/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what is Enteric(typhoid )fever?

salimswati
06-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Typhoid fever OR Enteric Fever(In pashto DA koolmoo taaba Or Miadee Taaba:
Typhoid fever (or enteric fever) is an illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi Common worldwide, it is transmitted by ingestion of food or water contaminated with feces from an infected person. The bacteria then multiply in the blood stream of the infected person and are absorbed into the digestive tract and eliminated with the waste.Typhoid fever is very common in pakistan ,especially in swat Malakand Division.If you will see any women with a little bit generalized weakness and body aches,she will tell you that I have MIADEE TAABA
Symptoms
After infection, symptoms include:
a high fever from 39 °C to 40 °C (103 °F to 104 °F) that rises slowly
chills
bradycardia (slow heart rate)
weakness
diarrhea
headaches
myalgia (muscle pain), not to be confused with the more severe muscle pain in Dengue fever, known as "Breakbone fever."
lack of appetite
constipation
stomach pains
in some cases, a rash of flat, rose-colored spots called "rose spots
extreme symptoms such as intestinal perforation or hemorrhage delusions and confusion are also possible.
Diagnosis
Diagnosis is made by blood or stool cultures and with the Widal test (demonstration of salmonella antibodies against antigens and H-flagellar .In epidemics and less wealthy countries, after excluding malaria ,dysentery or pneumonia ,a therapeutic trial with chloramphenicol is generally undertaken while awaiting the results of Widal test and blood cultures.

Treatment
Typhoid fever can be fatal. Antibiotics ,such as ampicillin ,chloramphenicol ,trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole ,and ciprofloxacin are commonly used to treat typhoid fever in developed countries. Prompt treatment of the disease with antibiotics reduces the case-fatality rate to approximately 1%. Usage of Ofloxacin along with Lactobacillus acidophilus is also recommended.
When untreated, typhoid fever persists for three weeks to a month. Death occurs in between 10% and 30% of untreated cases. Vaccines for typhoid fever are available and are advised for persons traveling in regions where the disease is common (especially Asia and Latin America
Transmission
While flying insects feeding on feces may occasionally transfer the bacteria to food being prepared for consumption, the disease is most commonly transmitted through poor hygiene habits and public sanitation conditions. Public education campaigns encouraging people to wash their hands after toileting and before handling food are an important component in controlling spread of the disease.
A person may become an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever, suffering no symptoms, but capable of infecting others. According to the Centers for Disease Control approximately 5% of people who contract typhoid continue to carry the disease after they recover.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm-sulaim
07-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Woah...so thats what happened!!

I had typhoid...it wasn't nice but i'm not comlaining!!

Thanks!!

Malaikah
07-19-2006, 05:14 AM
:sl:

freaky, my dad had that once and my cousin when he was young, alhamdulilah it was a happy ending though

umm-sulaim
07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
lol it is freaky....my freind from indonesia told me not to take normal mdecine so i tried herbal, i used to drink the water from the guava leaves, it takes away all the fever subhanAllah! thats amazing to me till today......

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I had typhoid before too and it isn't pretty :(
But Alhamdulillah i'm over it now

umm_sulaim alwaysssssss go for herbal medicines! they're a million times better than all these pills and stuff! and whats better is herbal medicines hardly ever leave side effects Masha'allah.

umm-sulaim
07-19-2006, 03:41 PM
you're so right ukhtee........i hate man made medecine i avoid it as much as possible, remember umm haazim mawaddah..?
well she got typhoid but much worse than me and them guava leaves worked a treat for her too......
theres this funny poem about medeicne sheikh yahya used to say i love it so much, i'd say it here only i think i'd be going off topic and stuff,
didn't know you had typhoid too....oh DJ ...lol!! alhamdulillaaah!

amirah_87
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

Yeah i remember those guava leaves ....alota ppl swore, that it worked...but we also have to have the niyyah that Allahu subhaanahuu wa ta3aalaa is the shaafee and that the medicine...(healthy/chemical) is just a sabab/cause!!

umm-sulaim
07-22-2006, 12:01 AM
without a doubt!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.