/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Talking quickly but clearly?

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 12:13 AM
man i hav this problem n its finally getting annoying

does anyone hav the prob of feeling that time is going too fast? and so it lends to the problem of speaking 300 words per second? and hence you cut words half way when you speak... and so people occasionally (or frequently) ask you to repeat the word?

it gets on my nerves sometimes... i developed that i think due to me not liking listenign to people going on and on and on for too long about a point, so i started to think 'they probably feel the same too'.. so i began to speedup with what i say..

i kinda regret it now... coz it also means i say things b4 i think about whether i should or not.. and hence some people might regard me as abraisive.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdullah4ever
05-07-2006, 12:16 AM
:sl:

Yes that tends to happen to me too... apperently i talk too fast ....

akulion
05-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Speech should be simple and silence is golden [Prophet Solomon (s)]

Live by that principle and u shall never find urself at a loss no matter what people say :)

Mawaddah
05-07-2006, 12:27 AM
People often tend to ask me to repeat what I say
I find it pretty distressing.........because I'm a teacher and I really really worry that I may be talking too fast for my students.
So I have to try really hard on concentrating on speaking clearly and at a normal pace....I'm trying though, and I'm improving alhamdulillah. But it's still hard

But yeah, I find it pretty annoying when people speak slow and drawling too lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
05-07-2006, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
Speech should be simple and silence is golden [Prophet Solomon (s)]

Live by that principle and u shall never find urself at a loss no matter what people say :)

I do speak in simple words - i get annoyed when people try flex their vocab muscles at me even though i may understand their jargon - but the worsssst bit is

when u say a joke n the person is like 'huh wat did u say' .. lol that's soooo embaressing. :offended: :grumbling

AsilahRanaPeople often tend to ask me to repeat what I say
I find it pretty distressing.........because I'm a teacher and I really really worry that I may be talking too fast for my students.
So I have to try really hard on concentrating on speaking clearly and at a normal pace....I'm trying though, and I'm improving alhamdulillah. But it's still hard

But yeah, I find it pretty annoying when people speak slow and drawling too lol.
lol yeh that's so true.. i tutor a bit but the problem doesnt occur as much coz i always try find teh simplest words to use so that takes time and so apparently i pass the message pretty well... i tend to introduce the technical terms only once ive xplained it in simple primary school english.

oh and you bet! i get veeeery frustrated when i'm pinned infront of someone and they're speaking at 5 words a minute and in between every word is this long 'aaahhh weellll you seeeeeeeee lolwhateverrr i ammm trying to conveyyyyyyyy the ideaaa that ahhh i speeakkk at ummmm ahh ayyy reaaasonabbbbbble rateee'

cheese might know one such person from college ;D
but yeh it gets really annoying.

oh the point is (lol im guilty of that too!) how did u slow urself down?

SirZubair
05-07-2006, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

Yes that tends to happen to me too... apperently i talk too fast ....
Are you sure they're not really saying "Dont talk with your mouth full of fat beef burgers Abdullah.." ? :p

Muslimaatan
05-07-2006, 02:57 AM
lolz...i talk fast sometimes..but ppl understand me tho..i was watchin this show where ppl talk maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad fast..i was stuck doin that 4 like a week..lolzz..

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 03:53 AM
lucky you, hwo exactly do you talk without chopping words?
i need advise that's the point of this lol!

Muslimaatan
05-07-2006, 04:03 AM
lolz..dis friend of minez is like dat..she talkz maddd fast n chopz halfa da sentence off..she ALWAYZ have 2 repeat herself..n still..wen shez slow she speeds at da end n eats halfa wat shez sayin..itz madd funnyy wen she answers a question, or has a comment..we waste halfa da period juss 2 understand wat she said..lolzz

Abdullah4ever
05-07-2006, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Are you sure they're not really saying "Dont talk with your mouth full of fat beef burgers Abdullah.." ? :p

Looool.....

SirZubair
05-07-2006, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

Looool.....
You're a crazy canadian chicken criticizer.. :hiding:

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 05:04 AM
lol you should c my handwriting it's so bad coz of it.. my hand cant cope with my mind... my science teacher use to say to me 'mate you rush rush rush no wokring out no nothing i feel sorry for you you're going to lose alot of marks in ur final exam like this'

lol coz i barely show working out i skip every second step lol...

PS: alot of my teachers literally felt sorry for me lol.

Mawaddah
05-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Edit

IbnAbdulHakim
05-07-2006, 10:20 AM
if u feel that way then just talk slow :?

Mawaddah
05-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Bro didn't we say that we're trying..............It just doesn't come so easy if you're too used to it

Malaikah
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
if u feel that way then just talk slow :?

:giggling: if only life was that simple! i guess the only way you can control it is to try to be aware of the fact that you talk too fast and try to slow down, and maybe you can get your friends to constanly remind you to slow down.

------
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
When u speak, just think in your head....slowly.....slowly....slowly.........LOL ;D

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 11:15 AM
indeed if only life was that simple

i told my uni tutor about it and she said that her supervisor for her math phD commented she should apply for disability consideration when she told him "her hand has been slower than her mind ever since she was little" and she was very :offended: and :rant: at him.

if i was in her position i would have been greatful to the fella lol ;D i actually asked my coordinator in final year college if i could apply for handwriting disability and he seriously considered it for a moment till he told me the IBO didnt consider it a disability.... it was comforting that they also didnt consider it as an excsue to mark an answer wrong :hiding: :statisfie .

Anways thank you for all your advises... but you know, one thing!! this world is very full of people who are not upfront!!!!!!! I also want to know if im boring people to death when i speak to them at a 'reasonable rate' lol!! :grumbling

argghhh... my bro is calling me.. ok ..slowly.. slowly...... sloowly..

Umar001
05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
yeaithappenstomewithtypingitypesofastbeforeithinkt hatiforgettoputthespacesbetweenwhichprobablygetsir ritatingsiguessitsjustme

*noor
05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
yea, i have this problem too. i speak way too quickly sometimes. even in my English class when i volunteer to read aloud, everyone looks at me and tells me to slow down. i say that they're too slow and then my friend tells me that im just too fast and that shes the only one that can understand me cuz we're on the phone all of the time and shes used to hearing me talk really fast.

Sunflower
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
yea i get that to apprently im such a fast speaker but i think that is only coz of the way i speak in my language if i was to speak slow then id feel i was going backwards but u no there is an advatge..when im speaking to my mum no-one undrstnds and that is such a good point isnt it??..but personally?...i think its all down to genes in my family anyway.. from my dads side i dont no of one person who doesnt speak fast..we manage to speak many sentences without taking a breath. Weird?? yea i fink so 2:giggling:

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
yeaithappenstomewithtypingitypesofastbeforeithinkt hatiforgettoputthespacesbetweenwhichprobablygetsir ritatingsiguessitsjustme
lol geez you got a problem never seen before :rollseyes

yeh muslimah4eva i can speak for a fair bit of time without taking a breath... but isnt there any speech therapist around hereee... oh infact, do speech therapists help for this sorta thing?!?!?!

i might hav to book a visit lol.

nour of islam,lol english classes... what english classes.. i skipped most of my english classes towards the end of college ;D ;D ;D its sooo boring.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-07-2006, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
When u speak, just think in your head....slowly.....slowly....slowly.........LOL ;D
lol then they'll end up speakin like bush, lol they'll listen to there earphones b4 speakin for 10 seconds lol, lets not think too slowly now :p

lolwatever
05-07-2006, 09:59 PM
for a moment i thought you where referring to bush bush. you know.. the bush.. the forest bush

oh now i get it.. that bush... he's a cute public speaker :giggling: :rollseyes ;D :hiding:

lol ok now i need helpppp.. more advise quick! hehe

IbnAbdulHakim
05-07-2006, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
for a moment i thought you where referring to bush bush. you know.. the bush.. the forest bush

oh now i get it.. that bush... he's a cute public speaker :giggling: :rollseyes ;D :hiding:

lol ok now i need helpppp.. more advise quick! hehe
ye monkeys are kinda cute... i gess ;D

broth3r Ali
05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
salaam

i know this bro that must hold the world record for talking at the highest speed ever possible. Alhumdolillah he's an awesome dude, simply rocks!!! but just watching him give a presentation is breathtaking man!! <<<<serious!!! :X
He has improved a great deal over the year ive known him mashallah! But mann sometimes he has us sitting on the edge of the seat praying to the all mighty that he remembers to breathe!! <<<<:heated: in regards to him, i think a lot of it does come down to nerves though!!!

lolwatever
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
lol so true.. i was talking to one of my friends.. and one of his friends came in and was listenign to me

and after i finished, the guy who knew me goes to the other one "have you ever seen anyone speak for such sustained periods of......... umm.. brilliance!?"

lol so i guess i fit into that context hehe ;D

cheese reckons im not that bad, but she speaks fast too! :X

do fast speakers tend to understand each others talk comapred 2 non fast speakers?

broth3r Ali
05-08-2006, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
lol so true.. i was talking to one of my friends.. and one of his friends came in and was listenign to me

and after i finished, the guy who knew me goes to the other one "have you ever seen anyone speak for such sustained periods of......... umm.. brilliance!?"

lol so i guess i fit into that context hehe ;D

cheese reckons im not that bad, but she speaks fast too! :X

do fast speakers tend to understand each others talk comapred 2 non fast speakers?
^^^ ;D good question

my niece speaks really fast!! most of the time she doesnt make much sense. :hiding: I have to constantly remind her to BRAKEEE and think about what she wants to say before talking and speak in full sentences!! :X
i know a few people who fit into the 'fast speech' category. just curious >>>>>>> generally speaking do you find that some people that speak fast 1) go off topic a lot , 2) repeat themselves a lot?? :?

Hajar
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah i have the problem of talking fast when im enthousiastic about something lol.. but even then its clearly, i think haha

lolwatever
05-08-2006, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by broth3r Ali
>>>>>>> generally speaking do you find that some people that speak fast 1) go off topic a lot , 2) repeat themselves a lot?? :?
Yehh u got a point, dont take my answer for fact, but i hav a feeling that i always answer questions in more detail than others, at the same time... i cant think of a way to compress what i want to say:? but maybe that's just me thinking that the 10 secodn reply i gave was one hour lol....

(i have a massive problem getting my head around time... if u tell me "ill b back in5"... i start thinking after 1min 'he said he'll be back in 5 where is he now')

lol anyway.. you all have that problem man!!! anyone with solution!!

lol Hajar isnt that normal tho to speak fsat when ur hyped? i speak fastER when im hyped lol. :offended:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.