/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would you honor the Bible, Torah of today as a Muslim?

al-fateh
06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
i have noticed something that people are talking about nowadays, and that is the issue of the bible and the torah being two holy books of Allah(swt). however we are not talking about the books of back in the days, we are talking about the books of nowadays.

Would you really think that the bible and the torah of today are studied so Muslims can follow them and honor them as previous revelations?

or would you think that we as Muslims given a book like the Quran should follow the Quran which is the greatest of all revealed books?

please respond and detail your answer so that we can get to a resolution to this matter.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
I think the Quran is enough for us -Allah said in the quran "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." (surah 5, verse 3)

Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allâh and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), Ya'qûb (Jacob), and to Al-Asbât [the twelve sons of Ya'qûb (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Mûsa (Moses) and 'Iesa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islâm)." (2:136)

we believe in all the revelations sent by Allah, but if they are now distorted then we can't go by them-and we don't need to because the quran is the last, final, complete, revelation from God.

if the other prophets were alive today they would also have to go by the quran-not their own books..-they would have to follow the last message sent to the last prophet.

Mawaddah
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
We as Muslims know clearly and have full knowledge that the books of the Christians and Jews today have been much distorted and much of it's context are far from the truth.

However that doesn't mean that all inside of it is an untruth, as there are still some parts of the Bible and Torah which may still be true.

However since we have our Qur'an, we must take only the Qur'an as our source of guidance and not the Torah and the Bible.Allah has said "This Day have those who reject Faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This Day have I perfected your Religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam As your religion."

We respect the Bible and the Torah simply because they are considered Holy by the Christians and the Jews and at one time Before they held the true words of Allah but not anymore. Allah has told us "And do not Slander those who Call on others besides Allah lest they Slander Allah out of enmity and without knowledge"

So anything in their books which go against the Qu'ran we leave it and anything which agrees with the Qur'an we take it, since The rulings of the Prophets before us are also to be followed by us Muslims just as long as they do not go against the Qur'an. Allah said in the Qur'an " And so be Guided with Their (the prophets before) Guidance"

Umar001
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Theres a Hadeeth of Umar or Uthman in which one had a piece of the Torah but the Prophet was upset, peace be upon him and told him if Moses was here he would follow Mohammed's law peace be upon them both.

Jesus' and Moses' messages were for their time and place so even if we did have the perfect scripture of theirs I dont see why we would look at that for any guidance.

Let alone Bibles now days.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Theres a Hadeeth of Umar or Uthman in which one had a piece of the Torah but the Prophet was upset, peace be upon him and told him if Moses was here he would follow Mohammed's law peace be upon them both.

Jesus' and Moses' messages were for their time and place so even if we did have the perfect scripture of theirs I dont see why we would look at that for any guidance.

Let alone Bibles now days.
yes-i remember that hadith too-i think it was umer (ra) but i dunno the reference..?

Umar001
06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marya1
yes-i remember that hadith too-i think it was umer (ra) but i dunno the reference..?
I was going to look for it but Im sure someone will find it inshallah

Woodrow
06-30-2006, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
We as Muslims know clearly and have full knowledge that the books of the Christians and Jews today have been much distorted and much of it's context are far from the truth.

However that doesn't mean that all inside of it is an untruth, as there are still some parts of the Bible and Torah which may still be true.

However since we have our Qur'an, we must take only the Qur'an as our source of guidance and not the Torah and the Bible.Allah has said "This Day have those who reject Faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This Day have I perfected your Religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam As your religion."

We respect the Bible and the Torah simply because they are considered Holy by the Christians and the Jews and at one time Before they held the true words of Allah but not anymore. Allah has told us "And do not Slander those who Call on others besides Allah lest they Slander Allah out of enmity and without knowledge"

So anything in their books which go against the Qu'ran we leave it and anything which agrees with the Qur'an we take it, since The rulings of the Prophets before us are also to be followed by us Muslims just as long as they do not go against the Qur'an. Allah said in the Qur'an " And so be Guided with Their (the prophets before) Guidance"
"So anything in their books which go against the Qu'ran we leave it and anything which agrees with the Qur'an we take it, since The rulings of the Prophets before us are also to be followed by us Muslims just as long as they do not go against the Qur'an. Allah said in the Qur'an " And so be Guided with Their (the prophets before) Guidance"

Good words. If we follow them, I believe they will keep us on the sirhat mustaqeem

al-fateh
06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
well its good to clarify things before going furhter on.

when someone speaks highly of the bible and uses Quranic references to back it up, and he is reffering to the bible of today...this what i meant by honoring it, as in respecting it.

Then woe to those who write the book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #79)

before the revelation islam to prophet Muhammad(pbuh) the world was half split between who followed the idols, and those who followed Allah, but in a corrupt manner. Among them the Jews and the Christians. Along history the authenticity of the bible, and the Torah have been lost due to the tampering of those who do not fear Allah and the last day. Thats even before the message of Islam came along. So as a truth to what is said in the Quran, the above verse came along, because it was a clear phenomena to those who write books and claim that this is revealed to them from Allah. The proof to such happening is the clear distortion of thoughts and reasoning in the bible, and the Torah.

thus , Allah (swt) said:

It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the gospel (of Jesus).
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #3)

as u can see Christians and Jews are mentioned above, and a confirmation to the truth delivered to Moses and Jesus(they are prophets, so there is no doubt that the message to them was true) is completed with the Quran and a back up to what they had.

this leads us to say that the most glorious book a Muslim should abide by is the Quran

IceQueen~
06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
you said it urself masha allah-i'd give you reps but i've run-out...:(

------
06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Kool thread akhee jazakallah

Hijrah
06-30-2006, 11:29 PM
obviously anything in there that isnt contradictory to the Quran

Zulkiflim
07-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Salaam,

We muslim revere the old book for they are form Allah to a certain race.

the Quran is for ALL races not just one race.

Also,please dont say bible for muslim do not recognize the bible..we prefer the torah according to the propehts and the gospel according to prophet jesus which now dont exist.

muslim_friend
07-03-2006, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
obviously anything in there that isnt contradictory to the Quran
Anything that isn't contradictory to the Qur'an is truth of course. if a holy book mentions .."Do not kill an innocent man..", then that is truth, because it doesn't contradict the Qur'an. But the Question is: Are these Allah's s.w.t exact words? It could/couldn't be.. this is where we gotto be careful. And this is why cannot accept any verses of the Bible, though they may not contradict the Qur'an.

north_malaysian
07-03-2006, 06:38 AM
I honored every books (knowledge ones) available, but I only kiss one - the Koran.

khushnood
07-03-2006, 07:01 AM
According To My Own Intellect, We Should Follow The Final Revelation,ie,the Quran,coz',the Earlier Books Were Meant For The People Of Some Particular Nation,but The Quran Is Meant For One & All,and Didnt Allah Himself Mention In D Quran That D Earlier Revelations Had Been Corrupted.

Allah-creation
07-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Muslims follow one book, Quran. We do respect the earlier revilations, Angel and Torah. Because they were once the true word of god, unfortunately they are corrupted. Quran is the only revilation that is not changed by man ideas, because god is protecting it. Also millions of muslims memorize all the Quran by heart, so even if all the Quran were to vanish, there will be a new Quran on the next day, exactly identical. Muslims are to follow the last revilation given to humanity, which is theQuran.

adeeb
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
in my opinion, why God give the quran to us as a muslim?
because that book contain all of the stuff for muslim. we have to know that today's bible and torah are different with the book given to jesus and Daud. and in today bible and torah no respect to our God (Allah) and has different value with what muslim has to do.

so why we a have to believe in bible and torah today? the book that already changed by human ?

the quran is the last book and the most complete book about the right path to the God.

Ghazi
07-14-2006, 03:13 PM
:sl:

No I won't honour those books today cause they aint the word of god.

Isa Abdullah
07-17-2006, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
in my opinion, why God give the quran to us as a muslim?
because that book contain all of the stuff for muslim. we have to know that today's bible and torah are different with the book given to jesus and Daud. and in today bible and torah no respect to our God (Allah) and has different value with what muslim has to do.

so why we a have to believe in bible and torah today? the book that already changed by human ?

the quran is the last book and the most complete book about the right path to the God.
bismillah

I agree, brother. There is no need to use the Bible as a source of guidance. Because the Qur'an supercedes that book.

Woodrow
07-20-2006, 03:55 AM
Today all that exists of the NT (Gospels)are the translations of the words of the Apostles. These are the words of people that are not prophets and are their own views. Also even these have been changed and altered through translations and revisions.

Some evidence of this will be seen in the wording of the Lord's Prayer. The prayer said today bears little resemblance to the English translation and no resemblence to the existing versions in Aramaic.

We also have many English versions of the Gospels, it would be impossible to determine which version is the most accurate. There is no way to say with certainty that the NT is true. Although some parts may contain true words of God(swt) we can not seperate the fact from the error.

Isa Abdullah
07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
bismillah

assalaamu alaikum'

Can you pm or post the reference of your source?

Djinn
07-21-2006, 12:20 AM

I would to some extent since the Bible and Torah depicts the life of Adam and Eve, and the New Testiment depicts the Prophet Isa (pbuh). So in my opinion, we should honor the People of the Book.

Isa Abdullah
07-21-2006, 12:25 AM
bismillah

Greetings,

All people should be honored regardless of their faith. Faith does not place a value on a human life. As Muhammad (saw) clearly showed us. The People of the Book are worshippers of God as well, in a different way, but perhaps the intention is there. Allaah (SWT) knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.