/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the origin of the Moon crescent?

Vishnu
06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I see that moon crescent everywhere associated with Islam. What exactly is the thing... what are its origins?

Was it like drawn by Muhammad or something?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
06-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey.

You can check this link out for more info.

Crescent Moon: Symbol of Islam?
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...bol-islam.html

Peace.

Vishnu
06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Why would the countries than put the symbol of a pagan god on there flags?

Panatella
06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Some say it is a carry over from pagan times when in Arabia they worshipped the moon god Hubal. The crescent symbol was placed upon the roof of the Kaba, and is a practice carried over into today. The symbol was adopted into islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
06-28-2006, 08:06 PM
All pagan idols were removed from the Kabah by Prophet Muhammad:arabic5:
The cresent came into use by Muslims from the Ottomans.

Fishman
06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
:sl:
I think it was the insignia of the Ottoman Empire.
:w:

ManchesterFolk
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I always thought that the moon was the symbol of the pagan goddess of the moon "Al-illah" commonly worshiped by tribes in Northern Arabia.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
Some say it is a carry over from pagan times when in Arabia they worshipped the moon god Hubal. The crescent symbol was placed upon the roof of the Kaba, and is a practice carried over into today. The symbol was adopted into islam.
This kind of nonsense is conclusively debunked here:
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...h/moongod.html
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...lah/hubal.html
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...lah/rhmnn.html

Regards

snakelegs
06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
what is the significance of the colour green?

Chuck
06-29-2006, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
From religious point of view, non. I don't know the exact history on how the green started to be used by Muslims, but making religious symbols of anything (color, crescent, star, etc) is against Islamic monotheism.

syilla
06-29-2006, 05:29 AM
i thought it is good for the eye...

north_malaysian
06-29-2006, 05:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
Prophet Muhammad preferred green and white isnt it? Can some body give hadiths on this matter.

snakelegs
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
From religious point of view, non. I don't know the exact history on how the green started to be used by Muslims, but making religious symbols of anything (color, crescent, star, etc) is against Islamic monotheism.
why? wouldn't it be simply like a logo? how would it involve shirk?

north_malaysian
06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker666
good question

i always wondered that though use of symbols id prohibited in islam...why people use the symbols of crescent and green colour to depict islamic religion...
Maybe someone can elaborate on how those symbols became symbols of Islam?

In Malaysia, nearly all mosques have malaysian flag and green flag with white crescent and star in front of the mosques

north_malaysian
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
According to wikipedia, the Ottoman started it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_and_crescent

For flags using it as symbols

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery...with_crescents

snakelegs
06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
thanks for links.
i'm just starting to discover the wonderful world of wikipedia!

Chuck
06-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Hello sister/brother,

format_quote Originally Posted by SL
why? wouldn't it be simply like a logo?
It is ok to use logo and symbols but not make it anything religious.

how would it involve shirk?
I'm not good at explaining, perhaps some examples may help.
eg.1: In the sub-continent I've come across some people making supplications with prayer beads in their hands. They say prayer beads helps their supplication to be heard by Allah. Allah hears them whether they have prayer beads in their hand or not, but they have invented a false practice something that goes against the guidelines in Quran and sunnah. Not a good example of making symbols but I think it comes close.

eg.2: Another sub-continent example, I've seen people praying in front of Hand of Fatima (see). They believe it has special powers, wards of evil, helps in their supplication to Allah. Fatima is the daughter of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) so probably started by revere of Fatima or probably adopted from Jewish practice.

eg.3: At one place I saw a whole room painted in green, the owner of the room told me, this room has special baraka since the room is green. More angels visit a green room he said.

I think I don't have to explain where I'm going with this, but making religious symbols are disliked in Islam because they have the potential to become intermediaries (which is in a way setting up partners with Allah), and in extreme cases they can turn into objects of worship.

imrano
07-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Issalm isn't caracterized by symbols. When did the association of isslam with moon and star begin? It was used at the time of the messenger of Allah? I also want a opinion about islamic countries using the moon and star in their flags.

afriend
07-15-2006, 12:05 PM
As far as I know, it's just asian countries using that......

I've never seen it at the Harams ever!

أحمد
07-15-2006, 01:05 PM

There are many theories behind where it began, but it is true that it wasn't used by The Prophet (saw) or his companions.

M H Kahn
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imrano
Issalm isn't caracterized by symbols. When did the association of isslam with moon and star begin? It was used at the time of the messenger of Allah? I also want a opinion about islamic countries using the moon and star in their flags.
The moon and stars are among the various wonderful creations of Allah. Pondering on Allah's creation is a form of worship of Allah. Islam is the law for the humans and the jiins how to live in this world. The laws are derived from the Quran, the words of Allah communicated to his final messenger, Mohammed (pbuh); and Sunnah, the words and deeds and approvals of Mohammed (pbuh) with regard to various actions. But the Quran and the Sunnah can never contradict; when any Sunnah is found to be contradicting any Quranic ordainment, you have to reject that contradicting Sunnah as a fake Sunnah and stick to the Quran. This is Islam which has no symbol like stars or the moon.

Pakistan uses the moon and a star as symbols in their national flag. I don't think this is done as a symbols of Islam.

Fishman
07-15-2006, 01:42 PM
The moon and star were Ottoman insignia, taken from pagan traditions in Constantinople.

M H Kahn
07-15-2006, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
As far as I know, it's just asian countries using that......
I've never seen it at the Harams ever!
Maybe you are right; because Asian Islam in most part is an innovated cult, different from the one and only Islam brought by Muhammed (pbuh). Instead of worshipping Allah alone as taught by the prophet through the Quran and his Sunnah, they prefer to worship the prophet himself, too, in an urge to manifest their love for him. They believe that Muhammed (pbuh) will be the leader of the hereafter and he will select who will go to the paradise, and then recommend them to Allah for paradise and Allah will comply him.

But Muhammed (pbuh) said:"Do not extol me as the Christians extolled the son of Maryam (AS); I am no more than a slave (of Allah) and so (instead), say: Allah's Slave and His Messenger."
[Narrated by Al-Bukhaaree]

Snowflake
07-16-2006, 07:36 AM

Q: Hello and thank you for answering my question! While being not a Muslim, I find the Qur’an a very interesting work. I’m currently doing some research concerning various religious symbols and I hope that you could help me. I don’t know who else to ask. The symbol for Islam is the crescent moon and star, but, I can find no mention as to its symbolism and how it originated. I have asked a few of my Muslim friends and they didn’t know. Any info you could give me and any passages from the Qur’an concerning its symbolism/origin would be greatly appreciated and help with my continuing research. Thank you.

A: In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

First of all, we’d like to voice our appreciation for the confidence you repose in us, and we hope our efforts come up to your expectation, and pray to Almighty Allah to help you in your study.

As for the issue you raised, we’d like to state that “the crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years. Information on the origins of the symbol are difficult to ascertain, but most sources agree that these ancient celestial symbols were in use by the peoples of Central Asia and Siberia in their worship of sun, moon, and sky gods. There are also reports that the crescent moon and star were used to represent the Carthaginian goddess Tanit or the Greek goddess Diana.

The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn’t until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city’s existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Othman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five daily prayers, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and it is also not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today.

For hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people’s minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically adopted no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from:
http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa060401b.htm

Hope that helps

M H Kahn
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes ! The moon and stars are not symbols of Islam. But most Muslims like to use these symbols in their religious festivals as a custom.

imrano
07-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I found this in a document:

http://eetd.LBL.gov/Controls - 2 - DRAFT
The Crescent Moon —the “Hilãl”2
One question which arises in considering a moon as the symbol for sleep is whether it has any associations
which would call its suitability into question. The principal one we have considered is the association with Islam —
whether people of Islamic faith would be offended. In the United States (and presumably the rest of the
industrialized west), the association does not cause any significant concern, which is demonstrated by the use of the
moon on many computer products, in hardware and software. The primary question then is how it is seen from
countries where Islam is dominant.
The “hilãl” is the “crescent moon” or new moon symbol, often shown with one or more stars. It is
important as many events in the Islamic calendar are determined by the first sighting of the crescent moon as it
begins to increase in size. The single star is presumably Venus, the “morning star”. The hilãl’s association with
Islam is not original, but has grown over the last few centuries.
The “Encyclopaedia of Islam”3 reviews historical use of the hilãl in art/décor, flags, and buildings, all in
considerable detail. The first reported use of the crescent moon is on coins in the year 695 A.D. (year 75 in the
Islamic calendar), in combination with a star. From the beginning, it was often quite stylized with the two points of
the moon nearly or actually touching each other. In addition to coins and artwork, the hilãl has been sometimes used
on top of mosques, in the way that a Christian cross is. However, the use of hilãl on mosques is not as universal as
the cross's use on churches and cathedrals, and the hilãl has also been put atop non-religious buildings as well.
The hilãl is reported to be used on military flags beginning in the 15th century. Modern nations began
using it on national flags beginning in the early 1800s with the Ottoman Empire / Turkey, Tunisia, and Egypt. In the
1900s, other countries adopted it as part of their flags, such as Pakistan in 1947.
Modern Flags
Quite a few countries use a crescent moon on their national flag, as shown in Figure 1. Most Islamic flags
use the right-facing crescent, even though it is to symbolise the first sighting of the waxing crescent, which would be
left-facing as facing the equator in the northern hemisphere. One possibility is that the goal of having the moon face
away from the flag hoist (flag depictions by convention have the hoist on the left) was a higher priority.
Figure 1. Crescent moons on National Flags as of 2002
Algeria Azerbaijan Comoros Mauritania Maldives Malaysia
Pakistan Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Uzbekistan
Source: The CIA “World Factbook 2001” http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
For those with monochrome copies of this discussion, green is the most common color of the flag fields, with red the
second. Most of the moons are white with two yellow and two red.
2 The word “hilal” is supposed to have a long bar "-" on top of the "a", not the tilde as shown here. Advice on how to do this in
modern word processors would be appreciated.
3 Encyclopaedia of Islam, New Edition, edited by R. Lewis, V.L. Menage, Ch. Pellat, and J. Schacht., Volume III, 1971.
PIER — Sleep, the Crescent Moon, and Islam 5/20/02
Most of the flags have some moving of the points past 180 degrees, with Turkey’s (the oldest) the most
stylized. All but one have one or more stars, and all but two have five-pointed stars (this last point is significant in
Islam). Most have the points aligned vertically, and only two resemble our proposed moon — Pakistan’s, though it
has a prominent star on top of the moon, and Maldives, which has the points in a vertical line.

doodlebug
04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
assalam alaykum

This has probably been asked a million times before but does anyone know where the symbol (that thing that looks like a claw on top of each mosque) for Islam came from? Is it supposed to represent when the moon was separated?:?

Philosopher
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
No, that symbol has absolutely nothing to do with Islam. The symbol showed up after the rise of the Ottoman empire. It is a product of culture, not religion.

- Qatada -
04-30-2007, 05:38 PM
:wasalamex

The answer is no.

More info can be found here inshaa Allaah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...bol-islam.html

:salamext:

doodlebug
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
assalam alalykum

Thank you for the link. Just curious though if it has nothing to do with Islam and actually was a symbol for a moon goddess or whatever, why don't we take them all down from the top of the mosques? Isn't kind of a form of idoltry to put them up there in the first place?:?

Philosopher
04-30-2007, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
assalam alalykum

Thank you for the link. Just curious though if it has nothing to do with Islam and actually was a symbol for a moon goddess or whatever, why don't we take them all down from the top of the mosques? Isn't kind of a form of idoltry to put them up there in the first place?:?
Yes that's true. Most Muslims are uneducated.

doodlebug
05-01-2007, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Yes that's true. Most Muslims are uneducated.
Hey you're from Orlando!!! I just took my daughters to Disney for a week :D :D :D Say hi to Mickey for meeeeee!!!!!!

fbaltazar
10-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm new here and I'm trying to learn knowledge about Islam. I noticed that the crecent moon is always displayed as a symbol representing almost everything Islamic. I have read from non-muslim literatures and websites that the crecent moon originated from one of the pagan gods of the Arabs during the pre-islamic times. I don't know if it's true or not but I just want to know what is the real significance of the crecent moon in Islam.

Thanks.

shible
10-09-2007, 06:10 AM

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

First of all, we’d like to voice our appreciation for the confidence you repose in us, and we hope our efforts come up to your expectation, and pray to Almighty Allah to help you in your study.

As for the issue you raised, we’d like to state that “the crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years. Information on the origins of the symbol are difficult to ascertain, but most sources agree that these ancient celestial symbols were in use by the peoples of Central Asia and Siberia in their worship of sun, moon, and sky gods. There are also reports that the crescent moon and star were used to represent the Carthaginian goddess Tanit or the Greek goddess Diana.

The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn’t until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city’s existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Othman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five daily prayers, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and it is also not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today.

For hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people’s minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically adopted no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from:
http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa060401b.htm

The American Muslim scholar, Sheik Yusuf Estes, Director of islamtomorrow.com, and National Chaplain WAMY, adds:

“The symbol of Islam IS NOT the crescent moon and the star, but it was used by the last Islamic Dynasty, the Ottoman’s. The Ottoman Empire deemed it appropriate to use the star and crescent as their symbols, but not the symbols of Islam. I repeat, the star and the crescent moon are not a part of the religion of Islam. Because Islam is so strict on the concept of no other gods with Allah; and no images of any kind; it is a mistake to consider that Islam authorized the general use of such things. Additionally, Islam forbids the images (statues) of any kinds of humans, animals or any of Allah’s creations, so how about using a symbol for Islam?”

Courtesy
IslamOnline.net

fbaltazar
10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Thank you for you response shible.

Your response was probably the most informative and most complete one so far, until I read the quote you posted from the American Islamic scholar Sheik Yusuf Estes; "Because Islam is so strict on the concept of no other gods with Allah; and no images of any kind; it is a mistake to consider that Islam authorized the general use of such things. Additionally, Islam forbids the images (statues) of any kinds of humans, animals or any of Allah’s creations, so how about using a symbol for Islam?".

I really admired Muslims' passion in its adherents to worship just one diety but what troubles me is Muslims bowing towards the black stone in Mecca. Not only this contradict the statement above, it contradicts my understanding that the azimuth to where a person is facing during prayer has nothing to do with God. What if a Muslim in the future achieved the status of being the first astronaut in space inside a closed capsule wherein the direction towards earth is nonexistent? I believe God will still hear his prayers.
I apologize if this seems to be another topic but I just want to clarify the last paragraph of your post.

Once again, thank you for answering my question about the crecent moon. That was very informative.

shible
10-09-2007, 07:24 AM

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Dear bro, Please do check the Links provided at the end of the post for more details

In the first place, a Muslim should always respond positively to the commands of Allah and pay heed to them. He should never hesitate to respond with an emphatic YES to each and every command of Allah. Almighty Allah says: (The saying of (all true) believers when they appeal unto Allah and His messenger to judge between them is only that they say: We hear and we obey. And such are the successful.) (An-Nour 24: 51)

The legislation concerning the qiblah has many significant aspects, among which is that this command carries the significance of being amr ta`abbudi (a Divine command that requires showing submission and surrender). Its significance lies in our obedience to it i.e. showing obedience to Allah and His Messenger. Almighty Allah says: ( We appointed the qiblah which ye formerly observed only that We might know him who follows the messenger.) (Al-Baqarah 2: 143)

Another aspect is that the qiblah is a symbol of Muslim unity. In his poem, The Outpourings of the Soul, Muhammad Iqbal wrote:

Under the religion of monotheism, do people unite.

While disunited, glory you cannot gain.

Your Prophet just came to save you from that plight.

To make you one nation, so you do remain.

Your qiblah is one and the Book you recite,

Without that unity, your efforts are in vain.

The qiblah is important because it gives us a sense of unity, uniformity and discipline. If there were no qiblah, we would pray as isolated groups without being connected to one another. The qiblah gives us a focus; a common sense of purpose; a direction. Almighty Allah says: (The fools among the people will say: "What has turned them from the qiblah to which they were used?" Say: To Allah belong both East and West; He guides whom He pleases to a Way that is straight.) (Al-Baqarah 2: 142)

When we begin our prayer, we not only face the House of Allah in Makkah, but we also connect ourselves along an invisible line, forming an axis that proceeds from every point on earth, to the spiritual centre of Islam. Whether we pray alone, or as recommended, we pray in a group, we do so as a part of the great Ummah. Standing and facing the qiblah in our prayers connects us along an invisible line, to every other Muslim on the planet. We become an important link in the huge chain of worshippers who face Makkah at least 5 times each day. If we could go up into space, and look down upon the earth and see all the Muslims praying, we would see a huge flower the size of the earth, opening and closing its millions of petals. Each of those petals represents a Muslim engaged in worship. As well as this, those of us who have been blessed with the invitation from Allah to perform pilgrimage will remember that remarkable sight inside the holy Mosque. There, at prayer times, it is as if a giant flower opens and closes its petals, as Muslims prostrate as one body, in neat and orderly rows, around the Ka`bah.

So, the qiblah is not only about degrees of latitude or longitude on the compass. It is about bringing together every nation, language, race and tribe on this planet, in regular acts of worship linked to a common centre. The qiblah lies at the very heart of the great Ummah of Islam it is the navigational axis that connects every Muslim through the Ka`bah and again to every other Muslim. This is the physical expression of monotheism and unity, the belief in Allah’s oneness; Allah’s Unity. Allah is One, so His Ummah is also one, and our qiblah; our direction for worship, is one.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.netcomuk.co.uk

A question may arise, why is the Ka`bah appointed as the qiblah? The answer should be that the Ka`bah is the place of the first Muslim community; it is the abode that witnessed the early days of Islam and the footsteps of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). In addition, it is the centre of the earth and it is the place wherein the first verses of the Qur'an were received.

Jurists have commented that the Ka`bah, although seen to a certain height, reaches up to the heavens and right down to the bottom of the earth.

Furthermore, the secret in facing toward the direction of the Ka`bah is the spirit of `ibadah (worship), and contentment and serenity of the heart. Without this contentment there would exist no spirit (ruh), which is the reason we are instructed to focus our sight on the place of prostration in prayer so that we may be able to concentrate with both heart and soul.

Source

Significance of Qibla

the Black stone

shible
10-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Everyone has their own Question

We should thank Allah for letting us know more about our religion through these kind of Knowledge Sharings.

If he(Allah) wishes then who are we to ask question or limit someone from gaining knowledge

- Qatada -
10-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by fbaltazar
Thank you for you response shible.

Your response was probably the most informative and most complete one so far, until I read the quote you posted from the American Islamic scholar Sheik Yusuf Estes; "Because Islam is so strict on the concept of no other gods with Allah; and no images of any kind; it is a mistake to consider that Islam authorized the general use of such things. Additionally, Islam forbids the images (statues) of any kinds of humans, animals or any of Allah’s creations, so how about using a symbol for Islam?".

Yeah, that's one of the most obvious yet intriguing facts about Islam. We know it's God alone who created us, provides for us, and allows us to live for an appointed time, throughout this time we should obey Him and be thankful to Him, and then to Him is our return to be judged on all that we did. Then those who believed in Him, His Messengers' and did good will be rewarded for that, whereas those who disbelieved and did evil, remaining ungrateful will be punished for their own wrongdoing. The message is so simple.

I really admired Muslims' passion in its adherents to worship just one diety but what troubles me is Muslims bowing towards the black stone in Mecca. Not only this contradict the statement above, it contradicts my understanding that the azimuth to where a person is facing during prayer has nothing to do with God.

The basic understanding for this is that Prophet Abraham built the Ka'aba with his son Ishmael in order for it to be a house of worship, and this is it's main aim. Because He has blessed this place, many of the believers and followers of Prophet Abraham's religion go there - to unite, through meeting at one location from different parts of the world, no matter what race or colour you belong to. It also unites them upon faith.

One of the reasons why we pray in the same direction is to further unify the muslims for that purpose. If we did not have a specific direction to pray in, the believers would argue, fight, each party claiming to say that they are correct. And since the prayer is one of the most important pillars of our faith, we are ordered to pray in congregation (in unification.) Therefore to say that we can pray in any direction singularly breaks that concept of unity, and causes more splits, and a greater break up of the believers. As the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, the believers are like one body - so we should unite upon that good and faith together. Because the prayer is part of faith, we are given clear explanations so we do not differ on that. Rather we unite, which means there is a greater good for all those who have faith.

What if a Muslim in the future achieved the status of being the first astronaut in space inside a closed capsule wherein the direction towards earth is nonexistent? I believe God will still hear his prayers.

And this is true, that's why the people of knowledge have stated that if one is traveling i.e. in the desert and the person has tried his/her best to find out which direction the Ka'aba is in, yet they were unable to find out which was the correct direction. They can pray in the direction they feel is correct, and they should not give up their prayer simply because they are unsure.

I just want to add in another point, that if one was to argue that we take the Ka'aba as a deity, then one would have to have utmost respect for that deity. Either because that group claims it is 'god incarnate', or that it has some pious persons soul within it etc. This would then mean that they would forbid someone from for example, stand on the shrine, or seek blessings from it etc. Yet Islamically, it is not correct to seek blessings from the Ka'aba, nor is it forbidden to stand on it. I.e. there is a situation during the time of the Messenger of Allah/God, where his companion (a black slave - Bilal ibn Rabah [may Allah be pleased with him] who stood on the Ka'aba and made the call for prayer [adhaan.])

Now if someone was to claim that the Ka'aba is a deity to be worshipped, would someone with a sane mind call their people to stand on that deity? No they wouldn't. Yet this is exactly what happened in the presence of the Messenger of God, Muhammad (peace be upon him) - yet he did not forbid it, rather this example proves that it is acceptable, and it also proves that it is not a deity, it is not a god. Rather, it is a place of worship, and a direction for the believers to pray in, which causes a great deal of unity, no matter who is standing next to you, whether it is a blue eyed blonde, and a black, or a asian and a half-cast etc.

I apologize if this seems to be another topic but I just want to clarify the last paragraph of your post.

Once again, thank you for answering my question about the crecent moon. That was very informative.

Thankyou for your patience, and we will pray for you. :) May God guide you and us all to what is loved by Him. ameen.

Peace!

Muhammad
10-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Threads merged.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.