/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Apes plan ahead and monkeys talk

root
05-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Mokeys "talk"

The first evidence monkeys can string "words" together to communicate in a similar way to humans has been found.
showed they could encode fresh information by combining two existing calls, rather than creating a new sound, she said.
Dubbed "pyows" and "hacks" it seems pyow-hack sequence means something like 'let's go',

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4992598.stm

Study shows apes can plan ahead

Bonobos and orangutans are capable of future planning, according to a study published in the journal Science. Researchers found the apes could select a suitable tool for reaching a treat, carry it away, and return with it to retrieve the reward hours later.

Forward planning is thought by some to be a uniquely human trait.
"Previous studies had shown that chimps and other animals can transport tools to solve a problem on the spot - so they will go and even make a tool and then they will bring it to solve a problem.

"But the main difference with the tasks that we tried is that here when they transport the tool and save it, they have no use for the tool. They need to anticipate that they will require it solve a problem in the future."
Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4996942.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
united
05-20-2006, 04:16 PM
It is surprising that it has taken science so long to find out that animals talk to each other. Didnt Sulaiman (as) overhear the ant telling the other ants to be careful?

Silver Pearl
05-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Greetings root,

Interesting, have only apes and monkey's been monitired to see whether they can communicate with each other or has the study also mentioned other creatures?

In regards to United's comment:

At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it."

So he smiled, amused at her speech; and he said: "O my Lord! so order me that I may be grateful for Thy favours, which thou hast bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may work the righteousness that will please Thee: And admit me, by Thy Grace, to the ranks of Thy righteous Servants."
(Al Naml 18-19)

Regards,

Silver Pearl

Bittersteel
05-20-2006, 04:45 PM
perhaps we should keep science and faith separated.I am not saying I don't have faith I am just tired of religious lectures during something scientific is being unveiled.No offence meant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
root
05-20-2006, 06:23 PM
United - It is surprising that it has taken science so long to find out that animals talk to each other. Didnt Sulaiman (as) overhear the ant telling the other ants to be careful?
Your missing the important points here and confusing "communication" with "oral Communication". Further, your failing to recognise the value of speech that combines different sounds to string communication together without introducing new sounds in realtime.

Silver Pearl Interesting, have only apes and monkey's been monitired to see whether they can communicate with each other or has the study also mentioned other creatures?
Same as above!

united
05-20-2006, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=root;320098]Your missing the important points here and confusing "communication" with "oral Communication". Further, your failing to recognise the value of speech that combines different sounds to string communication together without introducing new sounds in realtime.

Well havent they found that the monkeys communicate by sounds? And what Sulaiman (as) did was to "hear" the ant.

root
05-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Well havent they found that the monkeys communicate by sounds? And what Sulaiman (as) did was to "hear" the ant.
If you want to beleive that ant's verbally communicate with each other using vocal communication and can select existing vocal communication to define another meaning in real time then that is your business.

The only issue I have with this is that I would be mortified if such logic was used to educate our children and within the boundaries of science something that is utterly rejected and totally unsupported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant#Com...n_and_behavior

Hawa
05-20-2006, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
perhaps we should keep science and faith separated.I am not saying I don't have faith I am just tired of religious lectures during something scientific is being unveiled.No offence meant.

its a simple case of 'been there done that'
find something that hasnt already been covered by Islam and no one will try to infuse religion into it..

united
05-21-2006, 12:31 PM
You would be mortified if children were taught that monkeys verbally communicate with each other one day because your gods, "scientists" have not yet worked it out. But if they when they work it out you're fine with it. For Muslims, our god is Allah, not scientists.

root
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
You would be mortified if children were taught that monkeys verbally communicate with each other one day because your gods, "scientists" have not yet worked it out. But if they when they work it out you're fine with it. For Muslims, our god is Allah, not scientists
I don't quite get that, perhaps you could elaborate.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
You would be mortified if children were taught that monkeys verbally communicate with each other one day because your gods, "scientists" have not yet worked it out. But if they when they work it out you're fine with it. For Muslims, our god is Allah, not scientists.
:sl:
Eh? I believe in Islam, and I believe what the scientists say. What is wrong with the scientists? I only reject the atheistic hypotheses like Richard Dawkin's 'selfish gene', and the Gaia hypothesis. Are you accusing me of worshiping scientists too?
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.