-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

So getting down to "is the study of psychology wrong"? I think the answer would be it depends on what the student thinks it is and their reason for studying it.

If they believe they will be able to use it as a tool to manipulate people, then it is just as wrong as if they were studying chemistry for the purpose of learning to construct terroristic weapons.

i see what you are saying and i agree with you. i know that you didn't ask, but my purpose for desiring to study psychology is that i want to better understand how the human mind works and why it works that way. I am fascinated with the human mind and i want to help those who have problems that need help and support . More importantly, I see psychology as a very important subject to study especially if you like being around people. If somebody studies psychology, they are more likely to be able to understand people and their actions.

lolwatever
05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
apart from some of freuds odd theories, alot of it is interesting stuff
psych is one of those "non mathematically precise" subjects, (except the bio perspective stuff), so some things might change over time
but definately it's not haram or wrong to study psychology

umm.. it can even be used as part of dawah, to fidn best approaches to people...

*noor
05-18-2006, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
umm.. it can even be used as part of dawah, to fidn best approaches to people...
yes, i have thought of that too. :)

Woodrow
05-18-2006, 11:20 PM
yes, i have thought of that too. :)
Nurofislam, based on your answers in this thread. I would suggest you select either Education or Sociology as your major and carry Psychology as a strong minor concentrating on Developmental psychology and Behaviorism.

Sadly, one of the strange artifacts of education is "The more qualifications a person acheives in their chosen field, the further removed they become from the reason they chose the field." Quote from one of my old professors (Brian Kovacs) Meaning if you achieve too much expertise in an area you end up as either a supervisor or teacher of the area, rather then being a practioner.

ISDhillon
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Go for it you'll make a packet there's enuff nutters in new york lol

*noor
05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISDhillon
there's enuff nutters in new york lol
excuse me????

manaal
08-04-2006, 03:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor

I think, I may be wrong, that this comes from the idea that Sigmund Freud had a weired way of interepreting human thoughts, you the id, ego thing. I don;t agree with most of it.

Has anyone read, Freud's interpretation of dreams? I haven;t. But is it against what Prophet Muhammad (sal) has said about dreams?

But other than Freud, Psych is alright.

mlsh27
08-04-2006, 04:09 AM
I am a psychology major myself, hoping to study primate intelligence, consciousness, & cognition. I love the field and do not think it goes against Islam. There are many theorists out there that seem odd or eccentric, but when you really understand what they are getting at, it is very intriguing. Basically, it various models of how to explain human thought and behavior.

Woodrow
08-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Keep in mind Psychology is the newest field of science to be explored. Freuds contribution is that he removed it from phylosophy into the realm of quantifiable data. His work initiated the system of measurement for behavior. It is still a developing and growing field. Nearly all who enter into the field are still basicaly pioneer researchers.

There are many fields populary believed to be psychology, but they are as far removed from psychology as astrology is from astronomy.

It is a very interesting and honorable field of study, as long as it is learned through a bonafide university and not through some pseudo-metaphysical organization.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:27 AM
^^ tiny correction, economics is the newest science ;) i agree with the rest tho, cool stuff :)

but psychology.. is what it is.. psychology... it's like trying to argue that economics is haram, it's not the economics or psychology that's Haram, it's how it's approached and used.

salamz

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^^ tiny correction, economics is the newest science ;) i agree with the rest tho, cool stuff :)

but psychology.. is what it is.. psychology... it's like trying to argue that economics is haram, it's not the economics or psychology that's Haram, it's how it's approached and used.

salamz
tiny correction, economics is the newest science ;) i agree with the rest tho, cool stuff :)

I stand corrected. But, I always tried to ignore economics

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I stand corrected. But, I always tried to ignore economics
:haha: lol!

Looking4Peace
08-05-2006, 05:12 AM
it definatley doesnt go against Islam, and maybe your too fresh in college to realize that psy is a huge subject with many different jobs not just one general occupation, your gonna tell me helping abused or mentally ill children is going against Islam? this is the field im going in, if im being unislamic, well thats just strange and i would need a source to back it up, real not opinion.

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
it definatley doesnt go against Islam, and maybe your too fresh in college to realize that psy is a huge subject with many different jobs not just one general occupation, your gonna tell me helping abused or mentally ill children is going against Islam? this is the field im going in, if im being unislamic, well thats just strange and i would need a source to back it up, real not opinion.
? I can not find one post on this thread that said psychology is haraam. It appears to be the general consensus that it is not.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 05:28 AM
^yeh i second that.. psychology is the "study of mind dynamics"... what's so haram about that? just like teh way economics is study of the interactions between supplier, consumer and government...

some of the theories might be against Islamic teachings, but that's all they are.. theories.. nothign else.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.