/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bible the word of God?

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I just watched Dr. Zakir Naik vs. Dr. William Campbell in "Quran and Bible in the Light of Science."

Naik totalled owned Campbell when it came to scientific contradiction in the Bible.

He cited over 25 errors, about 5 of which were simple mathematical errors.

If the Bible has so many contradictions and errors, how can it be the word of God?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Joe98
05-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Its not the word of God.

It was written by humans.

The 4 main Gospels were written by Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.

The letters between St Paul and the Corinthians were written by Saint Paul and the Corinthians.

When a human writes from memory he makes mistakes.

Skillganon
05-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Well, I doubt it will have any effect on christian's.

Woodrow
05-23-2006, 03:14 AM
I think we should remember that originaly the Bible was the word of God. It is the translations and revisions that are not the word of God. So what we know today as the Bible is not the Bible.

The TRUEBible is the word of God, but, it no longer exists or has been hidden.

My opinion here Astraghfillahu , I beleive we should still treat todays Bible with some respect as in spite of the errors, it still retains some truths in it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hussein radi
05-23-2006, 06:33 AM
that is true, but why? The Quran has all the missing error and even has better naswers. We dont need to fix the bible, we got the Quran.

Woodrow
05-23-2006, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
that is true, but why? The Quran has all the missing error and even has better naswers. We dont need to fix the bible, we got the Quran.
That is true. But, it was not God who changed the Bible, it was man. I just feel we should show it respect(not belief) to affirm that we recognise God's Love for us and to acknowledge that he has always given us the tools to stay on the right path.

By respect I mean we should not go out and blindly attack a Bible and call it full of lies etc. Some of the words in it are still true, so we must be carefull not to be disgracefull to what is true in it.

If a close friend of yours gave you a beautiful gift, but before you got to see it an enemy defaced it, would you not still appreciate the thought of the friend?

primitivefuture
05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The TRUEBible is the word of God, but, it no longer exists or has been hidden.
Why would they hide such a sacred text? And where is it hidden? Who hid it?

Kittygyal
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture

salam.
well no ONE has hid it i just want to say as being a revert the bible still exsists muslims think the bible has errors and has been changed whereas on one occasion the christians believe the bible still exsist and god has NOT wrote it, it was written by Mathew, Mark, Luke and John who are the four gospels, now muslims know the koran is correct and has got no errors whereas the christains believe the koran has got errors but therefore we have no doubt it has and also it has been not hidden i will ''repeat not hidden'', so the bible has not been hidden and nor it's word of god.

if you have any questions do ask :)
w.salam

Ninth_Scribe
05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
If the Bible has so many contradictions and errors, how can it be the word of God?
The word of God is fine. It's the hand of men that cause problems. They either lose it and go off on passionate rants or they become prey to their own agendas and pollute the purity found in the words of their fathers with poetic flights of fancy.

I'm looking at the so-called English translation of Issaiah and have to ask... who translated a meadow saffron to mean... Rose? Why? I almost fell off my chair when I saw that, lol. But words like this shed light since from this one, I know when the Book of Issaiah was actually written.

Which leads me back to my point. You can lie to other men and to small children... but you can't lie to God. It all comes out in the wash eventually.

Ninth Scribe

Woodrow
05-24-2006, 04:52 PM
That is the very point I was trying to get across in my round about way. If the Bible does still exist in it's true form, Where is it?

Kittygyal
05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
That is the very point I was trying to get across in my round about way. If the Bible does still exist in it's true form, Where is it?
salam.
now lets be abit civil here cause they are christians on this forum i know muslim's do NOT agree with the ''bible'' nor do christains believe of the koran but christains believe there is NO bible that is hidden nor is alie whereas muslims believe the bible is false and nor here, but therefore what christains read the ''bible'' is still here it is NOT hidden!
w.salam

Woodrow
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam.
now lets be abit civil here cause they are christians on this forum i know muslim's do NOT agree with the ''bible'' nor do christains believe of the koran but christains believe there is NO bible that is hidden nor is alie whereas muslims believe the bible is false and nor here, but therefore what christains read the ''bible'' is still here it is NOT hidden!
w.salam
Very excellent point. I do have to agree that Christians have many very good reasons to belive that what they read is the Truth. I should not state why I think it is in error. It is best for me to just say that I have found sufficient proof to satisfy myself that the Qur'an is True. Christians have an equal right to say they have sufficient proof to say the Bible is True.

Kittygyal
05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Very excellent point. I do have to agree that Christians have many very good reasons to belive that what they read is the Truth. I should not state why I think it is in error. It is best for me to just say that I have found sufficient proof to satisfy myself that the Qur'an is True. Christians have an equal right to say they have sufficient proof to say the Bible is True.

salam.
true bro. although on me behalf i am a revet now for me there are different kind of bibles because the Catholics don't believe as Christains also so people don't believe in Nature. Now for clarification and to some this up the there are different kind of bibles and also the bible was written by four Gospels and also the word's are writen are by people and mistakes happen.
i hoe you understand what i mean and also halusination of this :)
god bless

Ninth_Scribe
05-25-2006, 05:40 PM
If you're looking for the one I think you are... they hid it in the Judean Desert.

Ninth Scribe

Eric H
05-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Greetings and peace Woodrow,
It is best for me to just say that I have found sufficient proof to satisfy myself that the Qur'an is True.
In both the Quar’an and the Bible it says that God chooses whom he wills, yet it seems strange that you have been chosen to follow Islam and I seem to have been chosen to follow Christianity.

God’s plan does not seem very clear.

In the spirit of searching for truth

Eric

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Eric :)
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
In both the Quar’an and the Bible it says that God chooses whom he wills, yet it seems strange that you have been chosen to follow Islam and I seem to have been chosen to follow Christianity.

I'm afraid I don't see the connection here between free will and the clarity of God's plan. :?

Woodrow
05-25-2006, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace Woodrow,

Eric
Salaamu (Peace) Eric,

Probably not as strange as it seems. I can not call another person's beliefs true or false. It is of importance to me that I find truth in my own beliefs, which I found as a Muslim.

This will be difficult for you to understand. But, I was born Christian, was considered a very devout Christian and deeply Loved Jesus(pbuh), which I still do. As a Christian I met Jesus(pbuh), but when I reverted to Islam I got to know Jesus(pbuh).

Eric H
05-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Ansar, and Hi
I'm afraid I don't see the connection here between free will and the clarity of God's plan.
The clarity of God’s plan may seem very clear to you through Islam, it may seem very clear to me through one branch of Christianity, It may seem very clear to a Hindu, etc.

We each believe we have the truth, but what is God’s plan for each one of us, can we each achieve salvation?

Somehow it seems that we are each part of a plan laid down by God.

Eric

Eric H
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Woodrow,
I can not call another person's beliefs true or false. It is of importance to me that I find truth in my own beliefs, which I found as a Muslim.
Wise words.

In the spirit of striving for......

Eric

Goku
05-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Salaamu (Peace) Eric,

Probably not as strange as it seems. I can not call another person's beliefs true or false. It is of importance to me that I find truth in my own beliefs, which I found as a Muslim.

This will be difficult for you to understand. But, I was born Christian, was considered a very devout Christian and deeply Loved Jesus(pbuh), which I still do. As a Christian I met Jesus(pbuh), but when I reverted to Islam I got to know Jesus(pbuh).
Salam, thats great MashAllah, I think the more devout Christians will want to dig for the true message of Jesus (PBUH) behind all those different versions of the Bible.

Wassalam.

Joe98
05-25-2006, 10:36 PM

I answered way up at the start of this thread.

The Bible is the words of men.

Kidman
05-25-2006, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
If you're looking for the one I think you are... they hid it in the Judean Desert.

Ninth Scribe
Word? lets go get it!!! Not... heard it's protected by mummies and dark evils...

kidman

ps. i'm kidding

Umar001
05-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm so confused when people say that the Bible used to be the word of G-d, I don't get it. (That seems to be muslims saying that)

I don't get people just saying it is the words of Man so they can contain mistkes, yet it is followed as the fundamentals of faith. (Some Christian Say That)

I also don't get when people say stuff like 'I do not call other people's religion wrong' but indirectly, throught them having chose their religion for reasons, they have done so, most of the time.

This is by far one of the most confusing times of my life.

Peace be upon yall.

Truth
05-27-2006, 07:27 PM
EDIT

MODERATOR'S COMMENT: SUCH INSULTING AND OFFENSIVE REMAKRS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED REGARDLESS OF WHICH RELIGION THEY ARE DIRECTED TOWARDS. PLEASE DILOGUE WITH RESPECT.

Al-Mu'min
05-28-2006, 09:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
I'm so confused when people say that the Bible used to be the word of G-d, I don't get it. (That seems to be muslims saying that)
Peace,

As a Muslim you have to believe in all the books sent by Allah to His prophets. Allah clearly says in the Quran that He sent a book called Injeel to prophet Jesus pbuh called Injeel or Gospel in English. Unfortunately, today's bible is what we have left of the Injeel. So that is why Muslims say the Bible used to be God's word.:)

Peace out.

Umar001
05-28-2006, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'min
Peace,

As a Muslim you have to believe in all the books sent by Allah to His prophets. Allah clearly says in the Quran that He sent a book called Injeel to prophet Jesus pbuh called Injeel or Gospel in English. Unfortunately, today's bible is what we have left of the Injeel. So that is why Muslims say the Bible used to be God's word.:)

Peace out.

Seeee, this type of reasoning is exactly what I don't get brother, the Bible we have today is the injeel corrupted?

See this is what is confusing me, the Bible is a compilation of books that were written some before the thought time of Jesus and some after, when muslims claim, that the basis of the bible is the injeel and it has just been curropted then this is the most confusing explanation.

Maybe the authors of the Gospels used some oral traditions which may derive back to the injeel, but to say that the Bible we have is the Injeel curropted does nothing but confuse me.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Seeee, this type of reasoning is exactly what I don't get brother, the Bible we have today is the injeel corrupted?

See this is what is confusing me, the Bible is a compilation of books that were written some before the thought time of Jesus and some after, when muslims claim, that the basis of the bible is the injeel and it has just been curropted then this is the most confusing explanation.

Maybe the authors of the Gospels used some oral traditions which may derive back to the injeel, but to say that the Bible we have is the Injeel curropted does nothing but confuse me.
:sl:
The Injeel was the message of Prophet Jesus pbuh, some remnants of which may be visible in the four gospel accounts. The intro to this book explains the issue:
http://voiceforislam.com/Pdfs/GospelOfJesus.pdf

:w:

Umar001
05-28-2006, 06:06 PM
I think that articles agrees with me, that the Gospels are but writings of people.
Even if we were to purify this Holy Bible that we have now to the state of when it was first written, i.e Gospel of Mark and so on, we would only find teachings of jumbled together, we would not find the whole of Jesus' Gospel rather parts of it which came from Oral Traditions

iLL_LeaT
05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
The bible speaks a lot of truth. I think it should be read by everyone who seeks truth, even if they are not Christian. However, one should keep in mind that is has been changed overtime through translations and corruption. The worst thing that happened to the bible was when religion became institutionalized. Once that happened, Jesus’ name started to be exploited. His name became the source of money and power. Lies and changes were made to keep power. According to the Quran, Jesus was not the actual son of God. This is also supported through history, (Sorry but I can’t state any sources right this second) Jesus specifically said that the Father was grater then he. Long ago, to be a “son of God” was to have strong Tawheed(Oneness with God). It wasn’t until about 300 CE that “son of God” took on a literal meaning.

So is the Bible the word of God? I think so, but I also think it should be noted that it has been changed.

Umar001
05-29-2006, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT
The bible speaks a lot of truth. I think it should be read by everyone who seeks truth, even if they are not Christian. However, one should keep in mind that is has been changed overtime through translations and corruption. The worst thing that happened to the bible was when religion became institutionalized. Once that happened, Jesus’ name started to be exploited. His name became the source of money and power. Lies and changes were made to keep power. According to the Quran, Jesus was not the actual son of God. This is also supported through history, (Sorry but I can’t state any sources right this second) Jesus specifically said that the Father was grater then he. Long ago, to be a “son of God” was to have strong Tawheed(Oneness with God). It wasn’t until about 300 CE that “son of God” took on a literal meaning.

So is the Bible the word of God? I think so, but I also think it should be noted that it has been changed.

Well that's an interesting view point but the problem that arises is a very dangerous one, you stated that it should be read by anyone seeking truth, and that the reader should bear in mind that it has been changed over time.
The problem comes in at the point that when does the reader acknowledge the changes, when does the reader stop and say, 'ok that bit isnt from G-d' it would be a very difficult task for scholars to do, let alone normal everyday people, if it were an easy thing then people would have a pure edition of the Bible by now.
Again, what makes you think that the Bible is the word of G-d even 25%?

The problem is noteable, people read a book to seek guidance and truth while they also acknowledge that part of it is written by men, therefore seeking guidance indirectly from men, which in some cases could be shirk, if I am not mistaken, the simple task of going through the bible and seeing which bit is from G-d and which bit isn't is not that easy.

iLL_LeaT
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Well that's an interesting view point but the problem that arises is a very dangerous one, you stated that it should be read by anyone seeking truth, and that the reader should bear in mind that it has been changed over time.
The problem comes in at the point that when does the reader acknowledge the changes, when does the reader stop and say, 'ok that bit isnt from G-d' it would be a very difficult task for scholars to do, let alone normal everyday people, if it were an easy thing then people would have a pure edition of the Bible by now.
Again, what makes you think that the Bible is the word of G-d even 25%?

The problem is noteable, people read a book to seek guidance and truth while they also acknowledge that part of it is written by men, therefore seeking guidance indirectly from men, which in some cases could be shirk, if I am not mistaken, the simple task of going through the bible and seeing which bit is from G-d and which bit isn't is not that easy.
This is all very true. How do I even know any of what is left is the word of God? I don’t. Personally I think that to sift out lies you should look to other sources, Quern or whatever. Through both the Quern and the Bible we see an overall meaning is of peace and love. That is what is important to me. Not who said this, or who did what, the overall meaning is important. Now the natural question would be, “Well the Quern teaches this, why look anywhere else?” Well why not seek out other sources? My own personal belief is that the Quern may not be 100% true. This is a very hard statement for most Muslims to hear, but Mohammed was just a man. And men make mistakes. I have heard the argument that Allah would have not let falsehood come from the Quern. But Allah let falsehood come from the Bible. Allah seems to refuse in interfere with the world directly. There, however, has not been any profits since Mohammed. Perhaps the Quern is the complete truth, or perhaps the Quern is true enough for Allah. Mohammed himself clamed that the word of god was hard to understand sometimes. All people make mistakes. Example, Ramadan is strictly an Islamic thing, and Ramadan was practiced before Mohammed was a profit. It has been apart of the Arabia’s culture for ever, long before monotheism. Some Christians and Jew practice fasting, but not necessary in the 9th month. If Allah thinks everyone should fast in the 9th month, don’t you think Christians and Jew would do it in that month?

However, the Quern has not been changed. And I think it should be looked at as the closest thing to the truth.

I know what you are thinking, “Blaspheme!”

Yes, it could be.

Skillganon
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM
What is Quern?
and mohhomed(pbuh) was a profit? Nah if you read his life story you will know he was not after profit!!

iLL_LeaT
05-29-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
What is Quern?
and mohhomed(pbuh) was a profit? Nah if you read his life story you will know he was not after profit!!
I didn’t suggest that Mohammed was after the title “Profit.”

I suggested that he is a man who makes mistakes, yet did hear the word of God

If Mohamed didn’t hear the word of God, then he was an illiterate genius.

Skillganon
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I thought you meant he was after making money (profit)

I think what you meantr was prophet, and it is not Quern but Quran. Maybe it was a typo. DOn't worry but some people might get confused.

iLL_LeaT
05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought you meant he was after making money (profit)

I think what you meantr was prophet, and it is not Quern but Quran. Maybe it was a typo. DOn't worry but some people might get confused.
Yes Quern = Quran

Sorry, that is what I get for not rereading my post.

Skillganon
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM
This is all very true. How do I even know any of what is left is the word of God? I don’t. Personally I think that to sift out lies you should look to other sources, Quern or whatever. Through both the Quern and the Bible we see an overall meaning is of peace and love. That is what is important to me. Not who said this, or who did what, the overall meaning is important. Now the natural question would be, “Well the Quern teaches this, why look anywhere else?” Well why not seek out other sources? My own personal belief is that the Quern may not be 100% true. This is a very hard statement for most Muslims to hear, but Mohammed was just a man. And men make mistakes. I have heard the argument that Allah would have not let falsehood come from the Quern. But Allah let falsehood come from the Bible. Allah seems to refuse in interfere with the world directly. There, however, has not been any profits since Mohammed. Perhaps the Quern is the complete truth, or perhaps the Quern is true enough for Allah. Mohammed himself clamed that the word of god was hard to understand sometimes. All people make mistakes. Example, Ramadan is strictly an Islamic thing, and Ramadan was practiced before Mohammed was a profit. It has been apart of the Arabia’s culture for ever, long before monotheism. Some Christians and Jew practice fasting, but not necessary in the 9th month. If Allah thinks everyone should fast in the 9th month, don’t you think Christians and Jew would do it in that month?

However, the Quern has not been changed. And I think it should be looked at as the closest thing to the truth.

Yes, it could be.
I think you are making a mistake saying like he forgot or made a mistake when reciting the revelation back to the people. The fact he was given revelation without any mistake in conveyance, you allude the fact the QURAN was not revealed in one night but it was more like passage by passage. Next you are assuming he made a mistake when conveying the message to the people, and had a poor memory and thus was not conveyed accurately. Next you are assuming that people that the passage was conveyed to, did not memorise the passage revealed to muhhamed, and that they too probably had poor memory and made mistake, and everybody who made mistake reciting the passage from the quran made the mistake in the same point or word and people failed to write some of it down somewhere e.t.c

Next you are transcribing error's that is with the bible with the Quran, and that the same might have happened to the bible to the Quran. Well, if you should note the Quran and the bible has a total different history.

With the matter of Quran, you are assuming that muhhamed recieved a revelation from God and he made a mistake and carried on failing to reaslise, when conveying the same message to the people and God failed to notice his error and when the next revelation came God forget to correct him, or through his angel Gabreil.

All people may mistake, but in the matter of recieving the revelation I don't think their was any mistake made and when he was conveying the revelation to his people, otherwise you must also assume god was forgetful and made mistake too (God forbid).

I know you are here to learn and I appreciate that. Maybe the MOD can help with you on the history of the Quran and it's preservation e.t.c

How sure are you Jew's don't fast and christian don't fast?

iLL_LeaT
05-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I think you are making a mistake saying like he forgot or made a mistake when reciting the revelation back to the people. The fact he was given revelation without any mistake in conveyance, you allude the fact the QURAN was not revealed in one night but it was more like passage by passage. Next you are assuming he made a mistake when conveying the message to the people, and had a poor memory and thus was not conveyed accurately. Next you are assuming that people that the passage was conveyed to, did not memorise the passage revealed to muhhamed, and that they too probably had poor memory and made mistake, and everybody who made mistake reciting the passage from the quran made the mistake in the same point or word and people failed to write some of it down somewhere e.t.c

Next you are transcribing error's that is with the bible with the Quran, and that the same might have happened to the bible to the Quran. Well, if you should note the Quran and the bible has a total different history.

With the matter of Quran, you are assuming that muhhamed recieved a revelation from God and he made a mistake and carried on failing to reaslise, when conveying the same message to the people and God failed to notice his error and when the next revelation came God forget to correct him, or through his angel Gabreil.

All people may mistake, but in the matter of recieving the revelation I don't think their was any mistake made and when he was conveying the revelation to his people, otherwise you must also assume god was forgetful and made mistake too (God forbid).

I know you are here to learn and I appreciate that. Maybe the MOD can help with you on the history of the Quran and it's preservation e.t.c

How sure are you Jew's don't fast and christian don't fast?
Hmmmm.... that is very true. The word was past to Muhammad over a long period of time and mistakes made by Muhammad could have been corrected during those years. Very interesting.

As for Jew and Christians fasting, some do. However, not necessarily in the 9th month

Umar001
05-30-2006, 01:20 PM
This is all very true. How do I even know any of what is left is the word of God? I don’t. Personally I think that to sift out lies you should look to other sources, Quern or whatever. Through both the Quern and the Bible we see an overall meaning is of peace and love. That is what is important to me. Not who said this, or who did what, the overall meaning is important.
See now the thing with this is, that you don't mind who said it and so forth, so you indirectly would not mind taking guidance from men who may not have been sent by Almighty G-d. Although I agree that the overall theme of both books seems to be of love and peace, this does not consequently mean that both, or one should be followed.

Now the natural question would be, “Well the Quern teaches this, why look anywhere else?” Well why not seek out other sources? My own personal belief is that the Quern may not be 100% true. This is a very hard statement for most Muslims to hear, but Mohammed was just a man. And men make mistakes.
Well it is only logical that G-d would chose a person and uplift that person, in order to keep the message free from error.
Also, Islamicly speaking I think Muslims have the incident of honey and of the blind man, in which Mohammed peace be upon him is corrected,

I have heard the argument that Allah would have not let falsehood come from the Quern. But Allah let falsehood come from the Bible.
Think about this logically now.

1. The Bible as a whole is not from Almighty G-d, maybe some books that are in there resemble the revelation sent, for example, the Torah may resemble the revelation to Moses peace be upon him, the Psalms may resemble the revelation to David peace be upon him, there is not Gospel of Jesus so that aint even resembling nothing.

The more you go into it the more you see theories such as the 4 authors of the Torah we have now, so how can we even say that the Bible's book of Moses are anything of Moses'. Psalms, you should read what the Bible says on it.

But even if I agree with you, for the sake of arguement, that maybe what we have in the Bible now is changed revelation, we can understand, Who was Moses Sent to? Who was David sent to? Who was Jesus sent to? and what time period were they sent to?

See once you have concluded the answers to these you can understand pretty clear.

Let me give you an example, if I have a letter to give to a group of 5 people, and the letter is only needed for 5 hours until a further messenger can come with another set of instruction for them, then, after those 5 hours, would I still need that letter? Nope, becaue a new letter will have arrived a letter which is more updated, which is more relavent and because the old instructions were only for a set time period they dont apply no more, so since the old letter is not needed, there is no need for me to guard it!

Same with the message of the people of old, if the people they were sent to and the time period the message was for has passed why would G-d need to keep the books the same?

The Qu'ran though is sent as a mercy to the Alameen, it is sent for now on if I am not mistaken, so therefore it is only logical it is guarded, since it is still supposed to be a guidance for us.

Mohammed himself clamed that the word of god was hard to understand sometimes.
Its probably my lack of knowledge but I haven't heard this.

Example, Ramadan is strictly an Islamic thing, and Ramadan was practiced before Mohammed was a profit. It has been apart of the Arabia’s culture for ever, long before monotheism. Some Christians and Jew practice fasting, but not necessary in the 9th month. If Allah thinks everyone should fast in the 9th month, don’t you think Christians and Jew would do it in that month?
Ok, well two things on whether it was part of the culture or not.
I am not aware if it was or wasn't, but if it was then most will probably say it was a costum descended from Abraham peace be upon him or someone like that.

I think Christians fast due to JEsus' fasting too, I dont know.

If I am also not mistaken to my understanding fasting was prescribed to some before the coming of the Law given to Mohammed, so it wouldnt be anything amazing bro.

As for if G-d wanted people to fast in that month why wouldnt the rest do it, well, somethings are given in some laws and some are not, like the making of statues not being Haram in the time of Sulaiman, thats something he was allowed under his law.

I don't see the point in dwelling on such things personally, but if it is something bothering you I sincerly hope you find the truth in it.

EDIT: Peep:

002.183 YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-
PICKTHAL: O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil);
SHAKIR: O you who believe! fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may guard (against evil).

Well most surprising statement I have seen :p glad you see that and I hope that we can benefit from each other.

Don't assume :p

Yes, it could be.
Lol well that's the comperative religion section for ya :thankyou:

Peaceeeeeee

faadil
05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Assalam alaikum brothers and sisters i think the bible does not have the words of god in it because it edited so much that it becomes not the word of god but the word of man.

Sabi
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
As for Jew and Christians fasting, some do. However, not necessarily in the 9th month
Salaam iLL_Leat, How is it going so far? I told you that they were nice here didn't I?

The ninth month (Khislev) used to be the major fasting month for Christians until Lent took over in importance. Sabi`een stil fast through Khislev, though many have preferred to fast during the ninth month with Muslims over the years.

As for Jews, The only long period of mourning which many fast through is the feest of weeks which is about to come to an end this week with Shavuot. Some Sabi`een in Australia fast with Jews during this period.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe

Ninth Scribe
LOL nice one sis.

P.S. Are you a Sabi? Send me a message.

iLL_LeaT
05-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Don't assume :p
Religion is an assumption caused from the fear there could be nothing after life.

(It’s very scary to come to this realization)

Almost all Muslims just assume that Mohammed was too ignorant to come up with the Quran himself. However, most people confuse ignorance with illiteracy.

Because you can’t read or right, does not mean you are stupid. Up until not to long ago, very few people could read or right. That does not mean they were stupid.

Mohammed had a lot of power. He had a rich wife, and he rubbed shoulders with a lot of powerful people. However, his allegiance was with the tribe. As he watched capitalism take over, he was appalled at the inequality that was forming. And then, the answer came to him. Through Gabriel? Could be I guess. Anything could happen.

What do I think? I think the more educated I get on everything, the more confused I get.

But my point is that EVERYTHING is an assumption!

Umar001
05-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Religion is an assumption caused from the fear there could be nothing after life.

Almost all Muslims just assume that Mohammed was too ignorant to come up with the Quran himself. However, most people confuse ignorance with illiteracy.

Because you can’t read or right, does not mean you are stupid. Up until not to long ago, very few people could read or right. That does not mean they were stupid.

Mohammed had a lot of power. He had a rich wife, and he rubbed shoulders with a lot of powerful people. However, his allegiance was with the tribe. As he watched capitalism take over, he was appalled at the inequality that was forming. And then, the answer came to him. Through Gabriel? Could be I guess. Anything could happen.

What do I think? I think the more educated I get on everything, the more confused I get.

I cant answer all this at the moment, but for the first part about not there being an after life.

See, in honesty, I, before Islam, rather have a ball in this life and have no after life, I rather go crazy and do all sorts of things and have no backlash. It wasnt a fear of not having an afterlife that brought me to religion.

And come on, whats more scary than having a chance of being in total torment for eternity.

iLL_LeaT
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Sorry my last post was very one sided

I’m going to argue against my last points to even things up.

Even if this is true, perhaps this is a natural safety precaution. This human mechanism could a sort of natural guide to God.

Just because that fear is there, dose not mean there is no God.

Let’s say Muhammad was very smart. Does that make his word any less valuable? Since Muhammad’s allegiance was with the tribe, he would be the best person to pass on the word of Allah, preaching peace and equality.

It would be ignorant of Allah to choose someone who would rather be rich then speak the truth. There is no point in speaking to deaf ears. Muhammad had open ears and wanted this equality and peace.

Round and round my mind goes, were it will stop, no one knows

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.