/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A woman travelling on her own

youngsister
07-04-2006, 07:33 PM
:sl:
InshAllah i am looking to do some voluntary work in Africa once i finish with my studies. (Doing nursing).
Is it haram for me to do so, none of my mahram would be there.
My friend told me is haram but i am not sure.
Wasalam :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
InshAllah i am looking to do some voluntary work in Africa once i finish with my studies. (Doing nursing).
Is it haram for me to do so, none of my mahram would be there.
My friend told me is haram but i am not sure.
Wasalam :)
:w:

I'm actually not avoiding your question with my reply. It may be a bit difficult for you to understand what I I am attempting to say.

You do have a nice dream and it is a good cause. Yet, perhaps the skills you gain are more needed where you now live. Perhaps there may be what seems to be roadblocks to your long term goal. But, do not look at them as being road blocks, see them as being road maps. Understand that if you are following in the will of Allah(swt), questions will often never come up as things will be clear.

Daffodil
07-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Question :

What is the ruling on a woman travelling without a mahram because her work requires that of her?

Answer :

It is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel without a mahram.” This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) in his Musnad. Even if her work requires that of her, we say that if she cannot find a mahram then she should not travel.

I’laam al-Musaafireen bi Ba’d Aadaab wa Ahkaam al-Safar wa ma yakhuss al-Mallaaheen al-Jawwiyyeen by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 13 (www.islam-qa.com)

here is another fatwa...

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=82392&dgn=4

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Question :

What is the ruling on a woman travelling without a mahram because her work requires that of her?

Answer :

It is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel without a mahram.” This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) in his Musnad. Even if her work requires that of her, we say that if she cannot find a mahram then she should not travel.

I’laam al-Musaafireen bi Ba’d Aadaab wa Ahkaam al-Safar wa ma yakhuss al-Mallaaheen al-Jawwiyyeen by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 13 (www.islam-qa.com)

here is another fatwa...

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=82392&dgn=4
Is this still true in modern society? The reason I ask is because I've never heard of this or known a Muslim woman to restrict her travel.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
07-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Modern or not Modern - Its Islam! And there is nor modern or old version of Islam!

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Modern or not Modern - Its Islam! And there is nor modern or old version of Islam!

So would the "Modern Muslims" be considered something other than Muslim?

Malaikah
07-07-2006, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
It is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel without a mahram.” This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) in his Musnad.

i thought the hadith said a mahram is needed if they are travelling for more than three days?:?

------
07-07-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't understand what u mean. Care to elaborate?

Malaikah
07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
They are just Muslims living in modern times. The Islamic law doesnt change just because times change. Thus, the ruling on women travelling applies today just as it did in the prophets time.

SirZubair
07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Sisters,get off the internet.

Grab hold of a Mahram then come back on the forum...

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 08:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
They are just Muslims living in modern times. The Islamic law doesnt change just because times change. Thus, the ruling on women travelling applies today just as it did in the prophets time.

So they are still Muslims, just sinful Muslims? I'm not trying to be rude, this just startles me.

Malaikah
07-07-2006, 08:17 AM
So they are still Muslims, just sinful Muslims? I'm not trying to be rude, this just startles me.
Why are we sinful for being born in this time? What are you talking about exactly?

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
Why are we sinful for being born in this time? What are you talking about exactly?

I'm talking about women traveling on their own. I have never known a Muslim lady to travel with male supervision. If such women know this isn't Islamic then they are either sinning intentionally or do not believe that it is a sin. Does this sound logical?

Malaikah
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Travelling doesnt mean to the shops or something, its talking about long distance stuff.

S_87
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Sisters,get off the internet.

Grab hold of a Mahram then come back on the forum...

why do you say that bro :)

Daffodil
07-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm talking about women traveling on their own. I have never known a Muslim lady to travel with male supervision. If such women know this isn't Islamic then they are either sinning intentionally or do not believe that it is a sin. Does this sound logical?
A muslim woman cannot travel on her own, the majority of the scholars say if she travels 47 + miles she has to travel with a mahram, this is to ensure her safety and many other reasons im sure.

Its for the own womans benefit, its not that she cant go out n have a life, we're talking long distance here.

In terms of modern muslims etc, well islam is perfect but the ppl arent, so yes u are going to get some ppl who break the rules but no one is perfect.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.