/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Seventeen die in Baghdad attack

Far7an
05-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Seventeen people, including 13 Iraqis and four Westerners, have been killed in a suicide bomb attack in central Baghdad, police say. More than 33 were injured in the explosion targeting an armoured convoy used by Western contractors in Tahrir Square - a busy shopping area.

Police said they believed four bodies taken from a charred vehicle were those of American security contractors.

The attack came hours before a reported deal to complete the new Iraqi cabinet.

Insurgents have killed at least 250 people since the formation of Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari's cabinet last month.

Mr Jaafari has been struggling to bring Sunnis into his government and take the sting out of the insurgency.

According to unnamed sources, the latest agreement would see Saadoun al-Dulaimi, a Sunni Arab, as defence minister with Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloum, a Shia, filling the oil ministry portfolio.

Easy target

Saturday's attack at 1105 (0705GMT) sent a large plume of black smoke into the sky as ambulances converged on the scene, one of the capital's busiest intersections.

Television footage showed the remains of several bodies lying in Tahrir Square.

Some of the wounded were girls from a nearby school.

Foreign officials and security contractors move around Baghdad in convoys of four-wheel-drive vehicles accompanied by armed guards.

They have often been targeted by insurgents.

But Iraqi police and army recruits have also been coming under more attacks, says the BBC's Jim Muir in Baghdad.

Iraqi civilians have also been deliberately targeted and the Americans have also lost at least 15 soldiers killed in the latest wave of violence, our correspondent says.

On Friday, at least 16 people were killed in a car bomb attack in a market south of Baghdad.

At least 23 people were killed in suicide bombings and gun attacks on police and army targets in Baghdad on Thursday.

On Wednesday, at least 50 were killed in an attack on police recruits in Irbil.
BBC NEWS

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yoshiyahu
05-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Hash, I find it odd that you are giving a Hallayluyah to the death of your own people... not to mention perverse.

Sahabiyaat
05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
( woohoo br. ( in humanity) yoshiyahu is back)
i was wondering where the jewish bros had got to ?

Halima
05-15-2005, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hash
:sl:

Allaah Huakbar.

:w:

I don't see anything great about innocent people dying.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abubakar
05-15-2005, 04:46 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
I don't see anything great about innocent people dying.
Sister you are correct. It is a sin to kill women, children and non-combatants.

Most people who think this is great have not seen war.

Halima
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abubakar

Sister you are correct. It is a sin to kill women, children and non-combatants.

Most people who think this is great have not seen war.

Exactly, and people who think that it is great have not even thought about the consequences of the outcome of wars which they need to take a hard look at.

h1jabi_sista
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
bismillah hirahman niraheem
with all respect, it could be a possibility that brother hash was saying allahu akbar with the intention of actually meaning allah is the great. :)
in the same sence we say subhanallah when we see something sad and we say subhanallah when we see something good. :)

war, to me is such a cruel thing.....children pay for the consequences.... :(

allah knows best

Abubakar
05-19-2005, 11:17 PM

You are correct H1jab Sista we should not jump to conclusions.

I must correct you a little, it is the women and children that suffer the most in war.

You cannot hurt a child but hurt their mother more.

h1jabi_sista
05-20-2005, 10:17 AM
as salam alikum,
thats ture brother, jazakallah.

i was thinking about the long term damage it has on kids, i read a story of a child who could not go to sleep because of the sound of gunshots, who was afraid to go to sleep incase the little family he had were taken away from him...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.