/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer or Death?

muslim_friend
06-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabrakatuhu,

Hope evryone's doing well, inshaAllah. There's something that has been bothering me lately:

What is the punishment for one who intentionally does not wish to do his/her salaah?

i have this fiqh book here and the penalty mentioned here is death. Is this true? can someone confirm this. i tried islamqa.com but unfortunately something is wrong with the website and everything is in arabic, even though there is an english section.

I will type out the content present in this book of mine for more clarity:

.......Some hadith make it clear that such a person should be killed. For example: Ibn Abbas reported hat the Prophet upon whom be peace said "The ties of Islam and the principles of the religion are three and whoever leaves one of them becomes an unbeliever and his blood beomes lawful: tetifying that there is no God but Allah, the obligatory prayers and the fast of ramadaan(Realted by Abu ya'ala with a hassan chain)

Another narration states that "If anyone leaves one of them, by Allah he becomes an unbeliever and no voluntary deeds or recompense will be accepted from him and his blood an wealth become lawful".This is a clear indication that such a person is to be killed.

Ibn Umar related that messnger of Allah (pbuh) said "I have been ordered to kill people until they testify that there is no God except Allah and that Muhamad is the messenger of Allah and hey estabilish prayer and pay the zakaah.If they do that their blood and wealth are protected from me save by the rights of Islam.their reckoning will be with Allah"(Bukhari,Muslim).

Umm salaamah related that the prophet said "There will be rulers over you who will do good and evil things.Whoever hates these (latter) acts will be innocent of them.Whoever enies them will be safe, but not one who accepts and follows them".they asked 'Should we kill them?". He said "Not if they pray"(uslim) Therefore he made in unlawful to kill even an unjust ruler who observes his prayers.

Abu Saeed reported that Ali while he was in yemen sent the prophet some gold and which he divided among four people.A man said "O messenger of Allah, beware of Allah". The Prophet said "Woe to you.Of all the people of the earth, am I not the most dutiful in being aware of Allah?" Khalid Ibn Al walid said "O messenger of Allah shall i kill him?" he said "Perhaps he is one of those who pray" khalid said "How many people say with their tongues what is not in their hearts?" .The prophet said "I have not been ordered to look into the hearts of people nor to rip open their bellies (Abridged from Bukhari, Muslim). In this hadith also, prayer is given as the reason for not killing a person. It is understood therefore, that not praying would have resulted in the person's killing.

Even though the preceding hadith clearly rule that one who discards salaah beomes and unbeliever and is to be killed, many early and later scholars(excluding Abu Hanifah, Malik , ash-Shafi) belive that such person become evil doers who must repent.if such a person does not repent, he is to be killed.that being the prescribed punishment according to Malik, ash-Shafi and others.Abu hanifah maintains that such a person is not to be illed but must be given a minor punishment and confined until he prays. they say the hadith are contradicted by other texts.For eg:Allah says "Lo! Allah does not pardon one who gives Him partners.He pardons all save whom He wills"(an nisa 116)...
Title of BOOk: FIQH-US-SUNNAH; purification and prayer. (American trust publications) ...is the book reliable? it's quite old.

AUTHOR: AS-Sayyid Sabiq.. the author? any details about him?

Is anyone familiar with this topic? Can someone who knows arabic look up www.islamqa.com for the correct answer. It's in arabic and i don't know arabic. JazakAllah khair
waiting with impatience...................................

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Some hadith make it clear that such a person should be killed
Ibn Umar related that messnger of Allah (pbuh) said "I have been ordered to kill people until they testify that there is no God except Allah and that Muhamad is the messenger of Allah and hey estabilish prayer and pay the zakaah.If they do that their blood and wealth are protected from me save by the rights of Islam.their reckoning will be with Allah"(Bukhari,Muslim).
Subhanallah

muslim_friend
06-20-2006, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Subhanallah
Actually, this has come as bit of a shocker to me. :D .. I did not know that negligence of prayer should be penalised by death.

HEy! anyone out there, who's familiar with this topic???

- Qatada -
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
:salamext:

I've also read this;

The Prophet (peace be upon) said: Between a person and kufr (disbelief) and shirk (associating partners with Allah) is the abandonment of the prayer." (Sahih Muslim).

source: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...=en&lr=lang_en

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.