/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Engineering/Human cloning

limitless
06-11-2006, 01:53 PM
:sl:

I know this is a very odd topic, but I wanted to know. I am very interested in genetic engineering, breaking down to human cloning. That is what I want to get into in a University programs. Is this allowed in islam? Mostly people told me "No it is not, It is against Allah's work!"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aishaazher
06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
umm...i have absolutely no idea...i mean i live in iowa and right above is there is minnisota...and some brothers from our mosque went there and there way back they brought a scholar with them..lol (they couldn't come empty handed) anyway...that scholar did a special Q and A session for the sisters and one of the sisters asked what islam sais about human clonning...and he gave a wonderful answer...he said that islam is a religion which is for OUR own good. it has saved us from disastors in this dunya and the akhira...one of the rules of islam is that one should not harm their bodies or put them in danger....with human cloning i have heard very dreadfull cases...so it might make it a danger but allahu a'alam

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 08:42 AM
salam bro

umm put it this way, cloning any organism in general is not haram in itself, because you're not creating anything out of nothing and no one will ever be able to do that.

But what makes it contentious.. is that problems that result from this is what can make it Haram, and i'm not a scholar in a position to make a fatwa but i can tell you the problems with it.

1. There's a risk of making a parent-less generation of kids who's parent is a machine. meaning that they won't have teh chacne of being brought up properly or cared for like a normal child. Child care is definately not the solution.

2. Scientists have their fears that there's no guarentee that cloned creatuers could have weaknesses such as being receptive to diseases whcih, in the past may have been unable to get to humans due to immune system deficiences or thing sof that like...

basicaly the same argument that applies to G.M. food applies here as well.. except that its on a more dangerous level.. you're dealing with humans and alot of trouble can start.

Afterall Allah's natural laws are the most perfect so why mess aroudn with his creation and endup in a misery. I see it's best to avoid it.

However, Biomedical engineering is an awesome area to delve into.. things like creating robotic hands and limbs are a GREEATT way to help people who desperately need such thing, and it doesnt pose any social or physical danger inshalah.. no where near as much as cloning living things atleast..

all the best salams

F.Y.
07-26-2006, 04:34 AM
How different are the processes involved in genetic engineering/human cloing and embryonic stem cell research?
Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
07-26-2006, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
How different are the processes involved in genetic engineering/human cloing and embryonic stem cell research?
Peace
The first and major difference is the source of the genetic material. In genetic engineering cells from both parents would be used and selectively altered to produce a baby built to specification. The birth process would essential be the same as any other birth. The difference would be in the selection and specific splicing of DNA in the gametes prior to in-vitro fertilization. Cloning involves the use of DNA from one organism and causing the DNA to make a duplicate of the organism. That could have potential for some beneficial work that may be halal, such as a child could have cell material removed from their own bodies to make and store exact duplicates of their vital oragans if ever needed. This would be using material produced by the person them selves and would not be the production of a viable independent creature, just the production of compatable tissue. Embryonic stem-cell research is dependant on using the non-specific cells of aborted foetuses to grow into specific organs. To me this is a questionable thing as it requires the use of abotion for the material.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.