/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Removed

tabligh
06-03-2006, 12:34 AM
I think the picture of the small kid praying in banner of this site shoud be removed because pictures are harram.

It is totally Haraam (forbidden) to watch ‘Kafir TV’ or ‘Muslim TV’. The reason for ‘Kaafir TV’ being Haraam is obvious. Pictures of nude males and females are portrayed, music is played in the background, immoral acts are viewed and countless of other immoral acts are displayed, let alone an ordinary Muslim. Even the Kuffaar of today admit to the harms of TV and the filth that is displayed on it.

Muslim TV is also Haraam because strange [non-Mahram] men and women are viewed as well as Muslim TV contains pictures of animate objects. Allah Ta’ala has commanded the men and women to lower their gazes and prohibited us from looking at the opposite gender. Allah Ta’ala states in the Qur’aan, ‘Say, O Muhammad, to the believing men that they should lower their gazes.’ Thereafter, in the next Aayat, Allah Ta’ala states, ‘Say, O Muhammad, to the believing women that they should lower their gazes.

Together with that, to produce pictures or images, be it digital or hard copy is Haraam. There is no difference regarding pictures or images portrayed on TV, digital camera or hard copy pictures. To produce such pictures and to view such pictures is totally Haraam. The argument used that the image goes away when the TV is switched off therefore, it should not be Haraam is baseless. The fact that it is an image or picture makes it Haraam. There are extremely severe warnings in the Hadith regarding picture-making.

1. It is narrated on the authority of Abu Talha [radhiallaahu anhu] that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘The Malaaikah [angels] do not enter a house wherein pictures are displayed.’

2. It is narrated on the authority of ibn Umar [radhiallaahu anhu] that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘Those who create pictures will be punished on the day of judgment. They will be ordered to bring to life those pictures which they created.’ (Muslim Hadith5501)

3. It is narrated on the authority of ibn Abbaas [radhiallaahu anhu] that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘Every person who is involved in picture making will be thrown in Jahannam (hell) and each picture which he created will be brought to life and will torment this person in Jahannum.’ (Ibid)

4. It is narrated on the authority of ibn Abbaas [radhiallaahu anhu] that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘Whoever creates a picture of animate object in this world, he will be ordered to bring it to life whereas he will not be able to do so.’ (Ibid)

5. It is narrated on the authority of ibn Mas’ood [radhiallaahu anhu] that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘People who will be given the most severe punishment on the day of judgment will be those who were involved in picture making.’ (Ibid)

From the abovementioned narrations, the severity of the sin of picture making is clear. One should stay far away as possible from anything related to pictures. Although it may be argued that ‘Muslim TV’ holds a lot of good in it, for example, recitation of the Qur’aan, Islamic discourses and prayers being broadcasted from the holy Musjids, etc. nevertheless, there is more evil and wrong in it than good. The first evil in it is viewing pictures of animate objects which is impermissible in the Shari’ah.

The Qur’aan has laid down the general principle that that item which holds good and bad or benefit and harm and the bad is more than the good, then that item will be declared Haraam in the Shari’ah. This is the very same reason why wine was made Haraam. Wine in itself holds many benefits as well as many harms because of wine holding more evil and harm than the good it contains, it was declared Haraam in the Shari’ah.

The same law applies to ‘Muslim TV’ apparently it may seem good as it contains the recitation of the Qur’aan and Islamic discourses, etc. However, the evil of it exceeds the good by far. The first and most vile evil is the viewing of the pictures and looking at non-Mahram men and women which is flouting the commands of Allah Ta’ala. Hence, Muslim TV, which is in reality also a Kaafir TV, is prohibited in the Shari’ah.

To use TV systems for security purposes only is permissible if there is a dire need. Shari’ah relaxes the law for such necessities. As for using TV merely to learn the difficult state around the world, then this is not permissible since there is no need for a TV to learn about the difficult state of the Muslims. One can obtain information from many other sources like the internet, radio, newspaper, etc.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...e9732add2f2d07

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tabligh
06-03-2006, 12:37 AM
views?

ishkabab
06-03-2006, 12:42 AM
i agree with u bro but unfortunetly u'll see some people here have there own views....oh yeh by the way nice user name..:)

tabligh
06-03-2006, 12:43 AM
jazakallah bro have u ever been in Tabligh Jammat

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
:sl:

See this is why I'm gonna study the deen I'm sick of one group saying they're right and when you go ask the other they'll say there right, the genral muslims are cluless when it comes to the deen, were spoon-fed information.

Joe98
06-03-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tabligh
.....the sin of picture making is clear. One should stay far away as possible from anything related to pictures.

One can obtain information from many other sources like the internet, radio, newspaper, etc

The internet and newspapers have pictures too.

Thank you for keeping informed about Islam.

-

tabligh
06-03-2006, 01:35 AM
True they do but this is a islam site and shoud be used my the islamic laws

sonz
06-03-2006, 07:01 AM
salama

i herd admins say that pictures via computers do not come under the same heading like pictures in real life such as on walls

maybe admin ansar can clarify

chk this out

Question :

I have a question regarding pictures -Are pictures that are manafactured through means such as video, computers etc.
(i.e. they come on and off the screen)permissable? Can you please verify this with proof and evidence?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The ruling on a thing depends on the way in which it is perceived. It is essential to know how the picture-making you refer to is done. The author of Risaalat Ahkaam al-Tasweer (The ruling on picture-making) said:

1. Movie pictures or pictures on a cinema film:

This is a method which transmits moving pictures with sound for a limited time span, showing all the events that happened within this time frame. The picture which is shown by the film on the screen is the shadow or reflection of that thing, not its real essence, after it has been recorded on the film. It says in al-Sharee’ah al-Islamiyyah wa’l-Funoon (Islamic sharee’ah and the Arts) that the cinema is called [in Arabic] akhyaliyyah [from khayaal, meaning shadow or dim reflection], “because it shows the shadows of things, not their real essence.”

2 – TV pictures

This is a method which transmits pictures and sounds at the same time via an electrical impulse. This is the result of the effect of light from the object whose picture is being taken being reflected on a mica sheet which is covered with a vast number of tiny particles made of photosensitive material, manufactured from silver oxide and caesium, of which the particles are separated from one another and isolated electrically.

This kind of image-making using machines is very similar to the image on a movie film, but in TV pictures, the images are changed to electronic signals, then to electromagnetic waves, which are then either sent via antennas to be picked up by the receiving apparatus in TV sets, within the range that the signal can reach, or they are sent to be stored in the form of magnetic changes on plastic tapes that have been plated with the appropriate magnetic substance that can store these waves.

In order to show what has been recorded on these tapes after these waves have been stored, it has to pass through a machine which transforms it once more into electronic signals then sends it to a screen in the form of electrical signals, so that it appears as a picture, but only after a complex operation.

The TV set is the equipment which receives the electrical waves and gathers them, then transmits them in a regulated manner in the form of a picture with complete features.

There is another kind which is considered to be similar to this kind of image-making. This is something similar to the telephone which is used in some industrially-advanced countries, which transmits both the voice and the image of the speaker, so both parties can see one another on the screen of the device on which they are talking.

Similarly, there are cameras which are installed at the doors of houses. This system picks up the voice and image of the person who is coming to the house and transmits it to a screen inside the house, so that whoever is inside the house can see it clearly. And similarly there is equipment which is used to watch out for criminals stealing and so on in banks, stores, etc.

These kinds of equipment are considered to be of one kind, but are used for a variety of purposes, whereby the camera covers the area which is to be watched over, and it transmits the images to a screen like a TV, where the image appears clearly. New things are appearing all the time, and we do not know what will appear in the future. If this indicates anything, it indicates the mind-boggling expansion of the use of machines to make images of both kinds, both still and moving, in many areas, including manufacturing, war, security, education, medicine, social, etc.

Ahkaam al-Tasweer by Ahmad ibn ‘Ali Waasil, p. 65-67

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=10326&dgn=4

snakelegs
06-03-2006, 08:14 AM
tabliqh,
why are you on the internet?

Inshallah
06-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Why do people preach islam when they don't follow islam themselves. :rollseyes

SirZubair
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I personally dont believe that one should preach what one doesnt follow,but what i've heard someone say (which i somewhat agree with) is :

"it is better to not practise yet preach,than to not practise and not preach at all.Because even when you arent practising,and you are preaching,insha'allah those that you preach to might start to follow the straight path,and they will benefit from it.And then they will make dua/pray for you,and eventually you might start to practise it yourself."

Come to think of it,it makes sense.

Wa'salaam.

SirZubair
06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I have.I just got back home a little while ago from the Mosque,we went out in groups to Muslim brothers houses inviting them to the mosque for isha' salaat.

Allhumdulilah,nice turnout :)

Wasalaam.

Malaikah
06-03-2006, 09:42 AM

actually there are different opinons about whether photography is haram, we know that the prophet pbuh didnt allow people to draw anything that is alive, however as photography did not exist at the prophets time, there are differences in opinion as to whether is it allowed.

i personally think the picture should be removed becuase it is invasion of personal privacy...

Question: Why do some scholars claim that photography is unlawful while others consider it lawful?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

Please understand that photography did not exist at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Therefore, scholars have to compare photography to matters that Islam has ruled about. The ruling, therefore, is not based on an explicit text but on juristic discretion (ijtihâd).

Some scholars have compared photography to hand-drawn pictures. Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates from the Prophet (peace be upon him): “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahih Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest penalty on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahih Mulsim]

Photography resembles drawing pictures in that it is a human effort that results in a fixed image of a person or an animal on a flat surface. Therefore, some scholars ruled that photographing people and animals is unlawful, because it falls under the prohibited act of image-making.

There are, however, significant differences between drawing a picture and taking a photograph. Drawing a picture is a fully creative process on the part of the artist. Photography is capturing a reflected image on film or in digital memory. The creative contribution of the photographer is therefore quite different than the creative contribution of a portrait maker. For this reason many scholars, including Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, consider photography to be lawful.

And Allah knows best.
Source

Musaafirah
06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
With regards to pictures, so many people have so many different views.Though I have learnt that it is totally forbidden because of the fact that it can lead to Idol worship, so it's obvious that it should be avoided. But Nowadays people do misinterpret Haidths and in some case people alter them to suit their views (apologies in advance if i make no sense).
But Have you noticed that many people seem to expect to get reliable information about Deen without having to leave their houses and without having been taught by an actual scholar? Apologies if I seem to have gone off topic.
:w:

Muezzin
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I personally dont believe that one should preach what one doesnt follow,but what i've heard someone say (which i somewhat agree with) is :

"it is better to not practise yet preach,than to not practise and not preach at all.Because even when you arent practising,and you are preaching,insha'allah those that you preach to might start to follow the straight path,and they will benefit from it.And then they will make dua/pray for you,and eventually you might start to practise it yourself."

Wa'salaam.
Yeah, but it's probably better to practice in the first place. :)

SirZubair
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yeah, but it's probably better to practice in the first place. :)
No doubt about that akhi. :)

But yeah,im sure you understood what i was getting at :)

wa'salaam

-Zubair

Ghazi
06-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Wa'salaam.

Doesn't that make someone sound hyprocritical.

SirZubair
06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Doesn't that me someone sound hyprocritical.
Once again,no doubt.

But dont under-estimate the power of Dua/prayer.It can turn a hypocrite into a practitioner.

Wa'salaam.

ishkabab
06-03-2006, 03:36 PM
edit** you mean sister.....and yes i have gone to jammat a couple of times mashAllah...

ishkabab
06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I have.I just got back home a little while ago from the Mosque,we went out in groups to Muslim brothers houses inviting them to the mosque for isha' salaat.

Allhumdulilah,nice turnout :)

Wasalaam.
oh thats great mashAllah doing gusht helps alot...

snakelegs
06-03-2006, 05:40 PM
the thing about pictures is that it was not always true historically. here is a link to some art portraying the prophet himself!

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ophet-art.html

so it seems that sometimes it was forbidden and sometimes permitted.

i still don't understand how someone who thinks even muslim tv is haram could be on the internet.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
............. no comment...

why what's wrong with the internet? : snakelegs

(peace)

snakelegs
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
............. no comment...

why what's wrong with the internet? : snakelegs

(peace)
nothing at all from my standpoint but how do you avoid seeing pictures on the internet? i've seen some in ads that even i think are disgusting. so i would think that anyone who thinks that even muslim tv is haram would not be able to use the internet.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Ohh yeah that's true ...you mean pop-ups and that?

But you don't intend to see them, pop-ups i mean, they come out of nowhere, your not aware that they will come up at a certain moment...

But Tv...You know there are pictures about...right...and you intend to go and turn on the television and watch The Simpsons or whatever,

Allah knows best!

(Peace)

snakelegs
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
Ohh yeah that's true ...you mean pop-ups and that?

But you don't intend to see them, pop-ups i mean, they come out of nowhere, your not aware that they will come up at a certain moment...

But Tv...You know there are pictures about...right...and you intend to go and turn on the television and watch The Simpsons or whatever,

Allah knows best!

(Peace)
i don't have a tv. yes, it's not just pop-ups either. like you're forced to look at ads for diet crap with a half-naked skinny woman. in the past yahoo groups had some very offensive ads - lately this has gotten better.

Woodrow
06-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Pictures on TV and the internet are a very interesting phenomena. Hard to belive but at no time is there ever a full picture on the screen. What we are actually seeing are a series of dots that if frozen at a given instant would be quite without meaning. It is only our own perception that is able to perceive them as a picture. Of course if you use your printer to print a picture, you will have an actual image.

I could understand it if the scholars do not consider a TV or internet picture as being an image as in reality there never is an actual image on the screen.

However, I am not an Islamic scholar and that is only my opinion. I just consider the screen as being a series of independant pixels that are only visible for about 1/32 of a second each. It is only because my brain is able to merge all of these seperate dots that I am able to have an illusion of a picture.

snakelegs
06-04-2006, 08:14 AM
this was my understanding also from one of the LI administrators - that a picture on the tv or computer is not tangible so it is not in the same category.
but, the original poster on this thread wanted the picture on the LI forum "logo" removed. also, you know all the avatars that depicted people were removed.
go figger.

Far7an
06-04-2006, 09:08 AM

also, you know all the avatars that depicted people were removed.
go figger.
As one of the admins so eloquently put it:
We're not saying that pictures of people are all wrong, we are saying that giving members the privelage to choose such a picture for their avatar or sig or profile pic opens the door to many selections that are not appropriate for an Islamic forum. If we were removing all pictures of humans because we felt they were haram, then that would be a different issue. But here we are only taking away a privelgae from members.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.