/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How about trusting the users of these forums?

NJUSA
05-21-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm not thrilled with the idea of monitored private messages, but since I don't say anything online that I'm not willing to have published in the New York Times, I don't object too strongly. But the anonymous reps are a touch extreme. If you're that worried about someone passing phone numbers or state secrets, limit that person's privileges. But for those of us who just want to say "Great post, really witty!" or, "What a load of tripe!" to another person's published statement, it's going overboard. And I do hope that this idea of banning intergender private messages dies a quick death.
[S]My two cents[/S]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Safa
05-21-2006, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NJUSA
But the anonymous reps are a touch extreme. If you're that worried about someone passing phone numbers or state secrets, limit that person's privileges. But for those of us who just want to say "Great post, really witty!" or, "What a load of tripe!" to another person's published statement, it's going overboard. And I do hope that this idea of banning intergender private messages dies a quick death.
[s]My two cents[/s]
You can see the comments someone makes when they rep you.

Tania
05-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Do you want the intergender private messaging to remain?:-[

NJUSA
05-21-2006, 06:22 AM
no, mine are gone. and for those that can see the comments, that still does not tell us who they are, unless they sign them, which defeats the purpose of blocking usernames from reps.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
05-21-2006, 06:27 AM
no, mine are gone. and for those that can see the comments, that still does not tell us who they are, unless they sign them, which defeats the purpose of blocking usernames from reps.
I can't see neither the username nor the comments :(

Safa
05-21-2006, 06:34 AM
I can't see neither the username nor the comments :(
You go to user cp, click on the thread where you received the rep.

Click on the green box on top of your username, you will see the comment.

But you will not see the username of the person who rep'd you.

glo
05-21-2006, 06:40 AM
I must agree that I found it very informative to read the reasons why somebody had rated a particular post. It's a shame to have lost that function.

Personally, I am not so bothered about who gave the rep.

Peace.

Silver Pearl
05-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Greetings NJUSA,

With any case it is always the minority who spoil it for everyone. This is not a matrimonial site nor is it a board dedicated to the opposite genders getting to know one another. People have abused the use of rep system and because of them everyone has to face the same treatment. I don't think it is possible to only deprive certain members from leaving comments and if it is then a lot of time will go to waste just hunting these people down.

This is an Islamic forum and those in authority not only have power but responsibility. They can not turn the cheek while fitnah roams and grows. The admins are busy and they can not spend hours upon hours filtering between those indulge in fitnah and those who are genuine about their presence here. It is thus easier to disable the whole 'leaving-your-trademark'

Also this stops people from becoming excessively boastful, posting any old nonsense just to make people laugh and to increase their reputation.

The verdict on the issue is not extreme, we are told to enjoin in good and refrain from evil. That is what those in authority are doing. Everything happens for a reason. I hope that answers your queries.

NJUSA
05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
You know, this is an excellent reminder of why collective punishment has been removed as a behavior management tool in modern pedagogy. Those who wish to use their freedoms for positive or innocuous purposes are lumped in with those who abuse those freedoms, which means that those freedoms are no longer available, making the environment less expressive, less conducive to communication and learning.

snakelegs
05-21-2006, 07:13 AM
You know, this is an excellent reminder of why collective punishment has been removed as a behavior management tool in modern pedagogy. Those who wish to use their freedoms for positive or innocuous purposes are lumped in with those who abuse those freedoms, which means that those freedoms are no longer available, making the environment less expressive, less conducive to communication and learning.
well said. also i think since they will remain anonymous there will be a lot more negative reps given.

F.Y.
05-21-2006, 07:35 AM
^hmmm. Interesting prediction :) That may very well be true!

Peace

afriend2
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
salaam,

well everything happens for a reason, and mashAllah i think it is a good idea...although i miss the comments that i get from my sisters!!!

Allahu Alam

wassalam :peace:

x Maz x
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I second that NJUSA!...Respect to you!...Sad thing is ...i was gonna rep you :( but i realised there is no point, its nice to know why someone reps you and i find this new system highly over-protective and i aggree with all your comments ukhty Peace be with you x

aamirsaab
05-21-2006, 09:52 AM
:sl:
I can see the rep message just not who gave it me. Major Skank.

Tania
05-21-2006, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa

I did exactly how you said and i could read the comments.Thank you:statisfie

afriend2
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
salaam,

aw mashAllah i can see the messages....and some of them are soo obvious i dont need to know who sent them!!!

but its a little time consuming ( extra seconds....) so i dont see why they cant be added into the original layout anyways....

Snowflake
05-21-2006, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
salaam,

aw mashAllah i can see the messages....and some of them are soo obvious i dont need to know who sent them!!!
but its a little time consuming ( extra seconds....) so i dont see why they cant be added into the original layout anyways....

Are you sure sis? Cuz I know us sisters say a lot in rep comments and I don't wanna end up wondering who said what.

Plus if comments are available to read by clicking on ur greenbox, then why not just leave them where they were. I'd rather not get rep points than wonder who they are from. It feels cold and clinical.

I think it's about time the whole rep system is done and dusted with. It doesn't mean anything anyway.

:w:

afriend2
05-21-2006, 10:38 AM
salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Are you sure sis? Cuz I know us sisters say a lot in rep comments and I don't wanna end up wondering who said what.
yeah thats true...sometimes ( i know this from personal experience) us sisters can babble on in the rep system ...

Plus if comments are available to read by clicking on ur greenbox, then why not just leave them where they were. I'd rather not get rep points than wonder who they are from. It feels cold and clinical.
agreed....

I think it's about time the whole rep system is done and dusted with. It doesn't mean anything anyway.
also agreed....it can even make people ask for reps :offended: posts are posts...and if they are spreading good, then Allah ta'ala's praise is what we should seek.

Far7an
05-21-2006, 11:12 AM

The staff here on LI have chosen to adopt the policy 'prevention is better than cure'. After a recent incident which occured, we thought it would be best to avoid anything similar or worse to occur by removing the means in which they do this by.

It does not mean we do not trust the members, if anything we want to make this more of an Islamic environment whereby our brothers/sisters can interact with eachother according to the shariah.

The rep system is a form of feedback for the person who makes the post. It allows them to see that they made a positive point or that someone agreed with them, it is not absolutely neccassary for them to see who left the rep point or what they have to say about it.

I've seen this implemented on many forums previously and alhamdulillah it worked perfectly fine. For some of you it may be a negative point, as you were constantly passing reps back and forth and had "agreements" with others. Maybe this will make us question our intentions when posting, are we doing it for reps? Or for the sake of Allaah?

H4RUN
05-21-2006, 02:27 PM
well erm u can still write ur name after the message cant you? just a matter of typing it in eh? then again that would mean that you could be posing to be someone else lol now why would someone do that?

czgibson
05-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa

Can anyone show me where this green box is? I can't find it at all.

For what it's worth, I much preferred the system the way it was. Still, I suppose the mods have their reasons for tinkering with the system.

Peace

NJUSA
05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I posted a rep to someone, with my username, and the information line for New York City. This should prove that those who want to abuse systems, will do so, and the only way to prevent abuse is to prevent use, period. Would you close the forums because a few people post negative statements?

Tania
05-21-2006, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Can anyone show me where this green box is? I can't find it at all.

For what it's worth, I much preferred the system the way it was. Still, I suppose the mods have their reasons for tinkering with the system.

Peace
Its above your username , in your case would be the letters ZGI.The green box its followed by the red one. The same green box its used for rep.

czgibson
05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by mara
Its above your username , in your case would be the letters ZGI.The green box its followed by the red one. The same green box its used for rep.
Found it - thanks!

On the style I'm using it's a yellow box at the bottom left of each of my posts.

Peace

Abdullah4ever
05-21-2006, 03:01 PM

I think the Edit button is gonna disappear soon ...

*noor
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

I think the Edit button is gonna disappear soon ...

i hope not.........why would it??

Abdullah4ever
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM

I no another forum it disappeared because the members were abusing it

Tania
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Welcome Czgibson:)

The Edit button must remain to allow me to correct the english typing errors.:X

*noor
05-21-2006, 03:08 PM
i doubt that the edit button will dissapear...........what if someone posted in the wrong section by accident.....im speaking from experience..........i wouldnt want it to remain there.......especially if i posted something in the wrong spot that was supposed to be posted in the sisters section and i know that everyone here probably feels the same way.

NJUSA
05-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I liked the rep system as it was. As it is now, it lacks accountability. I used reps to express approval or disapproval of individual posts. Now the moderating team will have to cope with the inflation of every thread, because people will have to post in thread to respond to individuals, whether the post is on topic or not.

Arwa
05-21-2006, 04:04 PM

I think it's a great move masha'Allah.

It might be annoying when you don't know who gave you the rep's, but at the end of the day, if you do not know who gave the reps, it's not going to be the end of the world! insha'Allah.

Since this new system was implemented after an 'incident' , try to understand and compromise. Masha'Allah there are other excellent facilities that Li has to offer us! :)

I'm sure you don't come onto this forum forum to gain reps, rather you come to benefit from the forum, enhance your knowledge on Islam and whatever reason you joined this forum.

Some forums don't even have this reputation system so just think of it like that. :)

Jazakumallahu khayr Li Staff!

hidaayah
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
:salamext:

yess Mashallah..i totally agree with sis Arwa..:)

Muhammad
05-22-2006, 12:20 PM

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.