/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that bye means "fi hafzil baba"

syilla
05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
i got this from our local forum...

is it true that 'bye'(saying farewell) means 'fi hafzil baba" (they say it means under the pope supervision:rollseyes )

i want some clarification here:? ...pls help...

thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 03:37 PM
LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes thats just about what it means but I've never heard people use that before? Ni perkataan special for Orang Melayu ke Akak? ;D ;D

The "normal" words for bye are:

Ma'assalamah : مع السلامة
Fi Amanillah : في امان الله

But Allahu A'lam.........maybe some people do use this 'Fe Hifzil Baba' = في حفظ البابا But they most definitely wouldn't be Muslims..... ;D lol I'm still laughing

Anyone out there with more information?

syilla
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
where are you staying... maybe i should pay you to be my personal arabic tutor...:statisfie

we'll wait n c 4 the others to answer...

but thank you so much....

syilla
05-03-2006, 03:48 PM
they say it is 'jarum sulit kristian' - the christian secret needle .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Oh.........right now I'm living in Nassau, Bahamas, so I dont think I can be a tutor for you......

But hujung tahun nii I"m going back home to Malaysia Insha'allah, and I was planning on doing tutoring in English and Arabic anyway!! :p so if Akak wants a tutor feel free to get in touch with me lol ;) I will be living In Melaka though....

Anyway I know you were just joking right ;)

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
they say it is 'jarum sulit kristian' - the christian secret needle .

OoooH Begini ye.......like this ya, I understand now, Then betullah tu, That's right . Fi Hifz al-Baba would mean " under the protection of the Pope" because Al-Baba means 'The Pope' :)

Betullah tu Akak ;) That's what the Christians say only.

I guess its just the same as how we say : Fi Amanillah which means ' Under Allahs Protection '

IbnAbdulHakim
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
doesnt baba mean dad :?

syilla
05-03-2006, 04:10 PM
sigh... u r staying in Melaka...:'(

that'll be too far you to travel here in petaling jaya...:hmm:

unless you're willing to... but i'm not sure i can pay that much (rm200 for the petrol, rm 200 for the tutoring, rm100 for the meal and etc...:eek: )

anyway... u r good in bm

nice knowing you...

thank you so much for the translation....

syilla
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
hmmm...

so is this meaning i shouldn't be saying bye-bye...from now onwards..

*another thing is... i'm not joking...i've no time 4 arabic classes... unless there will b a personal tutor 4 me.

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
doesnt baba mean dad :?
Yeah........many Arabs use the word Baba for Dad. However the Fushaa is to say Abii

Well anyway, AlBaba means The Pope :)

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 04:23 PM
sigh... u r staying in Melaka...:'(

that'll be too far you to travel here in petaling jaya...:hmm:

unless you're willing to... but i'm not sure i can pay that much (rm200 for the petrol, rm 200 for the tutoring, rm100 for the meal and etc...:eek: )

anyway... u r good in bm

nice knowing you...

thank you so much for the translation....

Alamak!! Jauhnyerrrrr.....hai....nampaknye kena cancel lah tutoring B.Arab kalau macam ni ye?:hiding:

Lagipun, dont talk about costs and all of that lah Ukhti, you make me shy you know when you mention about all of that :-[

Anyway, Maybe I can still meet you when I go back to Malaysia because I always go to K.L to visit my relatives there..........who knows right ;)

So from now on you should say Fi Amanillah ye Ukhti? instead of this Fi Hifzil Baba because it has nothing to do with Islam :happy: ataupun........the best of all is to say "Assalamu'aliakum" ;)

syilla
05-03-2006, 04:42 PM
or maybe i can learn arabic... here in this forum with you

;-)

the problem i had is learning arabic in arabic font and not quranic font...

they're both different rite?

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Arabic font and Qur'anic Font are different? :?

Mmmmm.......no not exactly?

Although Maybe Qur'anic Font is more......decorative?

Although it's just the same basically Ukhti :)

But yes I agree with you, learn Arabic online Ukhti!! not only with me (lol) but with all the other brothers and sisters here.......and I"m sure there are lots of other onl ine methods to learn Arabic with Insha'allah

But if you can find a personal tutor for yourself in Petaling Jaya that would be best, because theres nothing like learning from the "live" real method right :p

rubiesand
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
'Bye' is the short way of saying 'Good-bye'

Good-bye is the shortened way of saying 'God be with ye' (you).

Where did this thing about the Pope come into it? Sounds like a bit of an urban legend to me, possibly?

Muslimaatan
05-09-2006, 02:02 AM
looooolzz..never herdd of that..albaba?? lolzzzzzzz....////--

Woodrow
05-27-2006, 05:28 AM
i got this from our local forum...

is it true that 'bye'(saying farewell) means 'fi hafzil baba" (they say it means under the pope supervision:rollseyes )

i want some clarification here:? ...pls help...

thank you
If you are refering to the English word by, It is a shortened version of goodbye, Which was originaly the Old English form of "God be with you" (was probably originaly pronounced "Gott by yee"

Wouldn't the closer Arabic interpretation be "Asalaamu"

aina sofea
06-10-2006, 06:16 AM
salam..
so i'm quite confuse..we can use 'bye' or not? (want a 'yes' or 'no' answer)
the word too familiar in my daily life...quite hard to get rid of it..but sure can..

dianputri
06-10-2006, 06:25 AM
:sl:

ya,,sometimes if I finished talk with a muslim outside my country, if I want to finish my conversation and said Assalamualaikum, sometimes they answer Walaikumssalam but sometimes they Answer Allah HAfiz or KHuda Hafiz which is I don't know what is mean......:D

Lotfijen
06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Assalam Alaykom Brothers..
First of all, as i searched a bit in the internet, there's nothing mentionning the pope in the translation of "bye", it's originally from the expression "God Be With You" which turnet later to change the word God by Good.. and the Be With You, to Be with Ye and B/Ye so GoodBYe. no such thing as Pope or papa or baba in this expression, we have to investigate the facts not just "accept" anything and trust anyone saying any "discovery".
as for the arabic, I am arabic speaker and for the word Pope, in arabic as in many other languages even latin origins it's pronounced "papa" (for example Greek language which I speak as well , its said Papas, in serbian said papa, and i think also in scandinavian languages too but im not sure), in arabic language there's no such letter as "p" and it's pronounced "B", even many arabs can't spell that letter when talking english and they just pronounce it as "B" instead of "P".
any question about arabic language it would be my pleasure to answer as much as it's for muslims good.
May Allah bless you and be with you.
Lotfi.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.