/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Political threads

glo
05-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Greetings, Mods

I am a little concerned about some threads with what I would class as politically inflammatory content.
As I understand it this forum aims to teach the basics of Islam - not to be politically divisive.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Greetings glo,

Thank you for your concern in this matter. We have been made aware of such threads and we will act to crack down on the issue, God-Willing, as you rightly said, this forum aims to teach the basics of Islam.

Warm Regards.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, but Islam is complete and covers all matters. It's not seperation of church from state. So i think it is relevant. Why else is there a world affairs section?
:w:

glo
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Yes, but Islam is complete and covers all matters. It's not seperation of church from state. So i think it is relevant. Why else is there a world affairs section?
As a non-Muslim I sometimes find it intimidating when threads seem to indicate that 'being a non-Muslim equals being the enemy'.
It makes it very difficult to keep an open mind about and to understand the religion, when there are strong political undercurrents ...

This is just my personal view, but I felt strongly enough about it to raise it with the mods.
It seems I am not the only one who feels that way.

Blessings. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings glo,

Thank you for your concern in this matter. We have been made aware of such threads and we will act to crack down on the issue, God-Willing, as you rightly said, this forum aims to teach the basics of Islam.

Warm Regards.
Thank you, Muhammad.
:)

afriend
05-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes...I hope that you see how Islam encompasses all walks of life...not just prayer.....

Islam is a perfect way of life...Not just restricted to the Mosques....

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Non-Muslims certainly are not the enemy. I'm sorry if you get this impression from some Muslims (hopefully not me). But it's true, things can get pretty heated in any debate.
-Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
i dont speak for others but i look to every human as a possible muslim of the future! Therefore i try to speak in a friendly manner and neva offensive. dawa is the main thing ;)

Im sry if i ever came across offensive to you whos so polite glo :)

:peace: :)

Muhammad
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
:sl:

That is very true, and people are quite free to discuss current affairs in that section, but sometimes people can go overboard with regards to criticism of political leaders, which has little benefit, or exaggerating in an Islamic principle - especially when more important things come first. Many times people speak without knowledge, which is perhaps the main problem that leads to all the rest.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
That's true. Insha-Allah you can deal with it on a thread-by-thread basis.

IceQueen~
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
i dont speak for others but i look to every human as a possible muslim of the future! Therefore i try to speak in a friendly manner and neva offensive. dawa is the main thing ;)

:peace: :)
so true!

IceQueen~
05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
As a non-Muslim I sometimes find it intimidating when threads seem to indicate that 'being a non-Muslim equals being the enemy'.
It makes it very difficult to keep an open mind about and to understand the religion, when there are strong political undercurrents ...

This is just my personal view, but I felt strongly enough about it to raise it with the mods.
It seems I am not the only one who feels that way.

Blessings. :)
being non-muslim does NOT equal being the enemy because the enemy is the one who after fully understanding islam and knowing it is the truth then rejects it and hides the truth on purpous...

glo
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Non-Muslims certainly are not the enemy. I'm sorry if you get this impression from some Muslims (hopefully not me). But it's true, things can get pretty heated in any debate.
-Peace
Greetings. :)

No, you have not given me the impression that non-Muslims are enemies.

But I am acutely aware that political topics can easily be inflammatory and get out of hand.
For example, I understand people's concern about the involvement of the USA and Britain in the Iraq war. I am sure that I share many of those concerns, as do many other non-Muslims I know.
Nothing wrong with sharing those concerns ... but it becomes all to easy to fall into the trap of thinking that 'all Americans are X', or 'all Brits do Y', or 'all non-Muslims think Z'.

This is not a Muslim issue, of course! It is human thinking! We all do it - putting people into boxes is a way of making sense of a complicated world, and it is a tough thing to avoid! :rollseyes

I just feel that the climate of this forum is so welcoming, open and friendly ... and it would be a shame to spoil that by making divisive comments about other groups of people.
Perhaps all it needs is for us to gently remind each other when we get carried away in the heat of the moment.
I know that I do well receiving a little gentle correction at times! :rollseyes :giggling:

Peace.

glo
05-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Actually, I do have my moments, too! :rollseyes :giggling:

See my post to Mu'MiNaH.
thanks for your comments. :)

peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Perhaps all it needs is for us to gently remind each other when we get carried away in the heat of the moment.
that hit the target :), we need to all look out 4 each other right :)

:peace:!!

------
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
...........:?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
...........:?
she means wen we all get too excited and passionate we kinda lose sight of what other people may think. For example i got a bit to hyped wiv the thot of evolution and refered it to as ridiculous as a child sayin the toilet once spoke. We need watch wat we say lol, also lets handle the word kuffar wiv care

**fragile**

IceQueen~
05-09-2006, 12:34 PM
that hit the target :), we need to all look out 4 each other right :)

:peace:!!
right-"a muslim is a mirror to another muslim"

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Too many people think that kaafir is a swear word, it just means 'disbeliever'. Chill out peepz!:giggling:
And yes, we do need to remind each other when things get out of hand.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Too many people think that kaafir is a swear word, it just means 'disbeliever'. Chill out peepz!:giggling:
lol but u gotta admit its used in a derogetarive manner so lets try to consider the other peoples views n feelings b4 usin it

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
HeiGou calls himself a kaafir all the time:p.
And i think we getting off-topic.

glo
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
she means wen we all get too excited and passionate we kinda lose sight of what other people may think.
Thanks for clarifying that.
That's exactly what I meant.:)

With hindsight I realise that the expression 'getting carried way in the heat of the moment' wasn't the clearest way to put it. :rollseyes

Peace.

glo
05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I must admit, I also assumed that kaafir was a derogatory expression.
Well, as they say ... you learn something new every day! :statisfie

Peace.

Muezzin
05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Ding ding ding! You hit the jackpot!

Moderating the World Affairs section, ugh.... I should have become a fireman. Less hassle. :p

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, i don't think i would enjoy being mod (not that i would ever be elected). It's alot of responsibility and no pay. Hehe.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah, i don't think i would enjoy being mod (not that i would ever be elected). It's alot of responsibility and no pay. Hehe.

My opinion doesnt matter but your refutations and such seem on the spot, i see no reason why u shouldnt be elected. Now we're getting into LI politics!!!

Khadeejah
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
lol......We should becareful of what we say seriously we all have our moments where we go a little or alot overboard.....but sometimes muslims go past overboard.....I have heard Muslims call non muslims, filthy dirty pigs and so on....and although you or anyone you know may have not done it....people generalize and they will start to think after they hear it for awhile everyone does it...and Kafir and kufar we use alot sometimes....and sometimes too much!....and non muslims dont know our terminology so you could basically be cursing at them because they do not understand..... we should be concerned with not only hurting the feelings of muslims but of non muslims as well

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm too much of a rebel you see.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm too much of a rebel you see.

Sister that is not a good thing neither is it something to be proud of!
We have been given free choice to act with understanding, we arent supposed to rebel against everything but come to common terms. Only if people oppress us to the limit where we cant practise our fard duties should we rebel.

I apologise for any harshness.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I was joking. But good advice all the same.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't sound right without the smilies do I?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't sound right without the smilies do I?

lol is the use of smilies banned now? :p

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Well I made an oath, so as to prevent myself from using inappropriate smilies at brothers. It's something us sisters were discussing.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
^

Respect :thumbs_up!

Muezzin
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khadeejah
lol......We should becareful of what we say seriously we all have our moments where we go a little or alot overboard.....but sometimes muslims go past overboard.....I have heard Muslims call non muslims, filthy dirty pigs and so on....and although you or anyone you know may have not done it....people generalize and they will start to think after they hear it for awhile everyone does it...and Kafir and kufar we use alot sometimes....and sometimes too much!....and non muslims dont know our terminology so you could basically be cursing at them because they do not understand..... we should be concerned with not only hurting the feelings of muslims but of non muslims as well
Exactly. See how the Prophet (saw) treated everyone with kindness, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

As to the topic, political discussions are volatile by their very nature, but this is no excuse for their participants to completely lose it.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Exactly. See how the Prophet (saw) treated everyone with kindness, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

As to the topic, political discussions are volatile by their very nature, but this is no excuse for their participants to completely lose it.

I feel obligated to say May Allah grant our beloved prophet and all the sahabi and sahabiyats pure peace in jannatul firdaus AMEEN :'(

Darkseid
05-12-2006, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khadeejah
We are all humans. We all make mistakes, if we didn't have these little quarks that made us unique, then we would all be boring and uninteresting. So I think we should be glad that the great one established us all with our own individual uniqueness. Just as long we understand we don't try to go to far with our uniqueness.

"I have heard Muslims call non muslims, filthy dirty pigs and so on."

Well Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance. It's establishment was to correct the path man was suppose to be on with Allah. So it corrected many of the errors that previous versions didn't do away with. One of such errors as seen in the Christian bible, was the view on Jews from Judas. The Christian Bible from one of it's own gospels depicted one of the twelve followers of Jesus as a heretic. And that image of Jews from Judas just stuck in the minds of some Christians.

I don't think "those" muslims are "true" muslims. I even watched a documentary on the National Geographic Channel, a mullah said that Islam is suppose to be the religion of peace. And that those that dare to defy such are not true muslims, they are radicals trying to misuse the message of the prophet for their own selfish and self-centered gains. Of course most of them are brainwashed into thinking of such because the government that they live in thinks it's a good way to promote nationalism. But as he had said it is not true Islam. Islam does not ask for you to criticize other religions or to try and eliminate them. But some people just can't accept that, because they think they are doing some divine good even though they are actually destroying the foundation.

"people generalize and they will start to think after they hear it for awhile everyone does it."

Well I don't know about all accounts of Islamic communities. I do know that people in Iran believe they should be a super power or atleast a first world nation. And since that has not occur, they blame their inability to be the greatest on the Americans. Because they see the Americans are the greatest. They don't even know most of America, particularly in the South is just as bad as a third world nation.

I mean the power lines we have in Virginia are no different than what you could find in West Africa and our water is about as polluted as it is in India and our streets are full of garbage and so on and so on and so on. I even had converse with a foriegn exchange student from West Africa that was shock to see little if any difference between the Southern Eastern states of America with that of West Africa.

But yes incase you didn't know, even though America is a first world nation, alot of it in the South is no different from that of the 3rd world nations in Africa and the Middle East and any other part of the world. I only wish that the people of Iran knew that not all of America is much different from them. We even have those in our own nation that want Bush dead.

So people really are no different in the long run, regardless of what they feel about another nation. But the thing is people have to blame someone for their problems, instead of accepting the facts and trying to find a means of establishing a better community.

"we should be concerned with not only hurting the feelings of muslims but of non muslims as well"

I agree... I believe the great one wanted us to behave ourselves and to tolerated the differences of others and that eventually the great message will become whole with the human race. But you can't simply criticize someone, because when you introduce a faith to someone you act as it's represenative. So when they look at that faith they are looking at you and view that faith off of you. I mean that's where some of the intolerance to muslims comes from. Some of it comes from the need to establish a scapegoat from life problems and the other comes from viewing history, which sort of creates a stereotype. But that's all human nature.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.