/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'tikaf

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
:salamext:

I'tikaf

I'tikaf literally means to stay in a place. Techinically it signifies total seclusion from worldly duties and staying in a mosque for a certain number of days, specially in the last ten days of Ramadan for a full-time divine service!

Rasullulah saws use to observe itikaf for 10 days during Radaman and in the year which he died he observed it for the last 20 days of Ramadan. Hence Itikaf is recommended.
Aisha Reported that the Messenger of Allah used to seclude himself for the last ten nights of Ramadan till Allah took away his life. Afterwards his wives secluded themselves after him.
-Agreed by Bukhari and Muslim
In regards to the 20 nights:
Abu Hurairah reported that the Quran was presented to the Prophet once every year, It was twice presented to him in the year in which he died ; He use to seclude himself every year for ten nights while he secluded himself for 20 nights in the year in which he died-Bukhari
HOWEVER the reason for this was:
Anas reported that the Apostle of Allah used to seclude himself in the last ten nights of Ramadan and he did not isolate himself for one year. When the following year came to pass he isolated himself for 20 nights.-Tirmizi - Abu Dawud - Ibn Majah

During the time of Itikaaf one is not allowed to do any worldly duties besides what is totally necessary such as calls of nature, or taking a bath. You are however allowed to take your food/drink within the mosque and of course you must keep yourself groomed and clean.
Aisha reported: When the Apostle of Allah secluded himself, he extended his head towards me while hw as in the mosque and then I combed it, and he used not to enter the house except for human needs.
-Bukhari

The time of itikaf should beging from after the Fajr prayer or after the maghrib prayer.
Aisha reported that when the Apostle of Allah intended to seclude himself, he said the fajr prayer and then he entered in his place of seclusion.
- Abu Dawud - Ibn Majah

According to all four madhabs itikaf should begin at maghrib or sun-set prayer and end after maghrib prayer.

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khayal
06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
:w:

Brother,Chk this out....:sister:

http://www.islamicboard.com/ramadan-...t-ramadan.html

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2006, 11:05 PM

oh :hiding: sry ukhti! Consider mine to be a summary of yours inshaAllah.

shudnt_have
06-30-2006, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

The time of itikaf should beging from after the Fajr prayer or after the maghrib prayer.

According to all four madhabs itikaf should begin at maghrib or sun-set prayer and end after maghrib prayer.
[/LEFT][/B]

:sl:
:? Begin at magrib time? Does that mean the I'tikaf can be performed at either time....right?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
06-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Jazakallah Khairun Akhee this information will definitely come in use Insha'Allah!

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shudnt_have
:sl:
:? Begin at magrib time? Does that mean the I'tikaf can be performed at either time....right?

yep :)

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 09:05 AM
cool. jazakz :)

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 09:06 AM

wa iyyak.

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 09:07 AM
WHAT? :-\

AsalamuAlaykum Abd-Majio :)

------
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
He means ur welcome lol

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM

jazakz - abbreviation of "May Allah reward you"

Wa iyyak - "And You"

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
lol Aalimah ;)

Thanks for clarification Majio

------
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Majio ;D

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
*rolls eyeballs* @ Allimarr! :p

urm... so whose willing to seclude demselves for 10-20 nights eh?

Isaac
06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
i have a question and hoepfully someone could help answer. I was out i ramadhan in medina and alhamdulliah stayed in itikaaf, but i was speaking to a few frind of mines who are salafi inclined and they/he said that itiqaaf can only be done in one of the two holy mosques, mecca and medina, i dont knwo if he said this and it came out wrong or it was just a lack of underatnding. does anybody know anything about this?

------
06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Itikaaf can be done in any part of the world.

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Really i thought it could be done anywhere as in any mosque

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
i have a question and hoepfully someone could help answer. I was out i ramadhan in medina and alhamdulliah stayed in itikaaf, but i was speaking to a few frind of mines who are salafi inclined and they/he said that itiqaaf can only be done in one of the two holy mosques, mecca and medina, i dont knwo if he said this and it came out wrong or it was just a lack of underatnding. does anybody know anything about this?
According to the madhabs any masjid will do inshaAllah. My great grandparents where people of extreme piety who stuck to the sunnah in everyway i can think of, and they dun it in the seclusion of there homes. They had reasons im sure and no, they dont accept Bid'a!

------
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
That means u cant do it at home? :omg:

What bout woman?

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I thought u could do it in your homes, somewhere quiet and clean etc

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
That means u cant do it at home? :omg:

What bout woman?
"itikaf - to isolate yourself from people and dunya".

Jus isolate yourself inshaAllah and worship, that will b ur itikaaf, i heard of people doin it in the jungle before!

Pk_#2
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah jazakhala that's what i thought, but i guess its better in the mosque, you could fully concentrate no pictures or nuthin around you

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
Yeah jazakhala that's what i thought, but i guess its better in the mosque, you could fully concentrate no pictures or nuthin around you

lol sis, theres no picture in my house neway, alredy got that dealt wiv. Think about it, if u need to change ur living environment to suit itikaaf, duznt that mean theres sumthin wrong there already :eek:

------
06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Alhamdulillah no pics in my house :D

06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Hmm maybe it would be easier in the mosque coz there are no distractions....

IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah, mosque which provides facilities for sisters-peace and quiet insha allah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 03:10 PM
no i completely agree! Its BEST done in the masjid. But like i sed b4, the essence of itikaaf is "seclusion".

I just know a lot of extremely pious elders who hav performed itikaaf in there homes... its accepted if you follow the rules of itikaaf... some1 correct me!!!

Mawaddah
06-30-2006, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
no i completely agree! Its BEST done in the masjid. But like i sed b4, the essence of itikaaf is "seclusion".

I just know a lot of extremely pious elders who hav performed itikaaf in there homes... its accepted if you follow the rules of itikaaf... some1 correct me!!!

But Brother do you have a daleel for this? I personally do not know of any daleels of I'tikaaf in the home or any place else in the Masjid.
I recall one event in Yemen where I was studying, a sister attempted to do I'tikaaf in the sisters Library, but then the Shiekhah told her that no she cannot do that and it must be only done in the masjid.
And remember the hadeeth which tells us about the Prophets wives? IT stated that after Rasululllah died, his wives continued doing I'tikaaf in the Masjid
If I'tikaaf could be at home.....dont you think they would have done it at home?

Wallahu A'lam

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-30-2006, 03:21 PM
JazakAllah khayr, very beneficial. JazakAllah khayr to Mawaddah too. I love your posts sis.
W'salaam

- Qatada -
06-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Question :

Can a woman observe itikaf at home , what if she has to cook.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

I’tikaaf is only valid if done in the mosque, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

Men and women are equal in this regard.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni:

A woman has the right to observe i‘tikaaf in any mosque, and that is not subject to the condition that it be a mosque where prayers are performed in congregation, because that is not obligatory upon her. This was the view of al-Shaafa’i.

She does not have the right to observe i'tikaaf in her house, because Allaah says “while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”, and because the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked him for permission to observe i’tikaaf in the mosque, and he gave them permission.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (6/480):

It is not correct for a man or a woman to observe i'tikaaf anywhere except in the mosque.

This is the view favoured by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/513

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln...QR=37911&dgn=4

Mawaddah
06-30-2006, 03:27 PM
^ Jakallah Khair for the article Brother, very beneficial alhamdulillah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-30-2006, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Question :

Can a woman observe itikaf at home , what if she has to cook.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

I’tikaaf is only valid if done in the mosque, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

Men and women are equal in this regard.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni:

A woman has the right to observe i‘tikaaf in any mosque, and that is not subject to the condition that it be a mosque where prayers are performed in congregation, because that is not obligatory upon her. This was the view of al-Shaafa’i.

She does not have the right to observe i'tikaaf in her house, because Allaah says “while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”, and because the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked him for permission to observe i’tikaaf in the mosque, and he gave them permission.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (6/480):

It is not correct for a man or a woman to observe i'tikaaf anywhere except in the mosque.

This is the view favoured by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/513

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln...QR=37911&dgn=4

SUBHANALLAH!

ya Allah... :(!!! Astagfirullah!

JazakAllah khair brother, i learned something extremely important!

Wa BarakAllah feek!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.