/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim writer says Mary may help bring religions together

glo
07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I came across this article, which suggests Chrsitians and Muslims should visit each others holy sites for greater mutual understanding.

It particularly suggests that Mary, mother of Jesus, is a common figure between the two faiths:

Magdi Allam of Il Corriere della Sera has appealed to fellow Muslims through the pages of the national daily – suggesting that they should visit Marian shrines (something that many Protestants would struggle to do).

Explains Allam: “Mary is a figure present in the Holy Qur’an, which dedicates an entire chapter to her and mentions her some thirty times. In Muslim countries there are Marian shrines that are the object of veneration and pilgrimage by Christian and Muslim faithful alike.”

He continues: If this happens in Muslim countries, why can it not happen in a Christian country, especially in this historical phase in which we need to define symbols, values and figures that unite religions, spiritualities and cultures?”

In Mr Allam's opinion, “the Marian pilgrimage of Loreto – Italy’s National Shrine - could represent a moment of meeting and spiritual gathering between Muslims and Catholics, around Mary, a religious figure that is venerated by both religions.”
Does this seem controversial to some? Or is it a positive way forward?

While Islam rejects the Christian beliefs in Jesus’ unique filial relation to God, the crucifixion, and the Trinity (which it sees as undermining monotheism), it holds Jesus in high regard as a prophet, shares different versions of many biblical texts which are foundational in Christianity, and has respect for Mary.

Just under two years ago [September 2004, at al-Azhar al-Sharif, Cairo], Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams delivered a widely praised paper to Muslim scholars in Egypt, giving an account of basic Christian beliefs and seeking to correct misunderstandings about them – not least over Trinitarian thought.

Ironically, there is perhaps a greater difference between some Christians about Mary (who Catholics and Orthodox see as ‘the mother of God’ and strong Protestants as simply a human agent) than between some Catholics and Muslims.
Here is the full article. (I recommend you read it. It's neither long nor difficult to read.)
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/ne...6073mary.shtml
When you open the link you may have to click on the relevant link on the right side.

Peace.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 10:08 AM
:peace: :)

Glo i wouldnt mind visiting the church but plz understand and dont get offended but i cant stand statues and music and i dont know why but my heart feels completely unsettled when i go near a church... It puts some kind of hesitation in my heart. I dont know why this is but its the reason to this day i've never stepped in a church so your beautiful idea isnt possible for me :X .

PS: My apologies for any offence caused.

:peace:

glo
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

Glo i wouldnt mind visiting the church but plz understand and dont get offended but i cant stand statues and music and i dont know why but my heart feels completely unsettled when i go near a church... It puts some kind of hesitation in my heart. I dont know why this is but its the reason to this day i've never stepped in a church so your beautiful idea isnt possible for me :X .

PS: My apologies for any offence caused.

No offence taken, Abd'Majid. :)
But you must know that not all churches are full of ornaments, statues and so forth.
Our church congregation doesn't even have a building. We meet in a school hall on a Sunday morning. But boy, we do have music! ;D

I know exactly what you mean though.
I have been invited to visit a mosque, and I don't think I can make myself go.
The whole idea of having to cover myself to be allowed to worship my Creator goes so much against my innermost beliefs.
And the thought of people moving simultaneously in prayer makes me feel uneasy big time! :X

I think we can only do what we feel comfortable doing. You probably feel the same about visiting a church as I do about visiting a mosque.

But I don't think the article is necessarily suggesting visiting each others places of worship. It is talking about visiting holy sites, which represent people cherished and respected by both faiths (such as Mary).

In Muslim countries there are Marian shrines that are the object of veneration and pilgrimage by Christian and Muslim faithful alike
Interestingly, I never knew that Muslims had shrines.
As they say ... you learn something new every day! :)

Peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 04:12 PM
i find any shrines dodgy, the only thing i accept is the ka'aba and the blackstone which rasullulah saws kissed. The rest are just for visits. Pilgrimages are made only to makkah!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Glo, jus outa curiosity what do you take to be a Shrine?

muslim_friend
07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
The whole idea of having to cover myself to be allowed to worship my Creator goes so much against my innermost beliefs.
Hmmm.. so Christian women in the west do not cover their heads while praying? very strange. The Christian women here always cover their heads when they pray. :rollseyes

Does this seem controversial to some? Or is it a positive way forward?
Sounds to me like an act of shirk. Very similiar to the "dargas" some muslims visit, though not exactly the same. Which muslim countrues have these 'shrines' anyway?

Umar001
07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Thats kinda what I thought, shirne = worship?

iLL_LeaT
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I have been to a mosque on a Friday a few months ago, and I am not a Muslim. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have experienced. Islam truly is a beautiful religion. And the whole thing only lasted 15 minuets, just a little praying and a little reading from the Quran. But I must have stayed afterwards for an hour or two talking about Islam. Well, I don’t know what the females do because they are separated for praying (Oh… why do women have to be so distracting). If noting more, I suggest you hear the Quran read in Arabic. In English, it is a little bland, but in Arabic, it is like poetry, very beautiful. I don’t know if you have heard the story of Umar bin al-Khattab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_ibn_al-Khattab) who was converted upon hearing the Quran, and after personally hearing the Quran, it seems very plausible.

I also suggest going to a synagogue.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 05:50 PM
^ Alhamdullilah :)

:salamext:

- Qatada -
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey iLL_LeaT.

You may want to download some top recitations off this link insha'Allaah (God willing.)

http://quran.jalisi.com

My favourite recitor - sa'ad al ghamdi :)

Peace.

glo
07-03-2006, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Glo, jus outa curiosity what do you take to be a Shrine?
I haven't got a clue. I've never been to one.
I know there are places of pilgrimage, such as Lourdes, where somebody is said to have received a vision from God, and where people go for healing, prayer and generally a spiritual experience.
I believe it is more common in the Catholic church.

What do you think is a shrine?

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
What do you think is a shrine?
A place where remnances of a historic figure can be found and remembered... i may be wrong :embarrass

1.A container or receptacle for sacred relics; a reliquary.

2. The tomb of a venerated person, such as a saint.
A place at which devotion is paid to a venerated person.

3.A site hallowed by a venerated object or its associations: Independence Hall, shrine of American liberty
hey i got it close to no.3 :D

glo
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend
Hmmm.. so Christian women in the west do not cover their heads while praying? very strange. The Christian women here always cover their heads when they pray. :rollseyes
That's interesting.
Where do you live? It could be a cultural thing, or a denomination which promotes that women cover their heads during prayer.
Personally I have never covered my head during prayer, nor ever met a woman who did. :)

Sounds to me like an act of shirk. Very similiar to the "dargas" some muslims visit, though not exactly the same. Which muslim countrues have these 'shrines' anyway?
That's what I was wondering, too. I had never heard about Muslim shrines ...
Having said that, the Ka'ba itself sounds like a shrine to me ... but I'm sure that's different :?

Peace.

glo
07-03-2006, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT
I have been to a mosque on a Friday a few months ago, and I am not a Muslim. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have experienced. Islam truly is a beautiful religion. And the whole thing only lasted 15 minuets, just a little praying and a little reading from the Quran. But I must have stayed afterwards for an hour or two talking about Islam. Well, I don’t know what the females do because they are separated for praying (Oh… why do women have to be so distracting). If noting more, I suggest you hear the Quran read in Arabic. In English, it is a little bland, but in Arabic, it is like poetry, very beautiful. I don’t know if you have heard the story of Umar bin al-Khattab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_ibn_al-Khattab) who was converted upon hearing the Quran, and after personally hearing the Quran, it seems very plausible.

I also suggest going to a synagogue.
Sounds like you had an interesting time. :)

I sure don't think it's my way of worship though ... :rollseyes

What was it like in the synagoge then?

peace.

- Qatada -
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
:salamext:

I think shrines aren't permissible within islam, even though some sects may follow that ideology. But Allaah Almighty knows best.

Read this thread for more info insha'Allaah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...hlight=shrines

:wasalamex

Joe98
07-03-2006, 10:59 PM
and i dont know why but my heart feels completely unsettled when i go near a church... ....

What a coincidence! I have visited some mosques beautifully decorated in Turkey.

Inside these mosques my heart feels completely unsettled and so I will never enter another.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
What a coincidence! I have visited some mosques beautifully decorated in Turkey.

Inside these mosques my heart feels completely unsettled and so I will never enter another.
weird isnt it, i guess it all depends on peoples way of thinking :?

muslim_friend
07-04-2006, 02:27 AM
I'd say the reason why people from other faiths feel uncomfy is because of their cultural differences.

That's interesting.
Where do you live? It could be a cultural thing, or a denomination which promotes that women cover their heads during prayer.
Personally I have never covered my head during prayer, nor ever met a woman who did. :)
You'll find women covering their heads in most of the churches here, as far as i know, .I don't know the reason. The only time when they dont cover their heads, with respect to religion, is when they attend Lectures..

I come from the city of Chennai, in the southern part of India... yes, i should've mentioned that.

That's what I was wondering, too. I had never heard about Muslim shrines ...
Having said that, the Ka'ba itself sounds like a shrine to me ... but I'm sure that's different :?
Not at all, 'shrine' is usually a place of veneration, and where people pay their respects to others who have passed away.. but the kaaba is a place of worship..

Umar001
07-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I'd say the reason why people from other faiths feel uncomfy is because of their cultural differences.

You'll find women covering their heads in most of the churches here, as far as i know, .I don't know the reason. The only time when they dont cover their heads, with respect to religion, is when they attend Lectures..

I come from the city of Chennai, in the southern part of India... yes, i should've mentioned that.
Hmm it does seem that in less 'developed' or so countries such practicies are still held, which tend to conform more to the Bible I guess.

Like in my Country back home, they do this, but now when we go church I dont see anyone doing it anymore.

And where back in my country they didnt have women leading sermons in my moms church they do

muslim_friend
07-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hmm it does seem that in less 'developed' or so countries such practicies are still held, which tend to conform more to the Bible I guess
Old Testament init? I suddenly remembered.

Umar001
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Old Testament init? I suddenly remembered.
Hmm, I think there are quotes of the old testament where women were veild, but I have seen more evidence for it in the new testament.

It also seems to stem down from tradion of those areas, which some could argue have been passed down since those days.

Woodrow
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
From my understanding of Christianity (Mostly limited to Catholic and Eastern Orthodox) a woman is to be veiled and her head covered before entering a Church, atlthough a woman is not to be kept out simply because she fails to do so.

Umar001
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
From my understanding of Christianity (Mostly limited to Catholic and Eastern Orthodox) a woman is to be veiled and her head covered before entering a Church, atlthough a woman is not to be kept out simply because she fails to do so.
I've never read that Biblically. With regards to entering the church.

Hijrah
07-05-2006, 04:07 AM

Nuns?!...

Woodrow
07-05-2006, 05:14 AM
I've never read that Biblically. With regards to entering the church.
Keep in mind Catholochism and Orthodox Christian churches also follow the Church Canons in addition to the bible.

north_malaysian
07-05-2006, 07:39 AM
I've been to several famous Chinese temples in Penang, kinda exciting, especially the Snake temple.
I've been to Thai Buddhist Wat, to a Methodist Church and Jewish cemeteries.

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 05:43 PM
weird isnt it, i guess it all depends on peoples way of thinking :?

Yes, I think it is conditioning from childhood or newly adopted religious fervor.

Umar001
07-07-2006, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Keep in mind Catholochism and Orthodox Christian churches also follow the Church Canons in addition to the bible.

Yep

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.