/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Names of Allah (swt) and Mohammed (pbuh) in the Mosque

M H Kahn
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I often find mosques with names of Allah (swt) and Mohammed (pbuh) imprinted to the right and the left of the mehrab respectively. These imprintments may imply that the mosque is a partnership institution for worship of Allah and Mohammed alike.

I feel no mosque should have such imprintments; but there may be Allah's name only on both sides of the mehrab.

Allah says:"And all places of worship belong to ALLAH; so call not on anyone beside ALLAH.[72:18]

The imprintments of "Allah" to the right and "Mohammed" to the left of the mehrab inside the mosque may signify that the mosque is for the worship of Allah and his messenger, Muhammed (pbuh).

But you cannot worship any other entity (directly or indirectly) but Allah alone. So you cannot imprint the name "Muhammed" too, in the mosque to elevate him( Muhammed) to the status of as an entity parallel to Allah.

Allah says: "And put your trust in ALLAH, if you are believers." [5:23]

Elevating the name "Mohammed" as a parallel to "Allah" may be shirk.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sevgi
07-15-2006, 10:11 AM
dnt think thats the intention of the mosques...dnt think anyone who puts the name of the prophet pbuh nxt to that of Allah does it disrespectfully...maybe if the prophets name was on top of Allahs names, then ok,,,it may be shirk and/or disrespect....

M H Kahn
07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
dnt think thats the intention of the mosques...dnt think anyone who puts the name of the prophet pbuh nxt to that of Allah does it disrespectfully...maybe if the prophets name was on top of Allahs names, then ok,,,it may be shirk and/or disrespect....
If their intention is not to elevate Mohammed (pbuh) to the lofty status of a deity, then what is the philosophy that prompts them to write "Allah" and "Mohammed" at a straight line to the right and the left of the mehrab? Is their any religious necessity at all for writing the name of any prophet in the mosque? If no, then why this innovation? Isn't it to associate the prophet as a partner in the worship of Allah?

Allah says: "This is of what your Lord has revealed to you of wisdom, and do not associate any other god with Allah lest you should be thrown into hell, blamed, cast away." (17:39)

I feel wherever we find any mosque with 'Allah' and 'Mohammed" imprinted on the right and the left of the mehrab, we should ask them to replace 'Mohammed' by 'Allah'. Mohammed (pbuh) himself said "Do not extol me as the Christians extolled the son of Maryam (AS); I am no more than a slave (of Allah) and so (instead), say: Allah's Slave and His Messenger."
[Narrated by Al-Bukhaaree]

I think this is an important issue. We have to know if it is permissible to imprint 'Allah' to the right and 'Mohammed' to the left of the mehrab in the mosque. Allah says: "And the places of worship are only for Allah, so pray not unto anyone along with Allah." [72:18]

If the imprintment of 'Mohammed' on the same line to the left of the mehrab with 'Allah' to the right signifies that the mosque is for worshipping 'Allah' and 'Muhammed' alike, then this imprintment must be shirk. If this is not meant, then what have the people imprinted that name in the mosque for ? If you ask them that they have done wrong, some of them may roar to kill you. This reminds the verse: "And when the slave of Allah stood up in prayer to Him, they crowded on him, almost stifling. Say:I only call upon my Lord, and I do not associate any one with Him." [72:19-20]

Isn't it like turning the mosque into a polytheist institution of worship? Will someone come forward to express his/her view with document, if any?

imrano
07-20-2006, 06:33 PM
In all massgids i've prayed between the names of Allah and Muhammad is imprinted de first Kalimah LAAILAAHA IL-LAL-LAHO MUHAMMADUR - RASSULLUL-LAH. This makes clear who should be worshiped and who is Muhammad. So i think there is no problem in imprinting Allah and Muhammad names

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
07-20-2006, 06:45 PM
mashallah imran bro!!! :D

exactly, the shahada makes its obvious who is God, so its okily dokily, and ders nothing wrong with havin RasoolAllah (saw) name anywer, especially in the mosque!

- Qatada -
07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
:salamext:

Brother MH Kahn - i don't want to be personal or anything, but i've seen many of your posts which are similar in context. So just try to understand this aayah insha'Allaah:

The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers. Blood-relations among each other have closer personal ties, in the Decree of Allah. Than (the Brotherhood of) Believers and Muhajirs: nevertheless do ye what is just to your closest friends: such is the writing in the Decree (of Allah). (33:06)

I don't want a response on how others go to the extent of commiting shirk etc. But its just some naseehah to make you understand that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings be upon him) has more of a right over us, and we should love him (peace be upon him) more than we love ourselves or our families, friends etc.

jazak Allaahu khayr.

:wasalamex

M H Kahn
07-21-2006, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by imrano
In all massgids i've prayed between the names of Allah and Muhammad is imprinted de first Kalimah LAAILAAHA IL-LAL-LAHO MUHAMMADUR - RASSULLUL-LAH. This makes clear who should be worshiped and who is Muhammad. So i think there is no problem in imprinting Allah and Muhammad names
:sl:
This is not the case, brother. This is not the case of " la ilah illallahu muhammadur rasulullah'' which is seen imprinted in many mosques above the mehrab. Imprintment of the shahada is quite ok as this is the basis of our faith and we have to worship Allah following the teachings of Muhammed (pbuh), the final prophet of Allah. But when you write the word "Allah" only to one side and "Muhammed" only to the other side of the mehrab, definitely you transgress the limit of not associating any partner with Allah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:
Brother MH Kahn - i don't want to be personal or anything, but i've seen many of your posts which are similar in context. So just try to understand this aayah insha'Allaah:
The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers. Blood-relations among each other have closer personal ties, in the Decree of Allah. Than (the Brotherhood of) Believers and Muhajirs: nevertheless do ye what is just to your closest friends: such is the writing in the Decree (of Allah). (33:06)
I don't want a response on how others go to the extent of commiting shirk etc. But its just some naseehah to make you understand that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings be upon him) has more of a right over us, and we should love him (peace be upon him) more than we love ourselves or our families, friends etc.
jazak Allaahu khayr.
:wasalamex
Do you mean that one should manifest his love for the prophet (pbuh) by worshipping him or associating him as a partner in the worship which is due to Allah alone? If this is your 'naseehah, I pray Allah save the believers from the so-called 'naseehah'!

Mohammed H Kahn
07-21-2006, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M H Kahn
Do you mean that one should manifest his love for the prophet (pbuh) by worshipping him or associating him as a partner in the worship which is due to Allah alone? If this is your 'naseehah, I pray Allah save the believers from the so-called 'naseehah'!
Love for the prophet Muhammed (pbuh) during his lifetime might have been, for his companions, to comply with his orders even at the cost of their lives and sacrifice their lives in battlefields to protect the live of the prophet. Love for other people for the prophet during his lifetime might be supporting him and following his ideals in every sphere of life. Life for the prophet now may mean, as mentioned repeatedly in the Quran, not to differentiate between the messengers of Allah, respect and love them all and follow the teachings of the prophet. But some groups of overenthusiastic people always misinterpret "love fo the prophet" as praising him day and night and invoking him. While Allah says:"All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds." [1:2]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Brother, I appreciate to see your concern about this Ummah and about their sincerity. But instead of always pointing fingers. calling this/that shirk and saying that this/that is an innovation, why not work to improve ourselves first? We are not perfect, and we too may be commiting shirk/innovations out of ignorance just as most people that are commiting shirk are doing it out of ignorance. Lets first work to improve ourselves than to point fingers and say this/that is shirk, this/that is innovation.

Frankly, this pointing fingers is not the way of the Prophet :arabic5:. This type of methadology is not the methadology of the Prophet :arabic5: , nor is it of the companions nor of any of the Pious Predecassors. They were kind and they did not point out the faults of others openly. I am sure you are familiar with the story of the beduin that came and urinated in the Masjid and how the Prophet dealt with him.

I understand that you have a good intention, but the way you are going about it is not the correct way. Being extreme in any way is not from Islam, and the Prophet :arabic5: said:

"Destroyed are those who are extreme"

(Reported by Muslim on the authority of Ibn Mas'ood (ra) )

Therefore, lets work to improve ourselves with what limited knowledge we have and lets try to implement what we do know. And lets correct mistakes with the methadology of the Prophet :arabic5: . An excellent book regarding that can be downloaded here and read Inshallah:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...BD7B8D1A6577CA

Jazakallah Khair

:w:

Ps- :threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.