/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Dictionary

hadimaj
05-28-2006, 05:39 AM
:sl:

Any one of you here have tried Pocket Speaking/Non Speaking Dictionary. Arabic to English Translation. I'm thinking of getting one, but do not know which is the best. Regarding both the contents and the price. As i know there are varieties available in the market.

:w:
:sister:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ConfusedMuslim
05-28-2006, 05:56 AM
I have one. I hardly use it though.

You speak arabic right?

Or do you speak English?

north_malaysian
05-29-2006, 05:01 AM
When I was in secondary school, I had one, by Elias ...something. It's good because you can put it in your pocket. But my arabic teacher scolded me because the Dictionary is made by Christian arabs.

hadimaj
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm a non arabic speaker , but alhamdulillah I've been learning this wonderful language for years in a part time school. And I still got a long way to go.....
Syukran for the respond.Most of the dictionary I saw in the net are branded "Najm", but there are so many type of models. Do not know which is the best to get.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IceQueen~
07-07-2006, 01:18 PM
i heard the hans wehr (if that's spelt right) is really good.
you can also get a little pocket dictionary quareeb al-mawrid which has english to arabic and arabic to english.

umm-sulaim
07-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah the Hans Wehr is really good, and it helps if you know 3ilm sarf, how to conjrugate cos you need to know the root of each verb and stuff.
It's quite a thick book not a pocket book, but the mawrid sister marya mentioned is good.

hadimaj
07-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Syukran for replying. As for the hans wher dictionary, i have it too.. Alhamdulillah it is very useful. Im interested in the electronic one (handheld)
A friend of my saw one in Dubai, Atlas touch-screen, cost ranging from 400 dirham onwards. What do you guys think? Is it too expensive? Don't know if it works well coz she knows no arabic.
wassalam

umm-sulaim
07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Wow an electroni hans wehr,,,ya Alllah....thank Allah for technology thats too good.....hmm although it takes the fun out of looking for those unknown words!!
but it'll save time too, but wow!!
Let me know how it goes if you but it.
How much is 400 dirhams in pounds/dollars?

Mujahidah4Allah
07-30-2006, 06:32 PM

anyone know where i can get 2 sets [arabic to english] + [english to arabic]?

ma'salamah

afriend
07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal

anyone know where i can get 2 sets [arabic to english] + [english to arabic]?

ma'salamah
They usually come as 2 in 1....So u get Ar-En and vice versa in one dictionary.........

If u live in London, try Islamic bookshops...or even try your local library....

Mujahidah4Allah
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM

well my boarding school sell it for £30 two seperate sets but i wanna know if you can get it cheaper if not then i suppose i'll buy that, i really need it for fiqh cuz the words are hard in the book...

ma'salamah

snakelegs
07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ConfusedMuslim
I have one. I hardly use it though.

You speak arabic right?

Or do you speak English?
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

snakelegs
07-30-2006, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
When I was in secondary school, I had one, by Elias ...something. It's good because you can put it in your pocket. But my arabic teacher scolded me because the Dictionary is made by Christian arabs.
do christian arabs speak a different form of arabic than muslim arabs?

syilla
08-07-2006, 02:00 AM
i use one...but for the primary students...hehe...

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
do christian arabs speak a different form of arabic than muslim arabs?
How should I know? It just the same... from what I've heard...

I've got a grammar book from my cousin (who studied Arabic in Morocco) very detailed and the author is a Christian Lebanese. He used lots of Koranic verses as examples in his book ... so for me nothing wrong with that....

Al-Hanbali
02-18-2008, 07:45 PM
:salamext:

Does anyone have the 'Hans-Wehr' dictionary in PDF format or know where the cheapest place to purchase one from?

asadxyz
02-24-2008, 03:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
:salamext:

Does anyone have the 'Hans-Wehr' dictionary in PDF format or know where the cheapest place to purchase one from?
http://waqfeya.com/open.php?cat=30&book=1510

http://waqfeya.com/open.php?cat=30&book=1508

http://waqfeya.com/open.php?cat=30&book=1487

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.