/* */

PDA

View Full Version : beware of soft drink cans

Daffodil
05-12-2006, 08:30 PM
> >> >> >This incident happened recently in North Texas.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >A woman went boating one Sunday taking with her some cans of
> >>coke
> >> >> >which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she
> >> >>was
> >> >> >taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >She died on Wednesday.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was
> >>traced
> >> >>to
> >> >> >the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass.
> >> >> >Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and
> >>
> >>hence
> >> >> >the disease Leptospirosis.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly
> >> >> >recommended to
> >> >>thoroughly wash the upper part of soda cans before
> >> >> >drinking out of them. The cans are typically stocked in
> >> >>warehouses
> >> >> >and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda
> >> >> >cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e). full of
> >> >>germs
> >> >> >and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to
> >>the
> >> >> >mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Source?

Z
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Salaam.

WOW!

Stuff the source. I drink from a glass at home anyway, never from the can or bottle. Guess I'll need to keep a clean tissue more often with me when I go out then.

Trumble
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Yup... no real reason to doubt it. All you have to do is look around the back of any food store, pub or restaurant to see that cans and bottles are kept in places that may very well be frequented by rats - let alone the warehouses they are stored in before that.

Washing the can, or only drinking from a glass is very good advice.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
05-12-2006, 09:45 PM
What the???

That's common sense actually.....cos the top of the cans have been everywhere, but I'm just dumb so I just fdrink out of them without any treatment.

But now I know, I'm not goin to do that ever again!

Daffodil
05-12-2006, 09:52 PM
yep, i never even thought about this untill i read it. i will defo giv the can a kwik rinse or drink out a glass next time.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-12-2006, 10:33 PM
me 2.. ewww..!

natasha
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
same here eeggg.. i will inshallah drink the coke cans from a glass.. from todayy..

wilberhum
05-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Another sucker bites on an Urban Legion.
Though the advice is good, the story is false. You can usually identify this stuff by the fact that they almost never contain names, dates, or places.
Snopes.com is a good place to check out this kind of junk.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/raturine.asp

Daffodil
05-12-2006, 11:11 PM
ok forget the story but what its actually warning us about is tru, only god knows where those cans have been stored n whats been lurking on em ughh gross.

afriend
05-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Edit

wilberhum
05-12-2006, 11:18 PM
As I said "the advice is good, the story is false".
Wilber

afriend
05-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Ah I see, ok....

Saima_17
05-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Assalamalaikum
wow tnks sis gd advice
was trying to cut dwn my fizzy drinks but
i think ill actually cut dwn alot faster now
Walaikumsalam
still tyring toi figure dis forum out lol

Hawa
05-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I just took my last sip from a can and then read this..
not good..not good at all

afriend
05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
^LOL!

Well, the best thing to do right now would be to spread the message!

akulion
05-12-2006, 11:59 PM
the issue should not only be about coke cans but rather all products...

cleanliness is half the faith - thus we shold always wash everything before eating including washing our hands

Trumble
05-13-2006, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Yup... no real reason to doubt it.

LOL... apart from the fact it wasn't true, that is! :hiding:

That said, that site does say that "the potentially deadly illness Leptospirosis can be contracted through exposure to the urine of diseased animals (including rats)", as can some other illnesses.

I'll keep washing the cans, I think!

akulion
05-13-2006, 05:18 AM
best bet is drink out of glasses lol

and i dont mean reading glasses either :P

Imam786
05-13-2006, 05:26 AM
yeh i heard of that before...thats why i use straws...lol

glo
05-13-2006, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Another sucker bites on an Urban Legion.
Though the advice is good, the story is false. You can usually identify this stuff by the fact that they almost never contain names, dates, or places.
Snopes.com is a good place to check out this kind of junk.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/raturine.asp
Interesting link!
Funny, how these stories have such an impact.

akulion
05-13-2006, 07:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam786
yeh i heard of that before...thats why i use straws...lol
using straws can be even more dangerous cos u dont know if a mouse went pepe inside it or what! Or for all you know an ant or a fly did some popo inside it!!!

and plus it cant even be washed!!

use glasses --> easy to use and transparent :D

SirZubair
05-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Even though the advice is good,..please,in the future,check out the source before spreading such rubbish.

Wa'salaam

Daffodil
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Even though the advice is good,..please,in the future,check out the source before spreading such rubbish.

Wa'salaam
calm down, we have established the fact that its a false story, but its the message that we are discussing here. crikey

SirZubair
05-13-2006, 01:09 PM
:hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

I prefer to drink coke out of a Bottle.I dont drink out of cans

:hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair

I prefer to drink coke out of a Bottle.I dont drink out of cans

salam.
same here bro but not one of 3ltr bottles them small ones i hate drinking otu of a can too but coke is just the best and red bull :)
w.salam

SirZubair
05-13-2006, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam.
same here bro but not one of 3ltr bottles them small ones i hate drinking otu of a can too but coke is just the best and red bull :)
w.salam
I used to drink alot of RedBull.

But then i moved onto V. (ever heard of it?)

Then i moved onto Ginger Beer.

These days im a GingerBeer and Beef Jerky person ... lol ;D

amirah_87
05-13-2006, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
As I said "the advice is good, the story is false".
Wilber
LOOOOOOOOOOLLZ

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 01:27 PM

salam
LOLz bro i am just stuck with ''red bull and cola there just great :)
whats next bro??:p
w.salam

amirah_87
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM

ginger beer is niiiiiiiiiiiiicccee !!!!!

my mum had a go at my big sis oince for bringin' it home ;D ;D ;D

she was like " is that how corrupted you have become ???" & "how dare you

have the guts to even bring it home "...;D ;D

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
ginger beer is niiiiiiiiiiiiicccee !!!!!

my mum had a go at my big sis oince for bringin' it home ;D ;D ;D

she was like " is that how corrupted you have become ???" & "how dare you

have the guts to even bring it home "...;D ;D
salam.
LOLz but sis that is like woow but even Red-Bull looks like beer cause the can and the shape of it but then again my parents drink it so nothing happened to me :uhwhat
w.salam

amirah_87
05-13-2006, 01:41 PM
salam.
LOLz but sis that is like woow but even Red-Bull looks like beer cause the can and the shape of it but then again my parents drink it so nothing happened to me :uhwhat
w.salam
yeah the smae happened with "super malt"..................lol

afriend2
05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
salaam,

:'( i will never drink from a can ever again!! :) inshAllah....

jazakAllah for sharing the info :)

wassalam

*noor
05-13-2006, 06:52 PM
yea i heard this about 3 months ago........my friends and i went to a restaurant and then my friend started telling the story and i was so relieved taht i hate drinking right out of the can..........because i always use a straw.......now before i even put the straw, i make sure that the can is clean.

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
yea i heard this about 3 months ago........my friends and i went to a restaurant and then my friend started telling the story and i was so relieved taht i hate drinking right out of the can..........because i always use a straw.......now before i even put the straw, i make sure that the can is clean.
salam.
sis i know what you mean i can't stand drinking from a can i drink cola from the bottle but NOT the 3ltr bottle the small one and when i drink Red-Bull i never put the top of the can touching me mouth i just hold it from top and drink it
w.salam

*noor
05-13-2006, 07:02 PM
salam.
sis i know what you mean i can't stand drinking from a can i drink cola from the bottle but NOT the 3ltr bottle the small one and when i drink Red-Bull i never put the top of the can touching me mouth i just hold it from top and drink it
w.salam

whats up with the red bull......how come everyone likes it........sometimes i think i should try it to see y so many people like it but i just can't

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 07:05 PM
whats up with the red bull......how come everyone likes it........sometimes i think i should try it to see y so many people like it but i just can't
salam.
LOLz sis i think it's cause it's like it looks like beer ;D
nah sis i like it from day one i like the taste but unfortunately it's in a can!!:uhwhat but its all good cause atleast i get the taste :)
w.salam

Sahraxx
05-13-2006, 07:09 PM
My favourite drink is definately supermalt but my uncle always thinks its beer he never listens to me coz he doesnt read english so i cant prove it to him lol

Kittygyal
05-13-2006, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahraxx
My favourite drink is definately supermalt but my uncle always thinks its beer he never listens to me coz he doesnt read english so i cant prove it to him lol
salam.
never heard of that one but sis why don't you tell somone who knows english to translate the english to him someone who is older than you maybe he might believe them:rollseyes
w.salam

Daffodil
05-13-2006, 07:15 PM
asalamulaikum dear brothers and sisters, can we not go off topic here, if u want to discuss ur favorite drinks then there is a thread on this already.

*noor
05-13-2006, 07:25 PM
true........sorry for going off topic

now back to the topic
i think if we make sure that the can is clean, its safe to drink......or just buy the small bottle.

Khadeejah
05-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa BAraakatu

The source for the story may have been a no good site...but the story is true and this has been known for yrs......If any one has noticed many smaller stores have cats to chase away the mice....and bigger stores wel lI dunno what they have.....but the story is true and this information has been out for YRS........Secondly....everyone is saying use a straw use a glass well U still need to wash off the soda can because when u pop open the soda can the piece of metal touches the soft drink........So we still need to watch it...and the factories are not always clean.....so we should just try and take precaution....because ok yeh no one we ever knew got sick from it but it doesnt mean it can not happen......subhanAllah is it too much to wash off the top of a can..

Snowflake
05-14-2006, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khadeejah
Asalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa BAraakatu

subhanAllah is it too much to wash off the top of a can..
You're right and even if there wasn't risk of disease caused by rats then just the fact that shop keepers handle those cans before you do. How many times have we touched a can to see if it's cold enough before putting it back. God knows where people's hands have been. That's another reason for washing everything before use.

*noor
05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
You're right and even if there wasn't risk of disease caused by rats then just the fact that shop keepers handle those cans before you do. How many times have we touched a can to see if it's cold enough before putting it back. God knows where people's hands have been. That's another reason for washing everything before use.

so true sis.......you could only imagine the amount of germs that could be on the can after being everywhere.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-14-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hawa
I just took my last sip from a can and then read this..
not good..not good at all

:sl:

;D ;D ;D ;D

interesting article.

:w:

Hijaabi22
05-14-2006, 07:24 PM
:vomit: :vomit: :uuh: :uuh: :ooh: :ooh:

O......M...........G!!!

Inshallah
05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Thats a pathetic way to die but than every human being should be aware of this, we all should strive for excellent hygiene.

butterfly+
05-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Assalamaualikum,
Jazakallah for sharing!

Snowflake
05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
so true sis.......you could only imagine the amount of germs that could be on the can after being everywhere.
I have a lovely habit of washing any fruit I buy with Fairy Liquid. I really enjoy seeing the amused look on my guests faces aswell, even though they still eat it. :happy:

I might as well add that bottled water has been found to contain toxic chemicals leaking from the plastic bottles it comes in. Now experts are saying that tap water is safer. :rollseyes

A(SMILE ITS ME)
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
well its definately put me off my can of coke!!!
UR UR THE AMOUNT OF TIMES OF DRANK!!!
plastic bottles from now on eh?

Daffodil
05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
yep i heard that too, aparantly plastic bottles contain a chemical that can eventualy seep into the water,thats why u shud keep reusing bottles. my husband was saying that some girl she kept reusing her bottle for like months n months n months n she died due to the toxic chemical from the plastic bottle that got released and into her drink.

aamirsaab
05-17-2006, 09:50 AM
:sl:
Another reason to boycott coke? ;D

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Another reason to boycott coke :

The can is coloured Red.

Red represents Blood.

Blood - of Muslims.

...im sorry,but i felt like being 'part of the group' so i thought i'd make up some lies too.... :X

Muezzin
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Another reason to boycott coke :

The can is coloured Red.

Red represents Blood.

Blood - of Muslims.

...im sorry,but i felt like being 'part of the group' so i thought i'd make up some lies too.... :X
Great Scott, Robin! It's...the...only...possible...explanation!

:p

On topic, I read the first post, and yep, I agree, it's always best to make sure the can is clean before sticking it to one's gob.

searchingsoul
05-17-2006, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Great Scott, Robin! It's...the...only...possible...explanation!

:p

On topic, I read the first post, and yep, I agree, it's always best to make sure the can is clean before sticking it to one's gob.

I refuse to succumb to OCD. I'll take my chances. Heck you only live once.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.