/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Feminist

searchingsoul
07-14-2006, 02:38 AM
How are feminists viewed by muslims? I ask because a lot of Christians do not support feminism. I wanted to know the Islamic opinion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
07-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Basically, Muslim women dont need feminism. We have our rights already- those given to us by God. There are no better rights than these. And so many of the things that feminists fight for are totally against Islam anyway.

May I ask why chiristian women dont support it?

north_malaysian
07-14-2006, 02:43 AM
'Sisters in Islam' is the most famous feminist movement in Malaysia. Great majority of Malaysian Muslims hate them.

searchingsoul
07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
Basically, Muslim women dont need feminism. We have our rights already- those given to use by God. There are no better rights than these. And so many of the things that feminists fight for are totally against Islam anyway.

May I ask why chiristian women dont support it?
Some do and some don't. From what I gather some christians do not support feminist actions because feminists are largely associated with abortion rights, sexual liberation, etc...

Don't get me wrong I'm not a feminist. I doubt that they'd like me all that much.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
07-14-2006, 02:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Some do and some don't. From what I gather some christians do not support feminist actions because feminists are largely associated with abortion rights, sexual liberation, etc...
In Malaysia, Sisters in Islam (SIS) support pluralism, freedom of apostacy, woman as imam in mixed congregation, anti-polygamy, anti-Hijab. They have their voices on many local newspapers and 'Al Islam' magazine.

Salah ad-din
07-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Aisha(ra) - Army Commander
Khadijah(ra) - financial supporter of her husband
Mary(p) - Most honered woman in Islam
Rabbia - The only saint in Islam
Fatima(ra) - has a sect named after her....

Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings. A marriage dowry is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband's.
Both men and women are expected to dress in a way which is modest and dignified; the traditions of female dress found in some Muslim countries are often the expression of local customs and not Islam it self.

Without women, there wouldn't be al-Islam as it is today.

Somalina
07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
~salaam~

Why should we have Islamic Feminist,
I think there are some "fake" muslims males
who step on the women's rights,in the name of islam.

Sisters should care for their fellow sisters n tell her about her rights

I personally cant relate to the feminist groups that exist now.I mean they hold meetings to curse men or wat;D
Islam provides total freedom to women,that's why many of the converts are women:happy:

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Somalina
~salaam~

Why should we have Islamic Feminist,
I think there are some "fake" muslims males
who step on the women's rights,in the name of islam.

Sisters should care for their fellow sisters n tell her about her rights

I personally cant relate to the feminist groups that exist now.I mean they hold meetings to curse men or wat;D
Islam provides total freedom to women,that's why many of the converts are women:happy:
I don't agree with alot of the feminist agenda. But they have obtained rights for women which they previously did not have. Many of these rights are enjoyed by muslim women as well.

adi8putra
07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
In Malaysia, Sisters in Islam (SIS) support pluralism, freedom of apostacy, woman as imam in mixed congregation, anti-polygamy, anti-Hijab. They have their voices on many local newspapers and 'Al Islam' magazine.
.....& most of them dont even aware that there is a verse in the Quran for them to cover themselves in hijab! ....& if they ever did, most would be more than happy not to obliged, & yet they call themselves Sister in Islam...:giggling:

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adi8putra
.....& most of them dont even aware that there is a verse in the Quran for them to cover themselves in hijab! ....& if they ever did, most would be more than happy not to obliged, & yet they call themselves Sister in Islam...:giggling:
You have a point. Some of the freedoms female muslims enjoy and appreciate are ignored by other female muslims. I'm not saying ones right or wrong. There's just a difference in opinion or practice.

S_87
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salah ad-din

Aisha(ra) - Army Commander
Khadijah(ra) - financial supporter of her husband
Mary(p) - Most honered woman in Islam
Rabbia - The only saint in Islam
Fatima(ra) - has a sect named after her....

:sl:

saint? whats a saint?

Ghazi
07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

Subahnallah may allah guide them.

aakhirah
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

saint? whats a saint?

I'm assuming it's referring to a Walee (Friend) of Allah, in which case there are (and were) many more, wAllaahu a'lam.

:w:

A.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.