/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Photography

Munda Pakistani
06-18-2006, 11:07 AM
A week ago, I ordered a camera(220 Euros). I was under the impression that only picture-making(drawing etc) is haraam, not picture-taking (photography).

I now hear that photography is haram too.

Two questions:

1) Is it really haram? I've read two fatwas, from Islam Q&A and EFatwa. Both said photography's haram, but their logic in branding it as picture-making was not very convincing.

It's a gift from my dad. Somehow turning around and saying "Hey dad! Guess what? I just realise the camera we ordered(after quite some research btw) was a waste; photography's haram" doesn't seem very appealing.

He is, alhamdulillah, a good Muslim, but he does not follow rules such as this very strictly.

2) What now? :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
:sl:

There are different opinions on this topic, the one i find most convincing is the following:

Question: Why do some scholars claim that photography is unlawful while others consider it lawful?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

Please understand that photography did not exist at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Therefore, scholars have to compare photography to matters that Islam has ruled about. The ruling, therefore, is not based on an explicit text but on juristic discretion (ijtihâd).

Some scholars have compared photography to hand-drawn pictures. Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates from the Prophet (peace be upon him): “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahih Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest penalty on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahih Mulsim]

Photography resembles drawing pictures in that it is a human effort that results in a fixed image of a person or an animal on a flat surface. Therefore, some scholars ruled that photographing people and animals is unlawful, because it falls under the prohibited act of image-making.

There are, however, significant differences between drawing a picture and taking a photograph. Drawing a picture is a fully creative process on the part of the artist. Photography is capturing a reflected image on film or in digital memory. The creative contribution of the photographer is therefore quite different than the creative contribution of a portrait maker. For this reason many scholars, including Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, consider photography to be lawful.

And Allah knows best.
Source

Munda Pakistani
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

There are different opinions on this topic, the one i find most convincing is the following:

Source

Jazakallah.

That's really helpful, especially because it says what I want it to say. :happy:

DAWUD_adnan
06-19-2006, 06:55 AM
if it was haram Allah would have told us in the Quran, because the Quran is not bent on time, many people tend to forget that

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
06-19-2006, 06:57 AM

^^bro i dont think it works that way. Photography didnt exist in the time of the prophet so how could this be clarified.

lolwatever
06-19-2006, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

^^bro i dont think it works that way. Photography didnt exist in the time of the prophet so how could this be clarified.
i think he meant based on deduction, besides the fact that photo's aren't really equivalent to drawing because it's just the recording of light onto film, it's gotta be remembered that drawing living things is haram because as subtle as it may be, Islam cuts off all roots to shirk

i think most people know how the first idols where brought about and worshipped.

So even though photography might be ok in principle, it's gotta be iterated that they're not suppose to be stuck around on walls or be used to 'seek blessings' from 'pious ones' as some sufis n other wacky people do... otherwise the same ruling for drawing applies to photo.

That's nto the only reason for the illegality of drawing, it's another reason that (because of it) makes photo's permissible and hand drawing, modelling, live sculpting non permissible. But this is long enough.

salam

------
06-19-2006, 02:19 PM
He is, alhamdulillah, a good Muslim, but he does not follow rules such as this very strictly.
Well a Muslim follows the rules of Islam...and what do u mean by strictly..?

Daffodil
06-19-2006, 04:59 PM
That's really helpful, especially because it says what I want it to say.
Ask ur local imam or sheikh.

Wateva he ses then go with that, remember that u cant just take rulings to suit ur needs, thats not what islam is about. Go to ur local sheikh or whoever u normaly ask questions of fiqh to n go with that rather then fatwas that suit ur situation.

N ur dad might be upset but im sure u can return the camera, n dnt forget if u giv something up for the sake of Allah swt he will grant u something far better. n pleasing Allah swt is more important then pleasing his creation.

Asalamulaikum.

Z
06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
lolwhatever has said something interesting.

photography is just the capturing of light. you are not yourself creating anything.

Munda Pakistani
06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Well a Muslim follows the rules of Islam...and what do u mean by strictly..?
Does it matter now?

learningislam
06-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Assalmualikum .....

i also had that problem.......photography allowed or not......
i came across a very informative lecture on this topic.......and quite convincing too.......
so i am pating the link below

http://www.alhudapk.com/audio-video/...aphy/photo.asp

And one thing more...this audio lecture is in urdu language.......

so i hope that it will be helpful
assalamualikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.