PDA

View Full Version : The Etiquette of Lending Books



Umm Yoosuf
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
The Etiquette of Lending Books

AUTHOR: Shaikh Saalih bin 'Abdil-'Azeez Aali Shaikh
SOURCE: Taalib-ul-'Ilmi wal-Kutub" (pg. 11-12)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com


From the etiquettes related to books, also, is: The manners of lending out books. Giving out books for people to borrow is not allowed unless you are giving them to someone that you trust will care for the books. The reason for this is because you have the most right to your book, unless you find someone else that is in need of the book and who, when he finishes using it, will return it back to you. It is mentioned in the biography of Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee that a man once asked him if he could borrow one of his books, so he replied saying: “You have three days to use it.” The man said: “That is not enough time.” So Al-Khateeb said: “I have counted its pages, so if you want to make a copy of it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to read it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to do more than that with it, then I have the most right to my book.”

This is correct, since in the past I had lent the first volume of a large book consisting of eight volumes to a brother - I don’t want to mention the title of the book, since perhaps he may hear this and think I’m insinuating him - and now nearly twelve years have passed on, and he still has not returned it to me,. And he tells me he doesn’t know where he put it. Similarly, the eighth volume of another set – even though I’m not worried so much over it – however, more than twenty years have passed and until now, he has not given it back. This is why a poet once said:

“Do not lend your books
And make your answer some excuse
Whoever does in fact lend a book,
I swear, he has not done something good.”

Another person said: “The perdition of books is in lending them.”

It was once said to a man from India who had opened up a huge library: “How did you create this library?” He replied: “By borrowing books from people.” He was asked: “How?” So he said: “I borrow a book and don’t return it. This is how I was able to create this library.” The man asked: “Isn’t this a crime against those you borrow from?” He replied: “Whoever lends his books to people is crazy. And whoever gives back what he borrows is even crazier than him.”

This is since souls are attached to books. In his book al-Qawaa’id, while speaking about a principle, Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab mentioned that there is no capital punishment of cutting the hand for stealing them – i.e. if a person steals a book, then according to some scholars, he does not have to have his hand cut off. This is since there is a doubt in this – i.e. that the truth contained in books is for everyone.

So for example, one of your fellow students or colleagues may get a book and then believe that he has a right to it, especially if the book is a charitable copy or it was given to you as a gift or so on. So this would cause him to take the issue of returning it lightly. He will be lax in giving the book back. and you will be the one who loses out on the book.

Therefore, if you are not sure if the one who is asking to borrow a book from you is serious and will benefit from it in a short amount of days and nights, then do not lend him the book. This is since when you lend your books out to people, you are depriving yourself from their benefit. And not every one that borrows a book can be trusted with it, for how many people have borrowed books and not retuned them!

Published: April 9, 2006

http://www.al-ibaanah.com/articles.php?ArtID=148
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
madeenahsh
06-18-2006, 06:48 AM
The Etiquette of Lending Books

AUTHOR: Shaikh Saalih bin 'Abdil-'Azeez Aali Shaikh
SOURCE: Taalib-ul-'Ilmi wal-Kutub" (pg. 11-12)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

From the etiquettes related to books, also, is: The manners of lending out books. Giving out books for people to borrow is not allowed unless you are giving them to someone that you trust will care for the books. The reason for this is because you have the most right to your book, unless you find someone else that is in need of the book and who, when he finishes using it, will return it back to you. It is mentioned in the biography of Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee that a man once asked him if he could borrow one of his books, so he replied saying: “You have three days to use it.” The man said: “That is not enough time.” So Al-Khateeb said: “I have counted its pages, so if you want to make a copy of it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to read it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to do more than that with it, then I have the most right to my book.”

This is correct, since in the past I had lent the first volume of a large book consisting of eight volumes to a brother - I don’t want to mention the title of the book, since perhaps he may hear this and think I’m insinuating him - and now nearly twelve years have passed on, and he still has not returned it to me,. And he tells me he doesn’t know where he put it. Similarly, the eighth volume of another set – even though I’m not worried so much over it – however, more than twenty years have passed and until now, he has not given it back. This is why a poet once said:

“Do not lend your books
And make your answer some excuse
Whoever does in fact lend a book,
I swear, he has not done something good.”

Another person said: “The perdition of books is in lending them.”

It was once said to a man from India who had opened up a huge library: “How did you create this library?” He replied: “By borrowing books from people.” He was asked: “How?” So he said: “I borrow a book and don’t return it. This is how I was able to create this library.” The man asked: “Isn’t this a crime against those you borrow from?” He replied: “Whoever lends his books to people is crazy. And whoever gives back what he borrows is even crazier than him.”

This is since souls are attached to books. In his book al-Qawaa’id, while speaking about a principle, Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab mentioned that there is no capital punishment of cutting the hand for stealing them – i.e. if a person steals a book, then according to some scholars, he does not have to have his hand cut off. This is since there is a doubt in this – i.e. that the truth contained in books is for everyone.

So for example, one of your fellow students or colleagues may get a book and then believe that he has a right to it, especially if the book is a charitable copy or it was given to you as a gift or so on. So this would cause him to take the issue of returning it lightly. He will be lax in giving the book back. and you will be the one who loses out on the book.

Therefore, if you are not sure if the one who is asking to borrow a book from you is serious and will benefit from it in a short amount of days and nights, then do not lend him the book. This is since when you lend your books out to people, you are depriving yourself from their benefit. And not every one that borrows a book can be trusted with it, for how many people have borrowed books and not retuned them!
Reply

tilmeez-ullah
06-25-2006, 04:10 AM
:sl:

interesting post, everything you state is true ...ive had some problems with book lending.

i lent an islamic book on Jahannam to a brother a while back. unfortuanetly he wasnt the best in iman, but he was a muslim, so in an attempt to strenghthen his imaan i lent him the book. i told him he can keep it until the end of the school year, and here i am, with the year finished, and still with no book.

i was goin to ask him for it personally, but i decided to let the brother keep the book. ive already read the book and benefitted from it, and maybe he just hasnt got around to fully reading it. Plus, maybe one day he will pass it on, and so on and so on, and inshallah Allah will reward me for allowing him to keep it. Maybe this is better for me.

just something i thought you might want to know

:w:
Reply

Khaldun
06-29-2006, 10:21 PM
:sl:

Threads merged.

Please use the search facility before posting any threads.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Isa Abdullah
07-01-2006, 09:50 PM
bismillah

I believe books should be lent to those who seek knowledege from it. You are helping them to attain knowledge, and insha'Allaah it will rectify their behavior.

Give from what you love. The Prophet (saw) always gave and never reminded of the favors that He (saw) did.
Reply

Woodrow
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
To me an unread book is a great waste. When I finish with a book I give it away. If I have more then one copy of a book I give away all but one copy. I never lend a book, but I will give one freely, if I can afford to part with it.
Reply

julie sarri
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
To me an unread book is a great waste. When I finish with a book I give it away. If I have more then one copy of a book I give away all but one copy. I never lend a book, but I will give one freely, if I can afford to part with it.
:sl: i do this as well i have sent books to diffrent countries as well to muslim sisters who find it hard to get islamic books were they live i dont lend books i find it more rewarding to give them to other muslims who are in need of them :w:
Reply

muslim_friend
07-04-2006, 10:34 AM
^MashaAllah! i think that is simply a beautiful thing to do!..
Reply

Isa Abdullah
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
To me an unread book is a great waste. When I finish with a book I give it away. If I have more then one copy of a book I give away all but one copy. I never lend a book, but I will give one freely, if I can afford to part with it.
bismillah

I do so as well.
Reply

learningislam
07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahe wabarakatuhu........

well.....i would agree with the Top most post . I am not saying that "you should not lend ur books" , but my point is " if u give ur books , u should be given back too."
It happens with me most of the time that if i give my books to read, ppl dont return . And then i feel shy to ask for it.I keep on thinking how to ask.Its not the matter of price of the book, when we can buy it once , we can buy it again too.
I dont understand why ppl act so irresponsibly.When we take a book from library, we return it on time, then why dont we return the books of our friends.

Assalamualaikum
Reply

Isa Abdullah
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
bismillah

most people return library books. At times they want to keep those as well. The point is if I lend a book, I do expect it back. I usually read ther book 5 to 10 times and then use it as a reference. If i give it to someone I usually let them have it for up to a year. I feel that is enough time, to read it if there are other things one must do as well.
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
The Etiquette of Lending Books

AUTHOR: Shaikh Saalih bin 'Abdil-'Azeez Aali Shaikh
SOURCE: Taalib-ul-'Ilmi wal-Kutub" (pg. 11-12)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

From the etiquettes related to books, also, is: The manners of lending out books. Giving out books for people to borrow is not allowed unless you are giving them to someone that you trust will care for the books. The reason for this is because you have the most right to your book, unless you find someone else that is in need of the book and who, when he finishes using it, will return it back to you. It is mentioned in the biography of Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee that a man once asked him if he could borrow one of his books, so he replied saying: “You have three days to use it.” The man said: “That is not enough time.” So Al-Khateeb said: “I have counted its pages, so if you want to make a copy of it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to read it, then three days is sufficient for you. And if you want to do more than that with it, then I have the most right to my book.”

This is correct, since in the past I had lent the first volume of a large book consisting of eight volumes to a brother - I don’t want to mention the title of the book, since perhaps he may hear this and think I’m insinuating him - and now nearly twelve years have passed on, and he still has not returned it to me,. And he tells me he doesn’t know where he put it. Similarly, the eighth volume of another set – even though I’m not worried so much over it – however, more than twenty years have passed and until now, he has not given it back. This is why a poet once said:

“Do not lend your books
And make your answer some excuse
Whoever does in fact lend a book,
I swear, he has not done something good.”

Another person said: “The perdition of books is in lending them.”

It was once said to a man from India who had opened up a huge library: “How did you create this library?” He replied: “By borrowing books from people.” He was asked: “How?” So he said: “I borrow a book and don’t return it. This is how I was able to create this library.” The man asked: “Isn’t this a crime against those you borrow from?” He replied: “Whoever lends his books to people is crazy. And whoever gives back what he borrows is even crazier than him.”

This is since souls are attached to books. In his book al-Qawaa’id, while speaking about a principle, Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab mentioned that there is no capital punishment of cutting the hand for stealing them – i.e. if a person steals a book, then according to some scholars, he does not have to have his hand cut off. This is since there is a doubt in this – i.e. that the truth contained in books is for everyone.

So for example, one of your fellow students or colleagues may get a book and then believe that he has a right to it, especially if the book is a charitable copy or it was given to you as a gift or so on. So this would cause him to take the issue of returning it lightly. He will be lax in giving the book back. and you will be the one who loses out on the book.

Therefore, if you are not sure if the one who is asking to borrow a book from you is serious and will benefit from it in a short amount of days and nights, then do not lend him the book. This is since when you lend your books out to people, you are depriving yourself from their benefit. And not every one that borrows a book can be trusted with it, for how many people have borrowed books and not retuned them!

Published: April 9, 2006
Reply

Yanal
08-11-2007, 11:49 PM
So if someone did care and didn't trust that person and gave the book even and it was like in a worse condition before he gave it it is a sin am i right or wrong?
Reply

czgibson
08-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Greetings,

Am I to understand that Shaikh Saalih bin 'Abdil-'Azeez Aali Shaikh makes his living by producing articles like the one in the first post?

Peace
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-12-2007, 01:31 AM
:salamext:

I believe this article is an excerpt from a book that he wrote, Taalib-ul-'Ilmi wal-Kutub (pg. 11-12). Allah Knows best.
Reply

Khaldun
08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
:sl:

There is a famous saying, which goes there are a few things you never lend out (let people borrow) your books and your wife. Notice the order.
Reply

Pk_#2
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Khaldun
:sl:

There is a famous saying, which goes there are a few things you never lend out (let people borrow) your books and your wife. Notice the order.
:-\

JazakAllah thread starter!

And other.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 09:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!