/* */

PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Why isn't Music allowed?

Fishman
06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
:sl:
I've been having a big discussion with my non-Muslim parents about why music isn't allowed, and since I'm not very good at debates, I don't have very good answers. They keep telling me that music hasn't done them any harm, and that music makes you happy. I've tried comparing the affects of music to illegal drugs, but they keep asking me what harm having something to make you feel a certain way does. They also keep accusing me of being autistic, because of the apparent 'rules are rules' atitude they think I have, and they are worried about me becoming an extremist or just hiding away from society to get away from doing haram things. Please answer me soon, because I need answers before I go on a bike ride.

Please don't close this because it's a music topic, I really need answers. If I don't have any, they'll just think it's a stupid prohibition.

Please answer soon, I really need your help!
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Taqiyah
06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
ASalama Alaikum...
I hope this answers your question. Enjoy........

:heated: Listening to music and singing is a sin and cause for the sickening and weakening of the heart. The majority of the scholars of the Salaf are unanimous that listening to music and singing and using musical instruments is Haram (prohibited).

Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram:uhwhat

1. Allaah said, what translated means, "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allaah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment[31:6].:statisfie

:sister: The Prophet said (which means), "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allaah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." [Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v].

This Hadeeth states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet said, 'render as lawful,' he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

+o( Imam Ibn Taymiyyah also said regarding the person, whose habit is to listen to music, "His state of emotions becomes less passionate when he hears the Qur'aan. On the contrary, when he listens to instruments of the devil (music), he dances a lot. If the prayer is established, he either prays while sitting down or performs it as fast as when the roaster picks seeds. He dislikes listening to the Qur'aan and does not find beauty in it while reciting it. He has no taste for the Qur'aan and feels no love for it or pleasure when it is read. Rather, he finds pleasure if he listens to Mukaa' or Tasdiyah. These are satanic pleasures and he is among those whom Allaah mentioned in the Ayah, And whosoever turns away from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him Satan to be a companion for him. [43:36]." [Awliyaa' Ar-Rahman].

;D Asalama Alaikum...

strider
06-24-2006, 08:22 PM
You will find that their are opposing views from scholars with regards to this issue.

Fishman
06-24-2006, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
You will find that their are opposing views from scholars with regards to this issue.
I read some of the opposing views and didn't find them very convincing. Anyway, as Umm Shaheed said, this isn't a fiqh board.

I don't want to discuss whether it's not allowed, I want good reasons why. If I don't get any reasons that will convince an atheist, then they will just think I'm stupid.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MinAhlilHadeeth
06-24-2006, 08:28 PM
The Prophet (SAW) taught us to stay away from that which is doubtful.
W'salaam

Fishman
06-24-2006, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
The Prophet (SAW) taught us to stay away from that which is doubtful.
W'salaam
They won't accept it, they'll probably accuse me of having a 'rules are rules' attitude, and call me autistic again.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-24-2006, 08:43 PM
:sl: bro,
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I've been having a big discussion with my non-Muslim parents about why music isn't allowed, and since I'm not very good at debates, I don't have very good answers. They keep telling me that music hasn't done them any harm, and that music makes you happy.
Don't introduce these issues as restrictions but as directions that Islam has pointed you in. So for example, rather than saying "I can't listen to music because I'm Muslim', say, 'I've reached an understanding where happiness to me is not found in the rhythms of worldly noises but the rhythms of loving devotion to and glorification of the Creator'. I said in another thread:
I've found that when giving Da'wah to such Muslims, if you tell them to focus on their relationship with God and learning their religion they will naturally leave music. Once someone becomes more focused on their religion, they abandon these things by themselves [*]
And you shouldn't introduce Islam to your parents starting with all the prohibitions and regulations first. That's putting the cart before the horse; you need to start with the message. For example, You aren't going to get a non-muslim to agree that men shouldn't wear silk or that we should enter the washroom with our left foot or that we should eat with our right hand. These rules come only after you accept the Qur'an and the Sunnah. So to argue with non-muslims over these rules is missing the mark.

Lastly, the title of this thread is 'why isn't music allowed?' but not all music falls under the same ruling and there are many gray areas as well.

I hope this helps.

noshaba
06-24-2006, 08:51 PM
errm....all i knw is that allah has commanded tht the use of instruments excpet the drum is haraam....as they force u into things away from allah and ur religion, which music does...therefore music is classed as haraam....i hope tht helps
salaam brother

Woodrow
06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Personaly I do not see this as being a music thread per se. I view this as being an explanatory thread as to why some things are not permitted for Muslims.

I do not know why music is considered Haraam in most forms, however I do know that some forms of Music are haraam. I do not know if that includes all Music or if there may be some permissable Music. Based on my limited knowledge, I would say I probably should avoid all forms of Music so that I do not intentionaly present something that is Haraam to others.

Music is a moot point to myself as I can not hear most Music. However, I do need to be aware and do my best to keep from presenting something that is Haraam to others.

I would say that Music is haraam because it has the ability to generate an emotion, sometimes emotions can lead to haraam thoughts and/or actions. It is a tool well recognised by the advertising media, it is used to instill the desire for people to buy a certain product. If the advertising execs on Madison Avenue knows it can sell products, it seems that Shaitan probably knows it can sell sin.

Samee
06-24-2006, 10:39 PM

Your parents need to realize something:

In Islam, we give up ALOT of things that we would normally love to do for the sake of Allah. In return, he gives us what he owes us and 1000x the pleasure in paradise. Music may be prohibited here, but in paradise, it is rampant. The hoors in paradise sing all day long.

The same can be thought of other things. There are two reasons why something is prohibited- either it causes us a great deal of harm (smoking) or because Allah wants to test us (music).

Let's give it up in this life so we can get it in the next life.

Pk_#2
06-24-2006, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Perhaps you'd like to explain why. All I'm doing here is stating facts.

Presumably Fishman has decided he wants to be a Muslim and obey Islamic rules, and who am I to argue with that? People are free to believe what they like.

Similarly, you are free to believe that music has harmful if effects if you like, perhaps taking justification from articles such as the one you've linked to; all I'm doing is pointing out the factual void that such an opinion stems from.

Peace
ok thats cool...dun bite my head off brother :)

Just when stating that you agree 100% with his parents sounded harsh, but you don't have to disagree with them, i just dunno why you said that, Fishmans nice so he didn't reply, but it kinda ticked me off :rollseyes

nevermind peace!

Sohrab
06-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I've been having a big discussion with my non-Muslim parents about why music isn't allowed, and since I'm not very good at debates, I don't have very good answers. :w:
Dear Fishman bro!
I'm afraid if i am trying to prove to everyone that whatever is prohibited in islam has a scientific explanation, it's not really going to work. The earlier the people get the message that islam is based on words of Allah and teaching of prophet (sallallahu alaihe wasallam), the better. Quote from Sura Ahzab Ayah 36....

It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error.

I'm pretty sure this answer won't satisfy many inquisitive minds, but the prohibitions and allowances are primarily based on Allah and His Messenger's orders, not on scientific advantages or disadvantages.

You have shown great courage in your quest to embrace islam...MashAllah. May Allah help us all be guided on the straight path. Ameen

Pk_#2
06-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Well you know the reason i included effects of music was because his rents are non-Muslims and might find it hard to understand that 'Music is haraam (forbiddon) full stop' And the fact that he won't have reasons to back it up, they might say stuff to reassure him that Islams not the right religion for him and stuff, but really it should be the other way round, he should now be trying to convince them that Islam is the true religion, because he sees the truth in it, and inshaAllah if they also see the truth it will be easier for them to practice, ya know as a family, if you get what i'm saying. You can't expect a non Muslim to follow everything so easily without back-up, for us the Quran and Sunnah are enough but maybe not for them, so you have to use other factors science etc to help them have a better understanding.

Allhu alum (And Allah knows best),

AsalamuAlaykum.

Sohrab
06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
Well you know the reason i included effects of music was because his rents are non-Muslims and might find it hard to understand that 'Music is haraam (forbiddon) full stop' And the fact that he won't have reasons to back it up, they might say stuff to reassure him that Islams not the right religion for him and stuff, but really it should be the other way round, he should now be trying to convince them that Islam is the true religion, because he sees the truth in it, and inshaAllah if they also see the truth it will be easier for them to practice, ya know as a family, if you get what i'm saying. You can't expect a non Muslim to follow everything so easily without back-up, for us the Quran and Sunnah are enough but maybe not for them, so you have to use other factors science etc to help them have a better understanding.

Allhu alum (And Allah knows best),

AsalamuAlaykum.
Dear Sis,

I really appreciate your concern and you are trying to help bro Fishman, like us all. I agree with you that to start off for a new muslim isn't easy and needs a lot of help with queries regarding Halal and Haram. I also agree that most of the things in Islam are very congruent with Modern Science. For satisfaction of heart it's all fine. What I won't endorse is something like "i left music because it has following disadvantages" and "i pray because it gives me good excercise and i fast because is good for my health". "i keep a beard because it has these advantages" etc.

Please i'm not condemning anyone's effort to help new muslims. I'm very sure you all are doing much better than i am.

I'd end on this ayah from sura baqara:

The Messenger (Muhammad ) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allâh, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)."

Jazakellaha

czgibson
06-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Greetings,
ok thats cool...dun bite my head off brother :)
Sorry - I didn't mean to. Please accept my apologies. Let's discuss the issue rather than attacking people who hold different views from us.

Just when stating that you agree 100% with his parents sounded harsh, but you don't have to disagree with them, i just dunno why you said that, Fishmans nice so he didn't reply, but it kinda ticked me off :rollseyes
It might have been harsh, but it's the truth. Having the word "Atheist" in my profile might seem harsh too. The Islamic prohibition on music is an issue I feel very strongly about. The fact is that there's no way to convince someone that all music is bad by using rational argument. Muslims don't believe music is bad because they have any valid, worldly reason for doing so - it's because of religious dogma, and all other arguments put forward in favour of the prohibition are just back-pedalling to try and justify that.

Peace

Samee
06-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Greetings,

Sorry - I didn't mean to. Please accept my apologies. Let's discuss the issue rather than attacking people who hold different views from us.

It might have been harsh, but it's the truth. Having the word "Atheist" in my profile might seem harsh too. The Islamic prohibition on music is an issue I feel very strongly about. The fact is that there's no way to convince someone that all music is bad by using rational argument. Muslims don't believe music is bad because they have any valid, worldly reason for doing so - it's because of religious dogma, and all other arguments put forward in favour of the prohibition are just back-pedalling to try and justify that.

Peace
Once again, no one ever said anything about music being bad. Islam does NOT say music is bad for you. God has just banned us from listening to music as a mere test. In the Akhira (hereafter) we will be allowed to listen to all kinds of beautiful music and singing.

We're not trying to convince you that music is bad for the soul. In fact, it probably is good for you in some ways. That doesn't mean it isn't prohbitied by God as a means of testing the ones he loves- if they pass the test, Lo! They get the music forever in the herafter. If they fail the test, well then they don't get to listen to the music in the hereafter.

Do you want a pleasureable thing for 40 years or 4,000 years?

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Muslims don't believe music is bad because they have any valid, worldly reason for doing so
Are you suggesting that religious reasons aren't valid or that none of the 'wordly' reasons invoked by Muslims are valid? If its the latter, then i would agree that it is methodologicaly flawed for Muslims to attempt to convince non-muslims that there is empirical benefit in Islamic regulations like entering the washroom with the left foot, men not wearing silk, and so on. These are our practices that naturally follow from our acceptance of the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

Regards

czgibson
06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
Once again, no one ever said anything about music being bad.
The writer of this ludicrous article says exactly that.

Greetings Ansar,
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Are you suggesting that religious reasons aren't valid or that none of the 'wordly' reasons invoked by Muslims are valid?
I'm not suggesting that religious reasons aren't valid for those who believe in that particular religion. What I am saying is that religious reasons are not valid worldly reasons.

I'm also saying that I've never seen an argument about "why all music is bad" from a Muslim that is at all convincing. See, for example, the article I've linked to above. I don't know how anyone could take nonsense like that seriously for a split second.

Peace

Malaikah
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
czgibson,

Yes well they are just people trying to explain why something is bad isnt it? they are doing their best, but they dont have God's wisdom- God knows best why music was made illegal for us and that should be good enough for a muslim. We place our trust in Allah swt.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Greetings,

Surely they're right, though? (Except for the part about calling you autistic - that's perhaps a bit cruel).

I know that as a Muslim you take rules seriously, but ultimately that's your only reason for abiding by them. You're not doing it for any logical reason that could be demonstrated to an outsider; you're simply obeying because you've chosen to do so.

There's nothing wrong with music per se - you've just chosen to abstain from it because you've been told to by an authority that you trust (Allah). This is why you're having such a problem with this issue, and why you can't find any convincing reasons beyond that for having given it up.

Peace
Let me get this straight. So you agree that Allah has outlawed Music, but then you say there is no evidence against it?
I really couldn't care less if you were part of an orchestra. To me, the laws of Allah are sacred. And I accept them without question. That is part of Iman.
But since you neither believe in Islam, or the existence of God, I suppose this of little concern to you.

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I've been having a big discussion with my non-Muslim parents about why music isn't allowed, and since I'm not very good at debates, I don't have very good answers. They keep telling me that music hasn't done them any harm, and that music makes you happy. I've tried comparing the affects of music to illegal drugs, but they keep asking me what harm having something to make you feel a certain way does. They also keep accusing me of being autistic, because of the apparent 'rules are rules' atitude they think I have, and they are worried about me becoming an extremist or just hiding away from society to get away from doing haram things. Please answer me soon, because I need answers before I go on a bike ride.

Please don't close this because it's a music topic, I really need answers. If I don't have any, they'll just think it's a stupid prohibition.

Please answer soon, I really need your help!
sorry lol didnt hav time to read all those above posts.. thought i'd plug an input tho.

1. Nevermind what they think.

2. Not all music might have unislamic words, but most of it does. One neat thing about Islam is that it cuts of all ways to haram... Most people who get hooked onto techno eventually get hooked onto the songs as well.

3. Music is awesome at driving you into fantasy. Islam doesn't want you to live on fantasy and out of reality, it wants you to stick to reality and not get carried away by emotions.

4. The Hadith clearly says its haram and one day it will be regarded as halal (along with alchohol and fornication), no need for rationalism or philosophisism.

Umar001
06-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Whao sis tatasmiya...

mashallah good info.

The first poster should have seen the video on brother Ahmeds page.

See this is exactly what the video speaks about, but in the context of debating women's rights.

With most issues if you debate little matters like these because most people's view point changes alot they will jus state something then state something else.

But if you say to your parents, I believe it because G-d prophibited it, then you can open a door to introducing them to islam which is the greater dawa, for example:

Marge and Homer : Yo dude why you not listening to Music mannn..
Bart: Cos my religion says it has bad effects..
Marge and Homer: Oh what effects are those..

And the arguement goes off away from the message of G-d

But look at what smart Lisa would say,

Marge and Homer : Yo dude why you not listening to Music mannn..
Lisa: Because G-d prohibited it..
Marge and Homer: Hmmm, He did? Do you just obey Him?
Lisa: well once you find the straight path it is only logical you obey your Creator for dont you think the Creator knows better than His creation?
Marge and Homer: Hmm, I guess He does, but how do you know your on the straight path?
Lisa: Well......it is a long story..
Homer: runs to get donoughts..
Lisa: *tells the story* dawa given.

And so the dawa is given and the attention is diverted from the problem of listening to music to a talk about why Islam is the right path.

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Isa Abdullah.. honestly.. whatever.. lol just be nice to your parents and tell them that our life is a test.. and Allah set the rules, and the rules can be found in quran and hadith.. and that's all you need to do. (And be really sweet and polite about it)

ps: lol bro zubair ur the best hehe, jazaks 4 that.

czgibson
06-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Greetings,
Let me get this straight. So you agree that Allah has outlawed Music, but then you say there is no evidence against it?
I said there was no worldly reason to believe that all music is bad.

I really couldn't care less if you were part of an orchestra. To me, the laws of Allah are sacred. And I accept them without question. That is part of Iman.
But since you neither believe in Islam, or the existence of God, I suppose this of little concern to you.
Essentially, yes, although of course you're free to believe whatever you like. My point is simply that you have no worldly reason for not listening to music. You abstain from it simply because you believe Allah has told you to do so. Correct?

Lolwatever even confirms this by saying: "no need for rationalism". If you want to live your life ignoring rationality then that is up to you, but just think of how many things we would lack without it.

By the way, IsaAbdullah, Lisa Simpson would blatantly never give up music! She's a keen sax player, remember?

Peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I do see reasons for abstaining from Music. It distarcts you from more important things. And personally, I don't know how people can sing and dance, whilst they knew the reality of life.
Allah is Al 'Aleem, the All-Knowing.
-Peace

DAWUD_adnan
06-25-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
Once again, no one ever said anything about music being bad. Islam does NOT say music is bad for you. God has just banned us from listening to music as a mere test. In the Akhira (hereafter) we will be allowed to listen to all kinds of beautiful music and singing.

We're not trying to convince you that music is bad for the soul. In fact, it probably is good for you in some ways. That doesn't mean it isn't prohbitied by God as a means of testing the ones he loves- if they pass the test, Lo! They get the music forever in the herafter. If they fail the test, well then they don't get to listen to the music in the hereafter.

Do you want a pleasureable thing for 40 years or 4,000 years?
gotta agree with you !

subhanAllah

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DAWUD_adnan
gotta agree with you !

subhanAllah
i gotta disagree akh, there are reasons why Music is banned from an emperical point of view.

I guess that's not the point, the piont is whether its banned or not... but Music is one of those things that doesnt keep ur mind set straight. Drives u into lala land.

czgibson
06-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Greetings,
I do see reasons for abstaining from Music. It distarcts you from more important things. And personally, I don't know how people can sing and dance, whilst they knew the reality of life.
Allah is Al 'Aleem, the All-Knowing.
-Peace
That's not a worldly reason though, is it? It's a religious one.

format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
i gotta disagree akh, there are reasons why Music is banned from an emperical point of view.
Such as?

Peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Perhaps. It depends on which way you look at it.

Malaikah
By the way, IsaAbdullah, Lisa Simpson would blatantly never give up music! She's a keen sax player, remember?
Perhaps- but thats Lisa the non-muslim. If she were to discover Islam, she might find that it is the religion of Truth and accept that god has forbidden it, which is what having faith is about.

lolwatever

Peace
it twists your emotions, emotional overdose, drives you into hyper reality that doesnt exist.. all that srota thing

one thing leads to another, if you're a techno/RnB sorta person, it's rare to find someone who'd live on 20 second music loops without moving onto your eminem and 50 cent scum eventually.

as if an athiest would care i guess.

czgibson
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Greetings,
it twists your emotions, emotional overdose, drives you into hyper reality that doesnt exist.. all that srota thing
So do movies. Are they banned too?

as if an athiest would care i guess.
Am I a lesser life form or something? :rollseyes

Peace

DAWUD_adnan
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Muhammad sallAllahu aleyhi wa salam said'' replace doubtfullness with what you have a certainty of '' or something like that.... any way just listen to quran instead of music basically

subhanAllah

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Am I a lesser life form or something?:rollseyes
No need to feel that way. But I think he means you do not have Iman, so you wouldn't really relate to what we are trying to say.
I think........

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Greetings,

So do movies. Are they banned too?
you answer for yourself.. music is banned, does the movie you refer to contain music.. if yes.. then..?

Am I a lesser life form or something? :rollseyes

Peace
It's not like you've got anything to fear.. assuming you're rational, what difference would it make to you if you could make pocket money from selling crack cocaine even tho it's illegal? likewise who caers if music makes ur emotions go wild or not..

Yeh i know you're going to say you're a very moral person with moral code, but since your rational, it's irrational for someoen who doesn't believe in the hereafter or some eventual judgement to stick to any moral code if it's not in their personal interest...

DAWUD_adnan
06-25-2006, 12:59 PM
hey cheeese i didnt know you where that deep!
[BANANA]GO BANANNANANANANANANA[/BANANA]
subhanAllah

Fishman
06-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the replies people! I don't think that my parents will ever understand why music isn't allowed though, unless they become Muslims, which isn't likely.

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 01:01 PM
ergh lol i'm not cheese!!!! ok back to the topic i hope its sorted inshalah?

czgibson
06-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Greetings,
you answer for yourself.. music is banned, does the movie you refer to contain music.. if yes.. then..?
Not all movies contain music, but they do all manipulate your emotions to some degree. They also present you with an alternate reality, or at the very least a variation of the reality we know. By your reasoning I would have thought that all movies would be banned, whether they contained music or not.

It's not like you've got anything to fear.. assuming you're rational, what difference would it make to you if you could make pocket money from selling crack cocaine even tho it's illegal? likewise who caers if music makes ur emotions go wild or not..

Yeh i know you're going to say you're a very moral person with moral code, but since your rational, it's irrational for someoen who doesn't believe in the hereafter or some eventual judgement to stick to any moral code if it's not in their personal interest...
Ah, the old "atheists have no reason to be moral" argument. Is fear of hellfire really the only thing preventing you from going out and murdering people?

Peace

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies people! I don't think that my parents will ever understand why music isn't allowed though, unless they become Muslims, which isn't likely.
bro be optimistic :) no one ever could iamgine that Umar Ibn Khattab the greatest enemy and torturer fo Muslims would one day become a Muslim and the Khalifah!

al the best bro, ull be fine, our duas are with you :)

take care mate
salamz

DAWUD_adnan
06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
ow sorry, it justthat you this cheese signature and it confuses me all the time

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
If they aren't Muslim, then Music is the last of their worries. I think you should concentrate on more important things, like tawheed.
W'salaam

Umar001
06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
If they aren't Muslim, then Music is the last of their worries. I think you should concentrate on more important things, like tawheed.
W'salaam
Thats what I been saying for last, i dont know how many minutes.

I even tried putting it in a nice imaginative way.

Not all movies contain music, but they do all manipulate your emotions to some degree. They also present you with an alternate reality, or at the very least a variation of the reality we know. By your reasoning I would have thought that all movies would be banned, whether they contained music or not.
Hmm I agree, if we were to use such logic it would mean things like going supermarkets would be banned soon.

Because they are now kinda starting to use methods of manupilation, like putting items in certain parts of the supermarket, so you have to walk through certain isle to get to them, and when u do u have impulses to buy other items.

So that would be a waste of time and it would manipulate how you feel with regards to purchasing stuff.

Interesting looks like its online shoppin for me. lol.

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 08:12 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

Greetings,

Peace
Dun worry forgiven, im sorry too. And no it doesn't seem harsh, don't be silly!

Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Whao sis tatasmiya...

mashallah good info.
Barak Allah Feek, AsalamuAlaykum baby bro :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Sohrab
Dear Sis,

I really appreciate your concern and you are trying to help bro Fishman, like us all. I agree with you that to start off for a new muslim isn't easy and needs a lot of help with queries regarding Halal and Haram. I also agree that most of the things in Islam are very congruent with Modern Science. For satisfaction of heart it's all fine. What I won't endorse is something like "i left music because it has following disadvantages" and "i pray because it gives me good excercise and i fast because is good for my health". "i keep a beard because it has these advantages" etc.

Please i'm not condemning anyone's effort to help new muslims. I'm very sure you all are doing much better than i am.

I'd end on this ayah from sura baqara:

The Messenger (Muhammad ) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allâh, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)."

Jazakellaha

AsalamAlaykum bro, jazakhala for the hadith, yes you are right brother, i guess the best we can do is make dua for brother Fishman.

WalaykumSalaam All.

Umar001
06-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Baby bro? escuse me im older than you!

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Your only 19...don't complain..ovawise i'll start calling you grandad :D

lolwatever
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Greetings,

woops sorry i just got back now
umm yeh you're right.. most of them probably would be banned because of their content. It's not the movie or play that's illegal in principle, it's what's been projected or portrayed.
Film is a great way to teach people stuff or to even entertain, just like the way nasheeds (Islamicly ok songs) are.. Just like the way novels are ok so long as their content isn't haram.

Music is different, because the underlying effect is the same, whether its 'spiritual music' or non spiritual, it twists your emotions and makes you devoid of reality without really learning much (infact the tendency is that you'll digress instead of progress).

Ah, the old "atheists have no reason to be moral" argument. Is fear of hellfire really the only thing preventing you from going out and murdering people?

Peace
i didn't say 'athiests have no reason to be moral', you would have a reason (and it would be rational too) if the moral was in your personal interest (e.g. not taking drugs because it might damage your health), but otherwise, i pesronally don't see why an athiest should bother about things that would benefit him personally on a worldly scale... assuming the athiest is rational.

i didnt say hell was the only reason either, it's just that the whole notion of being brought to absolute justice doesn't exist. Budhists don't believe in hell, but they're idea of navana should be enough to keep them on the lookout for their actions... (im not making a judgement on them, im just saying how hell doesnt have to be in the equation). In the case of Muslims, Jannah alone is a great incentive to avoid bad and please Allah, Hell just makes it a greater incentive to run away from disobeying Allah. And as the hadith goes, believers are classified into categories, some of them behave like business people (they obey Allah because of the incentives), and others worship Allah because they look beyond Jannah and Hell, they actually love Allah SWT because of the wisdom in his commandments.

An athiest can't seem to master the obvious, the existance of God. let alone obey Allah's commands..

lol don't take it like im just taking a go at you.. you've got the blessings of economic theory behind you. we measure cost and benefit with the hereafter in mind, you don't, so obviously none of this should matter to you. And incase you are one of those rational athiests, don't take that to mean being a rational athiest is a good thing, not according to Islam atleast.

Umar001
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Your only 19...don't complain..ovawise i'll start calling you grandad :D

off topic someone give her a negative mark thing!

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
:rollseyes he started it.. :( mean people!

s_123_v
06-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Why do you lot put a question mark where Allah has put a full stop.

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 08:59 PM
eh? where sis, quote :)

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 01:25 AM
eh? where sis, quote :)
Abu Maalik Ash'ari (radhiyallahu anhu) says that he heard Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) say: "Most certainly, there will be in my Ummah people who will make lawful fornication, silk, liquor and musical instruments." (Bukhaari)

salamz

Abdul-Raouf
06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
I think music invokes celebration sometimes???...... and its kinda drug......When u here a good music ur body starts dancing some time......?

When a sura or quote from quran...... added with music and released as a Islamic Album....... Most people here those things they forget to think about the verses but the tunes remain in their mind.

The Tunes will not help in anyway....... So no need of music ..... according to my opinion.

Abdul-Raouf
06-26-2006, 02:15 AM
im i correct????????

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 02:20 AM
you got a point :)

Daffodil
06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Asalamulaikum Bro fishman.

Instead of telling ur parents the wisdoms behind why music is haram/prohibited, tell them its because Allah swt and his messanger Muhammed saw sed so.

Remember...for the first 10 years the prophet saw stressed upon tawheed/oneness of Allah swt...it was only after then that the rules n regulations came about. In order for ur parents to understand and also a big oportunity for giving them dawah is to tell them because Allah swt ses so.

If u always try to giv them reasons as to why god prohibits certain things, theyll always want reasons. And for somethings we dnt have any wisdoms as to why Allah swt prohibits certain things as only Allah swt knows.

Just tell them Allah swt and the prophet forbade it and thats gud enough for me.

Asalamulaikum.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Yes sis, subhanAllah that's right. And Ai'sha (RA) once said that if the ayat that revealed that zinnah and alcohol were prohibbited were revealed at the first, then the companions would have refused. SubhanAllah. That is because at first their hearts were not attached to the aakhirah, and that is why the first ayat revealed were about jannah and jahannam. I agree with Daffodil. You should tell your parents about the beauty of Islam, and get them to believe in the existence in Allah and the Prophethood of the Rasul (SAW) before you give them the rules and regulations of Islam.
W'salaam

zash2
06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
diz may b cuminn off the subject but i wud lyk 2 ask.. if for xample.. der woz a family gatherin.. dat u wer invited 2.. or lyk a wedin.. n music woz bein playd.. is it posible 2 stil go for the reason of ur family n not da intention of the music..?

------
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM

Th only thing i'm sayin in this topic is that if u follow the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) then u not gna lisn to music full stp as he said music isnt allowed - plenty of proofs have been given before from the qur'an and hadiths and if u turn away from that then....(complete the sentence urself)

------
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
der woz a family gatherin.. dat u wer invited 2.. or lyk a wedin.. n music woz bein playd.. is it posible 2 stil go for the reason of ur family n not da intention of the music..?

A very good question. yes, u r allowed to go if the family will break off ties with you as long as you dont take pleasure in lisnin 2 th music....

**edited** - this is one of the opinions

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah

Th only thing i'm sayin in this topic is that if u follow the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) then u not gna lisn to music full stp as he said music isnt allowed - plenty of proofs have been given before from the qur'an and hadiths and if u turn away from that then....(complete the sentence urself)

:salamext:

Im not 100% sure but i heard sumwhere that if you 100% and sincerely believe that what your doing is right by following a certain scholars fiqh then due to your sincerity in Taqlid (following Allah through a scholars Understanding) you will be forgiven.

But then the haditH:

SAHIH BUKHARI
Volume 3, Book 34, Number 267:
Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

The Prophet said "Both legal and illegal things are obvious, and in between them are (suspicious) doubtful matters. So who-ever forsakes those doubtful things lest he may commit a sin, will definitely avoid what is clearly illegal; and who-ever indulges in these (suspicious) doubtful things bravely, is likely to commit what is clearly illegal. Sins are Allah's Hima (i.e. private pasture) and whoever pastures (his sheep) near it, is likely to get in it at any moment."

So avoid smoking, avoid listening to music, avoid all that is doubtful!!! INSHAALLAH and take the scholar who's opinion has the most proof if u must and i've seen more proof against music then for music!

:wasalamex

lolwatever
06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

Im not 100% sure but i heard sumwhere that if you 100% and sincerely believe that what your doing is right by following a certain scholars fiqh then due to your sincerity in Taqlid (following Allah through a scholars Understanding) you will be forgiven.

But then the haditH:

SAHIH BUKHARI
Volume 3, Book 34, Number 267:
Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

The Prophet said "Both legal and illegal things are obvious, and in between them are (suspicious) doubtful matters. So who-ever forsakes those doubtful things lest he may commit a sin, will definitely avoid what is clearly illegal; and who-ever indulges in these (suspicious) doubtful things bravely, is likely to commit what is clearly illegal. Sins are Allah's Hima (i.e. private pasture) and whoever pastures (his sheep) near it, is likely to get in it at any moment."

So avoid smoking, avoid listening to music, avoid all that is doubtful!!! INSHAALLAH and take the scholar who's opinion has the most proof if u must and i've seen more proof against music then for music!

salams bro abdul, yeh i agree with ya mate, just one thing, why is Music doubtful? isn't the hadith that i quoted from bukhari as clear as any hadith can get :rollseyes

salamz

ps: new nasheed album coming out in a few months inshalah, i got to hear a sneak preview, rips sami yusuf by miles mashalah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
salams bro abdul, yeh i agree with ya mate, just one thing, why is Music doubtful? isn't the hadith that i quoted from bukhari as clear as any hadith can get :rollseyes

salamz

ps: new nasheed album coming out in a few months inshalah, i got to hear a sneak preview, rips sami yusuf by miles mashalah

bro its clear to me, but the scholars put people in doubt, therefore theres a "difference of opinion" and like i mentioned, anyone sincere in there Taqlid might just be forgiven but i completely hundred percent think music is wrong, thats why i dont listen to it anymore :D

BTW WHATS THIS NASHEED??? lol

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
YEAH.... what nasheed?:?
(p.s in my opinion I wouldn't go to that meeting, and I would explain my religious opinion to my family members, and inshaAllah they would understand... if not......tough)
W'salaam

natasha
06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah

A very good question. yes, u r allowed to go if the family will break off ties with you as long as you dont take pleasure in lisnin 2 th music....

**edited** - this is one of the opinions
salaam sis..
i always used to think tht aswell.. what u just answerd the question abut the wedding .. but i have asked some people they say u are allowed to go because it all from niyah (intention) but what wud u chose allahs words or the family words.. cause what some people are saying that u wudnt care abut anyone in this world except allah cause the poeple wunt take u anywhre except allah wud if u work hard in tis world for him .. amd i right or not.??.. and wud u pls give some proofs sis that says u are allowed for the sake of ur family??..

------
06-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Do u people not understand? Music is HARAAM - It says in Hadith and Qur'an.

And any1 hu opposes this is ignorant of the truth!!!! :heated:

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
From my knowledge, a bad deed with a good intention remains a bad deed, and shall not be accepted?

Umar001
06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I really dont get it, people are saying scholars are in difference of opinion.

then other people are saying, musicis haram full stop and anyone who differes is ignorant of the truth.

Interseting to see this. In the sense, does this mean people on here are calling some scholars ignorant?

And it is sad that is has got to this stage, althought the poster actually did state he wasnt discussing whether it was allowed or not just wanted to know why.

Jee, plus, I have posted before, with regards to that hadeeth, I cant remember anyone replying to my post.

Muhammad
06-27-2006, 11:49 AM

Since we have moved away from the original topic at hand, the thread can be closed. For more details about the Islamic prohibition on Music, please see the numerous other threads on the issue.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.