/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Word limit

manaal
06-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Is there are word limit for posting a new thread? If so how many?
Many new threads have very long articles that take a long time to read. Sometimes I wonder if the poster him/herself has read the article.
If posts were a little shorter or limted to about 1000 words more people would read them and give comments.
Concise and clear articles will have a bigger audience.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
:sl:

but usually the person doesnt write the article they get it from somewhere else so tey cant exactly change it...

manaal
06-22-2006, 01:06 PM
maybe condense a bit then. You knoe like reader's digest does.

Starseeker
06-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree as well...I don't think that the rule should change though. I just think that people should be more conciencious of what they are posting and how relevant it is.

Sometimes when I see a really long post I just cant be bothered reading it especially when there are no paragraphs

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
06-22-2006, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarah999
I agree as well.. I don't think that the rule should change though. I just think that people ahould be more conciencious of what they are posting and how relevany it is.

Sometimes when I see a really long post I just cant be bothered reading it espacially when there are no papragraphs.
Exactly, a very good point to be considered sister

Daffodil
06-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Sometimes its necessary for the more intellectual posts.

Starseeker
06-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm not saying that the intellectual posts should be stopped but it's more about the length of some of them. I have read some really long posts and thought that it was informative and everything. But somethimes some of the content is irrelevant and I just think that people should edit out some of that stuff.

afriend
06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
it's all in the glitches of Copy&Paste'ing........

Also, if format of the text could be considered, like the use of paragraphing...

Daffodil
06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
it's all in the glitches of Copy&Paste'ing........

Also, if format of the text could be considered, like the use of paragraphing...

for crying out loud u ppl aint half fussy!!!

Starseeker
06-22-2006, 05:17 PM
We're not being fussy.. just have the interest of the forum at heart!

Daffodil
06-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Well somehow i dnt see how the mods are gonna put a limit on the length of a post n delete posts that dnt have paragraphs just for the sake of a couple ppl.

Starseeker
06-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm not saying that that should happen, I don't think that there are anything wrong with the rules I just think that
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarah999
Ipeople should be more conciencious of what they are posting and how relevant it is.

glo
06-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I must admit that lengthy posts put me off.
I end up not reading them. :rollseyes

Peace.

Woodrow
06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
There are time a very long post is justified. However, what seems justified to one person, another may see it as TMI(Too Much Information).

Myself I think if I view a post as being too long, it is merely it being a subject I have no interest in. We are individuals what one of us likes, somebody else will dislike.

What pleases one person will anger another. Might as well leave the post length alone. No matter if it is changed to a limitation, there will still be those who do not like it.

Starseeker
06-22-2006, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
What pleases one person will anger another. Might as well leave the post length alone. No matter if it is changed to a limitation, there will still be those who do not like it.
[AGREED! :peace:

afriend
06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Well somehow i dnt see how the mods are gonna put a limit on the length of a post n delete posts that dnt have paragraphs just for the sake of a couple ppl.
I'm not saying that they should delete....You are just jumping to conclusions...

My point that I'm trying to make is that the use of paragraphs makes things easier and less painful to read. It also organises articles, hence making them more easier to understand.

Daffodil
06-22-2006, 05:42 PM
if u dnt like the look of the post dnt read it end of. whats the big deal

aamirsaab
06-22-2006, 06:28 PM
A simple tap of the enter key can usually turn a block of illegible text into a nice series of paragraphs.

We call this technique a paragraph.

As you can see, it's fantastic and makes the post easier to read.

BlissfullyJaded
06-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Also instead of simply copying and pasting, put a tiny bit of effort into it. Bold and italicilize and color (but do not use bright pink please) particular parts, because nobody is going to read things word for word. There are very few poeple who do that. :)

Create some eye appeal in what you post... :)

glo
06-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Aamirsaab and Labibah

I so agree with your posts. It only takes a little effort to make a post more readable.

it should be in everybody's interest. After all, if you go through the trouble of writing a post, surely you would like others to read it ... wouldn't you?

Peace.

SirZubair
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Concise and clear articles will have a bigger audience.

* Self promoter alert *

...yeah,..such as This thread ...

manaal
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I saw your thread SirZ. It was long but I read it cos it was reader freindly.

What I'm trying to say is that the post should be presented clearly and shortened a bit. That way people like me, who lead busy lives can read more posts.
And Daffodil, I thinl its unfair for you to say, "if you don't like the way a post looks, don't read it". We are all members of this forum and members who are posting should care enough to make their articles clear and reader-freindly. :)
I mean doesn't staring at the monitor for 5 minutes at a streach hurt you eyes?? :giggling:

Pk_#2
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
if u dnt like the look of the post dnt read it end of. whats the big deal
And if you don't like the way people type....don't make it a big deal...end of.

btw....sometimes long posts are ok...cause they are actually condensed and everything there is needed...buh sometimes its tooooo long :)

i like to stick to the smaller ones...the rules are cool...no need for them to change. :sl:

Daffodil
06-23-2006, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
And if you don't like the way people type....don't make it a big deal...end of.[/COLOR]

btw....sometimes long posts are ok...cause they are actually condensed and everything there is needed...buh sometimes its tooooo long :)

i like to stick to the smaller ones...the rules are cool...no need for them to change. :sl:

I wasnt the one making a big deal of it love, u and ur txt talk buddies were the ones that made a big deal of it n there are more ppl here that txt talk then ppl that write long posts with no paragraphs. And my post was refering to "things that annoy me" not "can ppl stop writing long posts"

snakelegs
06-23-2006, 09:53 PM
i think if a person could either just copy and paste the first couple of paragraphs or summarize enough for people to see whether they want to read it any further.
once in a while it is good to read a long piece - you should be able to judge after a couple of paragraphs whether or not you're interested.
it is certainly impractical to have a rule about how many words should be the limit - well, who will bother to count them? and would Big Brother sit there and count them to make sure they comply.

Muezzin
06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it is certainly impractical to have a rule about how many words should be the limit - well, who will bother to count them? and would Big Brother sit there and count them to make sure they comply.
Well, VBulletin, the software of this forum, does allow an automatic character limit so far as I'm aware, but I don't know about a word limit.

Anyway, this decision isn't mine to make. I agree with the posters who say 'if you find it too long, skip it'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.