/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice

seeker_of_ilm
05-08-2006, 05:06 PM
:sl:

Well basically, I'm studying AS levels right now. And I am hoping to finish A2 with good grades. However, I also want to do well in islamic education (finishing Hifz inshallah) and so after A2, I want to take 2 years to complete the quran in an islamic institute of learning, probably in South Africa.

Would it be easy to get in to University after 2 years out? Would I be at any disadvantage in applications? Or should I perhaps just either do a degree straight after A2, or just do hifz, and then go into Aalim.

Also what careers are good to go into these days, in terms of prospects and money, i.e. When my uncle was my age, Pharmacy was the way to go in terms of demand, prospects, money etc

Now of course the decision is obviously mine, but I am just asking for a bit of advice on the matter :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musaafirah
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
wicked question..thing is what type of subject are you going to go into..if it's sciences..u'll find it a bit harder to refocus in uni..whereas arts isn't so bad..
but doing hifz WOW! go for it..
u won't find it difficult to apply at all! jus say u wanted an all round balanced education wen u apply! but u won't be at a disadvantage at all insha'allah!
:w:

Kittygyal
05-08-2006, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Well basically, I'm studying AS levels right now. And I am hoping to finish A2 with good grades. However, I also want to do well in islamic education (finishing Hifz inshallah) and so after A2, I want to take 2 years to complete the quran in an islamic institute of learning, probably in South African.

Would it be easy to get in to University after 2 years out? Would I be at any disadvantage in applications? Or should I perhaps just either do a degree straight after A2, or just do hifz, and then go into Aalim.

Also what careers are good to go into these days, in terms of prospects and money, i.e. When my uncle was my age, Pharmacy was the way to go in terms of demand, prospects, money etc

Now of course the decision is obviously mine, but I am just asking for a bit of advice on the matter :)

salam.
well bro my advice is to go down for hifz and then for Aalim if i knew what that was :(
but at the end of the day bro i want to make this clear working is not only about money you see i am a career with 6th formers and also i have worked with little people in the past and still do when i have to cover but you need to take this out of your head cause you will struggle to find a job if you are very concernd over money we all know once money comes in our hand we love it but then again working for money is just hopeless but yes i will agree in one way where you don't get ripped off but bro i maybe older than you god knows but as a result for me ''money'' is nothing but opinions are just different but bro i had my interview today in bristol cause that's where i am currently living and i got my job in a breevement centre that is a place where you give advice and also meet new people and share your ideas and lisetn to others and have feelings for others i got this job cause i love communicating and contributing whereas many people are opposite to me but the only advice i will give you is to go for the job that will suit you and that will help you and the other's around you and also go for a job that will be handy in the future and the job you want for your career :)
bro all i can say you need good qualifications and good association with others i hope it goes all well :)
if you have any questions regarding to what i have said please feel free to reffer back indeed :)
w.salam

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Once you get your grades from your A'level you will be able to get into university whenever you want. i am at uni myslef and their are people here of all ages some come to uni after settling with their familes, some staright from college, some decide to go to university because they want to get into a new career and so on.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Once you get your grades from your A'level you will be able to get into university whenever you want. i am at uni myslef and their are people here of all ages some come to uni after settling with their familes, some staright from college, some decide to go to university because they want to get into a new career and so on.
salam.
yes that is true most people go to college either got poor grade and now regret it so want to carry on to the furtue or maybe because college is interesting :p
but uni is relly good but therefore wait till you get your results if you got poor results then go to coolege cause you can NOT reset them again but if you have got good results then go for it :)
may god help you in every lil way he can and bless you (amin)
w.salam

seeker_of_ilm
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Hmm...I was thinking of going into Optometry inshallah. Anyone know much about it?

Abdullah4ever
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM

I am planning to finish the quran first insha'allah then go to homeschool or cyber school or one of those mail school thingys so that i dont get involved in the fitnah of those high-schools and then take alim courses while i am doing my high-school :). Well thats what im going to do

Abdullah4ever
05-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Bro, how much of the qruan do u know

Kittygyal
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM

Hmm...I was thinking of going into Optometry inshallah. Anyone know much about it?
salam.
bro Optometry is a very good job mashalah it will be very nice if you did that and if you are very keen on that also Optometrists are experts in determining one's refractive error and prescribing the appropriate correction. In the United States they perform comprehensive eye exams and diagnose and treat many of the most common eye disorders whether they be visual or physical. As with all medical practitioners, referrals are made when more specialized care is needed.
wish you good luk :)
also these are very useful in the site i have give you
OPTOMETRY
UNDERGRADUATE COURSES USUALLY REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION
ADDITIONAL UNDERGRADUATE COURSES USUALLY RECOMMENDED
AVERAGE UNDERGRADUATE GPA OF SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE
UNDERGRADUATE MAJOR
ADMISSIONS TEST REQUIRED
OAT SCORES REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION
APPLICATION SERVICE USED
TYPICAL OPTOMETRY SCHOOL ADMISSION FEES
APPROXIMATE TUITION COSTS PER YEAR
LENGTH OF TIME TO OBTAIN DEGREE
AVERAGE INDEBTEDNESS UPON GRADUATION
A TYPICAL TIMETABLE FOR PRE-OPTOMETRY ADMISSIONS APPLICATIONS
SBU ACCEPTANCE RATES
MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS OF INTEREST
WHY SBU?
INTERNET RESOURCES FOR PRE-OPTOMETRY STUDENTS

if this is useful then please go to the site www.sbuniv.edu/~ggray/preoptom.html - 25k
w.salam

seeker_of_ilm
05-08-2006, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

Bro, how much of the qruan do u know

I know 5 Juz so far...which I learn in the last 5 months. But I'm finding it kind of tiring and hard to cope with both College and Hifz. So I'm thinking of concentrating on college for the remaining year and a bit. And then concentrate on Hifz inshallah. And THEN go to uni...study optometry...

seeker_of_ilm
05-12-2006, 05:47 PM

I'm so damn confused about what I want to do. Got my family pressing me to chose a path. I want to study hifz after college, and then aalim. However my family want me to go straight to University, study optometry, get a masters and Phd. And a lot of other people say "We need more muslims in research". I just don't know what to do
Any advice? Anything really

A(SMILE ITS ME)
05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
salam,
i can only say study, whilst ur younger u have less responsibilties. get ur education behind u,.
I wouldn't reccomend a gap yr.
may ALLAH guide u

IbnAbdulHakim
05-12-2006, 06:32 PM

Akhee i am young and inexperienced but you have asked in such a way i feel obligated to share my opinion.
I say do that which you think benefits rasullulah saws's ummah most! If you think thats becoming an Alim then strive for that bro, if you think its becomin an optician then thats ur opinion, but do everything fi-sabillilah and wiv due sincerity akhee, i pray u got every reward u work so hard to attain!! inshaAllah!

Sister_6038
05-12-2006, 06:39 PM
taking time out before going to uni...is liked by universities...depending of course that you do something which is beneficial to your character and taking time out to learn about your deen is very very beneficial...also taking time out is an advantage i think in that you get the opportunity to develop as a person without the strains of education upon you...but thats my personal opnion...if i could i would take time out before uni...but im getting old...lololol nope not really just inshaAllah wanna get education out of the way...the exams are hmmmpft....

Mohsin
05-13-2006, 02:44 PM
masha'allah may allah swt reward u 4 ur intentions, insha'allah allah will make it easier for you, you walk towards him, allah comes running towards you

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
masha'allah may allah swt reward u 4 ur intentions, insha'allah allah will make it easier for you, you walk towards him, allah comes running towards you

salam.
amin true say bro :happy:
w.salam

seeker_of_ilm
05-17-2006, 10:52 AM

What...in everyones opinion is more beneficial...for the Ummah.....becoming an Aalim and scholar....or doing a secular degree, and doing a Phd. and stuff. As we need muslims doing well in Research and stuff.

Ghazi
05-17-2006, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

I am planning to finish the quran first insha'allah then go to homeschool or cyber school or one of those mail school thingys so that i dont get involved in the fitnah of those high-schools and then take alim courses while i am doing my high-school :). Well thats what im going to do
Salaam

I see you point I bearly survived high school in the uk so much fitnah I won't be sending my kid(inshallah) to one.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2006, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

I see you point I bearly survived high school in the uk so much fitnah I won't be sending my kid(inshallah) to one.

Agreed, inshaAllah will be moving to a muslim school were islamic values are taught rather then how to swear and be naughty inshaAllah.

05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

True i know the difference coz i went to a muslim high school but now i'm in an ordinary 6th form. The difference is immence! Here people are always swearing and everything and it's really wierd. However the 6th form itself isn't as bad as it could be coz about 80 - 90% of the students are muslim.

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
As great as Muslim Schools are,i wont send my children to a muslim school.

05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Why?

Ayesha Rana
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
As great as Muslim Schools are,i wont send my children to a muslim school.
Yeah isn't it a better alternative to a state school

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Even though i have alot of respect for Muslim School teachers (some of my family members teach at Muslim schools and i studied at a muslim primary school),the reason i wont ever send my (future)children to a muslim school is because i would rather teach them about Islam at home,..Islam,Adab,Quran,Hadith..everything and anything.

As far as education goes,i wont bar them from Reality.

Swearing,cussing,fights....all that,its a fact of life.

If i send them to a muslim school,after they leave school,i dont want them to have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the world.

I would rather they learn Religon at home,get education in school and keep in touch with reality at the same time.

Thats my humble opinion on this matter.Its a choice i have made for the children i will have in the future (insha'allah). :)

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
Yeah isn't it a better alternative to a state school
It might be,it might not be.

I guess i will never find out.

wa'salaam

-Zubair

05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Even though i have alot of respect for Muslim School teachers (some of my family members teach at Muslim schools and i studied at a muslim primary school),the reason i wont ever send my (future)children to a muslim school is because i would rather teach them about Islam at home,..Islam,Adab,Quran,Hadith..everything and anything.

If i send them to a muslim school,after they leave school,i dont want them to have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the world.

I would rather they learn Religon at home,get education in school and keep in touch with reality at the same time.

Thats my humble opinion on this matter.Its a choice i have made for the children i will have in the future (insha'allah). :)

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

wa'salaam

-Zubair

I understand what u mean brother, i just hope u have enough time for ur kids to teach them manners and morals and strengthen their iman so they don't get affected by others inshaallah.

IceQueen~
05-17-2006, 12:08 PM

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

wa'salaam

-Zubair
i completely agree with you brother, i personally never want to send my kids to school either,-i'd rather teach them at home or at least until they are mature enough to make decisions themselves(wise ones insha allah)

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
I understand what u mean brother, i just hope u have enough time for ur kids to teach them manners and morals and strengthen their iman so they don't get affected by others inshaallah.
Insha'allah sis :)

I will do the best i can.

Its just that,..i know people who send their kids to muslim schools,and whenever they come to a family gathering,if an elder member of the family asks their kids a question regarding islam,and the child cant answer it,..i hear the parents moan and complain "the teachers arent teaching them this and this and this and this..."

..i heard someone say that To me a few hours ago.

My only response to him was "The teacher didnt give birth to your child,you did.the teacher isnt responsible for your child around the clock,you are"

I dont want to be a parent that blames others for everything that goes wrong with the children.

If anything goes wrong with my (future)children,i know im responsible and i'll blame myself for it. :)

Kheir,insha'allah,we'll see how it goes.

wa'salaam.

IceQueen~
05-17-2006, 12:09 PM

I'm so damn confused about what I want to do. Got my family pressing me to chose a path. I want to study hifz after college, and then aalim. However my family want me to go straight to University, study optometry, get a masters and Phd. And a lot of other people say "We need more muslims in research". I just don't know what to do
Any advice? Anything really
how long is ur alim course bro?

Ghazi
05-17-2006, 12:11 PM

One thing I noticed among muslim parents is that some always push their children towards dunya and saying such things we want whats best for you, this lies in the hearafter, some parents would rather see their kids be a doctor then a shiek ect.

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marge1
i completely agree with you brother, i personally never want to send my kids to school either,-i'd rather teach them at home or at least until they are mature enough to make decisions themselves(wise ones insha allah)
I think you've misunderstood me sis :) i do want to send my kids to school - just not a muslim school.

If i teach them Adab and Islam properly,they are likely to make good choices while they are in school,good friends. :)

wasalaam.

aight,im off to sleep.its 12:12am. :X

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
edit : nevermind.

IceQueen~
05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I think you've misunderstood me sis :) i do want to send my kids to school - just not a muslim school.

If i teach them Adab and Islam properly,they are likely to make good choices while they are in school,good friends. :)

wasalaam.

aight,im off to sleep.its 12:12am. :X
sorry, yes i misunderstood you-i'd rather not send my kids to school at all till the age 7, and as for deen-yes at home is better than muslim schools.
i think more than teaching islam muslim schools just offer protection for kids getting any worse..

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
sorry, yes i misunderstood you-i'd rather not send my kids to school at all till the age 7, and as for deen-yes at home is better than muslim schools.
i think more than teaching islam muslim schools just offer protection for kids getting any worse..
Yeah,..thats the One benefit of Muslim Schools that i can think of.

Sometimes it offers TOO much protection.

I remember what it was like after i left school,..i was like "WOW...so this is the real world..." lol

lol,i think we've gone off topic.

sorry mods,if there is an existing topic regarding muslim schools,please merge my posts to that thread.

im seriously off to sleep now.

wa'salaam.

-Zubair

seeker_of_ilm
05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
how long is ur alim course bro?

Aalim course lasts 6 years. Plus about 2 years hifz

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.