/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teachers unite here.

shudnt_have
06-09-2006, 04:30 AM
:sl:
This is cool teacher's corner. Please your experiences and techniques here with us. And How to deal with cute little rowdy kids? :statisfie

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shudnt_have
06-09-2006, 09:37 PM

It was fun filled another day for me. Al hamdoulilah. I got lots of hugs and appreciation from the kids and the principal for my little efforts. Al hamdoulilah.

One of the problems I faced today...one kid ignoring the other. well it is not something new to me. Because I see this kind of attitute in the groups of adults as well..well with kids, i think it is different. they need to be loved, cherish more then most of the adults.

When I saw this maymuna sister ignorning the other..I threw the typical appropach out the window..and I tried to unify these two young girls..by my made up story about a girl and I not getting along then we are friends when we opened up and got to know eachother...and we were best friends in no time...

I didnt know what to say? How should I approach problems like this?

good sites to check out..

http://teachers.net/gazette/MAR01/hoover.html
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/HelpingStudents/index.html
http://www.positiveparenting.com/new...html#section_3

Al-Hanbali
06-09-2006, 09:40 PM
mashalllah wot skool do you teach at?

Muezzin
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shudnt_have
And How to deal with cute little rowdy kids? :statisfie

That'll certainly help 'em see stars.

Which is why it's probably better for the sake of parents, children and society at large that I am not a teacher. :brother:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
06-09-2006, 10:29 PM
*wants to be a teacher*, need to be taught first ! :(

And i will defo make du'a for Muezzins children, May Allah (Swt) help them, Amin!

(Read in an American accent sounds funnier)

Helena
06-09-2006, 10:37 PM

am doing a degree planning to be a teacher inshalah...another one year to go....

but still can not imagine myself as a teacher....dont knw wt future holds for me....only Allah(swt)...everything happens for the best!

Inshalah to teach in a junior school or perhaps in my dads madrasha...but noooo way secondary school, i'll be a kid myself...nowadys children are too advance!

F.Y.
06-10-2006, 02:33 AM

One of the problems I faced today...one kid ignoring the other. well it is not something new to me. Because I see this kind of attitute in the groups of adults as well..well with kids, i think it is different. they need to be loved, cherish more then most of the adults.

I didnt know what to say? How should I approach problems like this?

[/url]
Sister, I am in my third year of education and i have taught at about three schools. Of oucrse its different if they're not really your class and you only have 2/4weeks with them. But I know what I would do if they were my 'proper' class. I would tell a story/read a book about a similar issue. Read in an animated way, really make sure you have the interest of the students. Then get the kids to do activities based on the characters in the book - their feelings, emotions, etc. Then you explicitly tie this back to what you saw the two girls doing. Dont name the students - just make it obvious some of the strategies they can use to become friends again. Get the kids to help you out - ask them, what kinds of 'nice' things can they think of doing if they werent getting along with someone...what kinds of things did they see in the book? List the strategies they can use through pictures and writing; make a chart, display them on the wall in a colourful way.

Inshallah, I hope that helps a bit.
Peace

muzna
06-10-2006, 06:37 AM
it was the strangest thing...i had nothing to do between high school and college so i taught 5th and 6th grades for two months...i totally couldnt handle them...rowdiest bunch of girls i ever saw...i was 17..i could handle high school students..but not 10-12 year olds

Nablus
06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
most of my students love me and apppreciate me .bcz I giv thm the chance to express them selves and complain. I always solve their problems

The Ruler
06-10-2006, 05:48 PM

if ders a teacher's corner, der shud b a students corner too....naa not really ;)

but hey dis is gonna help me kno de teachers' secret techniques in dealin wid kids n proly gimme sum hints on hoe ta annoy dem more too ;) :p

Hijaabi22
06-10-2006, 05:59 PM
teachin sux i quit after 2 years of my degree

amirah_87
06-10-2006, 10:20 PM
i'm a trainee TA at this all girls secondary skool....and it's pretty kool y'know

teachin' ain't that bad y'know......

i work with the visualy impaired from time to time aswell ...and other pupils with disabilities......

the girls i'm with are mature not that rowdy .. u don't have to be shoutin' at them 24/7,,,,,

they like me aswell cause i'm not that much older than then like other teachers are..so they feel more open with me n' stuff.....so alls good alhamdulillah

i have'nt encountered anything from outer space yet!!

Mawaddah
06-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm 18 and I teach mostly older women, like in mid 30's and such, and you would expect them to be mature, and they are pretty much actually in most aspects, but sometimes they can get to be really childish, for example if they have disagreements with each other, they bring it on into class and it gets a bit awkwrd sometimes :(

I also teach kids from time to time, and I find them so sweet and nice to teach!! I love teaching children because they're so l ovable y'know.

amirah_87
06-10-2006, 10:30 PM
i know what you mean with the older women..........*rolls eyes*

like when i'm teachin them quraan ... they kinda look down on me, they can' t except the fact that i know more than them!!!!!

lil kids are too whiney for me

i'll stick to my teens thanx

Mawaddah
06-11-2006, 11:38 AM
^ Lol Princess ;D ;D I get the same thing you know sometimes from the older women, it's like they get pissed sometimes when I tell them that they're wrong ;D
But that's why you have to deal with them with Hikmah and patience and tell them in a nice way......then they wont mind that much Insha'allah :)

I like teaching teens too.....but the problem with that is that sometimes they start to view you as a 'friend' and then the line between 'friend' and 'teacher' gets kinda blurry, and that's not exactly wanted too....

'Ah well....I guess it all goes back to the way we handle the situation :)

Sweet_Boy
06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
i find teaching tough i mean im only a kid but i mean how does the teacher cope with all that planning and kids messsing around doesnt that get annoying ....

and do teachers get paid less i mean it is probably a joke ... but i have heard many teacher say ...

Maybe one day i will earn some real money .... :)

amirah_87
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah They Do Get Ripped Off ..... Mind You When I Become A Proper Teacher I Ain't Teachin' Down Here ...i'm Takin' My Selfs To One Of The Arabs Countries....
The Pay Is Good There Free From Tax's Too..they Also Give You A House, Free Medical Care For You And Your Family.......and Other Stuff..
I Mean What More Could You Want?????
And Besides It's Also A Muslim Country!!!!!

I Actually Just Finished Teaching Sum Kids Arabic N' Quran!!!..........you Know If They Respect You From The Beginning Or They Scared Of You ...they Won't Even Try To Muck About ..."treat Em Mean..and Keep Em' Keen".........i Mean I Do Sofen Up On Them From Time To Time ..but When Quraan's Concerned And They Have'nt Done Threr Hifd ...boy O' Boy!!!!..!!!!!!!!

Sweet_Boy
06-11-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Yeah They Do Get Ripped Off ..... Mind You When I Become A Proper Teacher I Ain't Teachin' Down Here ...i'm Takin' My Selfs To One Of The Arabs Countries....
The Pay Is Good There Free From Tax's Too..they Also Give You A House, Free Medical Care For You And Your Family.......and Other Stuff..
I Mean What More Could You Want?????
And Besides It's Also A Muslim Country!!!!!

I Actually Just Finished Teaching Sum Kids Arabic N' Quran!!!..........you Know If They Respect You From The Beginning Or They Scared Of You ...they Won't Even Try To Muck About ..."treat Em Mean..and Keep Em' Keen".........i Mean I Do Sofen Up On Them From Time To Time ..but When Quraan's Concerned And They Have'nt Done Threr Hifd ...boy O' Boy!!!!..!!!!!!!!
HOW ARE YOU GONNA TEACH IN VENUS ??? LoLz

teach the kids thier the greenhouse effect the PHYSICAL WAY LOLZ

amirah_87
06-11-2006, 12:46 PM
It's Pretty Simple ...although All This Astro Gear Slows Me Down!!

Sweet_Boy
06-11-2006, 12:47 PM
It's Pretty Simple ...although All This Astro Gear Slows Me Down!!
lol yeah i agree ........ sis

amirah_87
06-11-2006, 01:00 PM
You Know You Get Soo Much Reward For Being A Quraan Teacher!!!

Every Harf U Get A Reward For !!!

Hijaabi22
06-11-2006, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Boy
i find teaching tough i mean im only a kid but i mean how does the teacher cope with all that planning and kids messsing around doesnt that get annoying ....

and do teachers get paid less i mean it is probably a joke ... but i have heard many teacher say ...

Maybe one day i will earn some real money .... :)
boy believe u me teachin is VERY TOUGH so plz apprecaite ya teachers

Starseeker
06-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I did work experience at a primary school and after the first day i was counting down the days until it finished.
I would never be a teacher so i really admire those that acutally can manage the job. especially supply teachers-that has to be the worse ever job on earth!

Hijaabi22
06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Teaching Is Really Really Tuff I Dropped Out

But I Myt Go Bak After A Year N Do Pgce Cos It Can Be Fun And I Dont Know Wat Other Career 2 Go 4

SAEF
06-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Teaching Is Very Good Ma'shallah...especially If Your Teachn' Islamic Studies!!

Ayesha Rana
06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
;D Oh LOL the teacher squad
I'm gonna be a teacher too!
I'll teach my kids:statisfie

SAEF
06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Three Cheers For The Teachers!!!!!!!!!............hip Hip Hoooray!

Hijaabi22
06-15-2006, 01:52 PM
YEAH MAN TRRRRUST ME TEACHIN IS WELL HAAAAAAAAARD WELL WELL HARD

lol at the cheers all teachers deserve em

Daffodil
06-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Asalamulaikum

Im gonna be a teacher soon, woohoo, its gonna be hard n exciting but Im willing to put the work in. (Im going to be homeschooling my kids)

Hijaabi22
06-15-2006, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Asalamulaikum

Im gonna be a teacher soon, woohoo, its gonna be hard n exciting but Im willing to put the work in. (Im going to be homeschooling my kids)
U duin the teachin degree? :rollseyes

Daffodil
06-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Nope, u dnt need a degree to homeschool ur children.

Arwa
06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
U duin the teachin degree? :rollseyes
You mean PGCE?

amirah_87
06-19-2006, 04:45 PM
ass salaamu aalykum

hey maw' looks like you got yourself a tuff cookie!!!..........

what happened once in my circle was ..my students started to forgot their quraan revision!!! it was sooo bad..subhaanallah!....so this continued for like a couple of days, the next day i told them....if you get one mistake wrong tommorrow i'm gonna put you guys back to surat al-faatiha!
so the next day came ...they got sum mistakes wrong...you know what i did!!i kept my promise and i put them all back to faatiha!!...... and i did'nt continue their actual hifd with them untill they knew the past surat like their ABC's.....cause what's the point Maw' memorisin' and not knowin' what you passed!!...that happened to me..so i did'nt what them to go through the same thing.

one of my students was like yours , i honestly wanted to just wack her round the head @ times she would never preapre her hifd or her arabic...so me and my sis' shouted @ her!! we gave her sum long lecture.......and also try coming to an understanding with her as to why she's playing up!!

i told this partical student if she can't be bothered to do her quraan, then don't come in to the lessons again......she got real scared and embarrased in front of every1
i reported that to her mum too, that she was a complete flop!!... her mum did'nt do much cause she was like the youngest spolit one....so i had to deal with it my way!!....i told her " don't you dare cum in 2morrow..i don't wanna see your face...."...the girl was on the verge of tears...i did'nt care though...
you see when it's like a once in a while thing , it's ok but if it's like evryday....that's another story!!....i was upto my neck with rage!!

anyways..this student now is one of the best top ones!!! she's improved a great deal !!!....with alot of encouragement & shoutin' @ she's ok now !! thank Allah for that!...i would'nt have known what to do next if she kept up like that!!.....sheesh!!

BTW.....
homeschooling is allowed in the UK...my lil sis used to do it b4!!

wa alaykum ass salaam!!!..........*hope that helped you Maw'* ;)

amirah_87
06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
try givin' her sum da'wah then insha'Allah!!...like the importance of quraan and stuff, and the good outcomes of sum1 who memorisses it and the bad outcomes for those who leave it!!!!
make dua'aah for her insha'Allah....Allah yahdiyhaa!!

amirah_87
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
i know what you mean man!!.....good luck sis!! ;)...
can't you tell her parents though ?

Ferrari1981
06-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Interesting thread!!!

Well I used to teach for 2 years now Im on stand by while doing my Masters!

I used to take care of playgroups, then started teaching (assistant) secondary schools (years 7 to 10) who seem to know more than me!!! but it was fun as the school i taught in was my own ex-secondary school so all the kids knew me!!!

Also worked with the police and high schools with their crime prevention and councilling bullies and stuff.... then later I went on to help special needs which was ok...

Im currently helping children online with basic islamic queries and educational background...

As a Masters students which is completed in August im doing my PGCE in Primary care and secondary too!

I love teaching and helping children but I have yet to complete my own Hifz and Arabic lessons :D inshallah

Ma'asalaama

amirah_87
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
maashs'allah..that's nice akhee!!.....hey akhee...your like one of the only men i heard of who likes kids!!....good on you!

Dhulqarnaeen
06-20-2006, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Oh Please, I've done that already, last week I gave her some stuff to memorize and when I tried to test her on it she was like "I dont know it" so i'm like " let me test you on the surah you did before then" and she's like "I forgot it" I was like WHAT???........

Yeah....:( but after all, how much am I supposed to stress on her? she's a big girl already, she should know how to listen to advice...*sigh* but it's just frustrating to have a block headed student
Ukhti...does she study there with a payment? I mean if she wanna study there in your madrasah, does she has to pay? If not then of course theres no hindrance/obstacle for her to do that to you. But if she has to pay to study then I think a normal prson will feel lost if they dont study seriously. I suggest you to threaten her IF she doesnt do her homework/assignment correctky and its repeated again and again, then she must be punished. And if she doesnt make a good progress then just get her out of the madraasah cause students like this usually will affect her school mate. Well....just opinion :brother:

Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
Ukhti...does she study there with a payment? I mean if she wanna study there in your madrasah, does she has to pay? If not then of course theres no hindrance/obstacle for her to do that to you. But if she has to pay to study then I think a normal prson will feel lost if they dont study seriously. I suggest you to threaten her IF she doesnt do her homework/assignment correctky and its repeated again and again, then she must be punished. And if she doesnt make a good progress then just get her out of the madraasah cause students like this usually will affect her school mate. Well....just opinion :brother:
No No, Of course I dont charge to teach madrassah, it's a charity for the Muslim children at the masjid. And the weird thing is that her fellow students have gotten on her case a couple of times but she is still like that. I love teaching but she just ruins it :(

Anyway, Jazakallah for your advice, I'll just try patience Insha'allah

Dhulqarnaeen
06-21-2006, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
No No, Of course I dont charge to teach madrassah, it's a charity for the Muslim children at the masjid. And the weird thing is that her fellow students have gotten on her case a couple of times but she is still like that. I love teaching but she just ruins it :(

Anyway, Jazakallah for your advice, I'll just try patience Insha'allah
Patient without ikhtiyar will be like a suufi, but Im sure youre doing ikhtiyar too. But we also remember sometimes Rasululah taught His students or little companions with a ruler on his hand. But maybe to this girl you can try a hammer :rollseyes

shudnt_have
06-22-2006, 07:30 AM

After reading the posts here. i feel that most of u got more of a strict authorative figure. unforunately i m not like that.

my attitute is more a mother figure..learning and teaching..treating kids as adults. dont push them. let them decide type. iam more of a free thinker myself. anarchy does not help and democracy does not always make everyone happy.

the problem is i usually end up in mess. when i allow too much of 'freedom of speech' in classroom and thats the point where the class gets out of control

i cant be hard core hitler with kids. i hate yelling,.

any suggestios. btw i teach at islamic school. elementary.

manaal
06-25-2006, 03:38 AM
I teach O/L ans A/L Business Studies at a Christian girls' school. MashaAllah, there is no racial or religious bias in that school. They even have separate prayer groups in the morning for the different religions.

I have always preferred teaching teens to kids. You can talk and discuss things with teens. They are already nurtured so half your work is done! I'm not very strict with my girls, you can't be with that age-group. I have a freindly approach to teaching and even laugh and joke with them during lessons. I don;t beleive in a rigid teaching atmosphere but the girls know what their limits are with me.

I once walked out of the class when a group of students started chatting away and not paying attention to what I was explaining, They felt really bad and apologised.

Whatever approach you use, the most important thing is how much the students have learned from you at the end of the day.

shudnt_have
06-25-2006, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
I teach O/L ans A/L Business Studies at a Christian girls' school. MashaAllah, there is no racial or religious bias in that school. They even have separate prayer groups in the morning for the different religions.

I have always preferred teaching teens to kids. You can talk and discuss things with teens. They are already nurtured so half your work is done! I'm not very strict with my girls, you can't be with that age-group. I have a freindly approach to teaching and even laugh and joke with them during lessons. I don;t beleive in a rigid teaching atmosphere but the girls know what their limits are with me.

I once walked out of the class when a group of students started chatting away and not paying attention to what I was explaining, They felt really bad and apologised.

Whatever approach you use, the most important thing is how much the students have learned from you at the end of the day.
I get that too masha'allah..however would you say that your teaching technique would be same if you were to teach young male teens? I mean the 5 to 9 years old are hard to handle for me. I dont think I would be able to maintain my coolness long enough with young males!

manaal
07-02-2006, 04:16 AM
I used to teach teenage boys a few years ago. I used to lose it a lot with them. But they were very nice boys and didn't take my scolding very seriuosly! I think the best way to handle boys is to just turn around and glare at them for a full minute. They feel very vulberable and uncomfortable under a teacher's stare.

Hijaabi22
07-04-2006, 11:00 AM
IM GOIN BAK TO MY TEACHIN DEGREE AFTER QUITTIN 2 MONTHS AGO AM I DUIN THE RYT THING??

manaal
07-11-2006, 12:02 PM
This answer is kind of late, but Better late than never i guess.....

Only you could know what is best for you but let me tell you this.

If you rhink teaching is the right job for you and you want to be a teacher for the rest of your career then go for it. Arm yourself with all the qualifications you need. It will make you more conifdent and you will find you perform better.

IceQueen~
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
aww kids...every woman is a teacher whether to her own kids/ her little bros and sisters etc
God made a woman a mother for a reason (she understands kids better than men:X )

sweetbanana86
07-11-2006, 11:59 PM
well i am going to school right now to teach history to high school and middle school teenagers i have 3 more years insha'allah and i cannot wait, i always imagine myself standing in front of classroom filled 20 or 30 ppl

shudnt_have
07-13-2006, 02:34 AM
I used to teach teenage boys a few years ago. I used to lose it a lot with them. But they were very nice boys and didn't take my scolding very seriuosly! I think the best way to handle boys is to just turn around and glare at them for a full minute. They feel very vulberable and uncomfortable under a teacher's stare.

Masha'Allah now ths is original..and fool proof. I will try it with my younger bro. (who needs a lot of discipline..i think..)

shudnt_have
07-13-2006, 02:38 AM

Sometihng I want to remember myself and you..as I was reminded by my teacher...

The infamous Hadith of our Beloved Nabi (peace be up on Him) regarding the balance btwn use of power and responsiblity..

which means "Your are not one of us if you don't honour your elders and have mercy on younger generations".
and
really i think a lot of us have to redefine ways to establish 'discipline' and 'understanding' in younger generations...

for now iam looking for some books..on these topics..
i will post them as i find em...

btw may Allah grant u sucess of this duniya and akhira sr. sweetbanana86

manaal
07-13-2006, 04:14 AM

Masha'Allah now ths is original..and fool proof. I will try it with my younger bro. (who needs a lot of discipline..i think..)
It really does work. Did you try it yet? It has to be a really hard glare! :happy:

life
07-13-2006, 05:50 AM
does anyone here teach in high school????????

amirah_87
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

well i do...@ an all girls secondary!!! :peace:

but i'm a T.A!!..walhamdulillah

H4RUN
07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
have any of you experienced the 'kids' just 'hummmmming' in class, and as you look around they stop, when you turn round they start etc etc, rather annoying is it not, especially if you don't know who it is......

gosh teachers can be easy targets at times :giggling:
peace b un2 u all

arehat
07-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Well we just broke up for the summer holidays!!!!!!

Am i glad!!!!!

manaal
07-14-2006, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
have any of you experienced the 'kids' just 'hummmmming' in class, and as you look around they stop, when you turn round they start etc etc, rather annoying is it not, especially if you don't know who it is......
Happened to me once. I was explaining something using the blackboard and a student made a noise like a car starting. When I aksed what the noise was the clique the girl was in said it was a car outside trying to start. I fell for it at first. But shecontinued doing three or four times and I figured it was one of them. They were red in there faces from trying to supress giggles. I gave them a warning at let it go at that 'cos they were 17 plus year old girls!! ;D ;D

It was a funny experience. They've finished their A/L's now and when they come to school for a visit we talk about that incident and have a good laugh.

umm-sulaim
07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Lol thats funny.
I think something funny that happened to me was when i set homework for the girls we teach in the weekends, i gave her 3 pages to write up, the next week she came back, initially i had forgotten that i gave her 3 pages, i ticked her work then i saw that the paper in the middle was all torn up, i looked at her cos i realised what she'd done, lol, to be honest didn't tell her off, i just laughed, gotta luv 'em!
But i did make her do 3 pages again hehe!
I like teaching younger kids its really nice to see them develope and widen their understanding.
Sis mawaddah is right about teachng teenagers, they do start to see you as a friend then when it comes to having to tell them to be serious, you feel guilty a bit.
I find the elderly the hardest to teach too, they really need sabr, sometimes no matter how much you repeat something, its as if they haven't heard!
May Allah keep us all patient.

manaal
07-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Being freinds with them is what I like about teaching teenagers. Sometimes when the lesson gets boring I stop in between and we chat about whats happening around us. I always get back to the lesson in the end though, but they just want to keep on chatting!
They really are lovely girls, but i may have to leave them soon beacuse of this:
http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...depressed.html

umm-sulaim
07-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah i like it too, but its like what sis mawadah said they don't see the boundaries anymore especially if our ages are so close. With the little kids they can't talk to you and stuffbut i love joking with them, but you're right its more positive then negative,lol
I'm so sorry about the situation your in sis, may Allah make things easy for you, are there no islamic schools that you could teach in sis?
May Allah keep you patient, wassalaam.

manaal
07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
There is a really good Muslim school that I'm thinking of joining. I'm discussing the issue with my family now and will take definite decision soon. At the same time, I'm going to keep my faith in Allah to help me find a way to overcome this.

umm-sulaim
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Thats a good idea sis, i wish you all the success in what you do, Make lots of du3aa and ask Allah to open a way for you sis, after all he is the answerer of all prayers sis!
Take care ukhtee wassalaam.

H4RUN
07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
:sl: fellow teachers, ok maybe not :giggling:
are any of you supply teachers, not full time? if so how are you treated by the pupils, especially teenagers?
ma'salama

umm-sulaim
07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm not a professional teacher yet but inshaAllah thats what i wanna become, me and my sisters teach during the weekends...
I feel sorry for supply teachers no one listens to them...most of the time...but when they're nice they're really nice, like one time our teacher from New Zealand was mad at us cos we weren't listening to her, so she said "right thats it, all of you, outside , now! in the playground" so we went thinking oh boy...we're in trouble,
she made us learn the new zealand all blacks rugby team theme thingy, that was fun......
i hate it when they fight/argue though.....i hate telling them off....sometimes after you tell them off they don't like you as much and its sad....

manaal
07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
True about the telling off bit. But many older students understand that telling kids off is part of the job. I've also noticed that little kids love you even if you tell them off.
Has anyone ever had a student cry when you told 'em off or punished 'em?
I have, twice! Its so bad when it happens............

umm-sulaim
07-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah the telling off bit i meant with the older lot, but kids are great they're so miskeeen lol...they're back to their happy selves subhanAllah..
Um actually yeah one time some girls were being really abusive towards eachother using bad kalaam and stuff so i told both of them off, one of the girls started crying...i was like ouuuuuuch.....i did comfort her and stuff but i still felt bad..when she returned the next weekend she was giving me the cold shoulder...i was like ooops....i don't like being in awkward situations i just acted the same you know....i don't mind though its all a part of life*shrugs* oh well...
....what would you do?

manaal
07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
Um actually yeah one time some girls were being really abusive towards eachother using bad kalaam and stuff so i told both of them off, one of the girls started crying...i was like ouuuuuuch.....i did comfort her and stuff but i still felt bad..when she returned the next weekend she was giving me the cold shoulder...i was like ooops....i don't like being in awkward situations i just acted the same you know....i don't mind though its all a part of life*shrugs* oh well...
....what would you do?
I once told a girl off for being late for a rehearsal and she jst cried and ran away from the room. I was shocked and pretended nothing happened. I mean, this girl was about 13 - 14 years old, and I didn;t expet her to be so sensitive. ;D
More recently I asked a 9 year old student why she was paying attention to me and I think I was little too rough when I asked the question and she started to cry. :hiding: I felt so bad that I hugged her and told her kindly not to cry and to pay attention to the lesson in the future.

amirah_87
07-21-2006, 10:56 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

You mean girl!!!....stop pickin' on the lil' children!! ;D

that happened to me once aswell actually....but i did'nt care less, cause i hate tt when pupils cum to the dars and they've not memorised their Quraan, especially if it's continous if y'know what i mean!! :heated:

manaal
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
You're meaner than me you are!

Geez, I'm so gald you aint ma teacher!

amirah_87
07-21-2006, 11:04 AM
ass salaamu alykum

honestly, i'm not bad!!...but you gotta be kinda tuff on 'em otherwise they'll walk all over you...and it's for there own benefit anyways!!...they'll be kissin' my feet when they're older!!...:D

manaal
07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I agree with that whole heartedly.
I always remember my strict teachers to be ones I respected the most 'cos they did a good job in making me study!

umm-sulaim
07-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah true true, like this teacher we had she would get be upset with us if we came late, or if we hadn't memorised the lesson properly...but i love her loads cos she wanted the best for us you know......
One of our mosque teachers Ammu Adnaan was the best teacher ever too, when we were naughty instead of hitting us or shoutig at us, he would pat us on our heads and say "o my children..." and just smile, come to think of it now thats really admirable mashaAllah, May Allah give him jannat firdausa!!

amirah_87
07-22-2006, 01:07 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

Ameen Sis!!..3ammu 3adnaan was really sumthink were'nt he...but i don't remember what he taught us as much as mu3allim muhammed and Aadam..those two who use to be tough on us and hit us @ times for gettin' one harakat wrong!!.....the Quraan I memorised with them subhaanAllah !! is more thaabit than with my other mu3allims!! :-\

umm-sulaim
07-22-2006, 06:56 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

Ameen Sis!!..3ammu 3adnaan was really sumthink were'nt he...but i don't remember what he taught us as much as mu3allim muhammed and Aadam..those two who use to be tough on us and hit us @ times for gettin' one harakat wrong!!.....the Quraan I memorised with them subhaanAllah !! is more thaabit than with my other mu3allims!! :-\

lol thats cos he taught us seera and fiqh, ammu Khalid taught us qur'aan, and ammu Abbaas taught us how to pray, and don't forget ammu Ali with the nasheeds lol....wassalaam.

Hijaabi22
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
:sl: fellow teachers, ok maybe not :giggling:
are any of you supply teachers, not full time? if so how are you treated by the pupils, especially teenagers?
ma'salama
Im trainin to be a teacher in my third year next year inshaAllahhhhhhh two years 2 go then im qualified! me workin wid primary children and they are BRATSSSSSSSS at tyms but hey nothin i cant handle! lol me wanna work part tym wen i qualify its toooooooooooooo much work to be duin full tym id die!

Kittygyal
07-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Im trainin to be a teacher in my third year next year inshaAllahhhhhhh two years 2 go then im qualified! me workin wid primary children and they are BRATSSSSSSSS at tyms but hey nothin i cant handle! lol me wanna work part tym wen i qualify its toooooooooooooo much work to be duin full tym id die!

aww bless babes don't worry you will go though it trust me it was hard for me too but it's worth it at the end even though i have done and dusted to another Jodb will be quiting that as me MIGHT have me OP soon :cry: :cry: , and kids can be brats at times but then again they are cute and wish i had one too :cry: think about it most peoples can't have them nor they had a misscarriage :cry:, well anyway sis be brave and hoprfully it will be done so quick :)

Hijaabi22
07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
AAAAWWWWWW SIS CHEER UP PWEEZ> ?

I Quit The Teachin 2 Months Before The End Of This Year But Now Me Goin Bak 2 It In September???? Me Gotta Screw Loose In Ma Head I Know I Know Lol

amirah_87
07-22-2006, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
lol thats cos he taught us seera and fiqh, ammu Khalid taught us qur'aan, and ammu Abbaas taught us how to pray, and don't forget ammu Ali with the nasheeds lol....wassalaam.

ass salaamu alykum

Oooooh yeah, that's true :giggling:

yeah, i remember 3ammu Ali!!!.....;D

Kittygyal
07-22-2006, 06:56 PM
AAAAWWWWWW SIS CHEER UP PWEEZ> ?

I Quit The Teachin 2 Months Before The End Of This Year But Now Me Goin Bak 2 It In September???? Me Gotta Screw Loose In Ma Head I Know I Know Lol
aww sis don't worry just go for it you can do it trust me :)

shudnt_have
07-22-2006, 10:05 PM
:sl: everyone,

I pray this will find u in great state Insha'Allah...

through out this summer, i m seeing all of my students..(i was just a TA., so technically not "my kids"):cry:

man..... they are waving to me, from far distance, stopping their mothers/fathers on the road and saying look mama " this is sister shudnt_have" and sum ran to hug :cry:

i fink im got a teacher's flu? :hiding:

I am still contemplating about teaching vs. my dreamed career insha'Allah..
one fink for sure...we got some individuals on the school system, in my pwersonal opinion they arent fully equipped to teach kids.....

last note, recently ive heard some horrible stories about SOME Islamic schools where more of our ancient Jahhilian culture is practice and less of Islam! (inequality in genders...low quality education...etc...)...it is sad..

if i were to teach..i would just teach islamic schools..but looking at the conditions of SOME islamic schools..hence, these FACTS revolts me completely..from my love of teaching...

Ya Allah make our homes and schools a place of proper learning for us and for our children ameen...

manaal
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Its sad to see the bad state of education in the world. Discrimmination of gender, race, religion and class has always been around. I have been, and am currently a victim of discrimmination. We as teachers should be concious of this and try to teach each and every of our students fairly, no matter who they are, where they come from or how brainy or not thy are.

shudnt_have
07-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Its sad to see the bad state of education in the world. Discrimmination of gender, race, religion and class has always been around. I have been, and am currently a victim of discrimmination. We as teachers should be concious of this and try to teach each and every of our students fairly, no matter who they are, where they come from or how brainy or not thy are.
subha'Allah...I am blessed in few ways. As u have said, most of my friends are not from the mainstream culture here in this town...so mostly "other hijabis" and ruthless aunties mistreat them...Astagfirullah!

Serioulsy, when I was there...(at school) I didnt have much power in my hands..but at times, i clearly saw some discrimination...

i fink hating with ur heart isnt simply enough and I cant stand quite...(i am so emotional n reactive) i usuallly spit something stupid to the discriminator;D

F.Y.
07-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Do you ever feel like you have to try so much harder in everything just because you are Muslim and you feel you have to prove yourself? I do. We are an extreme minority and some kids might not have even seen anyone with hijab before. And I feel like I just have that much MORE pressure on me, to fit in and teach well and prove myself. I feel that if I do a bad job now, those kids will think of all muslim women as stupid when they grow up too. *sigh* Am I being silly?
Peace

umm-sulaim
07-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Not at all sis, i see what you mean and i understand, even when i walk in the streets i'm like oh Allah i hope i don't do anything stupid cos so many peoples glares are upon us and with our beautiful hijaabs we represent islam..
so for you to say that i understand fully ukhtee, make loads of du'aa inshaAllah to Allah to give you thabaat- firmness and ease in the khayr you're doing,

manaal
07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Being a Muslim teacher in a non-Muslim school, I always remember the fact that I'm being watched. I'm one of 10 Muslim teachers in 150 strong staff and only one of 2 who are pro-hijab. It is important that we behave in such a manner that people will speak ill of us. When someone wants to complain they may say "That Muslim teacher did this or that".

In my society, some Muslims have changed their behaviour to mimick non-muslims in order to fit in. I see that in many of my students. Whenever possible I talk to them about religion.

shudnt_have
07-27-2006, 02:57 AM

I second what Sr. umm-sulaim said. Sister F.Y, you are not alone.
Think about the hasants we will receive for our struggles. insha'Allah. As for the Hijab thing, I learned that Allah tallah grants 10 good deeds for every sweat of Mujaha* when she is wearng a hijab in summer or for every time she is glanced for the fact she is wearing a hijab. I find this fact annoying. Wallah, the other day i was in public and I felt like I was paranoid for beleivng EVERYONE IS staring at me. lol. i know i might be right or I might be wrong. for I dont know what kind of impressions I leave behind when I am present in public. but I try my utmost best to represent Islam as what is . a beautiful n complete religion.

it is a difficult yet reward jihad in itself.

( I hope i said the right word, or Hijabi") subha'Allah. some times I think I am not making a difference. then I reassure myself of Allah's rehma and his unlimited bounties. sometimes we change ppl's life without noticing Allah granted us the Tawfiq to change them.

I dont think i made sense. (i tried my best though) LOL

bottom line, dont give up..u never knew whose key to guidance u will be..

peace..

F.Y.
07-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Oh thank you so so much sisters umm sulaim, manaal and shuldnt have. Your replies were sooo helpful! Its good to know im not the only one. Ameen to you duas and may Allah make you a means of hidayat to your students and fellow staff and friends! Ameen! :)
Peace

umm-sulaim
07-29-2006, 06:40 AM
you're welcome sis F.Y, and aameen to your lovely du'aa...

manaal
07-30-2006, 05:21 AM
GEUSS WHAT?? I CHANGED SCHOOLS!

Starting on 21st August Insh Allah, I will be teaching "AS & AL Business Studies" and "O/L Economics" at a Muslim school called "Ilma International Girls' School".

from its name it obvious that it is an all girl Muslim school and they love you more the more covered up you are. In this school Hijaab is the dress code for Muslim teachers!

This is so refershing compared to my present school. As i explained in this post: http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...depressed.html (A little depressed)

umm-sulaim
07-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Oh wow ukthee, thats wonderful!!! mashaAllah i'm very happy for you, i take it your family were ok with the you changing to an islamic school?
Theres nothing better than working along your fellow sisters in islam,
May Allah bring more happiness into your life,
wassalaam.

manaal
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
:::Jumping for joy::: !!!!
May Allah reward you for your duas.

Just wondering... Are there any teachers out there who taught or teach in non-Muslim schools who encountered my same problem? I know France and Turkey have a law against it, but anywhere else?

amirah_87
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

well i ain't a teacher as of yet :-\!!!...just a TA @ a non muslim girls secondary school, but i did'nt encounter anything, i was going in my full black kit!!!...
no comments and complaints walhamdulillah!! :)
about 70-80% of the girls were muslim though, which was kool it felt like i was in an islaimc skool!! :)

manaal
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Sis amirah_87.
Is this school in a non-Muslim country?

amirah_87
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

yes sis manaal..it's in a non-muslim country..:-\........England!!

manaal
07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Whoa.. that's so cool. Pray that it stays that way.

shudnt_have
08-01-2006, 02:45 AM

Mabrook Sr. Manal. Al hamdoulilah. Patience has its reward. al hamdoulilah!

good to hear abt the news

Re.TiReD
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
:sl: dunno why it took me so long to find this thread!! lol anyway i'm 17 years old...maybe the youngest teacher here? :? and i teach 5-10 year old girls basic arabic at the madrassah.

its not like skool so i make the rules up as i go along :hiding: lol i know i shouldnt....well the problem is that they break up with and make friends with each other every two minutes! one minute its one against the other and the next they've made up but are picking on somebody else! :heated:

what to do???? HELP!! lol

REPSTER
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer
:sl: dunno why it took me so long to find this thread!! lol anyway i'm 17 years old...maybe the youngest teacher here? :? and i teach 5-10 year old girls basic arabic at the madrassah.

its not like skool so i make the rules up as i go along :hiding: lol i know i shouldnt....well the problem is that they break up with and make friends with each other every two minutes! one minute its one against the other and the next they've made up but are picking on somebody else! :heated:

what to do???? HELP!! lol
Give em hell :lol: jokin

Re.TiReD
08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
lol unfortunately its not in my pawa to do that!! lol and it doesnt help with every student wanting ti sit down next to me!! gawwd, its soooo suffocating! i dunno wat to do but i think i'm gonna give it up wen i go back to college. :sister:

manaal
08-04-2006, 03:41 AM
It is a madrassa so you can tell them that as Muslims they shouldn;t get angry and bully each other! When religious reasons are put to children they really listen.
Once there was a problem in a school I used to work for. Things were getting lost and the thief couldn;t be caught. So one day the principal addresses assembly and told the children "Its haraam to steal. Eating pork is haraam too. So when you steal its like eating pork". You should have seen the bewildered looks and kids' faces! ;D

manaal
08-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Actually I came in here to say that I've come to the time where I truly get sick of my job: Marking exam papers! Urrrgghhhhh! Its so unpleasant, specially if the kids haven;t bothered to revise. sometimes i think: Am i such a bad teacher that these kids aren't answering properly????? But there are the few who do well. But I really dislike marking papers.
I have a truck load to finish so I won;t be seeing you guys for a while!

manaal
08-06-2006, 10:02 AM
To all my teacher pals.

Please read this thread of mine:

Islamic conference

And tell me what you think.

Re.TiReD
08-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Actually I came in here to say that I've come to the time where I truly get sick of my job: Marking exam papers! Urrrgghhhhh! Its so unpleasant, specially if the kids haven;t bothered to revise. sometimes i think: Am i such a bad teacher that these kids aren't answering properly????? But there are the few who do well. But I really dislike marking papers.
LOL!! when i was a kid i always wanted to be a teacher, i still had the vocation....right up to the point i started in the Madrassah...:X lol but JazakAllah for the advice...i'll try it...:w: :sister:

Takumi
08-08-2006, 04:00 PM

You should try to shy away from conventional assessment. Exam papers are usually concentrated on Knowledge, Comprehension and Application of the Blooms.

Assessment should venture further to Evaluation and you might want to try enriched assessment to do that.

manaal
08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
You should try to shy away from conventional assessment. Exam papers are usually concentrated on Knowledge, Comprehension and Application of the Blooms.

Assessment should venture further to Evaluation and you might want to try enriched assessment to do that.
:laugh: REally wish I could just give the kids continuous assessments and leave it at that. But the Sri Lankan Education system is very exam oriented and its kind of a rule that all national schools have to cinduct exams twice a year (mid year and end of year). So there's nothing I can do about it. Its the system.

Takumi
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Valid researches have shown that national exams are stressful to kids.

What I'm saying is that, rather than WRITTEN exam, (essays, worksheets, etc) try, integrating Arts, like drama, watercolor as an element to represent Knowledge.

Then, for the application, try, informance (borrowing this term from A+ Schools) which is a combination of information and performance. This is where students act out the information. It's great for History and Reading.

Try it.

manaal
08-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I can certainly try them for the continuous assessments.

But the term exams where we have to prepare a written paper that follows the structure of the national exam paper is compulsory. The rationale is that the students will be better prepared for the real thing when they finally sit for the national examinations.

Students who do not sit fot the national examinations or who attempt it and fail are at a great disadvantage and as many higher education and vocational prgrammes only enrol students who have passed these examinations.

This is very stressful and frustrating to students who are weak in math or are dyslexic. Mothers too push their children to work harder and achieve more marks than the next student.

For teachers too this is a problem. Many students attend extra classes with other teachers in the afternoon or weekends. Some institutions that provide this service do it at a large scale. Students have little time for themselves and for other activities such as sports and arts. When the results finally come, it mkes me wonder if it was due to my teaching or the teaching of some other teacher that the students have gained good results. How do I asses myself as a teacher?

I know I'm going on and on but this is a major problem in my country. The sylubusses are so exam oriented. There is very little self-development through the academic work. Since we have to go along with the system which is prescribed by the government, we have very little choice.

Takumi
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, what you can do is to diversify your method of teaching or instruction.

It's an established scientific fact that people have different learning styles. There are the verbal-linguistic, auditory and kinesthetic. Every one has at least one dominant style that increases his/her learning if a teacher uses all modalities to disseminate information.

For example, the lesson plan is to teach shapes for a first grade class.

The classic chalk and talk style would be telling them what kind of shapes exist and then draw these shapes on the board. The exam would be most probably identification of a certain shapes.

A teacher who uses a multiple intelligences model would go beyond that. He/she covers the verbal learner by describing the shape in words. He/she covers the auditory learner by pronouncing the shape's name repeatedly and she finally covers the kinesthetic children by allowing them to use manipulatives such as lego blocks or boxes or match sticks so to be used in making tangible models.

The exam may also be enriched. Rather than the old boring multiple choice, "which one of these shapes is a rectangle?", exam questions may also go further in the Blooms Taxonomy.

For example,

(1) Knowledge: Which of these is a spere?
(2) Comprehension: Does a sphere have angles?
(3) Application: Which of these look like spheres? (a) coins (b) shoes (c) cars
(4) Analysis: What can you do with a sphere-like object?
(5) Evaluate: Can the tires of a car be other shapes than a sphere or circle?
(6) Synthesis: Use the strings provided for you at station A, and make a spherical object.

You see, children learn in many ways. Sadly, a teacher sometimes is not able to touch all learners due to inexperience and lack of professional development and training.

good luck.

manaal
08-14-2006, 03:09 AM
Sounds intresting. I really have to do my Post Grad Dip in education soon.

I teach business studies for 'A' Levels. I can try to advance these techniques to suit the students of that age group. I try my best to give them practical examples and assignments to make a boring subject more interesting.

*noor
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
assalaamu alaikum

im not a teacher yet but inshaAllah will be one in the future in several years

ill be studying at college in less than a month and ill have a double major inshaAllah in childhood education and the second one im not sure yet

any ideas or comments??

Takumi
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
You should take Counselling.

manaal
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok, I had my first day in my new school. My students are girls aged between 15 - 18. One class I teach includes some of the unruliest girls in the school. They are not very intresting in their studies. On my first day they tried to play a trick on me my mixing uop their names (A said he name was B and B said her name was C). But if figured out their trick and expressed my disappointment that they are being cheeky on the my first day with the, and what kind of relationship are we going to have????

How do I handle such girls?

shudnt_have
08-26-2006, 04:35 AM

Teens are difficult game because they pretend 2 be the deaf n dumb. I would try to relate to them by 'sharing my personal experiences at their age related to school/friends...perhaps they may feel comfortable with you.

whatever happens, dont appear laid back kind of person. keep your posture straight and strict..:giggling: dont let them overwhelm you with few tricks.

manaal
08-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Which is easier? dealing with teens or with kids?

I find teaching teens easier but solving problems of kids much easier.

Hijaabi22
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
AM BAK AT UNI IN TWO WEEKS , FIRST WEEK BAK AM AT SKUL 4 A WHOLE WEEK ! YAAY!! Shud be gud!

shudnt_have
09-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Which is easier? dealing with teens or with kids?

I find teaching teens easier but solving problems of kids much easier.
If I had the choice btwn teaching teens or teaching kids, I would choose kids.
a)they have clean slate-they believe u in almost anythig you teach them or say..

*on the other hands, teens on the other hand, are pre-programed mostly by their surroundings (media/family/freinds etc)and it is difficult to inspire them..
*biologically they are screwed up-their hormones are playing around with their emotions.n mind...
----they get angry too quickly or their logic button is off..sum of them are paranoid
--------where they think the world n their parents are here to eat them alive

real life ex: i find it way x [infinite symbol] easier to discipline my 9 yr old sister compare to my 14 yr bro.

does that help? these are my loose thoughts..

manaal
09-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Teaching teen is easier to me because I could explain the lessons to them at a high level and I need not go down to the level of a 9 year old. I speak rather rapidly and love to have discussions woth students. That's why I find teens for satisfying to teach.

Durrah
09-08-2006, 10:17 PM

Wow, soo many teachers. I gotta say, you guys are brave. Its such a demanding profession these day because theres so much expected from teachers and i think in some cases, they're expected to do the job of the parent! And the bueraucracy it just mad. I havent even mentioned all the loud mouth, obnioxous, crazy children neither. I dont know how you do it, but if you still in the job and havent lost your sanity, well done is all i can say.

Re.TiReD
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
:sl: lol! i completey agree....! :D I ttaught for like 2 month and at the end it felt as though i had aged about 20 years!! (Imagine...lol that would make me 37! :giggling: ) lol :w:

nishom
09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
SALAAM,

Hi huys, Im going to start my teacher training in Post Compulsory Education in January, Insha'allah.

Im really nervous, even though ive 4 months left, and do not know what to expect.

Is there anyone out there teaching in this fields.

If so, your advice and words of wisdom will be much appreciated, Insha'allah.

Jazak'allah Khairun.

Wasalaam.

Hijaabi22
09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
ANY1 WORKIN WID RECEPTION DIS YEAR???? I GOT MA BLOK IN JANUARY, WER DO U GET LESSON IDEAS 4RM COS IM CLUELESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS HELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP MOI!!! Any sites /lesson plans wud be very much appreciated THNKS!

manaal
09-16-2006, 08:03 PM
You can try the Ladybird website:
http://www.ladybird.co.uk/

Or these:
http://www.dltk-kids.com/
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

shudnt_have
09-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Bismillah,
I plan on starting a blog. my object lies in researching the status of family system in Islam...and finding out all the Islamic Research that has been done in this area(unfortunately there is little so far that i have come across). Side note: it wil be a long project. so i plan on starting it after Ramadan insha'Allah.

avenues that needs researching on.
  • IslamicFamily History: Collecting Lessons on how Prophet (pbuh) N Sahabis dealth with their families
  • Islamic Rights n Responsibilty of Family Members
    -Section for New Parents
    -----Helping them differentiate btwn Islamic/Sunnah vs Culture Ritual
  • Parents duties towards their child n vise versa
    ----To what extends Parents are responsible for their children.

If anyone is interested, please let me know? If Allah wills it will be a great benefit to our Muslim Ummah(esp Moms) who ARENT natural gifted similar to how Khadija bin Khuwaylid or Bibi Fatima were the most moms!

Please shout out if u r interested...so far i hve come across sum articles and 2-3 books...

manaal
09-25-2006, 05:11 AM
What kind of contribution would you expect from us?

shudnt_have
09-28-2006, 03:12 AM
perhaps keeping an eye open for the books/articles/scholars who are into "Family Education" and if you do ever come across any hadiths/atars pertaining how to treat ur parents/family members/how to deal with relationships etc...then simply post em on the blog..thats all..

it shall be a more beneficial research site. insha'Allah..

amirah_87
09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Anybody here who also works with the S.E.N students???

amirah_87
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
As Salaamu alaykum,

S.E.N meaning as in "Special Educational Needs/Disabilities etc"...

so anybody else? :?

Hijaabi22
10-07-2006, 04:40 PM
theres a few in my class, a kid with downs syndrome, mashaAllah sooooooooo cute! And a gal wid autism, she is sooooooooooo cute too mashaAllah!! And another boy wid autism too...

ME NEEDS HELP WID RECEPTION PLANNIN, IM DREADIN MY WORK EXPEIENCE BLOK :cry:

butterfly+
10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
hey! i currently teach part time at the Muslim school here. i teach science and art to 7-8 year olds. they are a handful!

Takumi
10-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Get expert advice on education here: http://experteacher.com/index.php?op...oard&Itemid=30

F.Y.
10-28-2006, 04:40 AM
aSIAN qUEEN youll learn as you go along too - trust me. Ive just finished my 3 week block, alhamdulliah and it was a steeep learning curve.
Lessonplans site: www.lessonplanspage.com - its brilliant. Also www.teachingideas.co.uk and www.primaryresources.co.uk - yep, i nick some stuff off the Uk'ers, lol!

Peace

amirah_87
10-28-2006, 02:54 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

MashaAllah, those sites you guys posted up are really Informative.

Jazzakumullaahu Khayran! :)

Hijaabi22
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
aSIAN qUEEN youll learn as you go along too - trust me. Ive just finished my 3 week block, alhamdulliah and it was a steeep learning curve.
Lessonplans site: www.lessonplanspage.com - its brilliant. Also www.teachingideas.co.uk and www.primaryresources.co.uk - yep, i nick some stuff off the Uk'ers, lol!

Peace
lol me know of them sites thanks anyways

Hijaabi22
11-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Any1 Worked Wid Reception?

Kittygyal
11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
salam.
oh are you going to do that:? it's kinda just like sitting around i don't think it's a good job actually, sitting aroung (getting fat :X) && humm picking cells up && what else just eat && toilet :X :lol:
w.salam

Hijaabi22
11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
as if sittin around i wish!

i mean reception as in teachin reception kids, aged 4-5 lol

Kittygyal
11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
salam.
oh silly me i thought receptionist :lol: haha

oh working with reception kids oh thats not bad easy but yeah on one hand fustrating because it is tiring but if you love kids to thy max then you'l love to work there inshallah
w.salam

amirah_87
11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

No I have'nt.. sorry!! :)

muslima_uk
11-14-2006, 11:55 PM
cool! a teachers corner, anyone training at the moment? hard work isnt it!

muslima_uk
11-15-2006, 12:11 AM
whats with all the negativity about teaching. Personally think that its good for muslims to go into such a profession, important aspect of teaching is being a role model, isnt it a good thing to have more muslim role models in schools?

Hijaabi22
11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima_uk
whats with all the negativity about teaching. Personally think that its good for muslims to go into such a profession, important aspect of teaching is being a role model, isnt it a good thing to have more muslim role models in schools?
negativity? wat negativity? :cry: im duin teachin

schoolmaster54
11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
negativity? wat negativity? :cry: im duin teachin

Yes, I love teaching English at school. It is really good to be live model for studets. Students imitate you. Unfortunately teachers are paid very little. But alhamdulillah, it is enough for my family.

Keltoi
11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm currently studying to be a teacher. I've had my moments when I thought I didn't have the patience for it, but I enjoy teaching too much to stop.

Hijaabi22
12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I'm currently studying to be a teacher. I've had my moments when I thought I didn't have the patience for it, but I enjoy teaching too much to stop.
kewllllll

i was feelin like dat las year, i quit but fter few months am bak on da course

enjoyin it but

I

JUS

CANT

WAKE

UP

IN

DA

MORNIN

imsad

so wat yr u work wid

wat bout u schoolmaster

schoolmaster54
12-02-2006, 09:48 PM
kewllllll

i was feelin like dat las year, i quit but fter few months am bak on da course

enjoyin it but

I

JUS

CANT

WAKE

UP

IN

DA

MORNIN

imsad

so wat yr u work wid

wat bout u schoolmaster
I'm 52 years old. I'm an old teacher. I get up very early and pray in the early morning and travel to another city to teach 3 days a week. But I haven't been tired or bored yet. I love my job. Teaching is a joy of my life. If I want, I can be retired but still I want to work. It is very good to be a good model for my students. If you teach students, when you died, your book would not close: their good work will be written in your book (notebook).
It is not for money only. It is necessary to grow up moral muslim generations.
Wassalam!

Pure Imaan
12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters

I was wondering if any1 cud tel me wat course did you do in order to becum a teacher, I want to become a teacher teaching islamic studies but i dont no where to begin, I wud rely appreciate it if ANYONE could giv me a response, jazakhallah, take care.

Assalamualaikum

schoolmaster54
12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Imaan
Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters

I was wondering if any1 cud tel me wat course did you do in order to becum a teacher, I want to become a teacher teaching islamic studies but i dont no where to begin, I wud rely appreciate it if ANYONE could giv me a response, jazakhallah, take care.

Assalamualaikum

Assalam Sister,
I don't know the cases and applications in other countries. But you have to attend an education faculty on your subject to be a teacher. To teach Islam at High Schools, you should go to Religion (Islam) Depatment at Education Faculty in Turkey and it takes for 4 years after high School in Turkey. You can come and be an Islam Teacher at a High School in Turkey. You study The Holy Qur'an, Hadith, Fiqh, Islamic History, Metedelegy and Pedagogy etc.
Wassalam!

Re.TiReD
12-19-2006, 03:39 PM

I just started teaching again...just for the holidays coz the teacher before couldnt hack the cheeky kids! ;D lol and when I got there it was like :hiding: noooooo!! they're gonna bug the life outta me! but after the first five minutes of gettin used to it I was like...SubhanAllah!:) this is the best place to make a difference...such beautiful impressionable minds man! :) I'm serious, teaching in the masjid is the best thing ever...its really rewarding.

schoolmaster54
12-25-2006, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer

I just started teaching again...just for the holidays coz the teacher before couldnt hack the cheeky kids! ;D lol and when I got there it was like :hiding: noooooo!! they're gonna bug the life outta me! but after the first five minutes of gettin used to it I was like...SubhanAllah!:) this is the best place to make a difference...such beautiful impressionable minds man! :) I'm serious, teaching in the masjid is the best thing ever...its really rewarding.

My daughter is teaching Islamic subjects at a Qur'an School. She likes teaching Islam, too. She's rather pious. I'm glad with her. She's doing that for nothing.

Takumi
12-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Does anyone want to share their multiple intelligences lesson plan?

schoolmaster54
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
What's the big attraction?
Why teachers are drawn to using
Multiple Intelligences Theory in their classrooms

by Leslie Owen Wilson
I don't know why
In the spring of 1994 I found myself sitting at an all day conference with hundreds of others in Green Bay, Wisconsin listening to Howard Gardner speak on varied topics. Although most of the participants were educators, and there specifically to hear more about his Multiple Intelligences Theory (MI), Gardner clearly wished to speak about other things. However, he devoted the first half of the morning session to a discussion of MI and fielded related questions. During this time Gardner admitted that his academic peers and the scholarly psychological community had been less than enthusiastic to his MI Theory (Gardner 1993). Gardner went on further to express his surprise and amazement as to the immense success and popularity of the concept among educators.

The voices of teachers:
For the past seven years I have incorporated Gardner's MI concepts into two of my university courses. I have used the concept in both my graduate theories of learning class, and to a lesser degree in my undergraduate sections of educational psychology. Through these experiences I have noticed that my students have developed strong preferences for using techniques related to Gardner's work. My students who are practicing teachers are extremely vocal on the topic. Indeed, I have just completed grading fifty-two comprehensive masters' exams. From this exam group there were three students who took a question from my theories of learning class. In my graduate exam question I asked participants to choose and explain two theories which had been helpful in either changing their teaching practices, or which had help foster a better understanding of learners' differences. Students choosing to answer this question have a broad range of theories and theorists to select from, however, most students invariably have chosen to discuss the impact of MI as one of their two choices. Again, like the vast majority of students before them, the three students who chose to write on this question this time sang the praises of the transformative nature of MI theory and described how it helped them change their perceptions or diversify their teaching practices.

What's the attraction?
Some specific reasons why teachers like MI:
My perceptions, combined with those of my many students, may help define a basis for understanding why both current and future teachers are so taken with Gardner's ideas. Here are some of the most common reasons my students educators seem to be drawn to using MI.
MI theory:

• Has been adapted and interpreted by many intermediate writers who have made it easy for both teachers and parents to see the value of the concept and its applicability to uses in the classroom. This broad range of interpretations at intermediary levels makes related techniques easy to understand and use by both preservice and practicing educators. Also, due to the proliferation of medial interpretations, related conference presentations and accessible classroom materials ( in addition to associated articles for parents in current media ) MI has become so popular that the concept has become much like a grassroots movement.

• Aids teachers in easily creating more personalized and diversified instructional experiences

Offers teachers assistance in helping students become empowered learners by extending and promoting cognitive bridging techniques based on the seven intelligences; by fostering deep metacognitive understanding; and by advancing suggestions for a broad array of diversified study skills techniques.

Helps teachers explain and promote understanding at intrapersonal, interpersonal and cultural levels.

Taps into students' intrinsic levels of motivation through natural talents, thus helping teachers construct self-motivating educational experiences and ones which help promote the concept of flow in the classroom.

Often validates teachers' insightful and intuitive assessments of students' natural talents and offers them justifications and assistance in creating related personalized educational accommodations and experiences.

Provides teachers, parents and students with a more extensive and egalitarian conceptualization of giftedness.
Details:
Intermediate authors:As many educators know, currently a number of authors have adapted Gardner's concepts specifically for classroom use. These writers have used MI as a basis for creating teacher-friendly techniques that can be readily used with students of varied ages. Also, these works offer teachers diverse choices for implementation because their works differ greatly in sophistication, complexity, focus and price. Recently, Gardner reported that MI "has become a minor industry. There are about fifty books on the topic and probably the same number of people who make a living partly from giving talks on the subject . . . (Davies 1996)."
Thus, much of the attraction to MI appears to be directly related to the fact that numerous educators have discovered Gardner's concept on their own, through the broad range of commercial works available. Other educators have learned about the concept from enthusiastic peers who have tried related practices with success, or from peers who have attended a professional conferences, workshops or classes conducted by presenters using Gardner's ideas. In addition, simplified versions of MI descriptions have not only appeared in professional magazines for teachers but also in newspapers and popular magazines, thus alerting and informing many parents and caregivers of the theory's basic principles. This fact has caused many to people to question teachers about students' related gifts. Because teaching concepts related to MI generally produce self-efficacious students, parents who have had children in classrooms where MI techniques are being used, often verbalize their appreciation of the concept and its results to successive teachers. In these contexts, MI has become much like a grassroots movement started at the bottom of the educational pyramid by inspired parents and teachers, as opposed to being initiated from the top by educational policy makers, school boards, administrators, or curriculum directors.
Some of the authors who have made an impact in this area are David Lazear, Thomas Armstrong, Linda and Bruce Campbell, and Robin Fogarty. In fact in several of the works by the aforementioned authors, Gardner himself offers a forward, a preface, a chapter or related chapters or some form of written endorsement supporting the interpretation of his work. These intermediary writers and their related presentations have helped to create accessible bridges from the Gardner's conceptual, theoretical framework directly into classroom practice, again, making the theory easily understandable and applicable to educators at very practical levels.
When listening to my graduate students discuss MI and its numerous classroom applications, it becomes very apparent that much of the popularity of Gardner's theory comes directly from the efforts of these many intermediate authors and not from their direct knowledge of Gardner's parent works (1983, 1993). Because Gardner has opened his work to the care and interpretation of others, much of the concept's popularity appears to relate directly to the ever-growing proliferation of well-versed disciples.
Help with diversifying instruction: Again, mostly due to exposure to the instructional frameworks provided by intermediary authors, my undergraduate students learn to use Gardner's ideas to help diversify and revise lesson plan assignments. Many of my teaching graduate students develop firm attachments for related reasons but more specifically because instructional planning techniques based on MI principles help them easily create interesting, clearly differentiated components for integrated units. MI frameworks also help with updating and expanding older lessons and curricula with minimal effort. In these contexts, practicing teachers grasp onto the concept because it is an accessible tool that is adaptable for a broad range of curricular applications.
Aids students in becoming empowered and in finding bridging techniques and study skills: Many of my graduate students report that they also use MI techniques in their classrooms to help create instructional bridges into difficult concepts. Because MI related techniques are very versatile, they serve as ways to create clearly differentiated or personalized instructional bridges and supportive scaffolds for students having difficulty reaching levels of independent learning. MI techniques help teachers convey the importance of different types of metacognitive functions and help them introduce related types of study skills and mnemonic devices to students. When applied to pupils' individual metacognitive levels, knowledge of Ml categories and related methodologies can assist learners in functioning more effectively and independently.
A tool for understanding self and others: While it is as a practical and effective tool for diversifying instructional plans that may first attract educators to MI related techniques, many of my undergraduate and graduate students express their appreciation at the theory's potential for developing heightened levels of personal, interpersonal, professional and cultural understanding and awareness. Simply put, the theory allows users to view themselves and others differently, often from deeper, multiple perspectives. Resulting levels of heightened understanding are reported as my professional teachers introduce MI Theory to their students. Many teachers have noticed that pupils' self-esteem and self-efficacy levels rise as learners become more aware of their own intrinsic gifts and talents. My practicing teachers also report that their students frequently develop deeper understandings for the complexity of their talents as well as for the talents of peers, friends and family members.
Reflective of the issue of heightened understanding, last year one undergraduate student wrote me a personal note and slipped it under my door. The gist of the note stated that she was in a relationship with a young man whom her friends and family constantly demeaned because they perceived him as beneath her intellectual level and as "just a dumb jock." The message went on further to say that as a result of learning about Multiple Intelligence Theory she had begun to look into her boyfriend's strengths in new ways.
  • Due to my exposure to the multiple intelligences, I have found out that he is very smart in many ways that I am not. He's quiet and knows how to really listen to people, is especially good at working with kids, and often sees beyond people's obvious exteriors. He can fix anything! Obviously, he's good at sports, but he also knows who is, what he's good at, and what he wants to do with his life. He also has lots of common sense! My family and friends are wrong! Thanks for helping me see that he is intelligent in many ways.

While MI techniques serve as a basis for elevated appreciation at interpersonal and intrapersonal levels, related information inherent in Gardner's initial conceptualization can also aid users in understanding cultural differences. As Western cultures tend to value verbal/linguistic intelligence and logical/mathematical intelligence, Gardner points out that other cultures value other types of intelligence (Gardner 1983, 1993; Armstrong 1994 ). Because Gardner included as part of the foundation and justification for his theory the different perceptions and anthropological evidence of cultural variations in defining intelligence, teachers can use this related knowledge to help students develop an appreciation of other cultures. (The issue of heightened multicultural understanding is also very valuable to teachers as well.) Levels of interpersonal understanding can be extended as students and their teachers begin to comprehend and celebrate the talents inherent in others, and this type of awareness can then be extended to a recognition of others' cultural roots. This component creates an additional, and very useful tool for teachers trying to expand students' multicultural attitudes and perceptions. Again, many of students who are educators support this view offering testimony from their own experiences.

Taps into natural talents--helping to create a state of "flow": Related to his studies on creativity, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (1990, 1996 ) reported and named the concept of flow. Simply, the flow state can be defined as an intensified state of concentration, or high level of focused attention. When people are in a state of flow, they are highly centered, on-task, and may literally forget the passing of time. This state of extremely concentrated mental engagement is normally induced if people are doing something they like to do, they are involved tasks that require high levels of mental or physical focus, or they are engaged in something that they are good at doing.
Through creating educational experiences based on natural talents and gifts, teachers are more likely to increase opportunities whereby students can become actively engaged in learning experiences that are pleasurable, heightened or magnified. Such experiences can be highly motivational Many of my practicing teachers report that the flow phenomenon often occurs when students are participating in MI related activities, and that these experiences are often self-motivating and very pleasurable for students.
The validation of natural talents: Many good teachers operate at highly observant and intuitive levels. Part of the artistry of teaching revolves around gut feelings and keen observational skills. However, sometimes teachers operating at levels of intuitive artistry are made to feel that their opinions and assessments of students are trivial, wrong or less valid when compared to profiles developed from verifiable and quantifiable types of traditional measures. In this context, knowledge of MI's definitions of intelligence helps to validate many teachers' qualitative or intuitive assessments of students. Many of my teachers report that this aspect of MI theory is reassuring in affirming that their instincts are correct and valuable parts of their teaching personas.
A more egalitarian conceptualization of giftedness: As Gardner (1983, 1993) repeatedly points out, Western perceptions of intelligence are often limited to tests which assess verbal-linguistic or mathematical-logical skills. Historically, programs that service students who are designated as gifted are reflective of this narrow cultural and educational mindset. MI precepts categorically broaden categories of giftedness. Thus, programs based on MI have the potential to include students having gifts, or combinations of gifts, from Gardner's other designated categories--bodily-kinesthetic, musical, spatial, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and soon to be elaborated, naturalistic intelligence. This broadened array greatly appeals to those teachers and parents who hold a more egalitarian or comprehensive view that every child has a gift or combined gifts.
Currently, many of my graduate students state that they are grappling with the many professional challenges which surround inclusive practices. While, generally, my students seem to accept the underlying philosophical constructs of inclusion, their major concerns appear to be related to questions of implementation, to administrative levels of support, or to their own levels of professional training. But one of the more common philosophical views that is continually voiced is that inclusive practices serve only limited numbers of students--those who fall into narrowly prescribed categories at both ends of the intellectual spectrum. Graduates speaking out on related issues point to the fact that special, categorical designations provide for unequal funding and time commitments and leave the majority of students unserved or supported by special programs, specialists, federal or state mandates or funds, enrichment programs, or the like. My teachers appear to hold the opinion that the lack of support for differentiated instruction for average students is one of the glaring inequities in educational practices in the United States. In these instances, many of my students believe that MI has the potential to serve as a foundation for justifying expanded notions of giftedness and for extending the definition giftedness to broader populations.

Conclusions:
While the answers to understanding the educational popularity of MI Theory fully undoubtedly lie in many directions, the key issues to comprehending the theory's burgeoning acceptance seem to be related to the basic needs of teachers as they try to create more inclusive, affective and effective instruction. These basic teaching needs are primarily related to promoting understanding and appreciation among students, to creating classrooms where learners experience a sense of loving and belonging, to issues of fostering pupils' esteem, personal intellectual empowerment and self-motivation, and to helping teachers achieve more diversified instructional techniques. Simply, MI Theory has taken hold in classrooms across the United States because it helps educators meet the needs of many different types of learners easily, and because it reflects teachers' and parents' deeply rooted philosophical beliefs that all children possess gifts and that part of the most important mission of schools is to foster positive personal development. Thus, teachers understanding and using MI theory, and its related educational frameworks and explanations of diversity, are being transformed into teachers who understand human patterns, human diversity and human learning at better, deeper, and more comprehensive levels.

References:
Armstrong, T. (1994 ) Multiple Intelligence in the classroom. Alexandria, VA: The Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Csikszentmihaly, M. (1990 ) Flow: The psychology of optimal experience. New York: Harper/Collins.
Csikszentmihaly, M. (1996 ) Creativity: Flow and the psychology of discovery and invention. New York: Harper/Collins.
Davies, J. (1996) [On-line} "A reluctant guru on matters between the ears. Howard Gardner talks to John Davies about his theory of human intelligence." (Original published in The Thesis, January 19, 1996)
Gardner, H. (1983) Frames of Mind. New York: Basic Books, Gardner, H. (1993) New York: Basic Books.
About the Author
Currently, Leslie Owen Wilson is an assistant professor of education at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point where she teaches courses in educational psychology, theories of learning, curriculum, and creativity. She has also been a classroom teacher, reading teacher and teacher and developer of programs for highly able and creative learners for over thirteen years in Maryland, Georgia and Oklahoma. Her doctorate is from Oklahoma State University in Curriculum and Instruction with additional emphasis in gifted and talented education and educational foundations. In addition to her varied scholarly and professional pursuits, Leslie has also written the book, Every Child, Whole Child: Classroom Activities for Unleashing Natural Abilities. 1994. Tucson, Ariz.: Zephyr Press, and has just completed the manuscript of another book, Journeys: Inside out, seeking wholeness. Both books bridge theory into practice for teachers and use multiple intelligence theory and holistic learning as their foundations. She has also contributed a chapter on the importance of educational rites of passage experiences in Perspectives on the unity and integration of knowledge for Peter Lang Publishing. UW-SP has recognized her outstanding contributions in the area of instructional delivery with an university teaching excellence award.

http://www.uwsp.edu/education/lwilson/lessons/MI/miindex.htm

Takumi
12-27-2006, 12:34 AM
experteacher.com?

AmarFaisal
12-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Assalam-o-alaikum Everyone,
I don't know why I didn't find this thread earlier, I love the idea of having one especially for teachers.
I am a new member of this forum, have been teaching for 4 years.
I mostly teach elementary school kids. In my expereince what i find most difficult is when u realise that one of ur students is a special needs child who needs to be dealth with n educated through a specially designed curricullum, for e.g., distracted children, absent minded children. These are not the usual ones who just at time of often become distracted or absent minded. However, they r very weak students, who do not understand u. Their IQ level is probably very very low.
What I find difficult abt hem is to persuade their parents that they need to take their child to a doctor for complete therapy or check ups or examination. Parents don't like to hear this abt their children (me being one know it too). But they n we can better serve n help their children if this illness or disability is diagnosed earlier. It justs tells everyone that u need to work harder at home n school with a special curricullum n give these kids more encouragement.
:)

Takumi
01-14-2007, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
Assalam-o-alaikum Everyone,
I don't know why I didn't find this thread earlier, I love the idea of having one especially for teachers.
I am a new member of this forum, have been teaching for 4 years.
I mostly teach elementary school kids. In my expereince what i find most difficult is when u realise that one of ur students is a special needs child who needs to be dealth with n educated through a specially designed curricullum, for e.g., distracted children, absent minded children. These are not the usual ones who just at time of often become distracted or absent minded. However, they r very weak students, who do not understand u. Their IQ level is probably very very low.
What I find difficult abt hem is to persuade their parents that they need to take their child to a doctor for complete therapy or check ups or examination. Parents don't like to hear this abt their children (me being one know it too). But they n we can better serve n help their children if this illness or disability is diagnosed earlier. It justs tells everyone that u need to work harder at home n school with a special curricullum n give these kids more encouragement.
:)
I don't know where you are but these issues are best dealt with special education teachers who can vouch for you.

what you can do is to invite a Special Education Specialist who will conduct several tests to ensure whether what the child is experiencing is a bona fide case of learning disability or just a symptom of non-conducive environment to learning.

You as a teacher, must begin by recording every test, behavior, response and classwork to make sure that your case as a professional educator is strong enough to advocate your findings of this particular child's difficulty in learning.

More often than not, we, educators are too quick to "diagnose" a learning disability and difficulty without going through exhaustive measure to come up with a conclusion.

Research has shown that the Multiple Intelligence modality and a multi sensory teaching and learning aids in students' learning.

As a muslim teacher, it is our obligations to use every method that exists out there to make sure we touch all kinds of learners, because ultimately our boss is not our principal or the school board or the State Education Department, but Allah Al Mighty.

May I suggest that you skim through your lesson plans and see whether or not you can alter your mode of teachings and start from there.

Allah knows best.

AmarFaisal
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Yes Takumi sister ur right.

I am from Kuwait n teaching here. The parents here r very different from many found in the other part of the world.
Well, to start with Kuwait is a very rich country and Kuwaiti people (not all but most) are proud of their oil fields n their riches. Which isn't bad, but it has changed their attitude towards everybody n every1. Some parents beleive they r the "Owners" of the school and the educating system comprising of everyone including teachers n principles.
Believe me, in the school I used to teach it took the administration abt 5 years to come up with a solution to deal with special needs children. Before that, we teachers were not allowed to bring the subject up, and were turned down. As a result, after 5 years,,special needs children who started from KG and reached G4/G5 were no higher than G1 level. This caused a real bad impressionof the school n they had to come up with a solution.

shudnt_have
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Hope you teachers are having tons of fun with your students. I want to add
Contrary to what we label some student with learning disabilities, It has other known roots. I personally think many children who are having academic problems, it can be linked to their familial problems. Ie if they are being abused at home by their parents or called names etc. It is hard to believe, but it is often true.
I’d want to hear from you guys, what you have to say?

nelly
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I need help how 2 control my own!

shudnt_have
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nelly
I need help how 2 control my own!
Do you mean your own kids or your students? :?

shudnt_have
11-14-2007, 03:02 AM
asalams everyone,
hope everyone has been great in the grace of ALLAH. ive been ok. just thought of visitn!

Danah
11-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I will be a teacher in sha allah after the graduation, but I wanna ask you about what is easier in teaching.
Teaching kids or teaching teenagers. I am still dont decide yet what I will chose because my major can take any one of them.
please tell me so I can know how I will improve my self more from now

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.