/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can You Draw A livingThing???

Taqiyah
06-30-2006, 04:10 AM
:salaam:
:muslimah: Hi everyone...:) I signed up for Advanced Placement Art class next school year and I am sure I will be asked to draw a person or an animal or something like that:?
Just how Haram is drawing a livingthing in Islam???:?
Or is it Haram at all??:?
I am really not sure if I should take Art or just drop it...:? I am countin on u guys to help me with the subject..:sister:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-30-2006, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
:muslimah: Hi everyone...:) I signed up for Advanced Placement Art class next school year and I am sure I will be asked to draw a person or an animal or something like that:?
Just how Haram is drawing a livingthing in Islam???:?
Or is it Haram at all??:?
I am really not sure if I should take Art or just drop it...:? I am countin on u guys to help me with the subject..:sister:
You may want to check with the art instructor as most art courses I know of allow much freedom in the choice of subjects.

I can only say I am not aware of any Muslim portrait artists and I have never seen any Muslim art work that was not stylized plants or calligraphy.

Taqiyah
06-30-2006, 04:23 AM
:thankyou: Thanks Woodrow but I already did that...:uhwhat But there is this rule that everybody should draw him/herself at least once:rollseyes and I don;t think there is a way out of it.:grumbling

lolwatever
06-30-2006, 04:27 AM
yeh its deffo haram coz a man came to the prophet n told him that he draws and sculpts things for a living, and then the prophet told him 'then stick to trees and rocks (i.e. non-living nature)'

art is cool (well digital art atleast :p) ... but yeh just subtract the humans n animals and monsters etc.. lol

enjoy
salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hijrah
06-30-2006, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You may want to check with the art instructor as most art courses I know of allow much freedom in the choice of subjects.

I can only say I am not aware of any Muslim portrait artists and I have never seen any Muslim art work that was not stylized plants or calligraphy.
no, there are plenty of portraits of Saladin and Harun Al-Rashid

You can ony draw living things as long as the facial features aren't there

IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
i loved art too (still do) but one of the reasons i gave it up is because of the 'drawing living things' thing..
now i just do painting and calligraphy in my spare time..

Daffodil
06-30-2006, 01:41 PM
How haram is it??? Its totaly totaly haram....

Making pictures of animate beings is completely haraam, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth that were narrated concerning that. For example, the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Those who make these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them: ‘Give life to that which you have created.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5951; Muslim, 2108. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of the people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5950; Muslim, 2109.

But one can draw pictures of parts of the body such as the hand, foot, and so on.

Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 12/325.

It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim). This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3 – interpretation of the meaning]

IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
also in sahih bukhari "cursed are the picture-makers"

------
06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Yup...not allowed akhtee

06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Is it ok to draw a picture and then destroy it:?

------
06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't think so coz ur not meant to draw it in the first place r u...

IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
I don't think so coz ur not meant to draw it in the first place r u...
I have to agree with you aalimah

Daffodil
06-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Of course its not lol! thats like saying, can i drink a pint of larger then puking it out again. lol it defeats the whole object!

muslim_friend
06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim). This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth.
JazakAllah. Now.. I don't understand why some muslims are making animated movies.. :?

Daffodil
06-30-2006, 05:41 PM
because they are just ignorant. May Allah swt giv them hidayah ameen.

rubiesand
06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Read this for a scholarly take on the issue. As you will see, its not as black and white as some might believe.

Daffodil
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Read this for a scholarly take on the issue. As you will see, its not as black and white as some might believe.
The fatwa u posted has no daleel or use of hadiths/quran etc.

Here is a fatwa from http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=40054&dgn=4 which explains it much better with the use of hadith.

For many centuries people had no need of pictures when teaching and explaining to others, but despite that they were more knowledgeable than us and more efficient in their pursuit of knowledge; the fact that they did not use pictures did not adversely affect their studies and they were not lacking in understanding. Based on this, is it not permissible for us to commit an action that Allaah has forbidden by making pictures because we think it is essential. It is not essential, because we know that people did without them for many centuries.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/684.

Hijrah
06-30-2006, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
That Fatwa was by Yusuf Qaradawi, do you know who that is? I don't see the harm in photographs as long a they are not hung, but other stuff he was sayig is false but read here on Qaradawi anyway,

http://www.islamicthinkers.com/index...=416&Itemid=74

he's obviously a modernist

rubiesand
06-30-2006, 11:44 PM
This has the potential to turn into a sectarian debate of Salafi versus Traditional/Modern schools of thought, which would not be a good outcome. Everyone is free to make their own mature decision of what school of thought to follow, and let's try and avoid backbiting in the process.

Hijrah
07-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I guess I didn't mean to backbite but some schoar are in serious need to be avoided. Look, the guy referred to Christians as brothers...even I know that is in no way possible.

Taqiyah
07-01-2006, 02:57 AM

I want u guys to know that this is for educational purpose only I am not doin this to honor somebody or anything like that:X :ooh: .............ummm but I think I can still drop the class:) :shade: :inshallah

Thank guys........:thankyou: :sister:

Abdul-Raouf
07-01-2006, 03:07 AM
A photo of a living thing - or an art of it ............ both are not allowed...

My country was ruled by Muslims for more than 600 years.......

During that time some of the beautiful buildings were built... filled with artistry....... but none had any living thing figure.....
example - Taj Mahal.

We Muslims should never encourage anyone to draw pics of living thingss.......

And also dont hang photos/arts of living things............bcos if u do that then Malak (Angel) wont enter ur house.............

Hijrah
07-01-2006, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
A photo of a living thing - or an art of it ............ both are not allowed...

My country was ruled by Muslims for more than 600 years.......

During that time some of the beautiful buildings were built... filled with artistry....... but none had any living thing figure.....
example - Taj Mahal.

We Muslims should never encourage anyone to draw pics of living thingss.......

And also dont hang photos/arts of living things............bcos if u do that then Malak (Angel) wont enter ur house.............
Yet, the Taj Mahal also has Hindu influence on it, and Shah Jahan felt the need to have the hands cut off of the builders

Taqiyah
07-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Asalama Alaikum........
:? What about dolls......little kids really love them..:statisfie

muslim_friend
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Asalama Alaikum........
:? What about dolls......little kids really love them..:statisfie
Dolls are okay. Aisha(r) used to play with dolls.. :)

umm-sulaim
07-01-2006, 08:38 PM
You can't draw anything with a soul, in arabic we say dhaat arwaah, so basically you can`t draw anything living.
You can draw trees, and nature., like landscapes and that, the prophet sallalahu alayhi wassalm said, "the curse of Allah is upon the musawwireen (drawers) and Allah orders the person that draws to breathe life into the thing they've drawn.
After readin this, i`m sure you wouldn`t want to draw dolls, cute or not lol.
As for ohotos then we have hadeeth jaabir if i`m not mistaken that the prophet sallalahu alayhi wassalam said "Angels don`t enter the house that has pictures or a dog" (in meaning.) agreed upon.

Fishman
07-01-2006, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
:sl:
I understand why artistic depictions of people or animals are not allowed (I still don't understand why this forum has smilies on it), but I don't think photos are prohibited. They are basically the same as mirrors.
:w:

Daffodil
07-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Sis it doesnt matter if its for educational purposes, the fatwa i posted previously answers that.

Also some one mentioned about the dolls issue n that aisha ra used to play with dolls....its more complicated then u think because the dolls we have these days have faces and a very detailed and much more different to the dolls they had in those times as those dolls were made from sticks n rags. And also some scholars say that the prohibition of images came after the time that aisha ra played with dolls so there fore that wud include dolls. do a search on islam q and a n ull get a more detailed explanation.

Isa Abdullah
07-01-2006, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah

You can ony draw living things as long as the facial features aren't there

bismillah

assalamu alaikum'

Can you post evidence on your position?

Fishman
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
And because so few Muslims do figurative art, these portraits are hardly good quality. I've seen better cartoons.

Taqiyah
07-01-2006, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
And because so few Muslims do figurative art, these portraits are hardly good quality. I've seen better cartoons.
I guess that is the idea:) Muslims are not suppose to do it so why bother:rollseyes ??

Abdulwaheed
07-02-2006, 04:07 AM
my younger brother draws cartoon characters from cartoons he watches when he was a kid.. are things like pokemon (pocket monsters) also banned?

Fishman
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
my younger brother draws cartoon characters from cartoons he watches when he was a kid.. are things like pokemon (pocket monsters) also banned?
I wouldn't think watching things like Pokemon is a good idea anway. It can make you waste loads of money on stupid cards, can change your personality, and can generally wreck your life. Trust me, I've got experience of it.

lolwatever
07-02-2006, 09:48 AM
^^ hehe i agree, also its good idea to train kids since very young :)

many lil ones hav problems trying to conform to new standards when they're 13 or 14 because they been brought up in a passive way...

kids prime time is when they're 3 years to 7 years.. so u gotta make srue they're learning things properly and the right way.. so they find it easier when they're older

Aisha use to hav a doll, except that itw as without eyes n stuff...

*600th post.. in 9 years ill beat zak*

Muhammad
07-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Please refer to the following threads, where the issue has already been discussed:

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...res-haram.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...keep-pics.html

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.