/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is the holy book the only truth?

iLL_LeaT
05-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I found a quote that provoked a lot of thought.

“We should not be ashamed to acknowledge truth and to assimilate it from whatever source it comes to us, even if it is brought to us by former generations and foreign people. For him who seeks the truth there is nothing of higher value than truth itself; it never cheapens or debases him who reaches for it but ennobles and honors him” - Seyyed Hossein Nasr

So what do you think?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
:sl:
The Quran encorages us to do science. That's why I voted for the second option.
:w:

Woodrow
05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT
I found a quote that provoked a lot of thought.

“We should not be ashamed to acknowledge truth and to assimilate it from whatever source it comes to us, even if it is brought to us by former generations and foreign people. For him who seeks the truth there is nothing of higher value than truth itself; it never cheapens or debases him who reaches for it but ennobles and honors him” - Seyyed Hossein Nasr

So what do you think?
I'm Curious as to the context this was originaly said in, what was being discussed when these words were said? Would have different meanings in discussions about Medicine, physics, Philosophy, Politics or Religion. The meaning of the statement would vary depending on when, where or why it was said.

primitivefuture
05-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Science is truth as well.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
salam.
not all the time :rollseyes

Fishman
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
I know. But it's not the Quran though, and that was what the question was about.
:w:

iLL_LeaT
05-25-2006, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I'm Curious as to the context this was originaly said in, what was being discussed when these words were said? Would have different meanings in discussions about Medicine, physics, Philosophy, Politics or Religion. The meaning of the statement would vary depending on when, where or why it was said.
"A History of God" by Karen Armstrong

Taking about the Philosopher's or Falsafah religion.

Very good book, I recommend it. Seems to not look at religion from a bias point of view.

Woodrow
05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT
"A History of God" by Karen Armstrong

Taking about the Philosopher's or Falsafah religion.

Very good book, I recommend it. Seems to not look at religion from a bias point of view.
Shukran, I chose answer 2. It is best to consult the Qur'an, but sometimes we can understand the Qur'an better, if we have another viewpoint. We have to remember, we live in a large variety of languages and cultures. Sometimes to understand what another person is saying we have to see what they are saying and not rely on definitions.

Plus, in learning about material things we have to look to sources that are knowledgable about the matter. If I wanted to know the ingrediants of "Moo-goo gai pan" I would look in a Chinese cookbook. If I wanted to know if I could eat it, I would consult the Qur'an.

syilla
05-26-2006, 03:06 AM
truth is everywhere...

we're just blinded with our own desire....and not seeing the truth

ISDhillon
05-26-2006, 08:56 PM
truth is gods name

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-26-2006, 09:18 PM
i voted 2nd.. cuz we cud luk in da hadiiths etc

Abdullah4ever
05-26-2006, 09:29 PM

me too, i totaly agree musim4life. Quran is our first option no doubt then we should look in the hadiths.

Al-Mu'min
05-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Peace and blessings,

The Quran highly encourages us to gather knowledge. As far as religious knowledge is concerned, we should look no further than the Quran and Sunnah. These contain the information we need in all aspects of our lives.

Other religious knowledge should be looked in the Gospels and Torah since they where devinely revealed by Allah. However we should only depend on the Quran since it is the final and uncorrupted message of God.

As far as seeking scientific knowledge goes, there should be no problem since science and the Quran and Sunnah have no contradictions and are compatible. They go hand in hand and learning and understanding them is highly encouraged by Allah and His Prophet (pbuh).

Knowledge is power. We should seek and benefit from it wherever we find it.

Peace out.

catmando
05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISDhillon
truth is gods name
Well then ALL the so-called 'holy books' are truth because they use their god's name, wouldn't you say? However, my thinking on this subject is all the holy books were written within their respective cultures and reflect those cultural ideas about god.

In the Christian culture, the one I know the most about, it was Jehovah who put the words of the bible in the writers' minds, which they then wrote down. Of course there is no proof of that, and Christians just believe it because their godmen say so.

Trumble
06-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Truth is to be found inside your mind and heart (in a metaphorical sense), although obviously you are shaped by many experiences, not least of which may be reading one or more holy books, or the teaching of a master, guru or similar figure.

Think about it. If you find yourself in position where you need to make an immediate moral decision of importance what do you do? What you think is right. Sometimes you may have the luxury of studying the Qur'an, Bible or other holy book, but usually its up to you. If you believe in a God, you must also believe that He gave you the capacity to act in the right way without needing to rush off and consult the appropriate chapter and paragraph.

Umar001
06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Truth is to be found inside your mind and heart (in a metaphorical sense), although obviously you are shaped by many experiences, not least of which may be reading one or more holy books, or the teaching of a master, guru or similar figure.

Think about it. If you find yourself in position where you need to make an immediate moral decision of importance what do you do? What you think is right. Sometimes you may have the luxury of studying the Qur'an, Bible or other holy book, but usually its up to you. If you believe in a God, you must also believe that He gave you the capacity to act in the right way without needing to rush off and consult the appropriate chapter and paragraph.

I think Muslims call it fitrah.

Umar001
06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
But as you have stated, the truth which would be found can be shaped by those around us and society.

So what people found as normal truth 100 years back, maybe that Homosexuality was not a moral thing.

People now are begging to accept it, and as kids grow up they accept it more and more, so the morals they have is not the same as the morals 100 back.

Which shows how the truth in us can be effected so much from an outisde force unless we have firm teachings of the truth and we study them.

Then again we have to establish if there are any firm teachings of truth, lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.