/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Waswas and OCD, question for Mulism doctors

jello
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
:sl:

I have a condition known as OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which makes me do my wudhu and other activities too many times. In Islam we call this "WasWas", which means whispering of the Shaytan.

I was recently talking to a Muslim student of Neuroscience who contends that "WasWas" is nonsense in this case, since a person can be given a pill and this person will be cured from the problems of OCD. This person also maintains that most Muslim doctors do not believe Shaytan has anything to do with OCD at all, and that this is all superstision.

I would like Muslims (specially doctors and students of Medicine) to tell me about tihs, whether OCD is a condition independent from Shaytan, etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nicola
05-17-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm really sorry to hear you have this condition..
how long have you suffered from it?..

- Qatada -
05-17-2006, 01:11 PM
:wasalamex

Those who pay attention to them (the waswasa) and act upon them, they increase until they make him like one who is insane or even worse, as we see among many of those who have suffered from them and paid attention to them and to the devil whose task it is to insinuate these whispers, whom the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against when he said, “Beware the whispers with regard to water (i.e., wudoo’) which is caused by a devil called al-Walhaan” – because that causes a person to go to extremes with regard to doing wudoo’, as was explained in Sharh Mishkaat al-Anwaar.

I think you should read this post insha'Allaah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/304175-post4.html

original thread.

You can read more fatwa about that from this link insha'Allaah: [even though the site isn't a muslim site - it has pasted articles regarding the topic insha'Allaah.]

http://experts.about.com/q/Islam-947...a-Im-crazy.htm

:salamext:

jello
05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, mine is mild actually, not severe like that of other people, though I have had it for 11+ years now. In any case, my question was for Muslims and Muslim doctors in particular, about what they make about the relationship between OCD as a medical condition and WasWas as the whispering of the Devil.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Soldier
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Assalam

I am neither a dcotor nor a scholar but this is what I know.

Shaytaan may not be the cause of 'normal' OCD's but when it is with religion, doing whudoo again and again, it is the shaytaan making you feel such that you get annoyed of doing wudhoo hence stop.

Doubts like these are to be ignored. It may be hard at first but just dont care and they will go away.

Nicola
05-17-2006, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jello
Well, mine is mild actually, not severe like that of other people, though I have had it for 11+ years now. In any case, my question was for Muslims and Muslim doctors in particular, about what they make about the relationship between OCD as a medical condition and WasWas as the whispering of the Devil.

fair enough..I'm not Muslim but I do have 90% of my family who suffer from servere..OCD..and I just want to say I was sorry to hear you had that condition also.

IceQueen~
05-17-2006, 01:23 PM
a lot of illnesses may be related to shaytan, for instance cases of leprousy, cancer, etc-even prophet ayyub-he had a skin disease and in the quran he said 'shaytan has tired me'..just try and follow the sunnah of the prophet (saw) regarding wudhu insha allah.

Abu Zakariya
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
OCD may be independent of Shaytan. Allahu 'alam.

However, waswas does exist and they do come from the Shaytan. I experienced it myself, since there have been times when I repeated my prayers because of waswas and at other times there have been no problems.

jm100
05-18-2006, 09:34 PM
:as:

What is the cure for Waswas?

:wa:

- Qatada -
05-18-2006, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jm100
:as:

What is the cure for Waswas?

:wa:

check this post out insha'Allaah:

jm100
05-18-2006, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

check this post out insha'Allaah:

:j:

Muslim Knight
05-20-2006, 03:20 AM
I have a mild OCD to. It made me check whether the car is locked or not. Twice. My friend who is a doctor says it can be overcame, but it has to come from the person. Strong will in this case.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.